CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break?

+18
Berry3674
LetMeFixMyHurr
CSI
misskris
Sweet Tee
sonance
Renny
kimc
Poundcake921
BekkaPoo
Naturally Nu*
Want2bcurly
Princess
moonchild
hurjurnee
raina
freckledmom4
4EverNatural
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break? Empty Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break?

Post by 4EverNatural 26th July 2010, 12:29 pm

Hello Natural Beauties,

I am starting to believe that Wash-n-Go's are not healthy for my hair becuase during the styling process I am constantly tugging and pulling at my hair in order evenly distribute the product. During this process I notice hair on my hands and in the sink [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

Does anyone else experience this, if so what protective style are you wearing in place of the wash-n-go?

4EverNatural

Back to top Go down

Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break? Empty Re: Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break?

Post by freckledmom4 26th July 2010, 1:06 pm

Let me start by telling you that I just bc'ed 6/30 so I am new to the natural world, but I was cowashing and styling wngs daily for the first couple of weeks. I did not like the fact that I had to soak my hair everyday and it took all day to dry so I started looking for other styling options. My hair was also starting to feel very brittle even though I was moisturizing and sealing day and night. so for the last week and a half, Ive been braiding the front and doing a twist out in the back. Even though I use the same products to set the twists (ecostyler gel) my hair feels much softer and better conditioned and I don't have to run from the a/c with my wet head.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break? Empty Re: Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break?

Post by raina 26th July 2010, 1:47 pm

I think wearing wash and go's can contribute to hair breakage especially when its time to detangle.I have been thinking about wearing more protective styles because I have found some breakage on the top of my crown and I know its from detangling(and I am very careful) so I am going to go into protective mode.I think I am going to do bantu knotouts and make the style last for a week.(I will take the knots down and pin up my hair).Another alternative is to wear twists.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by hurjurnee 26th July 2010, 1:56 pm

I have experienced more shedding and 'fairy knots' when wearing wash and go's. I believe this is due to excessive manipulation, the type of products that are necessary to achieve the perfect wash and go, and my hair tangles more when I don't leave it in a protective style. I've read about other ladies who are able to achieve a lot of growth while maintaining wash and go's, but it really depends on your personal hair type.
hurjurnee
hurjurnee

Back to top Go down

Post by 4EverNatural 26th July 2010, 2:11 pm

Thank you ladies:
@freckledmom4: I also felt like my hair was brittle at times

@raina : I am considering doing the Bantu Knots and just retwist at night.
@hurjurnee: I have been experiencing a lot of Fairy Knots and shedding and it is driving me CRAZY. Although, I am using the shingle method when applying the products, I feel like l am pulling my hair out. I def have to find and alternative protective style before I end up bald from all this shedding. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

4EverNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 26th July 2010, 2:45 pm

My hair tangles and knots when I wash and go, which seems worse to me than the manipulation to twist and then retwist. I have less fairy knots when I twist and it lasts a lot longer.

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 26th July 2010, 3:43 pm

I've noticed the same thing also. So I experimented the last week. What I did was put twists in my dry hair, wet my head in the shower, then I put in my leave in (without unraveling the twists), then applied a little of my styling gel and let my hair dry overnight. I ended up with a different curl pattern then if I did a wash and go, but I did have very defined curls, and lost less hair. Maybe that could work for you.
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by 4EverNatural 26th July 2010, 4:02 pm

Thank you Princess , I am glad I am not the only one who is expriencing this MADDNESS...LOL

4EverNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess 26th July 2010, 4:13 pm

LOL, me too!
Princess
Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Want2bcurly 26th July 2010, 6:04 pm

You ladies have help me out just from reading your topic I am new to going natural so this has help me out a lot. I have now started doing the knot out cause my hair was tangled from the wash and go so far this has help me out a lot. I hope u have much success with ur new style 4EverNatural

Want2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th July 2010, 7:06 am

I too am in the same shoes...they're so quick and convenient but :sigh:..time to cut back. womp womp! Well, I'm hennaing and trimming this week...so after that Smile
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by 4EverNatural 28th July 2010, 1:54 pm

Hello Naturally Nu,

What hair style will you use in place of the wash n go?

4EverNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 28th July 2010, 4:24 pm

I think it depends on your hair.. for me I can't rock protective styles like twists or braids for more than a few days without getting breakage and dryness. Wash-n-goes, loose buns, pinned updos, and ponytails are about all I can get away with style-wise.
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 28th July 2010, 6:25 pm

I'll be rockin the two strand twist (dry hair) and twist outs.

The two-strand is in my avatar (top half pinned to one side)..kinda hard to see.

This is my fave style below (a lot of work considering it only lasts a day though, so I normally where it for a special occasion or when my twists start lookin shabby...booo!). I get a different result when I do a twist-out on wet hair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 28th July 2010, 6:52 pm

My hair is so tempermental; when I was doing wash-n-gos almost every day for the past month or so, my hair loved it; but up until a couple of weeks ago my hair became very very dry, hard, and brittle. So last week I only co-washed once and used my oil/conditioner spray mix all the other days and my hair did a complete 180! Plus I recently rediscovered KCCC again and it works wonders on my hair now; all I have to do is spray my hair and the curls come alive again!...no need to wash-n-go all the time!

I'm not really into protective styles...just not my thing; I like to wear my hair out.....
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Do WASH-N-Go's cause the hair to Break? Empty Protective Styles breakage

Post by kimc 27th November 2010, 12:42 am

BekkaPoo wrote:I think it depends on your hair.. for me I can't rock protective styles like twists or braids for more than a few days without getting breakage and dryness. Wash-n-goes, loose buns, pinned updos, and ponytails are about all I can get away with style-wise.

