CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Trimming Often Enough?

5 posters

Go down

Not Trimming Often Enough? Empty Not Trimming Often Enough?

Post by Ms.Fenty 11th August 2010, 12:11 am

I was going to trim every 6 months or so, because I don't plan to BC or slowly cut off my relaxed ends (yet), for now I just want to see how long my hair can grow. Anyway, I wasn't supposed to straighten my hair yet, but I wanted a change and wasn't in the mood to do kinky twists. But my ends look really good/even, not a split end in sight (super surprised), so I decided that I didn't need a trim. However, I won't be straightening my hair again until February, and my last trim/cut was in March, is that too long to wait to trim my ends again? (BTW, I don't trim myself, there's only one stylist I will let anywhere near me w/scissors)

How often do you ladies trim your hair?
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Not Trimming Often Enough? Empty Re: Not Trimming Often Enough?

Post by MS. FAJA 11th August 2010, 12:38 am

I THINK THAT IS WAY TO LONG TO WAIT UNTIL TRIMMING. WHEN I HAD RELAXED HAIR (I KNO DIFFERENT RULES APPLY TO RELAXED HAIR) MY MOM (WHO WAS A STYLIST) HAD ME TO CLIP MY ENDS EVERY 6 TO 8 WEEKS (WHEN I GOT RELAXERS). I THINK YOU SHOULD DO IT NXT MONTH IF NOT NOW AND KEEP IT UP EVERY 3 TO 4MO (BUT THAT DEPENDS ON YOUR HAIR)
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

https://www.facebook.com/missfaja

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 11th August 2010, 7:15 pm

Idk about every 3-4months that seems like a lot (I'm not giving up my relaxed ends just yet, I want to retain some length for now). But your probably right when you say I need to trim sooner than every 11 months (geez never really paid attention to the actual number of months).

Anyway, I do wonder, if trimming is supposed to get rid of splits and breaks and I don't have any (I search and destroy), why do I still have to trim often? Is it like a pre-emptive strike against damage?

Also my main issue is that my hair would have to be straightened for me to get it trimmed, and I'm staying away from heat styling as much as I can. Even though I straightened my hair (on low/med), my roots really aren't all that straight, and I think my stylist will have to run the comb through it, most likely a tail comb and thats not an easy task right now....

BTW: the original plan was to trim every six months, is that bad too?
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 12th August 2010, 6:13 pm

If you regularly inspect your hair for split ends and damage, then I think it is fine to trim only when you see signs of stress, which could be every 6 weeks or every 6 months.

There are some women who never or rarely trim because they are able to protect their hair. When I was texturizing every 6-12 months, my stylist didn't trim every time - sometimes she'd do a mini type of search&destroy instead of a full trim, sometimes she'd do nothing with scissors at all. But I wasn't heat styling my hair then (probably 2 blowouts by my stylist in 10 years), and still don't now. Now that I'm spending a lot of time in a very dry climate and find it a bigger challenge to protect my hair and retain the moisture it had when I lived in a more humid climate, I'm doing lots with scissors.
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by aliciamichelle 13th August 2010, 3:07 pm

There is no such thing as going too long without a trim. The whole reason people trim is to get rid of damaged ends; so if you have none, there is nothing to trim.

aliciamichelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 13th August 2010, 5:58 pm

If you search and destroy then there isn't a need to trim too. If your ends are healthy then don't trim. You should only trim when you see signs of damage. I've been transitioning for 13 months now and did a search & destroy once. Never trimmed. I have no shedding or breakage so I don't see the need.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down