CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't like to be paranoid, but. . .

+10
SisterBoyd
naturallyu
chynadoll8799
Kea::curls
cluelesscurl
TiffNotANY
BajanPrincess82
deeply_rooted_chick
Niqui36
JazmineB
14 posters

Go down

I don't like to be paranoid, but. . . Empty I don't like to be paranoid, but. . .

Post by JazmineB 18th September 2010, 11:23 am

have you ever wondered why american clowns have afro hair, big noses and big lips/mouths and put on stage shows for people's amusement?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Doesn't it remind you of minstrel actors in blackface?

I don't look at clowns the same way anymore since I noticed this.

^LOL @ the caption^
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

I don't like to be paranoid, but. . . Empty Re: I don't like to be paranoid, but. . .

Post by Niqui36 18th September 2010, 11:29 am

I don't believe in coincidence, so I'm sure there is a connection.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

I don't like to be paranoid, but. . . Empty Re: I don't like to be paranoid, but. . .

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 18th September 2010, 11:38 am

whoa I never even thought of that...but I'd like to not think it's pointed towards us. I wikid it and it says its suppose to be a slant of all human race.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 18th September 2010, 11:45 am

deeply_rooted_chick wrote:whoa I never even thought of that...but I'd like to not think it's pointed towards us. I wikid it and it says its suppose to be a slant of all human race.

can you give me the wiki link? i was looking it up a while ago and i couldn't find anything about it
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 18th September 2010, 11:58 am

deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 18th September 2010, 12:18 pm

I've always kind of feared clowns. They have never looked funny to me, just scary. I just can't trust someone that has a painted on smile!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 18th September 2010, 12:21 pm

deeply_rooted_chick wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clown

thanks. . .i saw that article too, but i thought they were talking about older versions of clowns & in other countries, not the american party clown we see usually today. i dont really see how its making fun of any other race except for blacks, because no other race in the world has big, kinky/coily hair like ours.
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by TiffNotANY 18th September 2010, 4:23 pm

I've always wondered about the hair but I didn't think about this before. I do see similarities now. Clowns have always scared me (I blame my cousins making me watch "IT" when I was little). Hmm... another reason for me not to like clowns!
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 18th September 2010, 6:28 pm

Wow!!! Never really thought about that till now. Think your on to something. Let's start a MOVEMENT to get rid of these clowns. No pun intended.

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 18th September 2010, 8:17 pm

it is kind of weird, but when you think about it there are some parts of other races they could be targetting:

...like a super pale face (when many of them perfer to be "sun-kissed tan"...)

...or the big nose that certain Italians are supposed to have (i never knew of this, until one of my BFFs who's Italian told me this!)

...and i've known quite a few curly redheads who were caucasians/jewish sporting the "jew fro," a couple of them are sporting it on my campus right now. GO GATORS. lol.

It could be that we're just more sensitive to it because of our race & we know the sterotypes for our cultures, more so than we're familiar with others...

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 18th September 2010, 8:53 pm

clowns make me think of pedophiles. Sorry, but they do. Ain't nothing cute or funny about clowns to me. Maybe IM paranoid...

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 18th September 2010, 11:05 pm

I totally understand @ BajanPrincess82. I also have a fear of clowns. Those things are so so so scary. I run away from them so fast. I also have a fear of mimes. they just move around and don't say anything. Rolling Eyes
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 19th September 2010, 7:28 am

There are physical characteristics in all races that are looked down up. Blacks aren't the only ones who have appearance issues. Like the other sister said about the Jew Fro, several races (not just Italians) have issues with their large noses. In the Latin/Hispanic culture skin color/tone is a huge issue. There are several races that have what some call kinky hair. And there is no race that doesn't have folks walking around with large lips.

With that said I do think the American clown is founded in some type of racism and stereotyping and some may have direct links to black folks. At this point I doubt that everyone who are working as a clown is doing it to be racist - some might, but not all.

I understand how folks are scared of clowns and can associate them to sex offenders.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 19th September 2010, 11:58 pm

you guys make some good points! and LOL @ cluelesscurl. I don't want to start attacking all clowns or anything, i just wish i knew the real history of them because I always think of this whenever I see them.

So they're not only making fun of black people, but blacks, italians, jews, and all races? I don't think thats any better. I think its kind of saying these characteristics (like the afro) are funny looking and shouldn't be taken seriously or something. Thats the impression I get from it.
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 20th September 2010, 12:11 am

This whole thread made me cry laughing!

I can see the correlation between clown faces & minstrel shows/blackface. it'd be Interesting to learn the real history of this whole clown thing.

@naturallyu mimes?? Haven't heard that before however, I am DEATHLY afraid of mascots. Pretty much any person in a suit that doesn't show a human face and doesn't speak. I just think their maniacs who are unpredictable. Been chased more than a couple times by several different mascots. I will NEVER go to disney land/world.
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 20th September 2010, 12:54 am

When I think of clowns, I think of John Wayne Gacy...Serial killer. What's lurking underneath all of that face paint? What are you really trying to hide?
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 20th September 2010, 1:20 am

TiffNotANY wrote:I blame my cousins making me watch "IT" when I was little). Hmm... another reason for me not to like clowns!

Ok?!? Pennywise messed me up pretty bad...didn't even want to be around Ronald McDonald. Off topic, but porcelin dolls creep me out too No
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl 20th September 2010, 1:19 pm

@DerbyDiva Girl, you had me ROTF with your mascot comment
@cyclingchick Porcelain dolls now that is so true they kind of creep me out a bit too. When I see one I find myself staring at them for the longest time thinking they gonna end up like chucky
This is an interesting post

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry: extraordinary! 20th September 2010, 2:03 pm

cyclingchick wrote:
Ok?!? Pennywise messed me up pretty bad...didn't even want to be around Ronald McDonald. Off topic, but porcelin dolls creep me out too No

OMG!!! Tell me why my mom collects PORCELAIN CLOWN DOLLS!?!?!? Shocked creepiest things ever.
Cherry: extraordinary!
Cherry: extraordinary!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down