CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Transitioners questions!

+2
thetiffany
krys419
6 posters

Go down

Long Transitioners questions! Empty Long Transitioners questions!

Post by krys419 28th June 2010, 7:00 pm

Hi guys I'm new to this forum. I saw the episode on Tyra where Nikki was there and just was in LOVE with her curls. I realized that I actually been on the site before, but her on Tyra made me actually take the time to view the site. And I LOVE it.

I'm TRANSITIONING!
Okay
1st question:
When timing how long you have been relaxer free I have been couning every 4 weeks as a month, but I feel I might be mistaken. My last relaxer was November 28, 2009. With my 4 week method, on June 12, 2010 I was 7 months relaxer free. Or am I supposed to just count June 28th 2010 as 7 months by just taking the 28th of each month as anothermonth? Please help!

2nd:
Will my curls at the roots look all sexy like they do now or will they be all shunken up and nappy once I chop off the relaxer? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Or does it just depend on if your natural hair is long or short as to how the curls will stretch

3rd:
I feel like I lost all my sex appeal now that I don't relax anymore. My 3 yr younger sister tells me how bad I NEED a perm [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My mom tells me I need to smooth down my naps [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and my cousin tells me how hideous I look and "Your hair texture looks so wonderful and thick when permed. Just put a perm on. It will be beautiful" LOL They just don't understand why I would want my hair to "look like this"? My mom has been a bit encouraging though. So I figure this is how most black people feel when they see me? How do I get sexy hairdos on TRANSITIONING hair. I love up dos. Should I gel down my sides? Or will that cause breakage? I used gel when I was natural.

4th (Most important question):
People with THICK textured African American Coarse hair, how do you manage the difference in transitioning hair? My hair texture is such a HUGE difference from my relaxed hair. What products help smooth the new growth? If you do not have hair texture similar to mine I highly doubt your products will help on mine. So far I had a weave for 3 and a half months, braids for 2 months, and now my hair is out. Any pomades, leave-ins, conditioners, gels, shampoos that can blend the texture?

My Regimen
So far I have been using Suave Clarifying shampoo (I was under the impression that shampoo does not really matter, but if you have a smoothing shampoo please give it here!). I highly recommend that shampoo for peopel who have just taken out box braids after a few months to really get the gunk out. Then I use Fantasia IC reconstructor (I recommend that to EVERYONE for detangling!) and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then if I have CHI Thermal Treatment I put on for 10 minutes if I'm going to blowdry. it smells FANTASTIC. then I use fantasia IC deep conditioner and leave it on for about 2 hours. I like to work around the house around this time so the heat from my scalp penetrates hair under the cap. I also love Fantacsia IC Hair polisher for damaged, dyed hair in the blue bottle. LOVE IT. I put it in as my hair is air drying. For flat ironing I use the polisher in the pink bottle. Leave ins I just use the leave ins from perm boxes that i have left over (soft and beautiful, African pride, dark and lovely, cream of nature,etc). I use Shapley's MTG oil on my edges where my braids caused some damage. HELP

My texture when it was under a weave and sprayed with braid spray.
https://2img.net/h/i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/krys315/Picture023.jpg

Not me, but this is my natural texture (I THINK)
https://2img.net/h/i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/krys315/yes-1-1.jpg
https://2img.net/h/i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/krys315/yes-12.jpg

krys419

Back to top Go down

Long Transitioners questions! Empty Re: Long Transitioners questions!

