CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hairyuveda Challenge

+50
Ladybird
K.DES
slimwithabs
ginabina
ajsimmons8
dajewel
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
noski
misskris
Sebastain13
SheeTacular
bajangyrl
Choctaw
jamaicacurl
swoodward
CrissyQ
Alanija
tshala
libs2001
Karyn
Curlock Holmes
s4pphir3
Natural-In_Me
jasikazenith
KeAnia
naturalnat
Steveburner
Keesh
DMCC
Kurly4theKid
Carolina Natural
Ms Hood
adamseve
letha
CurlyCaramelCutie
envizionj
Brainiac
AfrikanLatina
freckledmom4
curlydpm
krazy coils
newday
TerraD
carfi366
ChrsLvsBks
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
gennatay
Juices-n-Berries
ButterQueen
54 posters

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

Hairyuveda Challenge - Page 17 Empty Re: Hairyuveda Challenge

Post by s4pphir3 26th August 2010, 12:45 am

how long is this challenge running for?
s4pphir3
s4pphir3

http://members.fotki.com/s4pphir3/about

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 27th August 2010, 9:58 pm

Hi s4pphir3!!
Welcome, welcome...I don't think we have put a time frame on this challenge as it seems we all have pretty much agreed to continue to post as we 'work' these things into our regular routines. So sit back, put on some fuzzy slippers and relax (don't forget to put a henna mud pie or something on your hair while you wait though, lol) and have enjoy Very Happy
Nubbie, I am sooo working on getting this stuff back, but since it is coming by sea takes a while longer (like a few months Crying or Very sad )
I am so trying to stretch my own little bit, but as soon as it's back in I will definitely let you know!!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 27th August 2010, 10:04 pm

Carolina Natural wrote:BQ

What type of clay are you using? Unfortunately, you are waking up my pjism!
LOL, All for the cause Wink
For this experiment I used red coral reef clay, when I get a chance I'll post a picture of the cly and the color results have been quite indicative of the color of the clay so like I said when I henna this week I will be adding more clay (probably 100 grams of 50 grams of henna and 50 grams of brahmi powder) I think I may try honey this week as a dye release instead of my usual cocoa powder, but I am kind of diggin the way the color is headed so maybe I should keep it the same as I tweak increments of the other ingredients.
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by newday 28th August 2010, 11:19 am

Has anyone ever used Tulsi leaves? If so, what did it do for your hair?

Thanks.
newday
newday

Back to top Go down

Post by s4pphir3 30th August 2010, 5:55 am

Neat! I used henna last week and added hibiscus powder for a deeper red. I don't think I used enough hibiscus (of course I didn't measure lol) so I can't wait to try it again. Can you ladies tell me how (if any of you do) mix your powders with conditioner? I tried it once but not sure if I did it correctly.
s4pphir3
s4pphir3

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th August 2010, 9:54 am

s4pphir3 wrote:Neat! I used henna last week and added hibiscus powder for a deeper red. I don't think I used enough hibiscus (of course I didn't measure lol) so I can't wait to try it again. Can you ladies tell me how (if any of you do) mix your powders with conditioner? I tried it once but not sure if I did it correctly.
I mix my powders with water until it is a thin mud-like consistency. Then add honey, oils, etc., if adding them. I then add my conditioner.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 30th August 2010, 11:04 am

s4pphir3 wrote:Neat! I used henna last week and added hibiscus powder for a deeper red. I don't think I used enough hibiscus (of course I didn't measure lol) so I can't wait to try it again. Can you ladies tell me how (if any of you do) mix your powders with conditioner? I tried it once but not sure if I did it correctly.
The thing to remember is when you henna and conditioner (i.e a gloss) it's not going to have the same effect as just a henna treatment without the conditioner. Also you'll find better color results without the oils just an acid for dye release, and your henna mix (i.e henna and whichever thing or powder you're adding for color or condition)
Another thing to remember is hibiscus powder or Jaswand isn't going to give as deep or noticeable reddening effect but makes for a lovely sheen adding powder that not only conditions but cleans your hair. Try adding hibiscus flowers to your mix or even paprika for reds and leave off conditioning until afterwards (when you henna for color)
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 30th August 2010, 2:03 pm

@ BQ how much paprika would you suggest adding to 100g of Jamila?
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 1st September 2010, 6:47 pm

newday wrote:Has anyone ever used Tulsi leaves? If so, what did it do for your hair?

Thanks.
Tulsi has antiseptic properties similar to neem (not quite as poteent but good) it helps to clean the scalp , clears dandruff, and eases itchies

@freckledmom4 I would start with about 2 tablespoons of paprika to 100 grams of henna...speaking of it is henna mix night for me. I'll be doing the henna along with brahmi and the red coral reef clay
happy hennaing all!!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by s4pphir3 1st September 2010, 8:29 pm

@BQ: oh I wasn't going to use my henna with conditioner I wanted to mix the other hair powders (shikakai, amla, brahmi, etc.) With conditioner. Thanks for the info on hibiscus. I read somewhere else others were adding it to their henna, can I use it in my DC after I rinse the henna out?
s4pphir3
s4pphir3

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 1st September 2010, 9:17 pm

s4pphir3 wrote:@BQ: oh I wasn't going to use my henna with conditioner I wanted to mix the other hair powders (shikakai, amla, brahmi, etc.) With conditioner. Thanks for the info on hibiscus. I read somewhere else others were adding it to their henna, can I use it in my DC after I rinse the henna out?
You know the powders are so flexible the sky is the limit, really.
You can definitely add it to your DC post henna (that is if you need a DC, many of us can skip the last step but do what your hair feels :-)
I found particularly when I used the hair steamer during the last 20 minutes before rinsing I was in no need of any additional conditioning, but you can mix a lovely deep conditioner using the powders and honey and or other oils (saying that to say you don't have to use a store bought conditioner)
So mix it up and Enjoy Very Happy
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 2nd September 2010, 9:43 pm

