CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OOOO, CAN WE TALK ABOUT ALOE VERA GEL?

+20
kim
CrissyQ
TerraD
xtremelyperfect
Blackbeauty
CurlySpeechTherapist
FierceNerd
TruBeautyPrsprs
Mimi
Erica5417
Dricka
BlondeByDesire
NubieNatty
SisterBoyd
jamaicacurl
ChrsLvsBks
nmoultry
tiashaunteé
dajewel
Intelligentbeauty
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

OOOO, CAN WE TALK ABOUT ALOE VERA GEL? - Page 2 Empty Re: OOOO, CAN WE TALK ABOUT ALOE VERA GEL?

Post by dajewel 14th November 2009, 10:48 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:THIS SHEA/ALOE MIXTURE SOUNDS DIVINE. I WILL BE CHECKING OUT THAT YouTube site.

But question for sisterboyd, when you mixed the bad products with honey and such, didnt bacteria growth in it? I don't believe there is enough preservatives in the shampoo or conditioners to cover these sweet ingredients.

honey is a natural preservative/antibacterial agent.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

OOOO, CAN WE TALK ABOUT ALOE VERA GEL? - Page 2 Empty Re: OOOO, CAN WE TALK ABOUT ALOE VERA GEL?

Post by dajewel 14th November 2009, 10:49 am

jamaicacurl wrote:@dajewel - we went to SC to visit hubby's parents & grandparents. His grandmother had 2 aloe plants at the front of the house in the garden. I was so tempted to ask for some but I didn't Sad I guess I need to find some of my own...

afro
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th November 2009, 12:55 am

So I made my shea/aloe mix today. Oh my hair loves it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It was wonderful. Shiny, soft, nice detangler too. I mixed unrefined shea butter, aloe vera, coconut oil, evoo, castor oil, sweet almond, and jo oil. (I KNOW I WENT A LITTLE CRAZY WITH YUMMY INGREDIENTS) But WOW, I love it!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th November 2009, 1:17 am

im scared to use honey cuz i dnt like the stickyness...eeeek!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 15th November 2009, 1:22 am

No, actually when you honey mix with aloe vera, the mixture turns to a liquid consistency. Not eeekky at all...lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 15th November 2009, 11:20 am

I'll have to try for twisting.
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 15th November 2009, 12:07 pm

I made a mixture for my son's hair yesterday using aloe vera gel, honey, unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, and EVOO. I mixed it with my hand mixer and it came out great! Nice smooth consistency and it melts like butter on your skin!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dricka 15th November 2009, 4:33 pm

When twisting my hair, I use a mix of aloe, shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil (or another oil) and glycerin. Another curly friend recommended I try it out and it has been working great. With this most recent batch, I skipped the glycerin because of the weather and didn't notice much of a difference.

When done twisting, I add either shea butter or shea butter and coconut oil to seal the ends.

I use this kind . [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the recipe I started out with

8 oz Aloe Vera Gel
4 oz Shea Butter
4 oz Coconut Oil
1 oz Jojoba Oil
1 oz Vegetable Glycerin

Now when I make it, I don't even measure.. LOL! Now i use more shea butter because I wanted the mixture a little thicker and my hair loves butters.
Dricka
Dricka

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 15th November 2009, 4:53 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:I made a mixture for my son's hair yesterday using aloe vera gel, honey, unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, and EVOO. I mixed it with my hand mixer and it came out great! Nice smooth consistency and it melts like butter on your skin!

awesome!!!! could you also post this in the November challenge thread, as this mix is part of this month's challenge. your feedback about this combo will be helpful!!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 15th November 2009, 5:59 pm

I bought some aloe vera gel (the Lily of the Desert kind) and didn't refrigerate it after opening (well, I did but my daughter took it out-- the joys of motherhood, lol). Do I have to throw it out now?
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 15th November 2009, 9:10 pm

dajewel wrote:
jamaicacurl wrote:I made a mixture for my son's hair yesterday using aloe vera gel, honey, unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, and EVOO. I mixed it with my hand mixer and it came out great! Nice smooth consistency and it melts like butter on your skin!

awesome!!!! could you also post this in the November challenge thread, as this mix is part of this month's challenge. your feedback about this combo will be helpful!!!!

Done! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th November 2009, 1:34 am

Has anyone tried their mixture on their face? I tried mine and I found it works wonderfully as a moisturizer. And I have oily skin.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 16th November 2009, 2:21 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:Has anyone tried their mixture on their face? I tried mine and I found it works wonderfully as a moisturizer. And I have oily skin.

Yeah I've used mine on my body and the shea butter alone on my face. Both work wonders!
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 16th November 2009, 9:13 am

I use AVG and EVOO on my face as a moisturizer. I'll never buy store moisturizers again!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th November 2009, 9:36 am

YES THAT IS THE WAY I FEEL TOO, JAMAICACURL [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mimi 16th November 2009, 6:21 pm

Where can I buy the glycerin? Is it liquid or what?
And what about the aloe vera gel? Is it special hair gel or can you use it also on your body?

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 16th November 2009, 6:53 pm

Mimi wrote:Where can I buy the glycerin? Is it liquid or what?
And what about the aloe vera gel? Is it special hair gel or can you use it also on your body?

I just saw some glycerin in Walgreen's last week, I was shocked
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 17th November 2009, 2:24 am

I get my glycerin and aloe vera gel/juice from Whole Foods.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mimi 17th November 2009, 5:00 am

But I'm not from the USA. I am from the Netherlands... So I hoped to order it online.

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 17th November 2009, 2:29 pm

mimi, you should be able to get them at a health foods store in your city.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 17th November 2009, 2:32 pm

oh, i bought jason cosmetics aloe gel last night for my twists. i twisted 1/2 my hair with aloe from the plant and the other from jason's. so far, for me, they only slightly differ in feel: the aloe from the plant makes my twists feel more softer, pliable than the one from jason's. we shall see about the twist out? i don't plan on wearing a twist out for another month.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mimi 17th November 2009, 3:22 pm

dajewel wrote:mimi, you should be able to get them at a health foods store in your city.

Thank you!

Mimi

Back to top Go down

Post by TruBeautyPrsprs 18th November 2009, 1:11 am

I loooove aloe. I mix 100% aloe vera juice from TVS with water and glycerin and it works as a great leave in/refresher. My hair is moisturized for days when I use this mix.

TruBeautyPrsprs

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 18th November 2009, 10:01 pm

sisterboyd, i cannot find that youtube site on how to fix bad product. Please help?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 19th November 2009, 5:11 am

SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next