CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna and Gray Hair

+17
carfi366
Allaboutlife
luvlylocs
FloridaSunshiny
DvaAuNaturel
jamaicanmecurly
Sebastain13
MicaiahTy
tiashaunteé
NylaCoils
LilMsPuddles
curly+kinky+fierce
SisterBoyd
flyahead
brownsugar09
ChrsLvsBks
CurlyMo
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Henna and Gray Hair Empty Henna and Gray Hair

Post by CurlyMo 29th November 2009, 11:53 am

Hey anyone!!!! Im new to CN kinda!! I've been reading for months.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I henna with Jamila but my mom is gray and it didnt do such a good jon on her can anyone tell me what the best henna is for gray hair???...

Thanks
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Henna and Gray Hair Empty Re: Henna and Gray Hair

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th November 2009, 5:44 pm

Hi there Curlymo, henna alone will probably not be a good idea if your mom is more than 25% grey. The henna turned my grays a copper, brickred color. I would suggest going to hennaforhair.com and researching the mixes used on those with gray hair.

I use henna then indigo for darker hair. The gray hairs do not get darker but they are less brassy after the indigo application.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 4th December 2009, 6:37 am

ChrsLvsBks thank you so much today is my henna order day so i will do just that and read the mix's on hennaforhair to order for my mom as well she is lovin henna but the brickred color not so much.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ....

BTW your hair is sooooo beautiful.......
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by brownsugar09 4th December 2009, 5:04 pm

Hey Curlymo,
I have had grey hair all my life and I must agree with ChrsLvsBks, the henna itself turned my gray hair the color of copper wire. I too ordered my henna from henna for hair. The Yemen henna is recommened for grey hair with 2 parts indigo. The indigo made my non-gray hair jet black and my gray hair a light brown. I think next time I would use less indigo but overall the results were as expected. HTH :-).
brownsugar09
brownsugar09

Back to top Go down

Henna and Gray Hair Empty henna on gray

Post by flyahead 4th December 2009, 8:47 pm

OK, this is something that I am interested in...I bought some henna, but I bought it from Whole Foods....I'm hair lazy so I don't like to color my hair at all....but this halo of gray is driving me crazy....
but my outstanding question is how long does the henna seem to last on gray....anything else that I have tried, the gray seems to return in a matter of days....and as I said earlier I am hair lazy, so I am looking for the product that will cover the gray for 2-3 wks minimum.

Any suggestions?

T

flyahead

Back to top Go down

Post by brownsugar09 4th December 2009, 9:27 pm

Flyahead,

You may want to research previous threads re the henna from Whole Foods. I remember the comments being less than favorable. I have found that coloring with just plain henna gave my gray and undesired copper look. I definitely suggest the henna-indigo mix. So far as how long it lasts, I am going on three weeks and it looks the same as day 1. This is just my second time henna-ing :-).
brownsugar09
brownsugar09

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 7th December 2009, 5:36 am

I have light brown hair with grey and I use a cellophane to cover my gray. In the summer I use the blonde and this fall I've started using the red. I don't want black hair and in the summer I plan to go back to blond. What will henna do to my light brown and grey hair if I use it?
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 8th December 2009, 8:27 pm

I too have been gray all my life and seriously contemplating Henna (not to hide the gray tho I love it!) now im second guessing bc i dont want mine to turn a weird color! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 8th December 2009, 8:36 pm

flyahead wrote:OK, this is something that I am interested in...I bought some henna, but I bought it from Whole Foods....I'm hair lazy so I don't like to color my hair at all....but this halo of gray is driving me crazy....
but my outstanding question is how long does the henna seem to last on gray....anything else that I have tried, the gray seems to return in a matter of days....and as I said earlier I am hair lazy, so I am looking for the product that will cover the gray for 2-3 wks minimum.

Any suggestions?

T

DON'T use that henna!!!!!!!!! that was the first henna I used and it was THE WORST!!!!!!! the color din't take and I had to rinse my hair forever and it still didn't come out!!!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 8th December 2009, 8:54 pm

I have grey hair and I am a henna fanatic! I henna every 2-3 weeks for color and the conditioning benefits. The henna makes my hair look, as if I have highlights of an auburn color. My hair is normally a 2 (when I purchase weave)- a brownish black. I buy my henna from the local Indian grocery store.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by brownsugar09 8th December 2009, 9:31 pm

NylaCoils,

Do you add Amla or indigo to your henna? I am just curious about the color that the henna gives your "silver" hair :-). What brand of henna are you using?
brownsugar09
brownsugar09

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 8th December 2009, 10:24 pm

It gives my hair a auburnish color- like I have highlights. My hair is normally a brownish color but the greys are turn a auburn color. I buy different kinds of henna, depending on what the Indian grocery store has when I go in.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 14th December 2009, 11:44 am

@brownsugar09~
@chrsLvsBks~

I bought the Yemen Henna and the Indigo for my mom do you add the Indigo to the henna or is it a wash i do after the henna treatment??
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Henna and Gray Hair Empty Two Step Henna & Indigo for Me

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th December 2009, 3:04 pm

Curlymo wrote:@brownsugar09~
@chrsLvsBks~

I bought the Yemen Henna and the Indigo for my mom do you add the Indigo to the henna or is it a wash i do after the henna treatment??

