CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister!

3 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister! - Page 2 Empty Re: I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister!

Post by tiashaunteé 29th January 2010, 2:25 pm

Heart2Worship, where are you? How are you holding up?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister! - Page 2 Empty Re: I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister!

Post by Heart2Worship 8th February 2010, 6:55 pm

Hey Tiashauntee!

I'm still hanging in there! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I've just been real busy and it's been a minute since I've been able to get on the site. I still have my hair braided, but I will be taking them out at the end of the month or at the beginning of March. Just whenever I have time to do it.

I've been trying to figure out what to do once I take them out though. I've been considering doing the BC, but I'm kind of nervous about it. I said that I would decide once I took my braids out. I've been transitioning for 5 months now, if I wait until March it will be 6. Any suggestions?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 8th February 2010, 7:05 pm

Do it when you are comfortable, that is the most important thing. I do think that you doing it this time a year is going to be fun for you. With the spring you get to experiment with styles and don't have to worry about the dry winter winds killing your ends.

How much length do you have of new growth?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 9th February 2010, 9:23 am

I don't know. That's why I was saying that I would wait until I took my braids out to decide on what I will do.

My initial goal was to transition for a year, which would be October. By then it will be cold again and you made a good point about March being a good time of the year. I just want to be comfortable with my length. Don't think that I can rock a TWA...my head is too big for that! LOL!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 9th February 2010, 10:46 am

Maybe you should set a goal length and then when you take your braids out you will know whether or not you are ready to BC. Keep shrinkage in mind so whatever length you want take about two inches or more from that.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 9th February 2010, 10:58 am

That's a good idea, but it will be hard for me to know what length I will be comfortable with because of my relaxed ends. I thought about just cutting off and if I don't like the length just get a sew in or something like that until it grows to my liking.

What do you think about that?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 9th February 2010, 11:04 am

Heart2Worship wrote:That's a good idea, but it will be hard for me to know what length I will be comfortable with because of my relaxed ends. I thought about just cutting off and if I don't like the length just get a sew in or something like that until it grows to my liking.

What do you think about that?

That sounds like a great option! I never think about weaves because I was never really into them. Would you get a textured sew in? Just be sure to take care of your natural hair underneath-you don't want all that hard work of growing out to be wasted due to damage.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 9th February 2010, 11:13 am

I haven't really thought about what kind of hair I would get, but a textured sew-in would be a good option. I'll get my mom to help me pick out some hair. She'll be the one doing it.

How would you recommend caring for my hair while I have the sew in?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 9th February 2010, 11:16 am

I have a friend that gets sew ins, she on the forums. I will see if I can convince her to come pass you some good advice.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 9th February 2010, 11:28 am

Ok, thank you! Is she all natural or is she still transitioning?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 9th February 2010, 11:37 am

She's natural and full of knowledge....let me go wake her up Smile
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 9th February 2010, 12:05 pm

Ok, cool! Thanks for checking up on me also. That means a lot.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister! - Page 2 Empty Care for sew in

Post by Apearl 9th February 2010, 12:15 pm

Heart2Worship wrote:How would you recommend caring for my hair while I have the sew in?

tiashauntee wrote:I have a friend that gets sew ins, she on the forums. I will see if I can convince her to come pass you some good advice.

Heart2Worship wrote:Ok, thank you! Is she all natural or is she still transitioning?

Tia woke me up, lol! Yes I'm 100% natural.

I washed and conditioned my sew in weekly. Some folks don't but my scalp MUST be washed weekly. I used baking soda to wash MY hair & scalp most times sometimes I used Giovanni's Mositure shampoo. My hair dresser told me to not concern myself w/ washing the weave because of the brand & quality I bought. After washing I'd condition my hair (the conrows) with reg conditoner or deep conditioner.

Once every 3 - 4 weeks I went to my stylist and had her wash, condition and tighten (making the sew in tighter to my hair).

I have pictures and some comments in my Fotki starting here: http://public.fotki.com/ApearlC/2009/augsewin.html (arrow over to see others of the sew in)

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me!
Apearl
Apearl

http://public.fotki.com/ApearlC/

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 9th February 2010, 12:30 pm

Apearl wrote:
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me!

