CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There?

+2
KinkyNappyHappy
DvaAuNaturel
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There? Empty Still Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There?

Post by DvaAuNaturel 1st May 2010, 10:07 pm

Okay, let me try this again....I'm ISO (in search of) a big sis to help me on
my journey. I BC'd 2-24-10 and am 2 mos natural. Please help.
Thanks in advance! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

~Dva

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 20th May 2010, 11:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There? Empty Re: Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There?

Post by DvaAuNaturel 4th May 2010, 6:38 pm

Hello....anybody out there?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There? Empty Re: Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There?

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 5th May 2010, 5:41 pm

Hang in here Dva I'm looking for a sister for you too!!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 5th May 2010, 11:32 pm

KNH Thanks!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 14th May 2010, 10:05 am

bump
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Looking for Big Sis....Hello....Anybody Out There? Empty Big Sis Needed....Hello....Anybody out there?

Post by DvaAuNaturel 20th May 2010, 11:27 pm

Still asking....anyone out there interested in providing this curly a little support on my journey. Nothing major. Just looking for someone to help with general questions and guidance as I figure things out with my hair. TIA!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 21st May 2010, 7:57 am

Good morning DVA,

I've been natural for about 8 months now. I can help with any questions, support and guidance if you'd like.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 21st May 2010, 12:45 pm

Thanks for stepping up KC, now I have a little sister. LOL
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st May 2010, 1:06 pm

krazy coils wrote:Good morning DVA,

I've been natural for about 8 months now. I can help with any questions, support and guidance if you'd like.

OMG, thank you so much! I was trying to wait patiently. A little about me. I've been natural for almost 3 mos. My BC was 2-24-10. I have a TWA that is doing okay but I have moisture issues, or so I think.

Currently all I do are wash and go's. I've used Oyin and Kinky Curly products. I normally co wash 2-3 x's per week and wet my hair daily either in the shower or with a spritz of conditioner/oil mixed up. My hair feels okay but doesn't have a sheen like I am used to, so to me it looks dry. I think I have the right steps just not sure if I'm over wetting it and that is causing it to "look" dry or what.

I know a lot of it is trial and error but I want to make sure I am able to tell when my hair is properly moisturized. Probably a silly question but I'm still not quite sure.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 21st May 2010, 1:33 pm

Hey DVA [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ,

I actually started at the beginning of your CSJ thread and read the whole way through to see what was going on with your hair. To begin with since its been almost three months since your BC there is going to be some initial dryness. I've found that using really moisturing products and doing some type of deep treatment will help with this. So far the products you're using are good but I did read that you're protein sensitive so you want to make sure that you limit the protein in your products. The Giovanni SAS does have protein so I'm not sure if you're still using that.

Natural hair isn't going to shine the way our hair did with a relaxer but it does not mean that its dry. It can have a sheen to it that will prevent it from looking dull. I also read that you're in a product challenge but I don't remember which products you're currently using. For sheen in the mornings you can rub a pomade like the Burnt Sugar pomade you were using through your hair. When you spritz your hair you can rub the pomade through your hands and lightly add the pomade to your hair and this will help add a sheen. I like to use some type of pomade or butter to add sheen to my hair

You're doing good so far but I think we get used to the shine that we had with relaxed hair that we sometimes think our natural hair is dull or dry. As long as your hair is properly moisturized which you've been doing by wetting and spritzing your hair and you've started using the three steps to moisturization.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st May 2010, 5:13 pm

Thanks so much KrazyCoils. I haven't been using any type of pomades or butters. For the most part I've avoided them. I think because when I add them to my wet hair I ended up with a white mess....lol. Or either I used to much and my hair was super greasy. I tried to do too much to soon so I'm the product challenge has forced me to slow dowan and pay attention.

Also, I think the protein sensitivity occured from a henna treatment I did and the products I used to mix the henna. So I don't think I'm protein sensitive per se but need to watch the acidity of products I use for my henna mixes. I've actually continued to use Giovanni SAS with good results. I love it, it makes my hair feel so good and easy to run my fingers through.

Note to self, stop looking for the "relaxed shiny hair look". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I typically wet my hair everyday, so should I stop doing that and add the pomade/butter to my dry hair?

How do you appy those type of products to your hair?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 21st May 2010, 7:37 pm

I love the Giovanni SAS! You don't have to stop wetting your hair everyday if you're not having problems and actually wetting your is good. How long does it normally take your hair to dry when you wet and apply your products?

When I was in my TWA stage and I was wetting my hair everday I would usually carry my butter or pomade in my purse to work and when my hair was either semi-dry or totally dry I would then apply it to my hair to add shine. When your hair isn't soaking wet you shouldn't get the white hair. I'm not sure how your hair likes oils but I would also sometimes mix my leave-in conditioner with castor oil when wearing a wash n go. This helped to add softness and sheen.

You mentioned that you now use a T-shirt to get rid of some of the excess water from your hair. I do the same thing and I actually wrap the t-shirt around my head it helps to speed up drying time. I really only use pomades to add shine and use them in the morning before I leave. I just smooth it in my hands and lightly fluff my hair.

When I am using a butter I use it for styling if I am doing twists or braids. I use to do my hair on soaking wet hair also but lately I have been doing it on damp and dry hair. As your hair grows your routine is going to change especially as you learn your hair. Let me know what products you're using to do your twists this weekend.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 21st May 2010, 8:03 pm

This is really not a reply but I just read tha info here & I want a big sis too I would luv 2 hav someone 2 help me wit all of tha questions that I have bcause I have soooooo many So if any1 is interested in being my Big Sis I would luv 2 hav 1 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 22nd May 2010, 9:53 pm

Hi Sebastain,
I suggest you post a request right here in the Big Sis thread. Right now you posted to my individual request, so you won't get as many views. This way people can read a little about you and what you need and reply accordingly.

