CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!!

+40
sunbaby
Nikcoils
poeticlyspkng
mstokes2008
Muz
MellowOne
ktoliver5303
coilykinks
CrissyQ
LaToya28
DvaAuNaturel
mochamoments
NubieNatty
jcanalena79
Cherry: extraordinary!
Shauny
jamaicacurl
AfrikanLatina
Mz. Thang
CocaColaCutie
MsJay1121
Pinkrage
dsteh23
bholmes87
blondie
StephanieB
FemmeFox
Juices-n-Berries
MahoganyCurls
SheeTacular
BlondeByDesire
Freestyles
HumanNature
Lynnieluve
Intelligentbeauty
ChrsLvsBks
adiaha
sweetdrk1
tiashaunteé
KinkyNappyHappy
44 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Empty KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!!

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 18th January 2010, 11:31 am

Hi All-

I thought I would join this challenge to help me learn how to care for my natural hair as well as inspire other ladies that are thinking about going natural but think they shouldn't because of their age.

May 14, 2009 was the date of my last relaxer, and at that point I said "No more...if I keep going at this rate when I turn 60 I will not have a strand of hair left on my head." So I begin my transitional journey.

I hadn't done much research on natural hair care, but I knew that I didn't want to put anymore chemicals on my hair. Research is a wonderful thing, KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_study and it would have helped with my transition as it related to different styles and the products I could have used to on my hair during that time. I transitioned with braids and 2 strands twists for about 5 1/2 months; however, when I took down my twists October 31st 2009...the stylist didn't tell me to comb my hair out before I shampoo'ed. So, I'm sure some of you know what happened next....right, my relaxed hair tangled and I had a mess on my hands or rather in my hair. KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_rolleyes

Hence....I had to do my big cop at 12 midnight and I was up all night long!!! It was very scary experience because I had planned to go to a natural salon for my big chop NOT DO IT MYSELF!!!! I didn't have any products that I could use on my natural hair other than shea butter; however, I purchased some IC gel and Miss Jessie's products which got me through the first two weeks. The first two weeks were a challenge, and I must have stayed on YouTube everyday as least 5 to 6 hours a day trying to learn how to style and care for my hair. KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Sleep

Today it's been a little over two months into my natural hair care journey, and I can say that it has been an wonderful experience. I goal during this challenge is to learn more about taking care of my hair; establish some type of regiment that I can stick with as well as cut down on how often I'm shampooing my hair. Styling my hair has been fun; however, because of a the thin spot on the right side in the center of my head certain styles don't look good on me to me.

Sorry for such a long introduction, but I really wanted to provided a little background on how I got here today!!! I'm posting a picture of how my hair looks today...I did this braid out Saturday and now it's time for me to re-braid or co-wash. I really want to try this with out the head band...wish me luck.KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Affraid

KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! First_13

Last edited by KinkyNappyHappy on 10th May 2010, 12:37 pm; edited 14 times in total
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Empty Re: KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!!

Post by tiashaunteé 19th January 2010, 3:13 pm

Welcome!!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Empty Re: KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!!

Post by sweetdrk1 19th January 2010, 4:12 pm

Welcome, I am so happy you started a thread. I guarantee you will find someone that has the same issues or concerns. I love this forum and I am so sure you will to!!!

Enjoy your natural journey!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 19th January 2010, 5:42 pm

Welcome to the challenge, we can learn together!!!
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 20th January 2010, 12:53 am

Welcome to the CN family!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th January 2010, 12:55 am

tiashauntee wrote:Welcome!!

Thank you Tiashauntee!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th January 2010, 12:57 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:Welcome, I am so happy you started a thread. I guarantee you will find someone that has the same issues or concerns. I love this forum and I am so sure you will to!!!

Enjoy your natural journey!!

Thanks Sweetdrk1!!

I'm loving this natural journey so far....and can't wait to learn from everyone!!! Thanks for your support thus far!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th January 2010, 1:03 am

adiaha wrote:Welcome to the challenge, we can learn together!!!

Hi Adiaha-

Look forward to learning with yah!!! Also, I was near you Sunday. Took my son back to school (LSU) and we went to Copelands of New Orleand !!!! The best "Crabcakes & Shrimp Alfredo" I've ever had in my life!!!! woot!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th January 2010, 1:05 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Welcome to the CN family!

Thanks ChrsLvsBks!!

Your hair is beautiful....(in awe with my mouth hanging open). bounce
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th January 2010, 2:06 am

Hello Everyone~

Well...I didn't do a braid out yesterday after all. I got kinda lazy and stayed in bed until 10am looking for movies about Dr. King. So I just decided to do something simple and co-washed and ended up with a puff. (rushing this morning so I took a couple of picture on the way to work)
KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Img00117

I read in one of the forums that when you are in your twa phase...once you find a product that works for you stick with that for a while. Well...I think I've found my product!!!!
KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Img00114

This is a simple style for me and it will last all week if I don't co-wash. (co-washing everyday is just a habit I should try and break)

I co-washed my hair with Suave conditioner, added my leave-in conditioner by Darcy's Botanicals (Frankinsence and Myrrh), applied Qhemet's Alma & Olive Heavy Cream all over and then worked in Qhemet's Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm (this balm is the bomb!!!!). I applied Ecostyler Gel w/Olive Oil (the green one) only around my edges, and brushed my hair into a puff with my Deman brush.

I tied a scarf around my hair leaving the puff out, and let my hair air dry. Y'all my hair is soooo soft you wouldn't believe it, and I did nothing to my puff but applied product. (enlarge the picture to get a good look)

You know today...I am in a real good place with my hair. When I did my big chop I wasn't ready to wear my hair natural, but I had to get ready fast! Being a person that is not addicted to approval...I was ready for the negative comments I got from my family, friends, and co-workers and I knew that it was going to be a shock to everyone and in time we would ALL adjust.

