CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would love a BIG sister!

3 posters

Go down

I would love a BIG sister! Empty I would love a BIG sister!

Post by MrsLambsWool 14th December 2009, 4:29 pm

I think this is such a great idea. Kudos to Nyla coils for such an ingenious idea! I am currently 9 weeks into my transition and things are really starting to get a little rough for me, so I could definitely use a big sister. If anyone is interested in helping this newbie out, please let me know.
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

I would love a BIG sister! Empty Re: I would love a BIG sister!

Post by Sunshinecurls 14th December 2009, 5:13 pm

MrsLambWool, I would be willing to help you out along the way!!! Now I am no expert!! And I did do the big chop but I'm sure I could offer guidance and support where needed!! My BF is transitioning currently and I am her biggest support system!! Sometimes it's the little things that I do or say through text messages that keep her pressing on! So whatever you need I would be glad to help.

On a side note I lived in Durham for many years. I was there a month ago!
Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 14th December 2009, 11:47 pm

Thanks Sunshinecurls for agreeing to be my Big Sister. I am soooo excited. Many times, I've wanted to ask people questions but didn't want to feel like I was getting on anyone's nerves. But I must admit that I have gotten pretty good responses from the few comments I have posted.

So tell me a little about your natural experience, i.e. what type of hair you have, the products you use, how long did you transition before doing your BC.

This world is truly small! Do you have family here in Durham. I've lived here for almost 10 years and I love it. I recently purchased my 1st home in the Brier Creek area. Do you know where that is.
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshinecurls 15th December 2009, 12:25 am

Well where do I begin! Like many other young ladies I've had a relaxer since I was at least 5 years old. I didn't have the slightest clue what my hair would look like! Anywho, in May 2008 I got my last relaxer. I had been debating back and forth about going natural. I honestly didn't know how to "transition" and what I was planning to do once I grew my relaxer out. I took to the internet and found many blogs that were very helpful. Except I felt like I was missing something! Reading information is okay but I need pics and videos to understand. Then I found fotki's and youtube.

I must say youtube changed my life! At that point I new I could do it. So in the early stages I would wear rod/roller sets all the time every week. Then as I got more new growth I decided to get braids so that I could keep my hands out of my hair. I wore braids from September 2008- December 2008. I remember taking my braids out and being very frustrated with the two textures. I cried and wasn't sure what to do Sad So I made another appointment to get my hair re-braided but at the time it was nearing the holidays and it wasn't really in my budget to spend $200 getting my hair done. So on a whim I made an appointment at a salon to get my hair cut.

On December 24, 2008. I chopped all of my hair off!! All of it!! I had a lot of new growth but because I was acting on a "whim" I didn't let the right person cut my hair. So my BF I had to take it down to make it even. And we had to take it all the way down!! I remember I couldn't even comb it!! LOL!!

But I remember feeling so good about my decision afterwards. Like a heavy burden had been lifted off of my shoulders. I was finally free!! So I transitioned for about 6 months.

Currently I have about 4 1/2 inches of growth. I cut it again last weekend because I had not had a trim since last December. Not good!!

But my current regimen is simple! I am a proud product junkie! But recently I'm trying not to manipulate my hair too much. So....

Co-wash- herbal essence or vo5
Shampoo- ummm haven't found the perfect shampoo, I do use shampoo bars.
Deep Condition- Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
Moisturize- Karens Hair Milk, hair butter, oyin products, afroveda products
Styles- currently I'm wearing roller sets, but I was attempting to do two strand twist, coils etc.

You can find me on youtube under blford7. You can also email me at bford1908@yahoo.com

Sorry if I was long winded!! LOL!! I was in Durham for my 10 year reunion at Hillside. I do not have any more family in NC. My mom moved to Cali. So I only get down there every blue moon. I love NC! Maybe one day I might find my way back there and make it my home for a second time!! The Brier Creek area is beautiful!!

