CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healthy hair from within

+12
Mz. CiCi
yacoomba
misskris
QueenSheba
cluelesscurl
Afronique
Free2BMe :)
Curlock Holmes
foxfro
greenyourdecor
Fleur
naturallynola
16 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Healthy hair from within - Page 3 Empty Re: Healthy hair from within

Post by misskris 13th December 2010, 2:58 pm

I KNOW right!!!! LOL I said I would be good for Thanksgiving!!! LOL I didn't overdo it but still. My family can COOK girl so I'm not missing out on all the good eats!!! santa dance
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStacie 13th December 2010, 3:10 pm

My thoughts exactly!!! Haha!

NaturallyStacie

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 13th December 2010, 10:43 pm

@NaturallyStacie-Welcome and jump right on in, we're a supportive group and here to encourage each other :-) One step at a time!
@MissKriss-see you after the New Year, but don't forget about us :-) I see you have the Castor Oil challenge going and I was thinking about joining when I put in my kinky twists but I often add tea tree oil and jojoba to keep the itches at bay(so I don't think I would qualify)
@NaturalNola-I'm feeling much better and the cold has subsided (yay).

To all the other ladies (where you at and let us know how you're progressing)
Smile
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Healthy hair from within - Page 3 Empty Checking in...

Post by foxfro 13th December 2010, 11:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hi Everyone! Just checking in with everyone to hold myself accountable. I've fallen off the excercise wagon, but I'm am rocking the 64ozs of water, healthy eating and vitamen regimen! My hair appears to love everything that I'm eating and my body loves it too! My skin has cleared up and I've lost 7lbs (I'm back in a size 6)! Ok and I digressed..... So, I'm going to start excercising again tonight! I'll check in with you in a few weeks.

foxfro

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 14th December 2010, 10:46 am

Foxfro, you and I are in the same boat re: exercise. I am starting this evening. I was going to start back yesterday, but too many errands and then I didn't want to go out after it got cold (poor excuse, I know!). Muchos congrats on the weight loss Smile

I am working on a plan to fix some nutritional deficits. I have been testing diff protein supplements and I researching a little to see if I want to change vitamins. My food and water is doing well (including my hemp oil and hemp milk and almond milk).

Yep, accountability will get us all there. Hope to hear from our other healthy hair friends soon on their progress!!

Stay blessed!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 14th December 2010, 10:54 am

@ Yacoomba. Hey!! You can join us if you like. We won't penalize you for the teat tree oil and jojoba oil. We can make exceptions. I and another girl are both using tea tree as well for the itchies!!!! LOL So come join us!! Very Happy
ALL OTHERS ARE WELCOME!!! We're all in it for the same thing. Plus it just says no other growth aids so I don't tea tree counts as that. Does Jojoba?? Not sure. Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 14th December 2010, 3:34 pm

You ain said nothin but a word, MissKris! I am in! I am going to finish off my prenatal vitamins and try to up my fruit and veggie intake. I am also looking to add more Omega 3's and 6's to my diet. I'm struggling with the water thing, especially on the days I am not exercising. I was drinking more by adding Crystal Light but I am trying back off b/c it contains aspartame. I am doing Insanity for my exercise. Trying get that beach body!!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 14th December 2010, 5:52 pm

GIRL!!!!! That Insanity is TRULY Insane!!!!!! LOL More power to you! I bought some Tae Bo DVDs a few weeks ago and have only done it once so far---shame on me!!!! LOL I'll get back to it.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 14th December 2010, 6:18 pm

Lol, I am cheating on Insanity though. There's no way I can workout 6 days a week. I am committed to 4 days but if I do 6 I am happy. Being that I was not really exercising at all before this, I should still see results this way! Lol, I let someone borrow my Taebo. Needless to say i have not seen it in a minute. But anyway, another reason I am not just all in is b/c no of the women in the videos really have a feminine form like I want. I am basically just using the videos to get my cardio in but I am going to use pilates to keep my body girly. I just want my coke battle back! Sad
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 15th December 2010, 12:39 am

foxfro wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hi Everyone! Just checking in with everyone to hold myself accountable. I've fallen off the excercise wagon, but I'm am rocking the 64ozs of water, healthy eating and vitamen regimen! My hair appears to love everything that I'm eating and my body loves it too! My skin has cleared up and I've lost 7lbs (I'm back in a size 6)! Ok and I digressed..... So, I'm going to start excercising again tonight! I'll check in with you in a few weeks.
Way to go on the weight-loss and regimen in general (you go)! Very Happy
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 15th December 2010, 2:33 pm