This happened to me. I did not have breakage until I wore a protective style. I think my hair needs moisture to the ends everyday and if I skip two days when I take it down I have breakage! I thought I was the only one!
kimc
kimc

http://imakinkygurl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 27th November 2010, 3:37 pm

I'm a new natural, too, but I love a WNG. I've had great growth, no breakage and no knots since I big chopped in August. WNG's have been my staple hair do until recently. I think my hair loves the water, but I don't wash my hair everyday. I only wash it twice a week. My hair is moist and my ends are good. As far as manipulation, I only really work the product through the first day and then it's just fluffing to get it right on subsequent days.

I agree, it has to have to do with your hair texture, because I have a friend who never does WNG's. I've seen her try to detangle after. It is a nightmare. Do what you think is best for your hair.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 1st December 2010, 7:45 pm

kimc wrote:
BekkaPoo wrote:I think it depends on your hair.. for me I can't rock protective styles like twists or braids for more than a few days without getting breakage and dryness. Wash-n-goes, loose buns, pinned updos, and ponytails are about all I can get away with style-wise.

This happened to me. I did not have breakage until I wore a protective style. I think my hair needs moisture to the ends everyday and if I skip two days when I take it down I have breakage! I thought I was the only one!

Me too! I hear so many people talk about Protective styles and how it's better for their hair but I've been doing the wash n go 90% of the time for two years and have minimal shedding. I have more when I rush but when I take my time detangling I don't lose that much at all.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 1st December 2010, 7:46 pm

kimc wrote:

sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 9:08 pm

Renny wrote:I'm a new natural, too, but I love a WNG. I've had great growth, no breakage and no knots since I big chopped in August. WNG's have been my staple hair do until recently. I think my hair loves the water, but I don't wash my hair everyday. I only wash it twice a week. My hair is moist and my ends are good. As far as manipulation, I only really work the product through the first day and then it's just fluffing to get it right on subsequent days.

I agree, it has to have to do with your hair texture, because I have a friend who never does WNG's. I've seen her try to detangle after. It is a nightmare. Do what you think is best for your hair.

I agree with all of this.
WnGs have been wonderful for me.

I do get fuzzies, but that's when I know it's time for me to comb this bush
(I comb my hair once a month). Aside from a small amount of shedding, it's been great.

And now that I have found my winter products, I have no problems from WnGs.
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 9:59 pm

yeah, up until a few weeks ago, especially during the summer, that's ALL i wore was wash n go's. Easy. I had no shedding and I have been doing this for 14 yrs. In the past few months I started noticng shedding but it could be due to a number of other issues like, stress, diet, this hard water we have (and I noticed the shedding shortly after we moved here), inconsistent drinking of water.....who knows. BUT do remember that we shed an avg of 100 hairs per day and if you go for days withOUT combing (like I do) most likely you will see tons of hair in your hand/sink/floor. So yeah just do what your likes. To each her own!!! Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CSI 3rd December 2010, 5:45 pm

I've tried them all, twist outs, tnc, flat twist outs, blow outs, wash and set, you name it and my hair HATES them all. If it wasn't for the wash and go I don't know what I would do. At first, after the BC your hair is naturally dry anyways so you have to get through that but once you do, you may find that you like the WNG's as an alternative to the other styles. Once I discovered henna and got my hair into maximum condition, I was good to go with my wash and go's Smile that rhymes Smile lol Anyway, I think it all depends on you and also where you are in your journey. Besides, wng doesn't mean wetting your hair every single day. NO WAY.. I get at least 4 days out of it and can get a week if I do up do's by the end of the week Smile

CSI

Back to top Go down

Post by LetMeFixMyHurr 3rd December 2010, 6:53 pm

I never do WNG unless I wear it in a puff. My hair is too short, or not short enough, in my opinion, for it to look good in a wash and go's, so I stuck with twist-out's. But I was doing WNG puffs for like a month straight and my moisture leave was up! lol.
LetMeFixMyHurr
LetMeFixMyHurr

Back to top Go down

Post by Berry3674 6th December 2010, 1:13 pm

I have 4a/4b hair that's only about 7-8 inches and I live by my wash and go puff!! I wash and dc on Saturdays and use my curl activator gel. I kinda just smooth it in randomly. Then I re-wet and shake to form the curls. Then for up to 3 days after, I only slightly re-wet and shake each morning after. I also use my applicator bottle to apply my oil to my scalp every other night. By Weds I cowash and re-gel. The following Saturday I begin again. My hair's growing like weeds and always very moist. I also will spritz every few days with a glycerin mix. When I used to shingle heavily I think I experienced more breakage from all the manipulation. Now that I let the curls form naturally and I don't fuss with it, I'm experiencing very healthy hair.
Berry3674
Berry3674

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 6th December 2010, 3:50 pm

My hair doesn't really like protective styles. I have to put alot of time and effort and product into it to keep it moisturised. When I first bcd I tried them to maximize my hair growth but I'm now realising my hair loves the moistness of a wash and go. The trick is to not rake the product through the hair but to smooth it on in layers to lessen the manipulation and it also helps with clumping as well.
Also I rarely detangle my hair thoroughly. I finger comb it with a good conditioner in like HEHH. Once I month I whip out the denman and use it with a slippery conditioner and my detangling ghee.
With protective styles I ended up manipulating too much as it would get too fuzzy too quickly.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next