CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Products for transitioners

+2
Ambitious_Tiff
naturalrhi
6 posters

Go down

Products for transitioners Empty Products for transitioners

Post by naturalrhi 31st January 2011, 6:08 pm

Looking for a good regimen for transitioning hair. Whatever the very end of the hair spectrum is, that's me - 4C? I've heard mixed reviews about Carol's Daughter products. I've heard some good things about Mixed Chicks but like i said, I'm at the very end of the spectrum so I don't know if that would work for me. Has anyone tried Wen or Hair One? Should I just whip something up in the kitchen? I don't want to do weaves so anything that can make my hair easier to deal with is appreciated. Looking for a sulfate free shampoo, conditioner, and any creams, oils, or serums that would help keep my hair soft and reduce damage.

transitioning since October 2010

naturalrhi

Back to top Go down

Products for transitioners Empty Re: Products for transitioners

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 1st February 2011, 5:31 pm

Hey! looks liked we started transitioning at the same time! I don't know my hair type but I do know its very, very kinky. I am more than happy to share with you a list of things I use. I don't use them all at once but I keep these items in stock so to speak.

Things I use regularly:
Water (Moisturizer)
Castor Oil (Scalp)
Aphogee Pro Vitamin Leave in (Water based moisturizer)
Coconut Oil (Sealant, DC)
Evoo (Prepoo and DC)
Garnier Fructis Conditioner (Cowash)
Cantu Leave In Moisturizer (Sealant)
LottaBody Olive Oil Setting Lotion (Styling Aide)
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pak (DC)
Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner (Cowash)
Honey (DC)

Things I just started using:
*Coconut Milk and Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bars from Chagrin Valley (Shampoo)
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Moisturizing Mist
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (Styling Aide)
Shea Moisture Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque (Styling Aide)

Things I use only every few weeks or so:
Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment (Protein Treatment)
Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor (Protein Treatment)
Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (Heat Protectant)
Ampro Protein Gel (Style Aide)

*I do not shampoo my hair on a regular basis. Only every 6 weeks or so.

Now, just looking at this list, I am sure you think I am a mess. I have so much stuff (I have more stuff than is listed but can't quite remember it all.) b/c I am still going thru kind of a trial and error. If I could only recommend 5 things I was say go with a water based moisturizer that you can spritz, a conditioner for cowashing, coconut oil for too many reasons to name, castor oil, the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Well, maybe 6... Patience. Wink
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalrhi 1st February 2011, 6:10 pm

Thanks so much! It really helps to get advice from someone going through the same thing. Can't wait to go shopping!

naturalrhi

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 2nd February 2011, 3:28 pm

I've tried Hair 1 in the past. It worked pretty good.
Conditioners: V05: rinse out/detangle, Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol: deep condition
Oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Leave in Conditioner: Jane Carter's Revitalizing leave in
Gels: Aloe Vera: slicking down edges Ecostyler: Rodsets/Twists
Moisturizers: water, braid spray

Hope this helps
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd February 2011, 8:31 pm

@Naturalrhi
LOL, girl I hope you don't go and buy all that stuff! I'm really glad to help. Hopefully you will find some staple products in there. In addition to CN, I think you will really be able to get a lot of info from http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/ . This site has helped me understand a lot of things from a more scientific basis.

@NaturallyU
What is Hair 1? What type of braid sprays are you using?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 2nd February 2011, 8:41 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:@Naturalrhi
LOL, girl I hope you don't go and buy all that stuff! I'm really glad to help. Hopefully you will find some staple products in there. In addition to CN, I think you will really be able to get a lot of info from http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/ . This site has helped me understand a lot of things from a more scientific basis.

@NaturallyU
What is Hair 1? What type of braid sprays are you using?

Hair 1 is a cleansing conditioner from Sally's that is a knock off version of Wen. I think it costs around 10.00 a bottle. It is supposed to cleanse the hair without stripping the hair of moisture. I used the olive oil kind on my hair in the past with pretty good results. The only reason why I don't continue to use the product is because I have been sticking to cleansing with a clarifying shampoo and doing a prepoo beforehand. The braid spray I use is African Pride. HTH. Very Happy
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 3rd February 2011, 5:44 pm

Hey, I'm on a Darcy's obsession today for some reason!

