CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a Big Sister(s)

2 posters

Go down

Looking for a Big Sister(s) Empty Looking for a Big Sister(s)

Post by naturalchic 20th April 2010, 2:17 pm

Hello, I have been natural for about 2 1/2 years now. I stopped perming my hair after I had my son and my hair was shedding and breaking off badly. I stopped perming my hair and braided it on and off for about a year. I would flat iron my hair when did not have it in braids...needless to say my hair suffered from heat damage. I was ready to transition fully and no longer straighten my hair so back to braids and now since the beginning of the year I have not had any braids, nor flat ironed my hair.....ok enough with the background... currently my biggest complaint is coming up with a regiment that works for me. I have tried KCCC and it made my hair a crunchy dry mess, i tried it 3 times!! I have tried numerous other products but the dry crunchiness is my hair is killing me. I even put EVOO, and EVOC in my hair. I am not sure if I'm even doing it correctly....and I cant get a style to last more than a day?? so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.....also if anyone familiar with henna and proper application I am willing to try it.

oh yeah I don't work I am in school working on my Dr, so I have free time to play in my hair, so please send suggestions my way.....thanks (hugs and kisses in advance, lol)
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Big Sister(s) Empty Re: Looking for a Big Sister(s)

Post by ChrsLvsBks 20th April 2010, 5:23 pm

I felt your frustration reading this. Heat damage cannot be repaired but your can do things to help it not become further damaged. For instance, ensure you have a good balance of moisture and protein. I hear you thinking or saying out loud, huh? what? In order for your hair to retain length, it needs both. Moisture can be found in products like conditioners and other products labeled as such. Protein can be found in conditioners also. I typically suggest using a mix of a protein and moisturizing conditioner at least once a week. If you can barely feel the strands, when felt individually, leaving moisturizers/conditioners on your hair is probably okay. If your hair feels coarse, once again one hair, not all of your hair, you want to limit the amount of products with protein. Protein helps your hair's cuticle from what I understand.

As for a regimen, here is a simple one.

Cowash hair (cleanse scalp with sulfate and mineral oil-free conditioner)
Condition and detangle (apply until hair is slippery; detangle starting from ends up)
Moisturize (apply product from root to almost root, can avoid build up if you avoid your scalp)
Seal (most seal the last 1/3 end of the hair)
Style (may need styling product for hold/longevity)

Weekly
Deep condition (DC)

Hope you the best on your doctoral studies.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 20th April 2010, 7:42 pm

Thanks, ChrsLvsBks.....

Today i co washed with some garnier fructis, them applied a deep conditioner of Aubrey HSR, sat under dryer for 15 min, left cond in for 30 min total, when it was in my hair it felt smooth, then i washed it out and it was hard?? i then applied a leave in cond of giovanni, my hair is still hard, and then i put some coconut oil on it and that made it better ( a little softer) combed through, but once it dries it will be crunchy again.....can you think of any steps im missing?
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 28th April 2010, 11:10 pm

Hello,

i have been trying to set up a routine, i tried the giovanni tea tree shampoo and i like that, i have tried the HSR conditioner not to sure if it does anything for me, love the giovanni leave in conditioner, and then this is where i get confused, when people say they seal after moisturizing what does that really mean?

Also tried my curly butter-creme like the results from my twist but the smell is nauseating, any suggestions on a product similar?
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th April 2010, 11:23 am

naturalchic wrote:Thanks, ChrsLvsBks.....

Today i co washed with some garnier fructis, them applied a deep conditioner of Aubrey HSR, sat under dryer for 15 min, left cond in for 30 min total, when it was in my hair it felt smooth, then i washed it out and it was hard?? i then applied a leave in cond of giovanni, my hair is still hard, and then i put some coconut oil on it and that made it better ( a little softer) combed through, but once it dries it will be crunchy again.....can you think of any steps im missing?
When was the last time you clarified? There is something that is causing your hair not to absorb and retain the moisture. If you like Giovanni, I believe they make a clarifying shampoo. There are many brands you can find in your local drugstore. Try to avoid ones with silicones (the ingredient will end in –cone, -xane or –conol). Also check to see if your products have silicones, mineral oil and sulfates. All these ingredients can hinder moisture retention. HTH

naturalchic wrote:Hello,

i have been trying to set up a routine, i tried the giovanni tea tree shampoo and i like that, i have tried the HSR conditioner not to sure if it does anything for me, love the giovanni leave in conditioner, and then this is where i get confused, when people say they seal after moisturizing what does that really mean?

Also tried my curly butter-creme like the results from my twist but the smell is nauseating, any suggestions on a product similar?
Most people, moisturize (water-based) then seal (oil or butter-based) over the moisturizer. If their hair feels dry to the touch, they will reapply.