I do henna first for a few hours then apply the indigo and let it sit an additional few hours. I get a darker color and better gray coverage.

I did mix amla and indigo in the henna to try to eliminate a step. The results were not as spectacular as I hoped--still had some gray roots [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . If you decide to mix in indigo with the henna, remember to do it after the dye has released from the henna (typically 12 hours).

HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 14th December 2009, 3:36 pm

My grays also resemble copper wire. I laugh at them now....they thought they had me but I won!! LOL
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MicaiahTy 17th May 2010, 12:54 pm

ok, i henna-ed for the very first time this weekend. I have copper streaks all over. LOL

I didnt realize i was THAT gray.. i like it and in the sun you can really see it. here are some photos.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (I spreaded my hair apart so you could see)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I did a twist and curl and im in love. my hair feels so soft. My hair was naturally brown and my roots were white as snow. I like the copper look, normally i color my hair copper anyway.

I used 150 grams of Supreme Henna, 1/2 alma, 3 table spoons of cinnimon, and a table spoon of honey.

I posted the videos on my youtube channel and im still uploading but i just wanted to share.

www.youtube.com/micaiahty

more photos to come.

MicaiahTy
MicaiahTy

https://www.youtube.com/micaiahty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 17th May 2010, 1:11 pm

I jus did tha BC a couple of wks ago & I was thinking of doing some Henna in my hair but was not sure because I have a TWA & did not think that it would help Also I am greying around my edges as well & I thought that it would help so I am not sure what to do so need some advice [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 17th May 2010, 6:26 pm

Sebastain- I like henna and i think it covers my grey well! I mix mine with yogurt. Sometimes, I will add yogurt or beet juice.
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicanmecurly 18th May 2010, 4:11 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:I jus did tha BC a couple of wks ago & I was thinking of doing some Henna in my hair but was not sure because I have a TWA & did not think that it would help Also I am greying around my edges as well & I thought that it would help so I am not sure what to do so need some advice [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a TWA and most of my grays are relegated to my edges and the henna works great to strengthen my hair and to cover my grays. The first application left my grays a coppery red but they are looking more auburn with each henna application.

I definitely plan to buy the yemen henna from hennaforhair.com when my current stash runs out.
jamaicanmecurly
jamaicanmecurly

http://thirtysomethingandsearching.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 6th June 2010, 1:55 pm

I am doing a henna treatment now. It's a mix that I froze a couple of months ago. I took it out last night and applied about an hour ago. I needed to cover my gray badly and although I want color I am trying desperately to avoid the chemicals from coloring my hair.

Anyway, my henna batch was kinda small because last time I mixed the henna w/indigo. But this time I wanted to do a two step henna then indigo. I didn't realize I didn't have enough henna to cover my hair until I had started applying... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I mostly want the front covered where the gray is anyhow. I covered the back w/some henna but it's not a lot.

Is this going to be a problem when I do the indigo too? I'm nervous. I don't want to end up looking like a blue haired old lady after my indigo treatment. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 21st June 2010, 8:59 am

In the past, I've used the Lush henna. It was great for condish, but didn't change the color of my gray - AT ALL.

So, after reading a few threads on here, I ordered Jamilla henna and used it last night. I started off using CN's recipe - 100 grams of henna mixed with 1.5 cups of green tea and 1 tablespoon of honey.

However, I left the mixture on my hair for 5 hours, then slept in a DC. This morning, I noticed that my gray strands are now coppery red color. The tips of my hair were light brown from a horrible highlighting color a couple of years ago and those tips turned coppery red as well. Well see how it changes over the next few days! I hope it doesn't change too much as I have a job interview coming up in a week!
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Henna and Gray Hair Empty Henna and Gray Hair and Dreadlocs

Post by luvlylocs 12th July 2010, 10:54 am

I have brownish black hair with LOTS of gray in the front. I would like to try henna but I'm not sure about how henna will work on my locs.

luvlylocs

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 12th July 2010, 10:55 am

luvlylocs wrote:I have brownish black hair with LOTS of gray in the front. I would like to try henna but I'm not sure about how henna will work on my locs.

There are a few videos on YT that show individuals putting henna on locs.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 12th July 2010, 11:03 am

@luvlylocs~

You can use the Jamila Henna once you take it out mix some Indego and aply it to the area where the gray was..You'll know becise it will be the area that looks brick red LOL

Try http://www.butters-n-bars.com/ for the products
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 12th July 2010, 11:07 am

@floridasunshiny~

Buy the Indigo from http://www.butters-n-bars.com/ and aply it to your hair after you wash out the henna and leave it on for about 30 min...IT WORKS!!!!
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next