CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many naturals in your life?

+25
Color_Me_Coily
BigLipTiff
dajewel
naturallyu
Alana
kekesmum
naturally yours
krazy coils
DaButterflyBAP
Renny
Sebastain13
courtrhapsody
Niqui36
kinksncurls
Treece
Jazzyrin
CurlyChick
Curly Film Chick
curlya
LadyMika
fanmnatirel
Fleur
rayray19
CurlyNMixed
Free2Be
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How many naturals in your life? Empty How many naturals in your life?

Post by Free2Be 25th October 2010, 11:26 am

How many people among your immediate family and close friends are natural?

I'm curious because when I'm out and about town I see naturals together a lot. *Of course, I can only speak to the obvious naturals, i.e. those wearing curly/kinky hair, as opposed to straightened naturals (I wouldn't be able to tell the difference).

Me - 7, That is 1 friend who wears her natural hair pressed straight 100% of the time and 6 family members (mom, SIL, aunts, and cousins).

I'm stretching it a bit because I'm sure 2 of my aunts don't consider themselves natural. They are 3a, I think, and never wanted relaxers so they've always worn their natural hair either curly or blow dried straight. I'm not even sure they'd understand the concept of natural as it relates to their hair.

I need to get out more because I don't have a natural support system to speak of. Mom is natural, but it's simply a convenience for her. She keeps a very short TWA and uses minimal products/tools. She's not interested in the "healthy" aspect of natural hair, although the last time she visited her hairdresser for a cut, she was pleased that the stylist noticed how healthy her hair was. She had to say it was my advice and product choices 'cause she could care less. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] She considers my growth strange...she doesn't like that I wear it as a 'fro, basically. No

So anyway. How many friends/family are natural?
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

How many naturals in your life? Empty Re: How many naturals in your life?

Post by CurlyNMixed 25th October 2010, 11:33 am

I have a few great aunts who are natural, a sister who is natural and my two aunts. So, around 6. We don't really talk about hair since we're so far from each other, so technically my only support system is CN and other message boards. Most of my family doesn't even know I've gone natural, unless they read my FB post. LOL!
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 25th October 2010, 11:35 am

I have 3 family members that are natural..my aunt, and 2 cousins

My 2 cousins and I went natural around the same time, but my aunt (just like your mom) been rockin a short twa for the longest!!! since i was a baby!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 25th October 2010, 12:08 pm

I have 2 natural children, so of course they're no help. My oldest sister is natural, my mother was as well, (but she is no longer with us). I also have 2 natural aunts, and one of my best girlfriends in Seattle is natural and she has been an awesome resource.

Other than my friend in Seattle, I don't get much help except from the awesome ladies on this site. Most of my family don't know or have seen me since I did the BC.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 25th October 2010, 12:20 pm

My mom went natural before i did Smile
4 close friends
My friend's two sisters are nattural....
HOTNESS !!! looool....just thinking about it brings me joy...(sorry i am a cheesy person)
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 25th October 2010, 12:23 pm

It's just me. I honestly don't know (nor care) what the rest of my family is doing with their hair.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 25th October 2010, 12:54 pm

I have a good friend who is natural but she now lives in DC. So, It's just me within my circle.
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 25th October 2010, 1:13 pm

I could probably say three. Most of my family is natural, but they hide their hair with weaves, extensions, ect because they feel that wearing their hair loose isn't managable. My grandmother has waist length locs. I don't live with family though, and most of my immediate girl friends are not black. So I would say I am only around 2 naturals, my friend I co-blog with (listed in my signature) and another friend of mine. And then there's my sister but shes away in college in CT, but those are the only three who can relate to the natural hair experience.
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChick 25th October 2010, 1:15 pm

I'm the only one, sadly. I have no support from family and friends but a few women at my church are natural so I talk 'hair" with them. lol.

http://www.chichichick.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazzyrin 25th October 2010, 1:21 pm

my mom is natural (locs) but just bc its convienient for her she's no help...and a close friend of the family Nikki aka svbrownsuga! shes on this forum somwhere lol shes the one who told me about this site. and thats about it
Jazzyrin
Jazzyrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 25th October 2010, 1:36 pm

I have one natural friend, a natural hair stylist, and 2 natural cousins. But I talk to my friend more because we go to the same school. But the people are talk to THE most are on natural hair forums, or, on youtube...which I guess I watch them really lol. I wish I knew more naturals.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 25th October 2010, 1:59 pm

