CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister!

3 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister! Empty I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister!

Post by Heart2Worship 15th December 2009, 5:27 pm

I've been saying for a few years that I was going to stop getting relaxers and go natural, but I would always change my mind because I was afraid of not being accepted and I just didn't know what to do with the two textures after about three months. I'd been having scalp issues to the point that it would burn because of irritation. I also had a lot of hair breakage in the back of my head on the left and right sides. I noticed that when I didn't relax it for a while it would grow, but as soon as I relaxed it, it would break off again.

So I decided on a whim one day in October that I was going to transition. At the time I was wearing braids and prior to that my last relaxer was in September which didn't process very well. I then began doing research on how to transition which is how I learned about this site. I've been following this site like a stalker for that last month and a half and have gotten a lot of great info. I've been using coconut oil as the replace for hair grease and I am no longer having issue with my scalp!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've tried a few transitioning styles that come out very well, however I can't seem to maintain a soft moist texture. My hair sucks up everything that I use. (unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, evoo...) I would be greatful to have a BIG sister to walk me through this journey with a little TLC. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I welcome any advise.

Last edited by Heart2Worship on 16th December 2009, 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more info)
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister! Empty Re: I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister!

Post by tiashaunteé 16th December 2009, 6:19 pm

I'm here!!!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister! Empty Re: I would love, love, love to have a BIG Sister!

Post by Heart2Worship 16th December 2009, 6:32 pm

K. Cool.

Yes I am referring to the Shea/Conditioner/Olive Oil mixture. What made you replace the cond with coconut oil?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th December 2009, 6:40 pm

The effect that coconut oil had on my hair. It absorbs quicker and make my hair feel a lot softer. I may revisit that mix but make it into more of a whipped shea butter. I noticed that the effect I was hoping for with condish was achieved by using the coconut oil. I wanted softness, shine, and manageability. My condish is great for detangling but the coconut oil gives me that after wash feeling that I've been wanting.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 16th December 2009, 6:48 pm

I am going to co-wash and roller set tonight and I may try this out? When do you apply it?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th December 2009, 6:53 pm

I apply it as the last step before setting and usually my hair is still wet
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 16th December 2009, 6:54 pm

I will let you know what happens...
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th December 2009, 4:59 pm

Any updates?
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 17th December 2009, 5:13 pm

Hey Lady!

I saw that you were online and I was just about to hit you up. But yes! I co-washed and detangled last night with Suave (the lavender scent) and then I let some Aussie Moist and jojoba oil sit on my hair until I showered and then rinsed with cold water. I twisted it and set on flexi rods w/ the shea butter/coconut oil/EVOO mixture you told me about. I am really pleased with the results! My hair has been moist all day! I'll attach some pics later. I left the USB cord at home.

My is issue that I am going to workout today and I have a Christmas party to go to with my bf tomorrow, so how do I maintain it w/o having to redo?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th December 2009, 5:20 pm

Yea!! I'm glad it worked!!!

Hmm....don't sweat? (you can tell I don't work out) Laughing

Trying to take the natural shape of each curl and pin it down, kinda like you would with pin curls. If your roots get bigger it may not be a bad thing because it would give you more volume. I had my hair out the other weekend when it rained here and I thought my hair style was going to be ruined. But the rain and humidity made it better. So working out and possibly sweating may not hurt the style too much
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 17th December 2009, 5:35 pm

LOL!!! Girl I hate it, but I gotta do what I gotta do. My bf loves running and always wants me to go. I be making confessions the whole two miles cause my body be saying "STOP!!!!"

I didn't unravel the twist very much this morning. I did it just enough to make it look decent enough for work. I have the front pinned back and the back is hanging. But you're right, the sweat will add more volume. I love big hair.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th December 2009, 5:46 pm

Same here. The bigger the better! Just pin up all the hairs that are hanging and I would also keep everything in place until its back dry all the way through.

