CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healthy hair from within

+12
Mz. CiCi
yacoomba
misskris
QueenSheba
cluelesscurl
Afronique
Free2BMe :)
Curlock Holmes
foxfro
greenyourdecor
Fleur
naturallynola
16 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Healthy hair from within - Page 5 Empty Re: Healthy hair from within

Post by naturallynola 31st December 2010, 6:37 pm

Wish you much success with school. Where and what will you study? Congrats on the 2 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! Def let us know about the Zumba. I am going to start dancing myself. There is a variety of latin dances available, so it will keep things exciting to Tango one week and do Bachata the next--LOL

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 31st December 2010, 7:04 pm

Thanx ladies! Believe me, its been a hard fought battle, lol!

@Yacoomba
I know exactly what you mean! Billy Blanks and Shaun T will literally whip you into shape! Lol, I'm hoping Zumba will prove to be the change of pace I need. Its actually cheap too!

@Naturallynola
I will be attending Auburn University Montgomery and I am working to get a Bachelor's in Nursing! I am so excited but so scared! The program there is extremely competitive. Right now the competitive GPA range for admission to Upper Division is 3.1-3.8. I am setting myself a realistic goal of 3.6. Have you ever done fitness dancing before? Are you taking your classes at a YMCA too? One thing that has always confused me is this: Are you supposed to eat before or after working out? I see the logic and flaws in both but I have no idea what the correct answer is. confused
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 31st December 2010, 7:13 pm

Tiff, the program at Auburn should prepare you well. Don't worry about the GPA, just pray and work hard. You will be fine. I obtained my BSN from UAB. That program will be your springboard to higher level nursing or some other health oriented masters level program, if that is your desire. I went on to get my masters in public health. Hopefully, you have few distractions and responsibilities. That is what often derails or impedes people in a nursing program. If you ever need anything, let me know.

No, I have not done any fitness dancing previously. I will not be dancing at the YMCA, but different venues. The most variety (tango, bachata, salsa, zumba, etc.) is at a local university that is close to me. The other places are restaurants and clubs that have free salsa lessons.

As far as eating is concerned, you don't want to eat anything heavy close to dancing. Eat a light meal an hour or 2 prior to going. With consistent dancing, your body will tell you if you are giving it enough for the energy you need for the dancing. Pasta, bananas, smoothies, etc. that are not difficult to digest and are good energy sources are good choices.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 31st December 2010, 7:59 pm

Small world!! I have a friend that attended UAB for nursing but left the program when her grades suffered due to all of the "distractions". My current plan includes down sizing to a smaller apt or moving in with my parents to avoid having to work so much to maintain a household and my grades. I definitely want to continue my education after obtaining my BSN. I started studying for some of my courses in October, that's how paranoid I am about my grades. I don't even know how to thank you for being so willing to extend your help to me. I will certainly let you know when I run into troubles. Thank you, thank you, thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what do you do professionally?

That gives me another reason to continue with my morning smoothies! My fave is banana and pb. I'll try that one for my first class.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 31st December 2010, 8:26 pm

Sad, but the distractions monster derail many. No, I don't mind you asking. I am a research nurse at a university. I actually haven't worked with patients much since August. I love it. It fits my personality. I love researching everything. I tell people I want to know everything about everything--LOL. I have been very blessed!

Those smoothies will give your brain cells the "stuff" you need to get through that program Smile

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 31st December 2010, 8:55 pm

Now that sounds like a career that would be rewarding all the way around. Its nice to "meet" someone who loves to learn as much as I do! What do you think are the most beneficial ingredients to put in the smoothies for brain and energy boosting?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 31st December 2010, 11:04 pm

Y'all I have been SO slacking on this challenge. This is really something that I should have been doing all along anyway but have gotten so lazy over the last few months it's ridiculous. So I AM making the cliche, overkilled New Year's Resolution to EAT RIGHT, EXERCISE and LOSE WEIGHT!!!! The hair will then follow as a result of the good health.
So good luck to all with this challenge in the new year!!! I'm gettin it done!!! Very Happy
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyStacie 31st December 2010, 11:28 pm

I'm ready to get started.

