CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hairyuveda Challenge

+50
Ladybird
K.DES
slimwithabs
ginabina
ajsimmons8
dajewel
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
noski
misskris
Sebastain13
SheeTacular
bajangyrl
Choctaw
jamaicacurl
swoodward
CrissyQ
Alanija
tshala
libs2001
Karyn
Curlock Holmes
s4pphir3
Natural-In_Me
jasikazenith
KeAnia
naturalnat
Steveburner
Keesh
DMCC
Kurly4theKid
Carolina Natural
Ms Hood
adamseve
letha
CurlyCaramelCutie
envizionj
Brainiac
AfrikanLatina
freckledmom4
curlydpm
krazy coils
newday
TerraD
carfi366
ChrsLvsBks
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
gennatay
Juices-n-Berries
ButterQueen
54 posters

Page 3 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

Hairyuveda Challenge - Page 3 Empty Re: Hairyuveda Challenge

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th June 2010, 5:28 pm

I'm going to do a henna gloss tonight. I plan to add amla and neem to it. I have noticed build-up/dandruff lately [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I will do an oil rinse with Vatika oil and Navaranti (sp?) oil.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 7th June 2010, 6:23 pm

I actually did a pre-poo with the Navratna Oil and Juice-N-Berries I did note a definite tingle there so I fllowed it up with 'grow my hair butter' to keep my head feeling cool, lol and then I just bunned it b/c I was feeling super lazy.....SOOOO I am going to make my henna tonight (I was supposed to do this last week and didn't get a chance to do it) and I'll apply either tonight or tomorrow depending on whether or not I get dye release (it's pretty warm so I may use Jamila since it has a tendency to release quicker). We're going camping next weekend so I plan to do some small box braids to keep my bush out of the way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gennatay 7th June 2010, 9:05 pm

TerraD wrote:Thanks to gennatay (sending her a big cyber hug [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) I have shikaki soap, amla oil, vatika oil, amla powder and shikaki oil on the way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I can't wait until it comes! Yay, I'm still in the challenge!

Your welcome!
gennatay
gennatay

http://lifeamateur.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 8th June 2010, 7:00 am

@ChrsLvsBks is an oil rinse done the same way as a pre-poo? I've been experincing an itchy scalp, no dandruff, just an itchy scalp and was thinking maybe the oil rinse might help. I think the itchy scalp could be because my scalp is dry.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th June 2010, 10:27 am

Ladies, I did a henna gloss last night. I added shikakai (25g), neem (25g), amla (50g) to my henna. I added about a cup of Vitamin Shoppe Herbal Daily conditioner and a tablespoon each of EVOO and sesame oil. After rinsing it out, I co-washed with Pantene Relaxed and Natural. Navratna oil was applied to my scalp and hair. I did not experience any tingle. Unfortunately, I did not add Vatika oil--forgot to set it in hot water.

carfi366 wrote:@ChrsLvsBks is an oil rinse done the same way as a pre-poo? I've been experincing an itchy scalp, no dandruff, just an itchy scalp and was thinking maybe the oil rinse might help. I think the itchy scalp could be because my scalp is dry.
Yes, with the exception that many of us do it after cleansing. So, we cleanse, then apply oil. Leave it on for a few minutes then add conditioner. We rinse the oil with the conditioner.

I think an oil rinse may help as long as you place oils into scalp.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 8th June 2010, 7:13 pm

BQ- Does your Grow My Hair Butter tingle also?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 9th June 2010, 6:48 pm

Thanks ChsLvBks planning on trying the oil rinse tonight. I wanted to wait until I receive my ayurvedic products but this itching is too annoying now. I have some neem and jojoba at home. I'll try that. Thanks!
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 9th June 2010, 7:12 pm

Hi All!!
Juice-N-Berries "grow my Hair" butter definitely delivers a 'peppermint
patty' feeling, lol.
Carfi your box may be there tomorrow (no later than friday) so help is
on the way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Chrs you are so on top of your treatments, I totally envy that and aall
your hard work definitely pays off [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
It gets difficult for me to find time to squeeze some of the things I
want to do with my hair in most of the time (not to mention my own 3
girls and their very diverse heads of hair)
But I guess it wouldn't be a challenge if we didn't challenge ourselves
to do more ;-)
I'm thinking of starting a co-wash twice a week adding jaswand and
maka(bhringraj) and perhaps some amla powders to the shea n honey
conditioner.
Hoping to step up the henna treats to once a week (just torn between the
burgundy and the cocoa brown [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Thanks so much Ladies,
Sharika
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 9th June 2010, 8:32 pm

Hi BQ-
I am so excited to hear I am a few days closer to my first henna experince. YIPPEE!!! I can hardly stand the wait. Now I'm stalking the mailbox for my products and my Ebony subscription with Prince on the cover.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 9th June 2010, 9:45 pm

I received my purchase today! Tomorrow I plan on prepooing for about 6-8hrs with the shikakai oil because it has a really strong scent. I will then use my shikakai poo bar (hehe, poo, childish!), condition with a mix of condish and amla powder and follow with a DC of vatika or amla oil mixed with my DT. How does this sound, you guys know I'm still a rookie! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 9th June 2010, 10:04 pm

Hi Terra,
remember the amla is a deep conditioning treatment in and of itself so maybe you should save the vatika/amla mixture for another day or maybe just moisturise with one of the oils (use it as a sealant, I suppose that would really depend on how your hair reacts to the oils...I have to have shea butter, lol, but many many people just use the oils ;-)
Sounds like your off to a great start though...welcome Aboard!
CHRS! Tell me about your steamer, I'm itching to get one and would love to know how you incorporate. Have you ever steamed while hennaing? or do you only use it for other times???
I'm not a product junkie, but I absolutely love new toys [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 9th June 2010, 10:13 pm

Thanks BQ, I will do just that! I guess I shouldn't cram all the goodies into one day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by gennatay 9th June 2010, 11:36 pm

Anybody use the alma powder etc for skincare?
gennatay
gennatay

http://lifeamateur.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 11th June 2010, 12:38 am

@ gennatay- not yet but I was thinking of trying it. I've been so focused on my hair that I've neglected my skin. Sitting out in the sun all day at my kids sporting events hasn't been the best thing for my skin either.

I just mixed some new henna with my frozen henna. I added about a tbs of amla, a sprinkle of cinnamon, honey and evoo & I'm off to bed with my heavy head of mud [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I'm officially out of henna now and only have about 3 tbs of amla left until my order from B-n-B comes.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 11th June 2010, 3:29 am

heeeeey, im suppose to be watchin this topic...so why have i NOT been gettin my updates [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !!

well, im pre-pooin tomorrow w/shikakai and amla. i just HAD to mix it with something plus some eo's cuz the shikakai soy sauce smell makes me wanna barf!! im itchin to use the shikak poo bar but ive never used a bar before [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thanx BQ; i will definitely be takin advantage of the 15% off sale u have on the a'veda oils, powders n etc [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th June 2010, 4:03 am

I'm doing a brahmi treatment tomorrow. Yay!
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 11th June 2010, 5:30 am

Today, I prepoo'd with the shikakai oil. It does smell, but it worked. My hair was uber soft while shampooing. I used the shikakai/amla poo bar and it was the bomb! I put my hair in about 10 braids and wet the hair, rubbed the bar on the exposed scalp between braids and it got nice and sudsy. It smells much better than the shikakai oil, Thank God!
I applied the amla oil as a leave-in condish and sealed with vatika oil! Yay! My hair loved everything! It's softer than it's ever been in life!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th June 2010, 7:58 pm

Sooo... since my BnB order came in today (Thanks Sharika) I decided to do henna instead. I got the cocoa mix. I used henna, cocoa, and chamomile tea. I have no idea the amounts. Lol. I don't think I needed the chamomile tea as the cocoa is already acidic, but it can't hurt. It didn't steep very long so it may not effect it at all. I had too much tea left over so I kept the bags in, threw in a bag of peppermint and I'm going to refrigerate it for a tea rinse next week. The mix is sitting now. I'm not sure long it takes for the dye release to mix with this. The tea was still very warm and it seems like there's some release already. But I'm at least going to wait about 4 hours. In the meantime, I'm going to pre-poo with some Vatika Oil and then shampoo. I'm going to try to let the henna sit overnight... but I hate the feeling of laying down on all that. Nonetheless, in case you haven't noticed I keep some pretty late hours, so I might be up anyway. Lol. I'll DT after that. Maybe I'll sleep in the DT. That sounds a bit more feasible.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by curlydpm 11th June 2010, 9:55 pm

OK, Yesterday, after an overnight Vatika oil pre-poo, that I added Alma to. I Rinsed and shampooed with kelp & ylang babassu shampoo bar. I then applied my first Cassia treatment that I used a herbal tea infusion from AnitaGrant.com of (nettle,horsetail,coltsfoot), mixed with yogurt. left on for 90 minutes. After co-rinsing with suave naturals. I applied a DT of AOHSR with heat for 30min. My hair appears to be shedding less. So I am very happy about this. It appeared very shiney while wet, but after it dried, and the chicago humidity hit it, is not, however it is soft. I plan on doing an oil-pre-poo with alma and maybe doing another cassia application again hopefully Sunday or Monday. Placing an order with BnB for more cassia and will try to incooperate Bhringaji. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for a better regimen ? I detangled last, which made applying the cassia a bit challanging. I am afraid of over doing it. Thanks in advance for any feedback
curlydpm
curlydpm

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 11th June 2010, 9:59 pm

Hi Juice-N-Berries, glad it arrived. As far as the amounts on the cocoa mix I actually do a 1:1 ratio of henna to cocoa powder and you're right due to the acid in the cocoa powder you don't need any extras. I made a huge batch of henna night before and henna'ed yesterday using the cocoa brown. Only difference is I added some Bhringraj powder to the mix. I have about 12 ounces left I froze for a gloss later this week. You'll notice the cocoa mix is more like pudding in texture (it's not as heavy more smooth) so it's a bit easier to apply. Twisting my hair as we speak, did my middle girls hair last night and I actually tried one of CHRS method of using the oils to detangle. I think due to the texture of her hair it wasn't the best, but it wasn't horrible and using the Navratna oil and bhringraj oil I worked her twist and they were super soft anf bouncy. She drove me crazy shaking her hair until I finally got tired of it and wrapped it up, lol
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
She was totally rockin' her shrinkage, lol, and I took a little extra time being sure she got those little coils on her ends...she was totally pleased and I was with the overall result of the oil on her hair.
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 11th June 2010, 10:05 pm

hi curlydpm,
maybe he detangling method using the oils would help you retain some of that shine, instead of just pre-pooing with it. Worked wonders for my little one and CHRS's hair is forever georgeous ;-)
I haven't trie dthis method with my own hair just yet or my oldest daughter and this is definitely a learning experience with us b/c the 4 of us have 4 totally different textures...I would definitely say give it a shot!
OH LADIES, tell you what when you place a B-N-B order just put "hairyuveda' in the comment section and I'll give you priority handling (which means I'll do my best to get it shipped within 48 hours)
Have fun and best wishes,
Sharika
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 11th June 2010, 10:36 pm

BQ, your daughters hair looks great! How long did you say you waited for the dye to release when doing the cocoa henna?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 11th June 2010, 11:10 pm

Juices-N-Berries, I made it around midnight and it was ready to use before dawn. Rajasthani has a slower dye release than Jamila but when it's warm it can release in as little as 4 hours. Check 4 dye release by putting a dab about the size of a raisin on the heel of your hand. Wipe it off after about 30 secs and there will be a dark orange dot there that means its good to go ;-) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 12th June 2010, 10:33 am

I got my BnB order, yippee! I plan to prepare my henna next Thursday night an apply the henna Friday, so if I wake up Saturday and I look hairy cariry I can come to the forum for help. I did do a pre-poo overnight with the vatika, neem and my Lush snake oil bar. Will co-wash later and see what the hair wants. I can't wait to try some of my ayurveda oils.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 12th June 2010, 12:10 pm

i pre-poo'd alllll day w/my shikakai n amla mix and with the sun beamin on my head every now n then it made it that much better. by the time i got to wash my hair it was soooo soft.

i have detangled w/the vatika oil but it was totally accidentally. after i massaged it in, my hair just miraculously unraveled n detangled on its own so i just finger detangled n kept it movin. i also think it detangled cuz i used too much, lol.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 32  Next