Post by thetiffany 29th June 2010, 12:28 am

hi there! i have bee relaxer free since 2006 but ive been pressing my hair. im new to the forum too but will try and answer some of your questions based on what i do/

1- as fas as counting time from last perm, i think thats up to you. i know my last perm was around summer of 2006, i count the years now since its been awhile

2- depends on your hair cuz everyones is different. i remember when i first started transitioning my hair was not managable at all unless i pressed it. i guess this was because i wasnt taking care of it. while i still had relaxer on my ends, my roots were so much healthier and prettier than my relaxed hair... i guess im trying to say its kinda "wait and see" type thing

3- your family sounds alot like mine. my mother and sister still try to convince me to perm my hair after all these years, lol. my husband laughs when hes sees my hair freshly washed and all shrunk up, and he really gets a kick when i blow dry and i have a huge affro. i just recently put 2 strand twist in my hair and then rod setted them. everyone loved it! and so did i. theres so many styles u can do with your natural hair. checkk out prettydimples01 on youtube, she has inspired me to try more natural styles and not relax as much

4-i have really, really thick hair! when i first started transitioning i used loads and loads of cantu shea butter and leave in conditioners, i also used the pantene line for women of color. my hair really loved and need moisture so thats what i gave it. it was very hard to managae at first, but each time i shampooed, conditioned and blowdryed it got easier and easier. i remember a time when i couldnt even combd my hair while wet, lol. totally a different story now!

sounds like u hava a good regimen! stick to what works for your hair, but dont be afraid to try other products. the forum here, youtube and fotki has taught me so much in only like 2 weeks. stick around and im sure you will learn so much

oh and remember, its not the hair that makes one sexy! its the confidence and pride.
thetiffany
thetiffany

http://embracingmycurly.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 30th June 2010, 11:47 am

Hello, welcome to the transitioning world!

1) Like thetiffany said it's up to you. My ticker, I put it in the approx. date of my last relaxer. In general I would just count months.

2) The relaxer helps to weigh your hair down. The longer your hair is the more it will stretch if it has that stretching ability. If you B/C then your hair will shrink without the added weight. I snipped a piece of my hair in the front that didn't really shrink sooo dunno how to explain that except to say the hair in the front is looser. Another piece that is mainly natural (the one in my avatar) is shorter than the other parts of my hair but not by much. I think it depends on your hair texture as well.

3) No one needs a relaxer, we just want to do it. Then again no one needs to be natural, that is, if you don't mind the effects of the relaxer. Some black women love natural hair, some don't. Some other races love our hair, and some don't. It's just preference. My mother isn't too happy about me doing this, but luckily I have a natural hair stylist. She understands what I goes through, but of course doesn't get in between me and my mother arguing what I should get done to my hair. I gel my hair down because I wear my hair up in a ponytail for work. i haven't seen any adverse side effects but I do try to rinse it out every night... that's just not something I want "cooking" on my hair. Also, try bantu knot-outs and twists out and braid outs, they can easily be put upp into an up-do if you so wish.

4) I don't have your hair texture, so i can't help here.

You do have a good regimen, you know what works for you, you have to experiment with other products to see what will help you with your hair type. Good luck, and hope I helped.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 30th June 2010, 12:07 pm

That was so much to read but we're here to help you newbie.

First thing first, you need to understand that no two heads of hair are alike and this transition entails a lot of trial and error. It helps to read product reviews so that you familiarize yourself with the products that are available for your hair texture. You don't necessarily need to become a product junkie but you will need to see what works for you.

I was a long term transitioner and believe keeping it simple is what's best for our hair textures. You really won't be able to see what your full texture(s) will be until you have no more relaxed ends weighing it down. Be patient and focused on pursuing a transition that incorporates time, simplicity(less manipulation=less breakage) and strengthening your hair. Definitley include moisture in your regimen. That means minimizing your use of direct heat, deep conditioning and cowashing instead of shampooing. Since you removed your braids recently, in addition to the protein treatment you've used, you should also get those ends trimmed.

For style ideas, a great resource would be YT. My favorite is PrettyDimples01. She is very creative with her styles.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Long Transitioners questions! Empty THE TIFFANY

Post by krys419 4th July 2010, 2:22 am

THETIFFANY

Have you noticed any problems with pressing the hair? Does your curl still come back when you wet it? In the 4 years, how long has your hair reached when straight? You have no more relaxer correct?