NaturallyStacie

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 1st January 2011, 2:44 pm

I have been making minimal effort in this challenge thus far, but it is a new year and I am ready to kick it up a notch! bounce
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 2nd January 2011, 3:15 am

Butterfly, what areas are you struggling in?

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 2nd January 2011, 3:25 am

Hey, naturallynola. I had been struggling in the same area I always struggle in...not drinking enough water, and not being able to find the time to exercise. I've started drinking more water, so I feel good about that, but I'm having a hard time exercising. I used to exercise in the morning before my day began, but I'm living at my mom's right now, and there is absolutely no room to exercise, so I have to find the time to go the gym which I don't like and haven't been able to find the time for...yet. Whew...sorry you asked? Rolling Eyes
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd January 2011, 2:27 pm

Hey ladies. I haven't been doing my best with this challenge. So now that I have joined the weight loss challenge it will help me do better with this one. I will be doing better about my food intake and water intake. My new years day dinner didn't hurt me!! Very Happy YAY!!!
@ Butterfly, I am off and on with the water so I know what you mean. At one time that was ALL I was drinking. And I also need to start drinking a big ole glass or water before I eat a meal, that will help get me full sooner and not eat as much. I will avoid the super sweet teas like the kinda I have been drinking here at my mom's (we're leaving today so I'll be ok - LOL) and use only natural sugar substitutes sun crystals or truvia (haven't tried that one yet though but sun crystals are good) I will TRY to eat more fruits and veggies throughout the day.
Keep it goin ladies!! We can do this. Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd January 2011, 6:48 pm

Hey ladies! Just wanted to update you guys on some of the changes I am implementing to facilitate my healthier me. I am making sure I eat at least 2 fruits a day, one at breakfast and one with lunch. I am taking Zumba classes at the Y 3 days a week (I enjoyed Insanity but its hard for me to stay motivated doing it by myself. Crying or Very sad ). I will continue to go strong on my vitamins (I've been doing surprisingly well with this.) I will have at least one serving of Soy milk daily, two on days where I am not eating meat. I will always eat something green with dinner. OMG, I almost forgot the biggest one of all, I WILL KEEP MY WATER INTAKE UP AT ALL COSTS!! I will allow myself to indulge in SINGLE servings of my favorite sweets to avoid binging. Lol, I do believe this will keep me sane thru the adjustment period.

So to recap:
Organized exercise 3 days a week
2 fruits a day
Something green will always accompany dinner (only sprinklings parsley or basil will not count)
Daily vitamins
1-2 servings of Soy milk a day
Drink at least 4 16oz bottles of water daily
Single servings of sweets are allowed (No more than twice a day)
I will not beat myself up too bad for falling off the wagon. I will only acknowledge the slip up, learn from it, pick myself up, dust myself off, and get back on again.

Best wishes ladies!!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 2nd January 2011, 11:08 pm

@Tiff - Excellent plan, girl!! I heard a saying once, and I refer to it often (to myself): If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. You've covered all your basis, and you have a GREAT attitude moving forward!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 12:34 am

@Butterfly125
Thanx!! My father also uses this phrase frequently. I do believe having a plan is an integral part of achieving our goals. Lol, some things you can't go at all willy nilly and expect results. Lol, even though it is fun sometimes. But anyway, I tried to set realistic goals so it won't prove to be an inconvenience or cost me a lot of money. The easier I make the changes, the more likely I am to stick with it. Wink I plan to be quite foxy when I turn 25 this year. Very Happy
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd January 2011, 1:01 am

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:@Butterfly125
Thanx!! My father also uses this phrase frequently. I do believe having a plan is an integral part of achieving our goals. Lol, some things you can't go at all willy nilly and expect results. Lol, even though it is fun sometimes. But anyway, I tried to set realistic goals so it won't prove to be an inconvenience or cost me a lot of money. The easier I make the changes, the more likely I am to stick with it. Wink I plan to be quite foxy when I turn 25 this year. Very Happy

LOL...you have a smart father, and he has a brilliant daughter Wink. Yeah, you are right on point about setting realistic goals in order to stay motivated and push forward.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 1:45 am

You got me blushing! Thank you so much! Very Happy
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 3rd January 2011, 1:39 pm

Hey Tiff. That does sound like a great plan. BUT the only thing that concerns me is your "Single servings of sweets are allowed (No more than twice a day)" Trust me when I say that I TOTALLY know what you mean when you want your sweets. BUT, if you do eat them everyday and especially up to TWICE a day, your plan may backfire.