I am not familiar with “my curly butter-crème” what is in it? Once I know the ingredients I can possibly suggest something similar.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th April 2010, 11:28 am

I use henna. A great place for information is hennaforhair.com. They also have a forum. You do not have to join the forum to read the posts. I suggest mixing it with water your first application. You want it to be the consistency of thick yogurt or pudding.

If you want color, let the mix for at least 12 hours. Apply it thickly on your head from root to tip--pack it onto scalp too. If you do not want color, you can mix and apply. Let it sit on your head at least four hours (for color--won't be deep and rich if hair is dark brown or darker) and at least two hours (if you do not want color). I wrap my head in plastic and put a towel around my neck to avoid staining my skin and clothing.

When rinsing, I fill my sink and dunk my head in to remove as much as the henna. I do this at least two times. I then cleanse in the shower with conditioner until the water runs clear (have had to do it up to five times) and DC then style.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 29th April 2010, 12:02 pm

Thanks ChrsLvsBks,

the curly butter creme is ms jessies, sorry, lol...i thought only silicones ended in cones so i will check into that. Also i clarified last month cause i thought that was an issue, and sucks up water i think i need to stay away from protein and use moisturizing products......

I really want to stick with natural products i saw a recipe with shea butter and oils in it, i am gonna try that also, shea and evco work good on my skin.

i brought some henna that im gonna try its the jamila triple sifted 2009....i am gonna try it on the weekend. My concern is i died my hair last month so its dark red will the henna lighten it more of just cover it?
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th April 2010, 5:16 pm

For replacement products to the Curly Buttercreme, I suggest the following.

Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Butter
Ingredients: Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Mango Butter, Jojoba Butter, Aloe Butter, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils, Grapefruit Seed Oil & Vitamin E

Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream
Ingredients: Shea Butter, Rosehip Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils, Vitamin E & Carrot Seed Oil

SheaMoisture Shea Leave In
Ingredients: Shea Butter, Deionized Water, Herbal Complex, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cocoa Butter, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E

Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair and Body Butter
Ingredients: Shea butter, kokum butter, mango butter, avocado butter, aloe butter, olive butter, illipe butter, sweet almond butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, extra virgin olive oil, rosehip oil, kosher vegetable glycerin, honey , grapefruit seed extract, Vitamin E & Pro-Vitamin B5, essential oils.

I would suggest going to hennaforhair.com to ensure I am correct but I do not think you want to henna over dye. I personally would not do it until my color was gone. An alternative may be cassia but even then I don't think you can do it since you have dye. Err on the side of caution is my advice.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th April 2010, 5:54 pm

I thought of another similar product--Nubian Heritage lotions. I have used a couple of them. The one I have now is Coconut & Papaya. The ingredients are coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, filtered water, vegetable glycerin, papaya extract, coconut milk, aloe vera, vitamin E, comfrey root extract & rosemary extract. I have used this one and the one I had before to seal in my moisture. I use them primarily as my hand lotion during the work day but reading the ingredients it could definitely be used on the hair regularly.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 25th May 2010, 2:45 pm

hello ladies its been a while, but i have discovered that my hair does not like protein Sad but it loves Aloe vera Laughing.....so im know on a quest to find a shampoo. any suggestions??
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th May 2010, 3:37 pm

I use a shikakai bar to shampoo or Dr. Bonner's all in one soap. I just purchased Curls cleansing cream. I would also check out the J/A/S/O/N and Aubrey Organics hair care lines. They list their ingredients, if I am not mistaken on their websites.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th May 2010, 3:40 pm

Another brand you may want to look into is Nature's Gate and Vitamin Shoppe.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 1st July 2010, 6:17 pm

Hello ladies, long time no chat, but i tried Benoite clay and loved the results, my hair actually had curls all over, i was throughly impressed. I also used it on my face great smooth result, i did break out but that is expected since it draws out the impurities in the skin!! i like it much better than henna cause no staining, setting, long wait time and no mess...im still gonna henna for the color of my grays
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 2nd July 2010, 1:41 pm

Hi, glad all is good. Any other hair news?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 2nd July 2010, 6:58 pm

Hello chslvsbks, nothing to exciting i tried the Benoite clay and been doing some henna, im still working on the henna have not go it down pack yet, lol......i dont know if i am not leaving it in long enough or what, but when i wash it out the color on my gray only last a little while.

I have also been trying to take staple products like Aussie moist cond and add other ingredients to see what happens
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic 9th July 2010, 10:59 pm

Hello ladies,

I tried the cherry lola treatment, and it was a no go for me. It was way to messy and i was a little upset by the lack of results. I like the benotie clay treatment way better!!
naturalchic
naturalchic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down