And yes my roots are so pretty to me. Even the relaxer looks pretty in the middle. Just the relaxed tips/ends are trashy and gross. And yes I have watched prettydimples01 on youtube before. she is awesome. And I will try the cantu shea butter and leave in conditioners! Thanks. but Pantene relzed/natural does nothing for me. I just don't like it. And I know what ou mean. I think I just need to stick to one thing and it will get easier.

thetiffany wrote:oh and remember, its not the hair that makes one sexy! its the confidence and pride.
I will try to remember that!!!

krys419

Back to top Go down

Long Transitioners questions! Empty TREECE & HAMMPTONSFNST

Post by krys419 4th July 2010, 4:57 am

TREECE
Okay I will just count the date, so Nov 28, then Dec 28 etc etc. Ugh yes I see the sides grow less..i cut a little piece to see. What is a bantu knot? Is it one of those circles on top of your head? How long did you transition?

HAMPTONSFNSTCan you tell me your regimine? How long did you transition? I enjoy PrettyDimples vids.

Thanks so much

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 4th July 2010, 2:20 pm

A bantu knot is the little "circle" lol. Razz You can two strand twist, or regular twist, and twist it into the circle, and it makes your hair very curly, but it takes a while to dry if you do it on wet hair. And I've been transitioning for 10 months. I got one relaxer before I came back to school, just to say goodbye, and that was the start of my transition. Funny huh? LOL. I hope you enjoy your experience.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 5th July 2010, 1:51 pm

I have been transitioning since 9/09. I use only Giovanni Products that can be bought at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, CVS, Pharmaca, and health food stores. I use Giovanni SAS Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam and seal with castor oil or EVCO. I use plait braid outs or Curlformers to style.

Always be sure to balance moisture and protein in your products: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Long Transitioners questions! Empty Naturally Esq & Treece

Post by krys419 5th July 2010, 4:55 pm

Naturally Esq
Hi thanks which product would you more recommend as a leave in of the two? I think I have the protein and moisture down. I use a reconstructor (Fantasia IC) which has protein then following that I use my deep conditioner from IC for like 3 hours. I figured out the reconstructor then condition by talking to a stylist who was washing my hair about 3 years ago. My only problem is finding a good leave in so that is why I ask. I currently use the leave ins left over from my mom and sister's perm boxes which I love and some Fantasia IC oil. And you have been transitioning for a long while. How do you deal with it? Have you been trimming a lot? How often? Is it difficult for you to manage? When do you detangle?

Treece
What is a two strand twist or regular twist? What is the difference? I'm assuming a two strand twist is just like a single free-hanging plait/braid except it is a twist. And yes that is funny you did a goodbye relaxer [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] How are you dealing with your relaxed hair? Trimming little by little? When do you detangle?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 5th July 2010, 5:35 pm

If you like a light leave in, then use Giovanni Direct Leave In. If you want a heavier one, then use Giovanni SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion as a leave in.

My hairdresser trims my hair and shapes it every 2-3 months. She is the same hairdresser who relaxed my hair, now she is helping me transition.

I shampoo, apply DC, detangle, sit under heat cap for 20 minutes, rinse, apply conditioner, detangle, rinse, apply/comb thru leave in, styler, sealer, plait braid and air dry overnight.

I have had good moments and bad moments with my transition. Once I found the products that were right for me and a style, my good moments were more than the bad moments. I am treating the whole thing as an adventure to discover my natural hair.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 5th July 2010, 5:48 pm

Thanks! And what hair texture do you have?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 5th July 2010, 6:29 pm

Fine, 4a/b
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 6th July 2010, 1:44 am

Hi Krys, What I meant by regular twisting, was just twisting the hair, not twisting two strands or anything, just twisting all the hair around your finger. I didnt know how else to describe it lol.

I haven't gotten around to trimming it yet, but eventually I will trim the relaxed ends little by little.

And I detangle whenever I wash my hair, a comb does tend to go through my hair after it's washed, but if I didn't, it would be a tangled mess everyday at work.