It's just me sadly. I don't have any family that is natural, or any natural friends. Oh no wait- I have one I met on facebook who was transitioning at the same time as me, but we never really hung out and she just moved to Spain
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 25th October 2010, 2:05 pm

I have 2 (or 3 if you count my son) in my family. Me, my daughter and my son just keeps his hair cut short. Oh, make that 4, I have a sister who went natural but lives in DC.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 25th October 2010, 2:25 pm

My mother in law and sister in law are naturals, but they both wear short barber cuts so they aren't so much into the styling and products like I am. And they are out of town. My mom just wishes I would relax my hair. And I don't have many black friends (none since moving to CT).
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 25th October 2010, 2:42 pm

My daughter, sister, cousin, & me are all natural My daughter has been natural for almost a year, my sis has been natural for about 4-5 yrs she wears her hair pressed or curly and my cousin has been natural for couple of months so we all compare/contrast products styles etc
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 25th October 2010, 2:45 pm

No one in my family is natural. Maybe I'll start a trend. They keep looking at me like they don't understand what's going on with my hair, but no one asks.

I have close group of writer friends who are natural - out of the 16 of us, 6 are natural. I see them once a month. My bestie (who is now in Africa) and her mom and sisters are all natural (bestie has sisterlocks and her sister has locs). They were the ones to convince me to go natural. Smile

The cool thing about living in Atlanta is every third head I see is natural. We've got a natural hair revolution going on down here.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 25th October 2010, 2:46 pm

My mother, my maternal aunt, my maternal cousins (3), my SIL (she presses)...My mother and I are the only ones that research natural hair styling. My aunt and cousins are always asking us what we do to our hair and what products we use.

None of my close friends are natural. I am "the renegade". LOL
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 25th October 2010, 4:35 pm

I have one cousin (locs) and four friends and all of our textures are different.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by naturally yours 26th October 2010, 5:29 am

back home i have only two naturals friend. one is 4a and never straightens. the other is 3a/3b never had a relaxer but straightens all the time cause she dosent like her curls. sadly we dont live in the same country since i move to england a little while ago. i havent made any natural friends here yet. i have no family member who is natural.

Last edited by naturally yours on 26th October 2010, 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total

naturally yours

Back to top Go down

Post by naturally yours 26th October 2010, 5:34 am

double post

naturally yours

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum 26th October 2010, 8:07 pm

All of the women in my husband's family are either relaxed or where wigs or weaves. The kids usually have their hair pressed straight or in extension braids until they're old enough for relaxer. So learning to care for natural hair for my daughter has been interesting since I don't really have the help I need (I don't really ask for help since we differ greatly product wise and I don't want my daughter around the good hair/bad hair talk.)

One of my best friends and her mom (also our pediatrician) have their hair either natural or in extension braids. They offered their help, but haven't had to give it yet since I've figured things out online. But I really appreciate having them around to be natural examples to my daughter, because I want to keep her natural for as long as possible (and my in laws already say things like "when she's old enough for relaxer".)

kekesmum

Back to top Go down

Post by Alana 26th October 2010, 9:48 pm

just me. Well my stylist is natural, but her hair is a loose wavy texture. She does not count in my opinion because her hair is so different
Alana
Alana

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 26th October 2010, 11:28 pm

My whole family is natural!!!!!! My daughter, son, boyfriend (okay the men have it pretty easy being natural), my mom, sister in law, and two of my friends. My daughter has been natural since birth. My mom started transitioning after I stopped relaxing my hair. My sister in law is a stylist and went natural a couple of years ago. I guess we all got tired of relaxing around the same time and just quit.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 26th October 2010, 11:39 pm

i noticed that alot have been saying with the exception of support on this forum, that u don't have any other support close to you (in addition to some members of your family). i suggest searching for a local meetup of naturals here www.meetup.com. i have found an amazing, active and motivated group of naturals on that site in my area.

Last edited by dajewel on 26th October 2010, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by BigLipTiff 26th October 2010, 11:45 pm

My lovely mother is natural and has been rocking a TWA for the past 5 or 6 years. My two best friends have locks, another friend and my cousin are all natural. I'd say I have a pretty decent support system.

@Free2be, My mom is much like yours. She's kept her TWA because its easy to maintain. I think she could care less about having healthy hair, developing a regime, or using products with certain ingredients and such bc she doesn't have much anyway. I recommend things here and there and let her try out some of my products, but she's totally unfazed!
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next