CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2.5 months transitioning

4 posters

Go down

2.5 months transitioning Empty 2.5 months transitioning

Post by CurlyNMixed 10th September 2010, 2:14 am

I'm trying to make it to December or January before doing the BC, but I'm transitioning with heat and I know that's not a good thing. My hair is cut at a chin length A-line bob, so it's a little difficult to do flat twists or bantus to transition. Not to mention, it's highly layered. I hadn't planned on going natural until after I cut my hair, so yeah, oh well. Any suggestions on good transition styles besides braids?
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

2.5 months transitioning Empty Re: 2.5 months transitioning

Post by ReRe71 10th September 2010, 1:26 pm

Hey CurlyNMixed: I've been transitioning since March, and my staple style is a roller set. It last a few days (at least 3) and doesn't take too long to do. I use perm rods (the orange ones) which gives me a tighter curl so they will last longer. I actually just took out my cornrows last night....the itching was killing me!! They only lasted a week..LOL

ReRe71
ReRe71

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 10th September 2010, 2:27 pm

I'll have to try that. How long is your hair?
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th September 2010, 3:03 pm

Roller sets and rod set were my go to style when I was transitioning.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe71 10th September 2010, 3:13 pm

@CurlyNMixed: My hair falls a little below my ears...I had about 1 1/2 inches cut off in July because I'm not doing a BC, so I plan on just cutting my relaxed ends of gradually.

@Lynnieluve: I'm with you on that one...its probably the best style for blending to the two textures.
ReRe71
ReRe71

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th September 2010, 3:22 pm

I had a ton of fabric headbands too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 10th September 2010, 3:24 pm

I have a couple, but I need to more to match all of my clothes... I'm kicking myself for not deciding to start transitioning sooner. Hehehe.
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by blkberrimolasses 11th September 2010, 7:25 am

Don't do the heat!! Trust me. I'm about 8.5 months post and kicking myself b/c I used heat once a week for the first 5 months or so. I ended up heat damaging some of my new growth and it was definitely a setback. I'd intended to transition for 8 months, but now I'm going for a full year b/c I wanna snip the heat damaged new growth along with the last of my relaxed ends.

Anyway, I co-sign rollersets. I also do a lot of twist & curls. I think I'm about to start bunning though... the longer I transition, the more rollersets highlight the relaxed ends laying on top of a pile of new growth. Laughing
blkberrimolasses
blkberrimolasses

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 11th September 2010, 3:33 pm

I just did my first twist out last night. I like it... A LOT!! So, I think I'll do this and maybe get some braids to get me to December.
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 11th September 2010, 3:38 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are photos of it! I was worried about the top area because when I twisted it, the area was so short and bluntly cut that I all didn't want to stay in the twist. I think it turned out fine, though.
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 11th September 2010, 3:47 pm

blkberri - I just bought some curl rods last night, too. I really like the twist out, though. It was a tad uncomfortable to sleep on, but once I was asleep, I guess it was okay. Last night when I cowashed, I saw my curls and got really excited so I just couldn't bring myself to flat iron. They coiled so nicely. I'm really excited about it, and I'm sure that my husband is tired of hearing about it and every time I've washed I've showed him the new growth.
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe71 11th September 2010, 6:50 pm

@CurlyNMixed: your twistout is cute! That style you are wearing is pretty much my staple (hair pushed back with a headband but from a rollerset). I, too, get sooo excited when I cowash and see my curls....I am so tempted to BC but I'm being patient. I even cut a very small section to see how my natural hair looked...LOL
ReRe71
ReRe71

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 11th September 2010, 6:59 pm

@ReRe: I can see myself cutting a little section in the crown of my head. I'm impatient with some stuff. Today, to get my mind off of everything, I'm cutting up fabric and sewing hairbands. Very fun!
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by blkberrimolasses 12th September 2010, 12:46 am

We're all on the same page. Sometimes I get fed up with the 2 textures and think I should just relax this ish. Then I wash and get to playing with my coils and wanna BC immejiately. LOL. I'm guilty of having cut the relaxed hair off at my nape. Laughing
blkberrimolasses
blkberrimolasses

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 12th September 2010, 1:04 am

Your twist n curl turned out really good!!! SN: I love your freckles! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyNMixed 14th September 2010, 2:08 pm

Thanks Lynnie!

I think I'm losing the battle with the BC. Since this morning I have been turning it over in my head and may be doing it today. I have class this after for an hour, and after I pick my son up from preschool I'll have about 3.5 hours before I have to be at my evening class. I might just be so antsy that I pull out the scissors and start snipping. I will say that I am not liking the transitioning stage. I have over an inch of new growth, so I think I'll be okay with cutting it. I may just do an ALMOST BC and leave on maybe half an inch of relaxed hair. The only think that is halfway holding me back is the really thin area in the back. My hair fell out there due to meds or lupus, not sure which, but I think that continuing to relax had prevented hair from growing there. I'm hoping that cutting my hair off and staying away from chemicals will allow it to grow. So, yeah, we'll see whether or cut or not in a few hours. I've got the itch really bad, though.
CurlyNMixed
CurlyNMixed

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe71 14th September 2010, 3:30 pm

@CurlyNMixed: I can really feel your pain...I wrestle with deciding to BC everyday...but I'm determined to go at least a year. Another issue I'm dealing with is that I am in my brother's wedding at the end of this month and have NO CLUE as to what to get done to my hair (the wedding is in another state and I am very particular about someone else doing my hair).

Whether you decide to BC today or not, we support you regardless!!!
ReRe71
ReRe71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down