My only dilemma is that if I decided to get a textured sew-in, how would I be able to wash my hair and still have the same look?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by Apearl 9th February 2010, 3:14 pm

Heart2Worship wrote:My only dilemma is that if I decided to get a textured sew-in, how would I be able to wash my hair and still have the same look?

I'm confused... are you trying to have some of your hair out? I'm not a weave-ologist LOL because I've only had 2 sew ins, both last year, ever! But it'd probably be hard to match your texture exactly with a weave.

I did not read through this whole thread, since Tia sent me a link, but it seems like you are transitioning. I would suggest getting a full sew in with all of your hair braided up underneath. It is a great way to give your hair a rest and to get it to grow. I have before and after pictures of my hair after 3 months of a full sew in. Not manipulating my hair at all allowed it to grow and not break off from heat, detangling and ect.

I have had a particial sew in, also in my Fotki, for 4 weeks. I flat ironed my edges to make it blend. I was not happy with it because only parts of my hair were able to rest. Also when I did wash it I had to do so much more to get to blend. Which is why I decided to get a full sew in when I got my 2nd sew in.

If your goal is growth, less manipulation and giving your hair a rest I suggest getting a full sew in. I prefer straight hair because it's easier to use, for me. Oh also, I got very small cornrows under my full sew in because with my particial the cornrows were not very small and my hair was a mess. Them being so small allowed me to wear it so long. HTH!
Apearl
Apearl

http://public.fotki.com/ApearlC/

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 9th February 2010, 3:49 pm

@Apearl:
You are right, straight hair would be more manageable. Especially if I'm going to be washing it. Thank you for your help.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 24th February 2010, 3:44 pm

Hey Tia!

Just wanted to check in with you. Nothing has changed as of yet. Still have the braids. I'm in the process of taking them out a little bit at a time, seeing that my schedule is so busy. I should be done by Saturday evening.

Any ideas for a style for Sunday? By the way your hair is cute!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 24th February 2010, 3:52 pm

Heart2Worship wrote:Hey Tia!

Just wanted to check in with you. Nothing has changed as of yet. Still have the braids. I'm in the process of taking them out a little bit at a time, seeing that my schedule is so busy. I should be done by Saturday evening.

Any ideas for a style for Sunday? By the way your hair is cute!

Thanks!

and

I think the twist and curl would be great. Whenever I have a style that had the potential to be abusive (like braids, cornrows, few day old WnG) to my hair I always did a twist out because it's a soft set and lets your hair breath and be free after being on "lock down"
if that makes any sense, lol
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 24th February 2010, 4:02 pm

Yep! Sure does! What would be a good product to use for setting it. I want it to last for a while. I don't want to have to redo in again within two days. I noticed prior to getting my braids, my hair likes to be left alone. What do you know about Jane Carter's Wrap and Roll Solution? The products appear to be harmless, but you maybe able to shed some light on it for me.

I am excited to see how much growth I have! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 24th February 2010, 4:23 pm

CurlyNikki's setting lotion mix is awesome and sometimes I use conditioner, like suave, and it provides me with a pretty good hold.

I have see Jane Carter's products but have not gotten the guts to try out the line yet. New products make me nervous, lol
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 24th February 2010, 4:26 pm

Do you use the conditioner mixed with something else?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 24th February 2010, 4:27 pm

Nope. Just the conditioner. This works better for me in the summer. I look at it as my "protection" from the sun.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 24th February 2010, 4:38 pm

I noticed the last two times that I washed my hair it was extermely soft at the roots. I also noticed as I was taking the braids out that my hair is soft vs. dry and brittle (as I have experienced in times past). With braids, it's impossible to rinse all of the conditioner out so do you think that this may be why I am seeing this result? If so, I'm thinking that I will use conditioner as a leave-in b/c so far I have been unsuccessful with the liquid leave-ins. They dry my hair out!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 24th February 2010, 4:48 pm

I actually do think that. When I wear cornrows for a long time I slather on condish on top of them and then just let water run over my head to rinse. I know all of it can not be rinsing out and my hair is soooo soft when I take the cornrows out. I love the result.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 24th February 2010, 4:54 pm

Oh! One more question...what can I do to avoid my hair feeling "crunchy" after sitting under the dryer. I don't like using the dryer b/c of this, but sometimes I have no choice. Esp. if I do my hair late in the evening. It won't be air dried completely the next morning.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next