So tell me your story........
Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshinecurls 15th December 2009, 12:35 am

So I'm trying to figure out how to post pics....let's see if this works

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 15th December 2009, 1:24 am

Well....... Where should I start? I had been toying with the idea of going natural for the last year or so. I've always thought ladies who rocked natural hair where absolutely beautiful, i.e Jill Scott and Leela James. I just never had enough confidence in myself to do it personally.

About 9 months ago a meet a woman whose hair was natural and she sort of encouraged me, however I was still scared to start the transition period, plus my wedding was in a few months. After my wedding I got micro braids and kept then in for exactly 3 months. However, I immediately scheduled to get a relaxer by a lady who had never done my hair before. Well not only did she jack up my cut, the relaxer didn't "take." The next week when I was my hair the back rolled up in tight curls and the front was straight. While the she was relaxing my hair it burned so bad that I was in tears (a grown 30 year old woman). All I could think was "Lord, if you let me make it through this pain I will never get another relaxer!" So thus started my transition!

I'm feeling that my transition is not only helping me achieve healthier hair but it is helping me with the development of a healthier self esteem. I've always thought of myself as a beautiful girl, but only when my hair was done, therefore I've spent thousands of dollars making sure it was always "done." Well, I guess what they say is true, with age comes wisdom, and now I'm feeling like my beauty is not and should not be defined by my hair, particularly straight hair.

My last relaxer was on October 9th, so I am 2 months in and I am planning to BC on May 23rd, my birthday, if not sooner. I would love to BC as soon as the weather breaks, more like March, that's depending on length.

Currently, I co-wash with Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration and sometimes Carol's Daughter's Black Vanilla Shampoo. I deep condition with either CD's Hair Smoothie or Lustrasilk's Mango. I just use either the Hello Hydration or Lustrasilk as a leave-in and then I use coconut oil before I braid it (I've been wearin half wigs with my most of my hair braided underneath. Do you have any suggestions for my current regimen?

Do you ever henna? I thought about it because my hair is often very dry.

I'm thinking about getting braids next week. I love the micro braids but I've heard that senegalese and kinky twists where better on your edges. Did you have any issues with thining edges while you had your braids?

I'll give you a break now. Girl, I am a talker.

Oh and just so you'll know it's me, my email address is heather23@alltel.blackberry.com. Sometimes, if I'm attaching a picture or typing an email too long for my blackberry, I may email you from streeterhl@hotmail.com.
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshinecurls 15th December 2009, 3:26 pm

I know all about the tears!! I burned every time no matter how much they based me if the they use lye no lye, kiddie perm no matter what I burned. So I couldn't figure out why I kept going all these years! LOL! I understand better now I was brainwashed. Like you said spending thousands of dollars on your hair. I was in the shop every week! If my beautician couldn't see me best believe some one in the shop could. It's pretty sad way to live! LOL!!

I think your current routine is a a good one. Your hitting all the steps!! I have never used henna. I am interested but have not had the opportunity.

I wore curly twist which are like kinky twist but the hair is much curlier. And I've been thinking about getting kinky twist for the winter.

So your plan is to transition for about 7 months? How much new growth do you have now?
Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 15th December 2009, 5:53 pm

Hey Ladies, I have been looking a at few of the sister posts- your has been awesome!!!!

I'm loving the connection!!

@MrsLambswool- I am a talker too! (lol
@sunshinecurls- Where did you get the hair from for the curly twist. I want to use this sytle as a protective for the winter?
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 16th December 2009, 12:00 am

Nyla....thanks so much for thinking of such a great idea!

Sunshine, now I am interested in these curly twist. Do you have any pictures of yourself when you had them in or maybe a website that post pictures of them?

Right now I have about an inch of new growth. I'm thinking that in 7 months I should have at least 3 inches of new growth, providing I take good care of my hair. I actually would love to BC now, but due to the perm damage I have a quarter sized bald spot that just won't seem to grow. So of course I have to wait until I have enough to cover that up.

I know every head of hair is different but how has your growth been throughout your journey. Also, do you understand the whole "protein/no protein" thing. How will I know if my hair doesn't like protein, cones, parabens.....

