CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PLEASE HELP ME TAKE CARE OF MY TRANSITIONING HAIR

+3
RWF2122
LilMsPuddles
danijohnturner
7 posters

Go down

PLEASE HELP ME TAKE CARE OF MY TRANSITIONING HAIR Empty PLEASE HELP ME TAKE CARE OF MY TRANSITIONING HAIR

Post by danijohnturner 7th December 2009, 3:45 am

Hi ladies. I'm a newbie!!! Transitioning for the first time. I think I've purchased every product out there but I don't know what to do with them. To tell you the truth, I really don't know anything about caring for my hair (sad to say I have a daughter) and I have to learn to care for her hair as well. Somebody please, guide me in the right direction of where to start first. My daughter (9) and I are both transitioning and we both have chemically damaged hair!!!! I want my daughter and I to have healthy,beautiful hair.

thanks,
D
danijohnturner
danijohnturner

Back to top Go down

PLEASE HELP ME TAKE CARE OF MY TRANSITIONING HAIR Empty Re: PLEASE HELP ME TAKE CARE OF MY TRANSITIONING HAIR

Post by LilMsPuddles 7th December 2009, 4:03 am

Did you buy a deep conditioner and a leave in conditioner?
Do you have wide tooth combs?
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

PLEASE HELP ME TAKE CARE OF MY TRANSITIONING HAIR Empty Re: PLEASE HELP ME TAKE CARE OF MY TRANSITIONING HAIR

Post by RWF2122 7th December 2009, 12:28 pm

Definitely try out co-washing (I use Herbal Essence...either Hello Hydration or Totally Twisted). Detangle in the shower or with wet, conditioner soaked hair and definitely a shower comb. Play around with different natural or homemade conditioners and deep condition at least once a month. Find a style that you're comfortable with and confident in that you can leave alone for a week or more (protective styling is essential during transitioning). Whether long or short termer, trim your ends. Avoid adding heat...some people transition with blowouts and straight hair, but heat is harmful, especially at the line of demarcation between the natural and the relaxed. And finally....HAVE FUN...enjoy the journey.
RWF2122
RWF2122

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 7th December 2009, 1:43 pm

RWF2122 gave you some great advice about cowashing, trimming and wearing protective styles. Less manipulation is key and when you have time to spare, experiment with your hair and research during your transition. The entire time my hair was weaved up I read about how to take care of my hair underneath and what to do once my extensions were removed. Be consistent and patient and allow your hair to do the rest. This is a journey we've all experienced or are continuing to experience and we're here to support each other during this change in our lives.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by danijohnturner 8th December 2009, 1:51 am

Thank you ladies for that helpful information. I did try co-washing on yesterday and made my own homemade moisturizer. Her hair felt very soft. I tried Suave Naturals to co wash with and like I said it worked well for her hair but not for mine. I am going to try Patene Relaxed and Natural, I've heard great things about that conditioner. I am trying to find someone who can braid and that way I can keep my daughters hair braided for about 8 months or so. As for me, I am hooked on curlformers rollers, they work wonders and I don't have to touch my hair for the entire week. Again, thanks ladies for the support and if you run across any new products or great products, please let me know. And if any of you come up with your own homemade conditioner/moisturizer, please let me know.
danijohnturner
danijohnturner

Back to top Go down

Post by RWF2122 8th December 2009, 12:26 pm

one more thing...henna treatments helped me early on with my two different textures. I can't explain how, but the conditioning benefits helped a lot...
RWF2122
RWF2122

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 8th December 2009, 12:50 pm

@ danijohnturner

I'm transitioning and I co wash w/ Pantene Pro-V intense moisture, and I love it! Suave didn't work at all for me! I also use Pantene Pro-V's deep conditoning mask. And Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingling conditioner is also a good one especially for detangling.
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by Cygnet 8th December 2009, 7:05 pm

Three things you and your daughter need to grow while you're growing out your hair: patience because hair doesn't grow overnight, and it will go through changes; a hard head so you won't waver and change your mind at the first sign of difficulty; and a thick skin so you won't be pierced through to the confidence by the less-than appreciative remarks of others who don't like what you've chosen to do or who don't understand why you've chosen to do it. The fast and steady growth of these three things as needed will do as much as the best products out there to help you and your daughter grow and maintain healthy, beautiful, naturally-textured hair.

Cygnet

Back to top Go down

Post by ShyCurl 8th December 2009, 7:17 pm

Im just wondering how long do you plan on Transitioning? Do you plan on doing the BC? As for your 9 yr old you may want to keep her locks in Cornrows(NO BC on her [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) she's a kid and it just seems easier on you and her if she wore braids during this time!!! I wish you much success on your Natural hair journey [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ShyCurl
ShyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down