I still don't know how I made it in the summers when I had a press-n-curl, I some how figured out how to have fun without puffy hair. LOL
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 17th December 2009, 5:50 pm

So you've never had a relaxer?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th December 2009, 5:52 pm

No ma'am. I look back now and say "Fortunately we were too broke for things we didn't need" LOL
It was hot combs all the time.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 17th December 2009, 5:57 pm

I remember getting my hair pressed as a little girl, but I don't remember my first relaxer. I wish I had done this a long time ago.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 21st December 2009, 6:17 pm

Wanted to give you a quick update. I did you what you suggested for the gym, but it only preserved that style long enough for me to wear it work plus it rained like crazy that day so my hair was a flop.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I only worked a half day on Friday so I had enough time to redo and sit under the dryer. For some reason I think that the results are better when air dried. The style held up ok for Saturday and Sundy, but now my hair is a hot mess. I've been at home all day so its no big deal.

I'll be getting braids done tomorrow and I am glad about that because I'm getting a little aggrevated with doing my hair 50 times a week! I am too busy to for all of that. I haven't figured out how to attach pictures which is why I haven't sent them yet. When I get it together I'll shoot it to you.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 21st December 2009, 6:34 pm

Rain...sometimes our friend and sometimes our enemy.

You must have really worked out hard at the gym. I'm glad you had time to re-do it. I am thankful that my life right now allows me to be able to set a style and take it down when I am ready to show it off.

I do think that air dried hair is better. Natural hair seems to like to hold on to a shape better if it's allow to dry slowly in that shape.

I will be waiting for the pics!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 6th January 2010, 2:27 pm

Hey Lady!

No updates except that I did get my braids done while I was at home for Christmas. I'll be updating my fotki page soon. How was your Christmas and New Year?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 6th January 2010, 2:38 pm

All the holidays were good I got some much needed rest, relaxation, and food. What about yours? Did you go anywhere?

Let me know when you update your FOTKI I would love to see your braids.
Keep in mind the even in braids your hair needs love-I used to make that mistake a lot when I got my hair cornrowed in college. I would go-go-go everyday without an ounce of moisture, oil, or even a spritz. Bad Tia....lesson learned
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 6th January 2010, 2:51 pm

I got a lot of needed rest as well. I am originally from Charleston, SC so I went there for Christmas. I stay here in Columbia for the New Year. Went to church on New Year's Eve and all of my family and friends were at my house on New Years day. We had a ball!!!

I am usually pretty good with keeping my hair moisturized when it's braided although I did get a little slack over the last three days and my hair started flacking up a little bit. I've been using a mixture of coconut oil, Carol's Daughter Tui Hair Oil, and a little bit of evoo on my scalp. It seems to work pretty good, but I wanted to know what you thought about this mixture.
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 6th January 2010, 3:14 pm

We went to church here but it was strange for me because growing up we literally spent the new year in church. I'm talking 9pm until almost 3 am, we got it in! But in my present church we were in at 6 and out by 7:45...but we did have two services. The second one was at 10.

I love all those oil products. How are they working out so far. I have discovered that I must follow a rule of three when it comes to products. If I use more than three at a time my hair hates me.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 6th January 2010, 4:06 pm

Yeah...in at 6 and out by 7:45 is a bit different! So did you just recently move to Raleigh?

The products work very well! I absolutely love the scent of CD Tui Hair Oil! They even make my scalp look clean although it hasn't been washed in two weeks. Which is great b/c I would usually have to wash my hair once a week due to itching and scalp irritation, but since I've started my transition my scalp is loving it!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 6th January 2010, 4:09 pm

I have been in the Raleigh/Durham area since 2000 but for about 2 yrs I was driving back home (Fayetteville) to go to church. Then I went through my phase where I just didn't go at all...but I am back now and I won't turn around.

I used the Tui oil before and the smell is amazing. I thought about ordering it again but I think I am going to check Wal-Mart to sister if CExpress (the sister line) carries it. But first I need to use up all the oil I already own.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 6th January 2010, 4:22 pm

My mom and brothers live in Fayetteville! What church did you go to? They attend True Vine Ministries.

Have you heard good things about the that line?
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 6th January 2010, 4:29 pm

It is a small world!!! I used to attend Bal Perazim Interdenominational Christian Center (long name) my mother still goes there. I think I have seen True Vine but I haven't been there.

I heard anything about CExpress but when I looked it up...it's basically Carol's Daughter with a different label and a lower price.

http://www.cexpressproducts.com/
http://soulfulbeauty.com/article.php?n=327
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next