CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what kind of products would be good for my kind of hair?

5 posters

Go down

what kind of products would be good for my kind of hair? Empty what kind of products would be good for my kind of hair?

Post by vivaxbruja 9th June 2010, 9:54 pm

Hello CN followers,

I just saw this site today and fell in love with it. So much props to Nikki for making it happen!

So here is the deal:

I have always been natural. Well almost. My mom relaxed my hair at age 6 for reasons I don't know and that was the last time. I don't know how to describe my hair. It's like curly thick but not too thick. I'll post pics to show you all. Point is I want to start taking care of my hair. I am Dominican so I really only trust Dominican women when it comes to styling/treating my hair. However, I am away at school where there is absolutely no Dominican women or Dominican hair salons (Claremont, CA). However, next semester I will be at Spelman in Atlanta, GA so I look forward to finding out about new products, etc. When it comes down to it, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MY HAIR NEEDS! But I do know what I WANT it to do: that is grow MAD-SUPER-CRAZY LONG! What do you hair-goddess recommend me to use? Right now my ends need the most help. Also the middle of my hair does grow as fast or the same pace as my sides. How can I improve that? Some of my concerns/needs:

1. Products to keep my hair mosturized
2. Products to seal my ends
3. Product to detangle my hair

and thats all I can think of. Sorry if it seems all over the place!

Thanks

Here are some pictures of my hair:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

last one: my hair straightened

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

vivaxbruja

Back to top Go down

what kind of products would be good for my kind of hair? Empty Re: what kind of products would be good for my kind of hair?

Post by MEGAFAITH 10th June 2010, 1:42 am

hello hydration is a great conditoner it moistures very well evoo is good to seal your hair
MEGAFAITH
MEGAFAITH

Back to top Go down

what kind of products would be good for my kind of hair? Empty Re: what kind of products would be good for my kind of hair?

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th June 2010, 9:55 am

Your hair looks healthy.

I love your country. I visited in March 2009 for my honeymoon (Puerto Plata). I will revisit.

In order to try to help, what do your hair strands (majority) feel like? Are they thin (barely there), coarse (think thicker than frayed thread) or normal (between thin and coarse)?

What products have you used to give you moisture?

What do you typically seal with?

To grow longer hair, it's all about retention. Moisture and sealing your ends will help you retain the length you gain.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 10th June 2010, 10:30 am

Honestly, just because they're Dominican like you doesn't mean they really know how to take care of your hair. In my opinion, the majority of black salons don't know anything about proper hair care, so I wouldn't trust them for anything more than a cut/trim--at most. You're much better off learning how to take care of your hair yourself. You have to go through trial and error to find what works for your--there will never be a miracle product that someone gives you and it will magically be awesome for your hair. However, from my experience, some products I suggest would be Alba Botanica Leave-In (you can get it at Whole Foods or a health food store), extra virgin coconut oil (Whole Foods/health food store), extra virgin olive oil (grocery), Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner (Trader Joe's), Garneir Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner (drugstore), castor oil (Whole Foods/health food store/Vitamin Shoppe), Jamaican black castor oil (sams247.com/eBay.com), and unrefined shea butter.

Back to top Go down

Post by vivaxbruja 10th June 2010, 2:39 pm

@MEGAFAITH, thanks i will check it out!

@ ChrsLvsBks, thanks! i love my country too! i just got back a month ago from living there for about 5 months and im only now starting to get over it! Next time you go, try to visit Jarabacoa and Constanza. Also Bani is a great place to visit, close to the capital.
But back to my hair: my hair strands are normal. I've used the Olive Oil cream to moisturize and i dont think i've ever sealed my ends. Perhaps that is why they always look nasty! I just cut my hair last week and dyed it black so I can start over.

@SummerRuby, you're absolutely right about most-of color salons- they don't know jack! But I've been lucky enough to have great hair stylist that treat my hair. My mom and I also travel frequently to the DR and get many products from there but I want to try something different. Thank you for the list you provide, very well research/in depth!

vivaxbruja

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 10th June 2010, 3:18 pm

Your hair is gorgeous. I personally use primarily organic products, and I make my own products as well (sprays and butters). As far as conditioners go, I can suggest Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (it's cheap, but makes a GREAT detangler), Giovanni Direct Smooth As Silk, and Yes To Cucumbers Conditioner (also a great detangler). For a leave-in conditioner, I use Kinky Curly Knot Today. I use raw black soap as a "shampoo bar" to wash my hair. I use a mix of conditioner, water, and essential oils as a leave-in spray, and a mix of shea butter, mango butter and aloe vera gel to seal in moisture. I don't really use gel, but if I want hold I'll use either Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Afroveda PUR Whipped Gelly.

We all have blogs and personal threads on here, so definitely check them out. You just might find something you'll like. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down