Tiff, just set a goal of how much water you will drink an hour and it is more manageable that way. Also, avocado, olives, cold water fish, flaxseed and hemp oil will handle the Omegas for you. I love avocados. I just eat them with nothing on them. Make salads with them, add them to your sandwiches. The oils-- you can put on your salads or add to your salad dressing. I do something unusual and add the hemp oil to my mixture of nuts and cranberries. I love it. Almonds, cashews, walnuts, basically all the nuts are a good source BUT eat 1 serving size b/c the calories can get you b/f you know it. Also, I buy peanut butter that has flaxseeds in it. The brand is: Naturally More. Also, I drink hemp milk (get it at WF). So, hope these tips help you increase your Omegas!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 15th December 2010, 5:26 pm

Thanx for the tips! I love me some salmon! I have never eaten an avocado. Will add it to my shopping list though. How do you eat it?? Hemp milk? Sounds interesting. I have never heard of it. Lol, prolly b/c we don't have a WF here. I love vanilla soy though! Would you happen to know if soy or almond milk is better? I am definitely give your recipes a try! Thanx again!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 15th December 2010, 6:07 pm

OHHH!!! Tiff. You have GOT to try the Black Bean Chipotle Burgers from Garden burger. I eat it on a wheat sandwich thin, with 1/2 a sliced avocado, some salsa and some mozzerella cheese!!!! OMG I could eat those ALL day!!!!! Super healthy, super tasty. (and of course healthier without the cheese but I usually use the lower fat string cheese)) YUMMY!!!!! Razz
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 15th December 2010, 9:14 pm

I cannot say which is better b/c each has its own nutritional benefits. I drink both and other types of milk b/c my son and I are lactose intolerant. Almonds milk is rich in some of the B vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids. Soy has more protein (7 grams/serving and it is a healthy way to get protein. There are many brands of soy, but all of them are not created equal (taste wise). Silk is probably the most widely publicized and one of the most economical. I have not had much success with the "store brand"' soy milks. My favorite brands are "Soy Dream and Edensoy." If you decide to try almond milk, some is unsweetened and we do not prefer it that way. I tried twice, but no dice!

Some say avocados don't taste like anything. I thoroughly enjoy them on sandwiches. They work well in salads.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by foxfro 15th December 2010, 10:47 pm

naturalnolagirl1900 Take it one day at a time.... Getting started again the other day felt good. That's until this morning, when that car wreck soreness kicked in.

yacoomba - Thanks for the encouragement!

Ambitious_Tiff - I've drank soy milk for 7 years, and tried almond milk over the last 2 months. After three containers, I had to go back to soy milk because almond was too thin. Almond has less sodium than soy, but I could not take the watery texture and sweetness of Almond milk. I buy Silk brand for both kinds of milk, but I also like Great Value's vanilla soy at Walmart. Just and FYI... I love Barlea's Fish Oil and Flax Seed Oil, both taste like fruit smooties. Even my boys love it!

foxfro

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 16th December 2010, 9:25 pm

Hi, ladies. I want in!! This challenge is just what I need to remind me of how I am supposed to be treating myself...with LOVE...lol!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 18th December 2010, 12:53 pm

Butterfly125 wrote:Hi, ladies. I want in!! This challenge is just what I need to remind me of how I am supposed to be treating myself...with LOVE...lol!
Welcome Butterfly 125 and by your statement your already in :-) We're all trying to figure this out and bouncing information from one person to another is really helping the group. So feel free to post your ups, downs, and in betweens-no judgements passed on the challenge. We're a source of encouragement! :-)
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 18th December 2010, 1:29 pm