On a side note, are you married, have kids etc?.....I figured it would be nice to have something in addition to hair to talk about! LOL
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshinecurls 16th December 2009, 12:44 am

I am still learning about proteins. What I have learned is that when you first do your big chop your is at it's healthiest state. So you really don't need protein. However I have yet to do a protein treatment. I'm still doing research to see if I need one. It's been a year, my hair has not fallen out nor do I have shedding or any of those things. So I figured I would ride it out until further notice LOL!! As far as parabens go, i avoid them. Cones now ummm....it varies. I try to use products that are water soluble so that wash as more easily. I learned that on here!!

My hair has grown at a steady pace. I really can't tell how long my hair is unless I wear a fro!! But I have about 4 1/2 inches stretched. My bang comes down between my eyes and nose. So far I have been pleased. But I did cut some the other week because I figured I needed a trim. I tell myself every day it's just wear and it will grown. And sure enough it did. Remember a year ago I was basically bald!!

Okay so for the twist, here are some pictures a few when I was in a wedding. I had them pulled back out of my face. And here is a link of my youtube page of my hair journey. If you scroll through about 1:55 I have two pics where they hang in my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7F7YLwI14g

And I'll also try to call the salon to see if she will spill the beans!! She sells the hair at her shop.

On a side note.....No I'm not married, but in a serious relationship. My bf and I have been together forever (3 years). He has two little girls 4 and 9. But we do not have any together. His oldest daughter "had" a relaxer and when I started transitioning I told him she needed to do it to! So she too is coming up on her one year natural anniversary. Anywho, I graduated from Kent State which is here in Ohio. I work at Kent too! Go figure! I have a Masters Degree in School Counseling and Guidance and I hope to one day be a school counselor. Umm other than that let's see...oh I have a dog name Cooper (Shih Tzu) he is the other love of my life!

Okay now it's your turn!

Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshinecurls 16th December 2009, 12:44 am

Oh and my name is Bianca....
Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 18th December 2009, 6:15 pm

Well Bianca, it's nice to "formally meet you, my name is Heather! LOL

Let's see......on a personal note. I was just married on June 6th of this year, hence my avatar picture. I have 2 boys 11 and 2. What a gap huh?! Let's just say my last son Jayden was a big surprise! lol I went back to school 2 years ago and will be getting my BSW from Shaw U. next year! I currently work in foster care in Raleigh and I love what I do,surprisingly.

On the second side note, how long have you had Cooper? I want to get a dog for me and the kids soooo bad. I've just been torn on what to get. A couple of my friends have Shih Tzu's but they don't have kids so I'm curious as to their temperment's. How is "he" (?)around the girls?

Kudos on getting your bf to let his daughter be natural. I only have boys but I always tell my sister NOT to put a texturizer in my niece's hair! The wedding pictures are cute. Where the colors fucshia and brown? Those were my colors.

I can't wait to get my braids next week. Dealing with the 2 textures is becoming quite a chore. I think I've had some breakage at the line of demarcation. So it's definitely time for a protective style that prevents me from having to put my hands it. What are some of thes styles that you like? I've tried the bantu knots and they didn't come out quite right.
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshinecurls 20th December 2009, 8:24 pm

I've had Cooper for two years. He was 6 months when we got him. Cooper does great around children. He can be a little playful when the girls don't want to be. Other than that he's pretty laid back. Now your typical Shih Tzu, very quiet. He only barks when we come up the steps from the basement (he's weird) LOL! But he is a good puppy.

Yes her colors were fucshia and brown. Very pretty colors together!

When I was transitioning my favorite styles were roller sets and rod sets because they would last. However I saw a style I wish I would of tried much like the twist and curl Nikki does. Her youtube name is shuantae1. Oh and I also would wear a bun. I loved doing a bun because I could slick it back and it looked professional for work. I would do a bun with my own hair. I never really wore a weave. I thought about getting a sew in a time or two but never follow through with it.

I tried bantu knots the other week, I think I don't have enough hair. Maybe I did them incorrectly who knows! LOL!
Sunshinecurls
Sunshinecurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down