My adjustment consisted of understanding why my hair didn't look like I thought it would look. I understand that this is a process, and with time my natural curl pattern will kick in and just work with my hair and not against it.

Well until tomorrow....

Miracles and Blessing Ladies

Deborah - aka~kinkynappyhappy

Last edited by KinkyNappyHappy on 20th January 2010, 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 20th January 2010, 2:07 am

WELCOME AND HAVE FUN HERE KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 20th January 2010, 8:15 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:WELCOME AND HAVE FUN HERE KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_biggrin

Hi Intelligentbeauty~

Thank you! I look forward to learning much about my hair from other Curly Girls!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 20th January 2010, 10:49 am

Welcome to the challenge!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 20th January 2010, 1:58 pm

Your puff looks soft and healthy. I am glad you are sticking to your products. I highly suggest doing so in order to avoid product overload.

Thanks for the compliment.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 20th January 2010, 4:27 pm

I enlarged your picture to get a good look at your puff and it looks thick, healthy & SOFT. The puff is a good look for you, some people have trouble achieving this look, well done.

Oh yeah, welcome to the challenge KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_razz
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 21st January 2010, 12:45 am

Lynnieluve wrote:Welcome to the challenge!!

Hi Lynn ~

Thanks for the welcome. I am excited about being here, and ready to share my experiences and hope to learn much from everyone here!!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st January 2010, 12:53 am

Is that your natural hair color? Your puff looks so good!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 21st January 2010, 1:06 am

HumanNature wrote:I enlarged your picture to get a good look at your puff and it looks thick, healthy & SOFT. The puff is a good look for you, some people have trouble achieving this look, well done.

Oh yeah, welcome to the challenge KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_razz

Hi HumanNature~

I like the puff on me as well. I've tried several other styles, but I keep going back to the puff. It's simple and I don't have to do anything to my hair for a week!!! My hair is think on the sides, back and the left center, but the right side in the center is very thin...this does cause me a few problems when I try styles such as twist-outs and braid-outs. Still trying to determine the amount of hair I should section off on the right side for balance. Strange isn't it? scratch

Thanks for the welcome, and I love your name "HumanNature" .
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 21st January 2010, 1:10 am

Lynnieluve wrote:Is that your natural hair color? Your puff looks so good!!!

Hi Lynnieluve~

No....that's not my natural color. My natural hair color is black...the color I was trying to achieve was Honey Blond, however, it came out some what of a brownish color. It is soo hard to lift black hair. I did the color myself, so I plan to wait a while before I do it again. I don't want to do anything that may damage my hair No
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st January 2010, 1:14 am

I want to color but I am scared KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_eek ! I want to get to know my hair a little bit better before I take the plunge. I will probably have the same problem you had because my hair is really dark.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 21st January 2010, 7:43 am

Hello Ladies....

Today's quick update.

I haven't done anything to my hair since I co-washed Monday. (real excited about this!!!!) This will be the first time I've gone 3 days and didn't shampoo or co-wash my hair since my big chop!

I contribute this to the product that I've been using for the last two weeks...Qhemet!!! I love my Qhemet products!!! My hair is still soft and feels hydrated after 3 days. I change my Avatar so you can see my current style.

I wanted to find a style that would last me at least a week. My goal is to shampoo at least once or twice a month, and co-wash as needed. I think I may be able to achieve this with Qhemet!!!

Well...until tomorrow..

Miracles and Blessings
Deborah
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 21st January 2010, 8:10 am

Lynnieluve wrote:I want to color but I am scared KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! Icon_eek ! I want to get to know my hair a little bit better before I take the plunge. I will probably have the same problem you had because my hair is really dark.

Trust me I was scared as well... If your hair is black, you will have the same problem I have. It was hard to lift my hair with I was wearing a perm; however, to have it done right you may have to go to a professional.

My mother is a retired beautician and she told me what to use, but I was scared to do my hair myself. (why wouldn't my mom do it?) Glad you asked....she hasn't bought in to this natural thing yet. My mom took care of my hair from birth up until high school, and she remembers how difficult it was to manage my hair when I was little. She applied my first perm when I was 4, and then she pressed my hair throughout high school because of the damage due to the chemicals.

My mom will come around she just doesn't know that there is a ton of information now to help us soften our hair, embrace our natural texture, and keep it healthy. (here is a picture of my hair permed at 4 or 5 years old when my mom was taking care of it)

KinkyNappyHappy - YES!! YES!! YES!! For Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner!!!! _child10

I want my hair to be at least 1 1/2 shade lighter....not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I did checked with a few natural hair stylists, and of course they want an arm and a leg to color hair. I refuse to fall into that trap again....if the product only cost them $20....why should I have to pay them $75 or $100. No

I will continue my research and share what I find, but I plan to wait until April before I apply more color.
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 21st January 2010, 9:56 am

I'm a little late but Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! I enjoyed reading your intro and look forward to reading more on your thread!

---Reese
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 21st January 2010, 10:04 am

Freestyles wrote:I'm a little late but Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! I enjoyed reading your intro and look forward to reading more on your thread!

---Reese

Hi Reese-

I've joined so late...everyone is way ahead of me, but I'll plan to get around to reading everyone's introduction..

Thanks for the welcome..
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 21st January 2010, 11:20 am

Hello and Welcome! Although I haven't joined the BNB challenge I follow everyone very closely. I'm still transitioning.

I love your story and you have great length for such a short transition. Your puff is so full and thick.

It sounds as if you have found a winning combination and keeping it simple - which is nice.

Good luck with your journey - there are plenty beautiful naturals on CN that are very inspiring and helpful. I have learned so much.

Thank you - ladies.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next