Smile Hope I helped a bit, sorry for any confusion!
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 6th July 2010, 6:17 am

Hi krys315,

I'm in my 11th month of transition, so although I'm not looking back after years of being natural, I think I can provide some info based on previous experience allowing my hair to go for long stretches (6-12 months between texturizers) as well as my current transition to all natural hair. Beware: Long response! But I hope it's helpful!

1st: I've been using a ticker which counts from date to date, so since my last texturizer was on July 24, my monthly anniversary is always on the 24th. I think that makes it easier than counting by weeks.

2nd: I always was a little scared of the relaxer chemicals I was exposing myself to, so I'd go for 6 month to 12 month stretches between relaxers. Back then I wasn't really paying attention to caring for the new growth - I treated it all the same. And the difference between what my new growth looked like then, and what it looks like now is huge. My new growth used to look so different from the texturized hair, like thick 4a/4b and very frizzy next to my smoother, wavier texturized locks of hair. Because I'm preparing to get rid of the chemically treated hair, I'm paying a lot more attention to caring for my new growth, so it is smoother and blends a bit into the texturized hair. To cut a long story short there are two points I want to make with all this: First, in all my researching I've found that no matter what your natural hair looks like in the transition (whether frizzy or smooth like mine could be at different times), you can't know what your hair will look like fully natural until you cut all the chemically processed hair off. Second, the products you use have a major impact. The ones you are currently using to care for both textures of hair may have completely different effects once your hair is all natural. Since I've had such different "responses" from my hair in the past, once fully natural I expect to have to reacquaint myself with my hair and experiment again with products to achieve the types of curls I want - weighed down and stretched out, or springy and tight. I'll have to wait and see what I get! I've adopted a Buddhist approach: be in the present and work with what you have, and adapt if and when a change comes.

3rd:
Honey, sometimes I think the feedback people give can change with the weather! I've gotten it all - both positives and negatives from family and other black folks, and from other people brazen enough to share their opinion when not asked. When I was fully texturized there were people who loved it as well as people who gave me a "Sistah wants to be white" kind of disapproving look. And now that I'm transitioning, it's the same! There are always going to be fans and haters, so the best thing to do is look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what you like to see. After all, you are the one person who sees yourself the most (other than your partner!).

During my long stretches when my new growth was frizzier, I used to do a lot of updos - high single buns, low double buns, french twists - with wide headbands, scarves and clips to cover or manipulate the new growth.
Now during this transition, with my new growth being smoother from better care (shea butter followed by oil to seal on my edges, aloe on my scalp and all-over for mid-day moisture refresher, better regular moisturizing conditioning, deep conditioning, low manipulation, satin pillow), I do the same updos plus lots of braid variations, with less use of headbands, scarves and clips except during the winter when I need to protect my hair more. There are many threads here and on other sites dedicated to transitioning hairdos. There are some gorgeous and ambitious ladies out there, so you are bound to find something you want to replicate yourself. Try some of them out and see what works for you. I'm a lot less adventurous with hairdos now than I used to be, so I have my two to three very easy (i.e. lazy!) signature styles and don't need anything else.
Here are the Curly Nikki posts on transitioning, with tips, hairdos, etc.: http://www.curlynikki.com/search/label/Transitioning%20Tips%20and%20Resources
Here is a great starter post by MariaG on transitioning, including links to sites for hairdos:
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/06/resource-for-newbies-and-transitioners.html

4th (Most important question):
While my new growth is thick AA coarse hair, my chemically treated hair is probably different from yours. I texturized my hair, which left a lot of wave and curl. If your chemically treated hair is straight, and you want the new growth to straighten and blend in with product alone, then I think that might be a tough battle. You'd have to use a very strong product, especially if your hair is thick. That much said, I've heard a lot of women say the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) adds a lot of weight that straightens their hair (often more than they want), but may be crunchy when a lot is used. The ladies above recommended different twists, which if allowed to dry fully before letting out or if set with strong hold styling product, will help you achieve the blended results. I've done this with braid outs with good results - braids because they seem to be gentler on my hair than twists. I've also read about a lot of gals using different types of rollers or heat (flat iron) to blend the textures together. I've also read about another gal using professional braids and half-wigs to "mask" the difference between the new and old growth.