Hi Ladies

I am making my first order next week and I would like to know what some oils you have thats a must. I know I will be ordering Henna, Cassia, Alma powder, and the Danbuar Vantika Oil. Just looking for a few suggestions. I will be checking my local health food and vitamin stores to get some EVCO, Jojoba Oil and some more Castor Oil.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 2nd September 2010, 9:55 pm

I just received some horsetails pill from a fellow curlynikki sista girl and I'm trying to think of how to use them. I'd rather not take them orally so I'm thinking of opening the capsules and adding the powder to...

(fill in the blank for me ladies)
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 2nd September 2010, 10:41 pm

KeAnia wrote:Hi Ladies

I am making my first order next week and I would like to know what some oils you have thats a must. I know I will be ordering Henna, Cassia, Alma powder, and the Danbuar Vantika Oil. Just looking for a few suggestions. I will be checking my local health food and vitamin stores to get some EVCO, Jojoba Oil and some more Castor Oil.

[b]I make a shea butter mix consisting of Organic shea butter (http://Butters-N-Bars.com), Nutiva Unrefined Coconut oil (Whole Foods or VitaminShoppe), Black Jamaican castor oil (Beauty Supply store), Goya extra virgin olive oil (supermarket or local grocery store), and sweet almond oil (http://butters-N-Bars.com), Hesh Amla powder and Hesh Maka powder. I have my oil mix and powders fermenting right now in a glass jar. When I'm ready to make another batch, I pour the mix into my shea butter, mix with a fork and use to create my twist outs. sunny

If you order from http://butters-n-bars.com, remember to use the "CurlyNikki" coupon code for 10% off your order as a member or the Curly Nikki forum.
dance flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 3rd September 2010, 9:19 am

@keke-im so proud of you for venturing off...ur catching on fast Very Happy
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 3rd September 2010, 12:05 pm

NubieNatty wrote:@keke-im so proud of you for venturing off...ur catching on fast Very Happy
Nubie!!!!! Did you give yourself a new cut...I have to say you look pure and fresh and naturally beautiful...love this look on you. Particularly the 'bare' look on your face (you should do a noxema commercial Wink
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainiac 3rd September 2010, 2:06 pm

Hey Butterqueen how come u haven't respond to any my emails regarding henna?

My question was, If i do five henna treatments in my hair for 5 weeks will change my hair from a 4a to a 3c hair texture

Brainiac

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 3rd September 2010, 2:49 pm

thanx BQ but that was my initial start of my hair journey and here i am today almost a year later (sept 30th) with almost 6 inches! eeek!! i am however, thinking of goin back to my amber rose though, ur tempting me!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by s4pphir3 4th September 2010, 12:59 am

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
I mix my powders with water until it is a thin mud-like consistency. Then add honey, oils, etc., if adding them. I then add my conditioner.

Maybe that's where I went wrong. I just mixed the powder and conditioner together and just made one big mess .. I'll try mixing it with water first thanks!

ButterQueen wrote:
s4pphir3 wrote:@BQ: oh I wasn't going to use my henna with conditioner I wanted to mix the other hair powders (shikakai, amla, brahmi, etc.) With conditioner. Thanks for the info on hibiscus. I read somewhere else others were adding it to their henna, can I use it in my DC after I rinse the henna out?
You know the powders are so flexible the sky is the limit, really.
You can definitely add it to your DC post henna (that is if you need a DC, many of us can skip the last step but do what your hair feels :-)
I found particularly when I used the hair steamer during the last 20 minutes before rinsing I was in no need of any additional conditioning, but you can mix a lovely deep conditioner using the powders and honey and or other oils (saying that to say you don't have to use a store bought conditioner)
So mix it up and Enjoy Very Happy

Oooo I can't wait thanks BQ! I'm going to try again this weekend.
s4pphir3
s4pphir3

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 4th September 2010, 1:30 pm

Brainiac wrote:Hey Butterqueen how come u haven't respond to any my emails regarding henna?

My question was, If i do five henna treatments in my hair for 5 weeks will change my hair from a 4a to a 3c hair texture
While not BQ, I will answer. Your hair's texture may loosen for a while but only a relaxer or texturizer will change your texture. Henna conditions and strengthens the hair. Some experience looser curls so do not. Even those who experience looser curls do not do so permanently. After a few washes, it reverts. HTH
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 4th September 2010, 9:28 pm

I just ordered some Amla and Brahmi as well as some Reshma Henna. I've never used the first two so I'm excited to see what they do for my hair! If I like them, I suppose I'll be needing to plan a drive to pick up more and stock up! (40 minutes, UGH. Sometimes big city life sucks, haha).
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th September 2010, 4:42 pm

@CurlyDee, I like your avatar. Is that a pinned twist style? Very pretty whatever the style!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 7th September 2010, 7:57 pm

Chrs- Thank you! Yep, it's just pinned-up twists. I flat ironed and twisted my hair to trim it, then got lazy and broke out the bobby pins, haha.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 8th September 2010, 12:13 am

Hi Ladies

I finally made my first purchase. Yea Me (London Tipton Voice)
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 8th September 2010, 11:46 pm

what u get keke???
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content