CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners

+15
~*Kiana*~
NiqueAmo
komirra
NubbieNaturalNik
Charbella
Janique
LexiDoll
coilykinks
suqiit
TamikaG
nikkinixnicole
Intelligentbeauty
herlucidsKy
bevyboo628
*CurlyNikki*
19 posters

Go down

Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners Empty Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 11:40 am

Many of the hairstyles that naturals swear by, double as excellent transitioning 'dos! If you're in the process of transitioning, and you'd like to hang on to those ends for a little bit longer, try out some of these styles (click on each for instructions):

• High Bun- The same basic steps found in THIS VIDEO, but done on dry, previously twisted hair.

Long Hair Styles Gallery - Can be used for protective styles
Natural Hair Styles - twist outs, bantu knots, braid outs, etc...

Please add to this list ladies!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners Empty Re: Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners

Post by bevyboo628 25th October 2009, 12:52 pm

I started doing a TnC & a Bantu Knot Out once in awhile after being on your site. I like to do a braid out too. Its weird that the results come out better when I don't fully let it dry out. Since my relaxed hair is still kind of curly the difference in textures isn't that obvious to everyone which is good cuz then I can wear my hair out after a wash and go once in awhile. This may be a silly question and I'm not sure if it fits better in a different post but what exactly does it mean to seal your ends and how is it done?
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners Empty Re: Bevyboo628. What is sealing your ends?

Post by herlucidsKy 25th October 2009, 1:41 pm

bevyboo628 wrote:I started doing a TnC & a Bantu Knot Out once in awhile after being on your site. I like to do a braid out too. Its weird that the results come out better when I don't fully let it dry out. Since my relaxed hair is still kind of curly the difference in textures isn't that obvious to everyone which is good cuz then I can wear my hair out after a wash and go once in awhile. This may be a silly question and I'm not sure if it fits better in a different post but what exactly does it mean to seal your ends and how is it done?

Hey bevyboo,
to seal your ends means to lock in that moisture from your
leave-ins/moisturizers. You can use oils, heavy based butters or
pomades but it seems like a lot of people prefer to use oils. Shea
butter and olive oil seems to be most common. Some people use
oil/butters/pomades right after they wash their hair to lock in the
moisture from the water. Others do this after putting in their
leave-ins or moisturizers. All you do is place the oil on your ends,
you can even do it to your entire hair. Not only does it lock/seal in
moisture but it can also help in preventing split, frizzy, dry/brittle
ends.
Hope this helps
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners Empty Re: Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners

Post by Intelligentbeauty 11th January 2010, 6:46 am

ALSO THIS LINK IS ON CN AND FEATURES MARIA, WHO WAS A 10 MONTH TRANSITIONER. THIS IS A FABULOUS LINK FOR NEWBIE TRANSITIONERS

http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/06/resource-for-newbies-and-transitioners.html
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkinixnicole 7th February 2010, 3:11 pm

I say experiment with everything!! I was a long term transitioner and that's exactly what I did.

I wore:

- weaves
- extension braids
- extension twists
- buns
- ponytails
- cornrows
- extension cornrows
- curly fros
- twist-outs
- braid-outs
nikkinixnicole
nikkinixnicole

Back to top Go down

Post by TamikaG 19th March 2010, 10:08 am

great info! Thanks ladies!!
TamikaG
TamikaG

Back to top Go down

Post by suqiit 21st March 2010, 10:24 am

My saving grace has been the kimmay method! I'm almost 9 months into my transition and plan to BC on NYE, 1 day shy of hitting 19 months. Currently my hair is shoulder length, and I mini chop ever few months to keep it at that length while I transition. I have 4 inches of natural hair and in some places up to 5 inches of relaxed hair. This style has been the best of me for blending the 2 textures.

Here is a link to the kimmay method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuhamqzKbNI

eta: my avatar is a pic from the 2nd or 3rd month of transition
suqiit
suqiit

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 26th March 2010, 7:19 pm

how much new growth must I have before I can try some of the styles mentioned?
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by LexiDoll 19th April 2010, 12:49 pm

I am a 17 year old art school student as well as transitioner since the month of October 2009. My parents are pressuring me to get a perm, because they hate the fact that I have been cutting off all of my long hair. In fact, I have just recently cut off half of my relaxed hair, but I was wondering if sew-ins were good to put in your hair while transitioning? I am new to this so any information would be helpful! Thanks Bunches!! BTW, Nikki, this website is amazing.