I think it's important here to be in the now, but to also think about what you ultimately want to achieve. My work doesn't require me to have "average" hair, and my friends "let me be", so I can let my hair be. I'm aiming to have all natural healthy hair one day, and with a long transition ahead of me I need to take super good care of my new growth to ensure I don't end up with a sad mess when I cut the last of the chemically treated hair off. Hence, I'm a "let it be" kind of gal - the less I do to my hair, and the fewer harsh products I put in my hair, the better it will be when I'm fully natural. So no heat, no harsh chemicals and new products every week, no teasing or complicated hair dos, no tiny braids, as well as no trying to have the two textures blend
(even though it is blending a little since there is still curl in my texturized
hair). All this because I'm more concerned about the end result. And by the difference between my new growth now and what it has looked like in the past, I know I'm on the right track. So perhaps, you could think about the now as well as your long-term goal, and try to find a happy medium between the two.

As far as other products go, even if you get recommendations on products, your hair could respond differently (weather, hard water, your diet, heating/air conditioning, etc.). For example, Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration is high on a lot of ladies' lists, but it gives me hairline and back pimples and doesn't moisturize my hair as well as other conditioners I've tried. That much said, I've learned from this forum about some of my favorite natural products and low-tech methods, especially shea butter and various hair dos (I'm trying to lessen my exposure to chemicals I can't easily read (LOL) because I tend to have sensitive skin.) Shea butter is great for smoothing out your edges and the ends of your braids or twists. Aloe vera has also been great for smoothing out my 3rd and 4th day hair. Read the other transition posts (and the comments!) and check out the hair-specific forum threads on naturallycurly.com (there is a 4a thread, a 4b thread, etc.), and try out products that seem to work for people with similar hair to yours. Also, get familiar with the ingredients in the products that really don't work and that really do, and try to stay away from and find other products with similar ingredients. You'll eventually find your favorites.

If you read all this, I really hope it was helpful! Good luck!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 6th July 2010, 12:18 pm

@Krys: I transitioned for 18.5 months and my current regimen is pretty simple.

Cowash:HEHH (great detangler), Suave Naturals, VO5 Moisture Milks
Shampoo:Giovanni TTT shampoo
Deep Conditioning: Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie
Prepoo: EVOO and conditioner
Moisture: S-Curl activator sprays, braid sprays, homemade mix(water, conditioner, oils, vegetable glycerin) Just for Me detangling spray, Curls' Curl Souffle, Giovanni Direct Leave-In conditioner, aloe vera gel
Sealants: unrefined shea butter, jojoba oil, castor oil
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Long Transitioners questions! Empty Treece & Hmptnsfnst

Post by krys419 6th July 2010, 7:35 pm

HAMPTONSFNST Thanks a lot. I will even give that Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Smoothie a try. Sounds like it smells great. How does the Shea butter work on your hair?

Treece thanks for clearing that up! I get it now. You say you haven't trimed yet. Have you experienced breakage at all?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Long Transitioners questions! Empty GadoGadoGal

Post by krys419 6th July 2010, 7:56 pm

Ahh the texturizer looks very nice on your hair I must say. And Yeah I did one 9month stretch and a 5 months stretch but it was all under a weave or in braids.
And thanks so much for all your info. I did read it all.

yes I've decided to use the 28th for every new month, from my last perm on Nov 28.
I will keep in mmind that the products I'm using now may have completely different effects once my hair is all natural. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Also I am taking notes on "be in the present and work with what you have, and adapt if and when a change comes."

I have a question about texturizers. What exactly does it do? Is it that sort of hair I get when I don't leave my relaxer on long enough? And I will remember that it is all about me and not what anyone else thinks.

You mentioned a low double bun. What is that? And what are french twists? I suppose I can look up french twists. I have thought of wide headbands, scarves and clips but I figure what's the point of having my new hair if I'm going to cover it and try to make it straight/hidden? But i guess sometimes the headband is the only way.