I've heard excellent things about the transitioning creme here, but I've got a load of QB products and I'm trying reeeeally hard not to develop a junkism.
However once I finish my current shampoos, I will be buying the cleansing conditioner for co-washes this as it sounds great.

Many of her products seem to get really good reviews (including on other shopping sites). If I wasn't so satisfied with QB products I'd buy a load of Darcy's and Shea Moisture products as they sound like my hair would love them.

Also, I should point out that I'm transitioning in braids (with my own hair) so I don't really need many stylers or gels and I only detangle and 'poo about once a month. My roots seem 4b (4c if you use that) and love the heavy QB products, but my relaxed ends (I say 'ends' but it's still about 75% of my hair!) like to get weighed down quickly so I'm learning not to be too heavy handed. BRBC is perfect for dry hair as it's water based, and the OHHB under the AOHC is beautiful on damp, cowashed hair. I've also learnt that my relaxed hair loses less when I dry detangle it, but my natural hair prefers wet detangling - pain in the butt!

I don't really have a regimen yet, still learning. I'd say read a LOT of reviews and put the info together. If you hear a lot of cons - 'it's too heavy for my fine hair' and pros - 'my coarse hair soaks it up' but you know your hair is thick, consider that product. If you see pro - 'it has a lovely flowery smell' with cons - 'the smell sticks around all day' and you know your nose is delicate, cross that off the list. If a con is - 'it moisturises but doesn't define my curls' and you know you don't really have definable curls, accept the moisturising element and take a look at ingredients. If you have some shea butter around and have tried it in your hair with disastrous results, don't go for products laced with shea. Same with coconut oil. If a product is said to 'smooth down my edges well but doesn't have much hold' and you know you'll be transitioning in a half wig, do you really care about hold?

It's a loooong process I think, so good luck! Very Happy (sorry for long post)

Last edited by Jo Somebody on 3rd February 2011, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrote some nonsense)
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalDOctor2Be 7th March 2011, 12:22 pm

I'm using sheamoisture products on my hair and I used vitamin E to oil my scalp. I also just purchased Knot Today by Kinky Curly for a detangler. I was getting my hair flat-ironed every 2 weeks, but I'm going to stop doing that. I have worn a twist-out and I love my curly fro. I usually wear half-wigs when I don't have time to do my hair.
NaturalDOctor2Be
NaturalDOctor2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by swt_sunny 7th March 2011, 2:45 pm

This is a helpful thread so far ladies Very Happy ! I have been transitioning since Dec 09, so I'm almost at 15 months now. Even all this time later it is still a trial & error process for me. When I started I was blow drying/flat ironing as usual, then for about 5 months I was able to wear a wash & go puff (my hair was greatly underproccessed so I was able to do a curly fro look) then I did twist/braid & curls & finally for the past month I've been lazy and started bunning.

Shampoo: I've really only used Giovanni Smooth As Silk. I think its a bit too drying for me, but I want to use it up. On occassion I'll use a sulfate shampoo -- ORS Replinishing Shampoo.

Conditioner:
(Deep Condition)Aubrey White Camilia. Just tried the Honeysuckle Rose & I like it better.
Aussie Moist
Vo5 (stopped using, but at the start of my transition my hair seemed to like it)
Tresseme Naturals

Gels/Stylers:
Eco Styler Olive Oil
Aloe Vera
Bee Mine Curly Butter
Oyin Whipped Pudding - just started using, jury is still out

Leave In:
Giovanni Direct Leave In

Oils:
Olive Oil
Grapeseed Oil (great lighter oil)
Castor Oil (still figuring if I like this)

Moisturizer:
Bee Mine Balanced Moisturizer
Want to try Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie, anyone else have any suggestions?

Smile

swt_sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down