LexiDoll

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th April 2010, 8:08 pm

I used sew-ins and kinky twists during my transition. The key is to keep your real hair clean and moisturized while you have it in. Also, make sure the braids aren't too tight.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by LexiDoll 24th April 2010, 10:18 pm

So in order to keep my real hair clean, i would just have to keep my scalp mosturized and washed on like a weekly basis, without taking the extensions out? And how long would you suggest keeping these sew ins in? Thank you so much for replying to my post so far, I appreciate it very much.

LexiDoll

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 24th April 2010, 10:29 pm

Exactly. I wouldn't keep the sew-ins for longer than two much. For me, it's usually only 1 month I would keep them in because I have a scalp condition that causes major flaking. I used this site in the beginning of my transition to help me through the hard beginning stages http://www.growafrohairlong.com/
And with the whole parents pressuring thing, I went through it too. It took a while, but my mom finally accepted it. My dad still makes fun of me, but I don't care! I started transitioning when I was 18 because I was able to afford taking care of my own hair. I definitely don't regret it. I haven't done my BC yet. It's been 20 months since I've had a relaxer.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Style Ideas for Long Term Transitioners Empty Re:Style ideas for long term transitioners

Post by Charbella 6th May 2010, 9:04 pm

I have been transitioning for almost 17 months and I mainly wear my hair in braidouts. I have tried the bantu knots but they didn't look right. I guess I need to keep practicing. I need to try some new styles. I'm going to a baby shower on Saturday so I'm trying to experiment with different styles. I plan on transitioning for another year.

Charbella

Back to top Go down

Post by NubbieNaturalNik 13th May 2010, 12:42 pm

I have been transitioning for 8 mths. I have tried a twist out several times and do not get the awesome results I have seen on CN wonderful blog! I do Bandu Knot outs with much success...am I doing something wrong? Is this not an good transitional style option? I am also new to the forum. Thank you in advance for your help ladies!
NubbieNaturalNik
NubbieNaturalNik

Back to top Go down

Post by komirra 21st May 2010, 11:57 am

I find that as my natural hair grows longer different styles become more appropriate. for the first 5 months a did t-n-c or braid outs once or twice a week. once my hair hit the 5 month mark my natural didnt respond as well to these styles and they didnt hold as well. so i have been doing flexi rod sets for the past 2 months and I find that works MUCH better. the style holds longer, about a week and 1/2, and I think it looks cuter Wink

I also find that the updos I do look better with the defined flexi rod curls.
komirra
komirra

Back to top Go down

Post by komirra 21st May 2010, 12:00 pm

NubbieNaturalNik wrote:I have been transitioning for 8 mths. I have tried a twist out several times and do not get the awesome results I have seen on CN wonderful blog! I do Bandu Knot outs with much success...am I doing something wrong? Is this not an good transitional style option? I am also new to the forum. Thank you in advance for your help ladies!

my natural is 7 months and I find t-n-c dont look as good either. they used to when I was 2-4 months though
komirra
komirra

Back to top Go down

Post by NubbieNaturalNik 21st May 2010, 12:03 pm

Thanks Komirra! I thought is was just me. Have you used the Bandu knot out technique? It works for me but I worry about the Bobby pins damaging my hair.
NubbieNaturalNik
NubbieNaturalNik

Back to top Go down

Post by NiqueAmo 7th September 2010, 1:26 am

I love this site thanks for all the info and links
NiqueAmo
NiqueAmo

http://naturalnique.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 3rd November 2010, 5:43 pm

Loving this place. I'm def. gonna try a few of these styles soon!
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 11th December 2010, 1:32 pm

now at my 12th month.....cheat sets are my best friend lol!

i seriously couldn't make it without them lol
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 23rd December 2010, 5:25 pm

dyamonds10 wrote:now at my 12th month.....cheat sets are my best friend lol!

i seriously couldn't make it without them lol
Love your hair in this pic dyamonds! Smile
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by 1krzypraz 21st January 2011, 3:29 pm

I just joined today and I am loving the information I am seeing.
1krzypraz
1krzypraz

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 29th January 2011, 9:43 pm

My first 18 months, I flatironed my hair. After that, I wore a modified wash and go, using straws to curl my relaxed ends. I started cutting my relaxed ends curl by curl whenever a straight end was out of place. 2 years after relaxer, I wore a twist out in a low curly ponytail. ..
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down