Thanks, yacoomba! I've started taking my vitamins and I'm working on drinking more water, but most importantly for me I had to do what naturalnolagirl1900 said in the beginning "let go and let God and move on!"...lol. Because I had been really stressing out for the past couple of months.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 18th December 2010, 1:47 pm

Butterfly125 wrote:Thanks, yacoomba! I've started taking my vitamins and I'm working on drinking more water, but most importantly for me I had to do what naturalnolagirl1900 said in the beginning "let go and let God and move on!"...lol. Because I had been really stressing out for the past couple of months.
Um yeah the stress will have you losing hair for sure instead of gaining it so def let it go, let us know how things are going in a week or so. I usually check in about once a week to let the ladies know my progress, but feel free to do what's comfy for you. :-)
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 19th December 2010, 5:06 pm

I have been doing fairly well with my water intake. I missed my vitamin yesterday. Idk what is going on but I have been vomitting a lot lately. Feeling terrible (really wanted to treat myself to some Bang Bang shrimp, but that sounds like a no go). Today I am gonna try dry crackers and ginger ale. On the up, I have lost 3 lbs. I'm prolly just taking my body through too many changes at once.

@Naturalnolagirl, Salad was what I was orinally thinking of putting the avocado in! Salmon avocado, tomatos, sounding good already. I will let y'all know what I come up with and how I liked it.

@ MissKris, I will give that recipe a try too! I love trying news foods!

@Foxfro, I feel you on the sweetness of Almond Milk. I tried light vanilla soy. I think its a winner!! Sorry to hear about your wreck. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 19th December 2010, 5:30 pm

Ladies, I have missed alot of the action here. Seems you guys are moving forward. So am I. Finally got back to exercising and I feel so much better. Tiff, hope you are not coming down with something. Also, if vitamins are making you nauseated (this happens to some), I take mine at night b/c I tend to be a little intolerant of them when I take them in the a.m. Tiff, don't forget making smoothies is a good option for getting good nutrition. My blender gave out on me, but I am going to get another and start making my smoothies again. Yogurt, soy, almond milk, wheat germ, honey, powder supplements agave, fruits, berries, or whatever you like that has those "good hair vitamins and minerals.""

Butterfly, I co-sign on the stress as it relates to hair. In 3 months I acquired a tremendous amount of gray hair and it was def stress related. So, my new philosophy is: I am not struggling with anything else. God, whatever your will is, I'm with you. Our personal events and circumstances are tiny in the grand scheme of the major plan, which we don't know about. Meditate on this each day and ask God for discernment and I promise it makes a difference. I have found that truly ""all things do work together for good"... even when the thing that we see is "bad.""

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 19th December 2010, 7:34 pm

@Naturalnolagirl
I will try that with the vitamins. All the nausea has me very weak. Idk know if its the vitamins or something else. Hopefully it'll go away in a few days. I enjoy smoothies. Lol, my favorite concotion included honey, bananas, and peanut butter. At one point I was making them for breakfast but I struggled with trying to finding something to put in them that would keep me full. Sometimes I would add granola but I didn't really like the taste so much. Any tips for this? And what is wheat germ...? Lol, doesn't sound tasty.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 19th December 2010, 7:42 pm

What kind of exercise are you doing btw?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 19th December 2010, 8:20 pm

@Tiff-Okay my bad I didn't give you the right hand of fellowship welcome in-lol I thought for some reason when I was talking about joining the castor oil challenge you were saying yeah you needed to join in to. Don't want you to think we play favorites over here Evil or Very Mad lol. Anywhoo sorry to hear about the sickness, in addition to what NatNola stated were/are you taking the vitamins on an empty stomach? I take mine with my morning breakfast(oatmeal usually). Get to feeling better :-)

@ Foxfro- second the get well soon from the ax and hope all parties involved are ok.
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 19th December 2010, 8:54 pm

Thanks, Naturalnolagirl, for that suggestion. I have since stopped stressing and feel SO much better!!

The other thing I was struggling with was finding time to exercise. This morning I put my exercise mat and a resistance band in my car to take to work tomorrow. I have a big office and decided I can spend 30 min of my lunch hour working out in my office. I figure it's better than what I've been doing which is nothing.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next