Some suggestions for getting around that desserts thing:

-try eating yogurt w/the oreo toppings (you know the kinds in the store already packaged with the toppings-forget the name, YoCrumbles or something? I dunno) or yogurt w/fruit toppings or granola topping.
-Wal-Mart carries a pudding that's all natural and SO good by Kozy Shack, All Natural CowRageous.
-Weight Watchers chocholate brownies - FULL of fiber and taste great. You can try them w/some natural cool whip on top. YUM!!
-Kashi Dark Chocolate Oatmeal cookies. One is enough and full of fiber. I LOVE eating mine with a tbsp of natural Peanut butter on top!! MMMM!!!!
-home made hot chocolate using cocoa powder. (recipes should be on the packages)
-dark chocolate - great because of the high level of antioxidants and will cure that chocolate craving!
Smile

Hope this helps. Just don't want you to sabotage yourself with the sweets!
Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd January 2011, 3:14 pm

Those are great suggestions, Misskris. I too am one that NEEDS something sweet sometimes, and I am a huge snacker. I like those WW brownies you mentioned, and I love, love, love their chocolate chip cookies. I also eat the sugar-free Jell-O pudding cups and the sugar-free Jell-O cups (I top this one off with sugar-free or fat-free Reddi Whip).

For me I've discovered that eating sugar makes me crave sugar (I think I mentioned that before), so lately I've been trying to eat some fruit or drink a cup of hot tea sweetened with Truvia or Splenda to satisfy my craving for something sweet.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 4:01 pm

@MissKris
Thanx so much for the suggestions. I love frozen strawberry Chobani and Sun Chips!! I could eat them ALL DAY! I am going to try some of the stuff you mentioned b/c its all new to me but it all sounds so good. Lol, especially these brownies! those Kashi cookies sound like they might be pretty good too. Where do I get natural Cool Whip...?

@Butterfly125
how do you like Truvia? Does it have any kind of after taste or anything? i have been curious about it. Lol, their commercial is too funny
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd January 2011, 4:05 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:@MissKris
Thanx so much for the suggestions. I love frozen strawberry Chobani and Sun Chips!! I could eat them ALL DAY! I am going to try some of the stuff you mentioned b/c its all new to me but it all sounds so good. Lol, especially these brownies! those Kashi cookies sound like they might be pretty good too. Where do I get natural Cool Whip...?

@Butterfly125
how do you like Truvia? Does it have any kind of after taste or anything? i have been curious about it. Lol, their commercial is too funny

I love the Truvia, Tiff. Splenda was my fav until Truvia so I alternate with whichever one is on sale...lol. I don't think it has any aftertaste at all, but I have been using artificial sweetners for years now. But no matter how long I've been using them, that Sweet 'n Low still taste absolutely horrible to me Mad. Truvia is made from a plant and not chemically made, and it looks a tastes most like sugar to me. I love to sprinkle it on a bowl of strawberries and blueberries...really sweet.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 4:38 pm

I may have to give that a go, I have not purchased and sugar in months to keep myself from making Kool-Aid and Peach tea (favorite drink of all time), lol. I'm pretty much forced to drink water when at home. Lol, I have to laugh at myself because sometimes I will keep looking in the fridge like some sugary sweetness will just appear outta nowhere. Silly rabbit. albino
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd January 2011, 4:51 pm

Hahahaha...I know exactly what you mean. Yeah, I think the key to success in eating right and being healthy is options, at least that's true for me. So if you find a healthy alternative to something we know isn't good for you, you win! That's what I try to do. I don't really "give up" anything.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd January 2011, 5:04 pm

I need to work on that. Lord knows its too easy to go to the Dollar Tree and rack up on some cheap sweets, lol!! Razz
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd January 2011, 5:17 pm

You are a mess!!!...lol.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content