How does the shea butter react in your hair? Is it like coconut oil or more the texture of a cream/pomade vs an oil. Also, do you use fresh aloe or a certain product? I use fantasia IC serums and they are made from aloe. I love them. I agree about low manipulation. That is what keeps the stresses off hair. Do satin pillows get dirty fast. Meaning do they end up with oil stains?

Those styles were helpful!

Yes I realize my new growth will not blend, especially in the heat. I got my hair washed, conditioned, blow dried and straightened untill it was straight, blended, and flowing. After 3 hours the roots had all poofed up in the heat so I had to gel the front up and back. Not very happy. I have always wanted to try the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) but I hear it leaves build up. Also, I don't like the "twist/braid out" styles. i love straight looks or natural curls...which I guess the straight look is out of the question and natural curls will be when i cut off the relaxer

Yes. I think for the now and near future I may just end up in weaves with a little out in the front for blending or do some box braids. What i'm aiming for is no breakage and lots of length once I cut it off. Or who knows maybe I won't end up cutting it off. Maybe I will relax again once I have a year or 2 worth of new growth. I doubt it but who knows.

I will definitely check out the 4a/b threads but I honestly don't know what hair I have. I need a thread for THICK hair.

And thanks SOOOO much for your help. This helped a great deal. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Krys

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 6th July 2010, 8:22 pm

Krys: Absolutely, but more shedding than breakage, it's slowed down a lot, and I don't find as much hair as I used to. I think my hair may have changed when I stopped birth control and that's why I saw so much hair, but I'm not positive. Smile I love all the questions you're asking. Get educated girl! Lol. Knowledge is the only thing no one can take from you. Razz Old line I know, but stays true.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 6th July 2010, 8:28 pm

Treece thanks girl! One more question. WHat product have you found to be the most moisturizing for your hair and what product has smoothed your hair best (like if you want to put it in a ponytail)?

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 6th July 2010, 9:39 pm

The most moisturizing...hmmm I haven't tried many moisturizers... Hair Mayo by ORS was my "moisturizer" for awhile before I joined a forum and got tips. Even during my second transition I barely knew what to do with my hair lol. Hawaiian Silky is the only true moisturizing product I've used, so I don't have much to compare it to. But obviously I love it since I just bought my second bottle lol. I would love to try some new ones, but I haven't gotten around to shopping.

To put my hair in a ponytail I've used: Softee Curl Activator, Smooth n Shine Gel with Aloe, and Murray's Hair Dressing Pomade. Softee, being a curl activator worked quite well, LOL. but it never dried, Smooth n Shine does it's job. After it's dried it's not easy to put hair back in place unless you apply more (but I don't carry this stuff with me). It does not flake and it is not very hard after it dries. Murrays is the one I'm currently using and I love it. It's wax consistency though, hard to apply and hard to wash off, but to me it's worth it. I can restyle my hair if it frizzes up with ease, and gives the best hold I've experienced without that hardness. The 3 ingredients are: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, and Fragrance. And you may or may not like those ingredients, but I like them better than DMDM Hydantoin that's in Smooth n Shine (amongst the others), and from what I've read it's not a good ingredient, but then again, what is in these products anyways? lol. I would just rather deal with 3 ingredients that does it's job, what it says it will do, without giving me these extra ingredients. HTH Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 7th July 2010, 12:59 am

Krys,

Thanks for the compliment. I love my hair, but I'm really looking forward to having all my natural kinks and curls back. I love them already!

You've got it. A texturizer is basically a relaxer, but with the cream left in a shorter period of time, and in my case, not combed through (just applied with gloved hands and smoothed in). I think my stylist started texturizing because it would take FOREVER and a teamload of he-men to straighten my hair and it would often start waving and curling up within a couple of days, and she saw that I preferred wash and go (i.e. lazy) styles.