Good luck!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th May 2010, 9:34 pm

krazy coils wrote:I love the Giovanni SAS! You don't have to stop wetting your hair everyday if you're not having problems and actually wetting your is good. How long does it normally take your hair to dry when you wet and apply your products?

When I was in my TWA stage and I was wetting my hair everday I would usually carry my butter or pomade in my purse to work and when my hair was either semi-dry or totally dry I would then apply it to my hair to add shine. When your hair isn't soaking wet you shouldn't get the white hair. I'm not sure how your hair likes oils but I would also sometimes mix my leave-in conditioner with castor oil when wearing a wash n go. This helped to add softness and sheen.

You mentioned that you now use a T-shirt to get rid of some of the excess water from your hair. I do the same thing and I actually wrap the t-shirt around my head it helps to speed up drying time. I really only use pomades to add shine and use them in the morning before I leave. I just smooth it in my hands and lightly fluff my hair.

When I am using a butter I use it for styling if I am doing twists or braids. I use to do my hair on soaking wet hair also but lately I have been doing it on damp and dry hair. As your hair grows your routine is going to change especially as you learn your hair. Let me know what products you're using to do your twists this weekend.

My hair, IMO, takes awhile to dry. Sometimes I will shower and co-wash etc. Once I blot with the t-shirt I'll apply products, go iron my clothes, get dressed, and fumble around (since I'm always looking for something in the morning) for about 10 mins. My hair is still wet while I ride into work, typically 45-60 mins. It's never dry by the time I arrive to the office. The product isn't as visible but my hair is still damp. I wonder if I'm letting too much water remain in my hair. Maybe I should blot more with the t-shirt.

Also, good tip about the butter/pomade. I'll start applying after my hair is close to dry. I like sheen so I'll be sure to keep a mix in my bag too. I was using Oyin juices when using their products. I guess I need to make a little spritz to carry around too.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 24th May 2010, 10:59 pm

Also try plopping which is actually wrapping the t-shirt around your head turban style to get out excess water.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th May 2010, 11:25 pm

LOL, I thought I was plopping. I'll try the real method now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Should I apply any oils or anything to my scalp occasionally, like 1-2x/week?

If not, what should/can I use on my scalp?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 24th May 2010, 11:51 pm

Yes this is the best time to oil your scalp! What oils do you currently have now? You can always mix them to come up with something you like. In the beginning I would use just Castor oil on my scalp 2-3 nights a week.

Since castor oil is so thick I mix it with other oils like olive oil or safflower. Choose the ones you like and if you already have some you don't have to go out and buy more. I also add 2 essential oils like rosemary or peppermint. I mix them in one of those travel size containers, shake and apply with my fingers in a massaging motion. This will help to stimulate your scalp.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 25th May 2010, 12:03 am

krazy coils wrote:Yes this is the best time to oil your scalp! What oils do you currently have now? You can always mix them to come up with something you like. In the beginning I would use just Castor oil on my scalp 2-3 nights a week.

Since castor oil is so thick I mix it with other oils like olive oil or safflower. Choose the ones you like and if you already have some you don't have to go out and buy more. I also add 2 essential oils like rosemary or peppermint. I mix them in one of those travel size containers, shake and apply with my fingers in a massaging motion. This will help to stimulate your scalp.

Good, I have several of the items you mention already on hand. I will mix some almond, castor, and coconut oil along with some rosemary and maybe lavender.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 25th May 2010, 8:28 am

Sounds good, let me know how you like it.
krazy coils
krazy coils

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 25th May 2010, 1:24 pm

Sorry to high jack your thread DVA, LOL. I never oil my scalp, ok well i guess i will start.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 25th May 2010, 8:45 pm

Hey Ms. DVA-

At the last meet-up your hair looked FAB!!! You got skills. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When I became comfortable w/ some of the ladies on the site. I sent them a PM and asked if they could be my Big Sista or hair mentor and they didn't have a problem w/ it. You may want to take the approach.
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 25th May 2010, 10:20 pm

CrissyQ wrote:Sorry to high jack your thread DVA, LOL. I never oil my scalp, ok well i guess i will start.

No problem for you at all CrissyQ. We can share KrazyCoils tips and support between both our threads. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 25th May 2010, 10:22 pm

neethair wrote:Hey Ms. DVA-

At the last meet-up your hair looked FAB!!! You got skills. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When I became comfortable w/ some of the ladies on the site. I sent them a PM and asked if they could be my Big Sista or hair mentor and they didn't have a problem w/ it. You may want to take the approach.

Hey there Neethair. Thanks!

KrazyCoils stepped in to help me so I'm good now....thanks for that suggestion though.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 28th May 2010, 6:45 pm

Hey KC,
I noticed today that my hair was a frizzy. I've always, always, always had problems controlling frizzies when my hair is natural. My mom said my hair has been like that since I was young. Anyway, I want to know how I can best control frizz with my twists/twist outs?

I applied oil to my hands before separating my hair and before fluffing too.

I read OOOOP2 post and she said she applies a leave in condish and then her shea butter mix, to ensure super moisturized hair, before twisting.

I notice too that a lot of the curlies uses some type of shea butter on their twists/braids. Is shea butter a better choice for twisting?

If I use other products, like Qhemet, should I use a leave in to ensure extra moisture?

What do you recommend and do personally to control frizzy hair?

Thanks in advance!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum