CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hairyuveda Challenge

+50
Ladybird
K.DES
slimwithabs
ginabina
ajsimmons8
dajewel
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
noski
misskris
Sebastain13
SheeTacular
bajangyrl
Choctaw
jamaicacurl
swoodward
CrissyQ
Alanija
tshala
libs2001
Karyn
Curlock Holmes
s4pphir3
Natural-In_Me
jasikazenith
KeAnia
naturalnat
Steveburner
Keesh
DMCC
Kurly4theKid
Carolina Natural
Ms Hood
adamseve
letha
CurlyCaramelCutie
envizionj
Brainiac
AfrikanLatina
freckledmom4
curlydpm
krazy coils
newday
TerraD
carfi366
ChrsLvsBks
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
gennatay
Juices-n-Berries
ButterQueen
54 posters

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

Hairyuveda Challenge - Page 2 Empty Re: Hairyuveda Challenge

Post by newday 2nd June 2010, 9:48 pm

I would like to join the challenge too but am super confused about what to use and how. I bought Henna and Vatika Oil today. I've already Henna'd two times and love the results. I had Brahmi powder and mixed it with my conditioner for a dc... don't know if I was doing it correctly. I saw other powders at the store today (Neem and two more I can't remember) but didn't buy - they all said face powder/ mask. Can you use it in the hair as well? They also had a Dabur Jasmine Oil and Amla Oil. The first ingredient was pertroleum oil. I wasn't sure if this was the correct item. I'll be waiting on the how-to-use list anxiously.
newday
newday

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 2nd June 2010, 11:24 pm

so since amla is a good mix w/henna (esp since u dont have to add nothing but water) can i still get my red spice effect w/the amla + henna mix or should i just add the paprika to it...OR just plain ol use the henna mix w/the paprika?

i looooooove the vatika oil, at first when i got the midget bottle i was like "this aint enuff" cuz im heavy handed. well i was wrong becuz it doesnt take much to coat those tresses and so i pretty much warmed it up and squeezed it on my scalp (as if i was oiling my scalp) and massaged it all over from root to tip. it felt soooo good. i definitely plan on pre-pooin w/that more often. i also made a shikakai n amla mix w/some eo's to pre-poo w/next week!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 3rd June 2010, 1:45 am

Last night, I rinsed my hair and then applied Navratna oil to my scalp and hair. The oil has a mixture of herbs including amla and maka. The smell was medicinal and the consistency was real thin. I followed up with my regular routine.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd June 2010, 8:07 am

ButterQueen wrote:Hi Carfi,
as far as powders, Amla is always a winner and when adding it to your henna there is no need to add anything other than water (so thats a plus). You may also want to try using an oil as a pre-poo for added moisture. Amla gold is a newbie, but I love the smell (not as strong as jasmine oil) but it is also enriched with henna and almonds....just a little food for thought
Kinkynappyhappy-welcome aboard! I think this is going to be a great challenge and we're off to a 'banging' start here ;-)

Thanks ButterQueen...

Not only is this a great challenge, but another opportunity to learn more about my hair and natural products!!

I have loads of questions.... Very Happy
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd June 2010, 8:20 am

ButterQueen wrote:Hey All!
Okay so I'm doing my first round of 'burgundy mix' tomorrow and instead of my usual lemon juice I'll be using Amla powder in the mix.
There are so many different methods in terms of henna and what I have found is that if you have time to wait for dye release then your 'application' time or the time you have to don henna in your hair. For those who chose to mix and use then overnight is best and the heat from your body actually creates the 'dye release' while you sleep.
So basically waiting for dye release means you leave the henna on for around 2 hours instead of 12. If you don't like to wait for it to release beforehand that means you have to leave it 'on head' longer (and for me that stuff gets heavy after a while, lol)
Running a bit behind but i'll get the list and their uses up some time today!
HI CHRS!!! Happy you're here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and carfi...no worries the best thing about these products is that they are completely natural and if you have any specific questions you can always PM or email me.
So that's henna for me tomorrow...thanks so much EVERYONE!!

Hi ButterQueen....

I've used henna twice...love, love, love the results. So...my question is "what are you using for your burgundy color?" I used hibiscus powder to deposit the burgundy color into my henna. I thought that the alma powder would deposit more of a mahogany color. So...If I henna (BAQ) and use hibiscus powder for color, I can still use my alma powder instead of lemon juice and it won't affect the color I get?(burgundy)

I hope this makes sense...I want to make sure I'm using the powders correctly..

TIA
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 3rd June 2010, 8:23 am

NubieNatty wrote:so since amla is a good mix w/henna (esp since u dont have to add nothing but water) can i still get my red spice effect w/the amla + henna mix or should i just add the paprika to it...OR just plain ol use the henna mix w/the paprika?

i looooooove the vatika oil, at first when i got the midget bottle i was like "this aint enuff" cuz im heavy handed. well i was wrong becuz it doesnt take much to coat those tresses and so i pretty much warmed it up and squeezed it on my scalp (as if i was oiling my scalp) and massaged it all over from root to tip. it felt soooo good. i definitely plan on pre-pooin w/that more often. i also made a shikakai n amla mix w/some eo's to pre-poo w/next week!

Hey Nubie...

I know exactly what you mean. I use Vatika oil to pre-poo twice a month and I've had my little bottle since January!!! I do have a hard time getting it out of the bottle as well. When you warm it up do you put it in the microwave or use hot water?
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 3rd June 2010, 10:18 am

Thanks ButterQueen for the suggestions. If I order a BNB bundle , Coco Brown, will I have to add Amla to that or use the Amla as my in between conditioner? Will the Jaswan/Red Hibiscus give me red undertones if I use the conditioner recipe you posted? It sounds yummy and raw honey is already apart of my reggie.

Thanks BQ
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 3rd June 2010, 10:25 am

I won't receive my products in enough time for this challenge but I will certainly jump watch the thread and try my products as soon as I receive my B-N-B haul. If anyone inthe DMV can suggest where I can purchase the products locally that would be greatly appreciated, so I may have a chance to participate in the challenge. Yeah me, stepping out being fierce and taking a chance with something really new that I didn't really research and analyze to death, hee, hee, hee.

Thanks Natural Beauties!
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 3rd June 2010, 2:10 pm

hi Carfi,
the Jaswand will give you reddish/brown undertones but what you'll want to mix will greatly depend on the color you want. and don't worry the challenge is for 6 weeks you'll get your things in plenty of time :-) and since you're in VA it only takes 2 days to get to you.
NubbieNatty you can still 'spice it up' for your reds with the paprika even if you use Amla Use about 2 tablespoons of each and just add water.
chrs! did the Navratna give you any tingle, I have used it as a massage oil as well and could note the 'mint' in it. Did you like the results?
Let us know!!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 4th June 2010, 1:24 am

If Navratna has a tingle, I will definitely need to pick some of that up. Are there any other Ayurvedic oils that tingle?

As we speak, I am doing a pre-poo with amla gold oil. Not certain of the results yet, as it seemed to sit on my hair and not necessarily penetrate. I did use a hefty amount. However, I love the smell and I would love to add this to some of my oil preparations. Does amla oil mix well with other things or is it best to use it alone?
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 4th June 2010, 12:18 pm

I'm in the challenge also. I just started using my powders again. At home I have:

Amla
Brahmi
Maka
Hibiscus Powder
Kalpi Tone
Maka Oil

ButterQueen what powders and what ratio could I use to get the darkest (black) color for my hair. Also I don't henna, can you only achieve the red coloring from henna?

Last edited by krazy coils on 4th June 2010, 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th June 2010, 1:34 pm

ButterQueen wrote:
chrs! did the Navratna give you any tingle, I have used it as a massage oil as well and could note the 'mint' in it. Did you like the results?
Let us know!!
You know I cannot remember if my scalp was tingling. I do not think I used enough cause it did not provide the feeling most oils have when applied to my wet hair--slip. I will use more next time since I detangle with oil. The verdict is out. I do like that the mix contains a lot of amla.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 4th June 2010, 2:10 pm

Juice-N-Berries, I would say use it alone because the oils are already blended with other herbs
krazy coils really the best way to get the darkest color is the 2 step henna indigo process. The reason being is that blending the henna with the other powder they kind of 'piggyback' the henna to coat the hair and create color. Now I did do the jaswand and amla and there was a definite color deposit but it was more of a reddish brownish instead of the burgundy so perhaps if you mixed the amla powder along with Jaswand and Paprika you may be able to achieve some reds from it or even using the hibiscus 'tea' method i call the burgundy mix with Amla powder instead of henna. Another thing, many of the powders particularly brahmi powder is known for helping the hair stay lush and dark.
CHRS! You look absolutely fierce and fabulous miss ( I am so clenching my teeth, lol) let me get up from here and do my hair!
I actually think I may shoot for something a bit more intricate but I tell you, you're making me want to spring for the curlers [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
Oils with Amla are definitely nice. I think your hair is a bit more porous than mine, I have tried doing oil treatments afterwards (especially coconut oil) and they make my hair feel like greasy straw, lol. I definitely prefer water bases for detangling and shea for sealing but thats what's so beautiful about the whole diverse group of us, always something to learn from so many differences and it's our differences that make us so much alike ;-)
Posting part 2 and possibly 3 today of the ayur101.
Thanks so much this is shaping up to be a wonderful challenge!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by newday 4th June 2010, 11:06 pm

I did an oil rinse with the Vatika Oil last night. My hair was so soft the next day. Definitely glad I purchased and will continue to use. Does anyone know how often it can be used?
newday
newday

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th June 2010, 11:13 pm

newday wrote:I did an oil rinse with the Vatika Oil last night. My hair was so soft the next day. Definitely glad I purchased and will continue to use. Does anyone know how often it can be used?
I see no problem in using it every day or even twice a day. Your hair will let you know if it does not like what you are doing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 5th June 2010, 4:59 pm

Chrs, I think you solved the mystery for me. In my above post, I said that I did a pre-poo with the Amla Gold oil and it seemed to sit on my hair instead of penetrate. When you mentioned you'd bought Amla oil that contained mineral oil, I decided to do some research. Sure enough, even the Amla Gold oil has mineral oil in it. Which of course likely explains why it felt like that on my hair. It's a shame, because I absolutely adore the smell of it. I'll try it again to see if my hair reacts similar. But no use keeping it if it isn't working.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by gennatay 5th June 2010, 7:00 pm

Since its warmer out I've been doing co washes everyday or every other day. I've been massaging my scalp with Vatika Oil and leaving it in overnight.

I just mixed some Nupur Henna and will put it apply it shortly with some Alma, Brahmi and indigo.

I'm actually thinking about trying to two step process with the indigo, anyone know how long I would have to let it stay on my hair ti achieve the natural black color?
gennatay
gennatay

http://lifeamateur.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 5th June 2010, 7:15 pm

Once you have henna'd gennatay you only need leave the indigo on for a couple of hours to get it the jet black color. When mixing remember to use the indigo paste very soon otherwise it will lose it's potency. Due to high ph levels in indigo some people experience 'itchies' or even 'headaches' so if you aren't used to acidic mixes (for example if you're averse to mixing with lemon juice) then you should proceed with caution and of course if you apply and do get a headache rinse it out immediately.
Just some points of caution about the indigo but most people experience absolutely no adverse effects whatsoever [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 6th June 2010, 8:19 pm

I received my jasmine oil, but am having a hard time finding an indian store here in LA Sad The challenge will be over before I get the powders and oils [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by gennatay 6th June 2010, 8:44 pm

I get my products from this site

http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/

she has really fast shipping.
gennatay
gennatay

http://lifeamateur.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 6th June 2010, 9:28 pm

Thanks gennatay! I'm buying some stuff right now LOL!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 6th June 2010, 9:45 pm

Thanks to gennatay (sending her a big cyber hug [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) I have shikaki soap, amla oil, vatika oil, amla powder and shikaki oil on the way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I can't wait until it comes! Yay, I'm still in the challenge!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by curlydpm 7th June 2010, 12:01 pm

Ok, I am Very New, this is my first post. I Would like to join this challenge. I really would like to understand Ayurvedic products, so this sounds Awesome. I actually bought some about 6 months ago. I tried the Vatika oil as a pre-poo and used Shikarai as a shampoo and then conditioned with Amla and Brahmi ( just mixed with H2O). When I was done my hair felt like "a Brick". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Did not help that I then put WAyyy to much coconut oil on it ( lol) I realized afterwards the next day when touching my hair that my hands and nails were black and gritty and greasy which means that I did not rinse it out throughly, and I rinsed for a Long time. Any suggestions?? Should I have done a DT after rinsing the Amla/ Brahmi? Did I use tooo many product at once?? I need some Help........
So since I already have these products and need to use them this should be perfect. ( I am PJ) I really want to learn more, I have read so many positive things about them and they have been around for a VERY LOng time.... . I hope it is not too late to join. I have the Vatika Oil and powers of Shikakai, Neem( never used), Amla, Brahmi, 100gm of Cassia. I plan on ordering some additional, cassia and powders, oils that do not contain, mineral oil. How is the Jasmine oil? also I have lots of shedding and some breakage so hopeful this will help if used correctly. How do you do a rinse? Also can the Alma be used with Cassia like with Henna? or is there any benefit to doing this? Do you think a Cassia treatment would help this shedding and breakage. My hair is natural I have been natural for over 5 years however, just embracing my true texture, I have Jet Black hair with a few Silver friends in the crown, and would like to keep it black so I am hesitant of henna. Can herbal tea rinses be used while on this challenge? Can any of these products be used Too often??
curlydpm
curlydpm

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 7th June 2010, 3:49 pm

I want to join this challenge too! I did my first henna about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I loved the color! It also helped to end the constant itching I had going on in the middle of my scalp. Last Saturday I made a gloss with 2 tbs of henna, 2 tbs of amla, honey and enough green tea to make a thin paste. Although, it I did not leave it on long enough to make a color deposit (only about 45 mins.) it clumped and defined the curls and waves in my new growth (5 months into transitioning).

My goal was to strengthen my hair and reduce the thinning in the front because I wanted to get braids for the summer, but who knows now?

I will alternate with weekly henna and amla treatments for the duration of this challenge and maybe try maka & cassia. I'm planning on ordering from butters-n-bars again. I got my shipment way before I expected it last time! Thanks Sharika!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 7th June 2010, 3:52 pm

BTW, I also use vatika oil daily on my ends and 2x a week on my scalp (ususally before wash day). I just keep an old plastic cup under the sink and sit the bottle in hot water before I use it. I love that stuff.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next