Haha! "Low double buns" just means twisting two buns at the nape of your neck instead of two buns at the crown. I laugh because I remember that one of my enthusiastically supportive co-workers used to name and announce my hairdos at work. "Today she's wearing double buns down, folks." Very Happy

French twist is another lazy style. I'd do variations of it, especially as my hair got longer and I didn't want to use a bunch of pins and clips that might damage my hair. Like big messy buns, it's versatile, and works really well when you don't want to be precise. Here are some photos of variations with microbraids, flowers, etc.:
http://photos.essence.com/system/images/gallery/000/034/532/full/buns-french-twist_src.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/78/211586693_34872961f3.jpg
http://www.hairzing.com/press/French-Twist.jpg
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/easywear/MiniMicrobraidsFrenchTwistS.jpg

Shea butter is like an oil or a creamy pomade depending on how much I use (the more, the creamier). To me, the shine it gives looks more like real healthy hair shine, not fake shine. I use it to smooth out my edges, roots at the part line, and ends of my braids and twists, as well as to seal all over especially during winter. I do have to watch for build-up, but only every few of weeks. I recommend everyone try a little at first, and if it's too much, try it again in winter.

I use store-bought aloe gel (either Thursday Plantation (pure aloe) or Plunkett's (an aloe mix with grapefruit seed extract)). Because I get rashes/allergic reactions to synthetic chemicals, I have to stick to products with only a few ingredients, or all ingredients I can easily read Very Happy And I use so much that I'd need to buy a new plant every other week to have enough of a supply! I just read in another thread about a shea butter/aloe hair mousse recipe - can't wait to try that one out (http://www.diaryofahairobsession.com/?p=775).

My satin pillowcase does not get greasy (unlike my bald boyfriend's pillow!!). I am usually pretty light-handed with my sealers, and in cold and dry weather currently only use avocado oil and shea butter for sealing (although I'm going to try castor and jojoba oils when I get back home and into warmer weather). I have three satin pillowcases so I can switch them out as frequently as I need so I don't have to wash the case right away or go a night without it.

Maybe you could try to look at twist or braid outs as a good way to help you mentally transition to not having straight hair. What I love is that they're easy to create, easy to sleep in, easy to take out, and create really smooth waves and curls. Of course it won't look the way your natural will look, but it could get you used to the volume which many straight-haired women pay tons of money to achieve Smile And curls make some hair styles look so much better, like the french twist, which can appear boring and prude when too tight or smooth.

Cheers, lady!
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 9th July 2010, 9:57 pm

TreeceHawaiian Silky I have heard a lot of greatthings about it so I will take a look at that soon. Hope it's not too expensive!

I ave an aloe gel and pomade from IC Fantasia that i will give a try.. And yeah i heard wax is teh best stuff for hair. And no I don't mind any ingredients. peopel say certain ingredients are bad for your hair like cones, btu I personally love cones. They work great with my hair. It is really good for peole with thick hair like myself. I heard that jheri curl stuff works good for moisture..lol

Gadoooo
You are lucky you only have a texturizer. that means yoru hair is not that unhealthy...lol vs the gfully relaxed gals. The low buns and french twists are super nice and SIMPLE! As for the shea butter. i'm going to buy a tub. Thansk for that summer vs winter tip! Also I have tried braid and twist outs before. To me it looks bad because my roots still look poofy while my relaxed hair looks fierce. Maybe I should get my roots as flat as I can before I twist/braid? Here's teh sheabutter mix I'm trying. i'm going to add aloe in it like yours though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MX9VREndQI&playnext_from=TL&videos=wS9iScXXiJM

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 9th July 2010, 11:28 pm

It's not that expensive. I got the bottle for about $5, and it lasts me maybe 2 months or so, it depends how often and how much you use. And yeah I agree, I care about ingredients to the extent of my health, but otherwise, if I'm not in a hospital because of a product and my hair loves it, then so be it, because that's all I can handle atm. Razz

I haven't tried the jheri curl stuff before, but I bet it is a good moisturizer lol! ^-^
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 14th July 2010, 5:27 pm

tREECE okay girl. i will try the Hawaiian Silky. Cant wait

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down