CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hairyuveda Challenge

+50
Ladybird
K.DES
slimwithabs
ginabina
ajsimmons8
dajewel
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
noski
misskris
Sebastain13
SheeTacular
bajangyrl
Choctaw
jamaicacurl
swoodward
CrissyQ
Alanija
tshala
libs2001
Karyn
Curlock Holmes
s4pphir3
Natural-In_Me
jasikazenith
KeAnia
naturalnat
Steveburner
Keesh
DMCC
Kurly4theKid
Carolina Natural
Ms Hood
adamseve
letha
CurlyCaramelCutie
envizionj
Brainiac
AfrikanLatina
freckledmom4
curlydpm
krazy coils
newday
TerraD
carfi366
ChrsLvsBks
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
gennatay
Juices-n-Berries
ButterQueen
54 posters

Page 4 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Go down

Hairyuveda Challenge - Page 4 Empty Re: Hairyuveda Challenge

Post by Juices-n-Berries 12th June 2010, 1:47 pm

Sooooo... I think the cocoa mix returned my hair to it's original color... like before I ever henna'ed once... not exactly what I was going for... Oh well... try another mix next time.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 13th June 2010, 12:36 am

I purchased the Dabur Amla oil from my local Indian grocery store and I was in a hurry so I didn't thoroughly read the box. It says,"Dabur Amla Hair Oil combines the goodness of Amla fruit (Indian Gooseberry) with a blend of vegetable and mineral oils..." I stop there because I'm wondering if its talking about baby oil type mineral oil. Do any of you ladies know, Butter Queen perhaps? I see its the same kind you sell on your site. Smile Thanks in advance!

I have a set regimen that consists of 2 ayurvedic treatments per month but I'm looking to tweak it a bit to incorporate more treatments, like one a week.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by gennatay 13th June 2010, 2:16 am

AfrikanLatina wrote:I purchased the Dabur Amla oil from my local Indian grocery store and I was in a hurry so I didn't thoroughly read the box. It says,"Dabur Amla Hair Oil combines the goodness of Amla fruit (Indian Gooseberry) with a blend of vegetable and mineral oils..." I stop there because I'm wondering if its talking about baby oil type mineral oil. Do any of you ladies know, Butter Queen perhaps? I see its the same kind you sell on your site. Smile Thanks in advance!

I have a set regimen that consists of 2 ayurvedic treatments per month but I'm looking to tweak it a bit to incorporate more treatments, like one a week.

The one I have at home also has a CONE listed. Phenyl Trimethicone to be exact. I stopped using it and I'm looking for alternatives.
gennatay
gennatay

http://lifeamateur.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th June 2010, 12:54 pm

carfi366 wrote:Hi BQ-
I am so excited to hear I am a few days closer to my first henna experince. YIPPEE!!! I can hardly stand the wait. Now I'm stalking the mailbox for my products and my Ebony subscription with Prince on the cover.
Prince, Ebony, cover, OMGoodness! I have to find that one. What month is he on the cover for, July?!

TerraD wrote:I received my purchase today! Tomorrow I plan on prepooing for about 6-8hrs with the shikakai oil because it has a really strong scent. I will then use my shikakai poo bar (hehe, poo, childish!), condition with a mix of condish and amla powder and follow with a DC of vatika or amla oil mixed with my DT. How does this sound, you guys know I'm still a rookie! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not sure if I missed it but are you mixing your amla with water then mixing it with condish?

ButterQueen wrote:Hi Terra,
remember the amla is a deep conditioning treatment in and of itself so maybe you should save the vatika/amla mixture for another day or maybe just moisturise with one of the oils (use it as a sealant, I suppose that would really depend on how your hair reacts to the oils...I have to have shea butter, lol, but many many people just use the oils ;-)
Sounds like your off to a great start though...welcome Aboard!
CHRS! Tell me about your steamer, I'm itching to get one and would love to know how you incorporate. Have you ever steamed while hennaing? or do you only use it for other times???
I'm not a product junkie, but I absolutely love new toys [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I have not used steamer with henna. I may try it one time. The only thing is after about 20 minutes, the steamer requires more water. I use the steamer for my DC's. I really like it. I have the Huetiful steamer. Not sure if they are in stock yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a tea with brahmi. After boiling two cups of water, I placed a tea bag with 4 teaspoons of brahmi in the water. I added tea tree EO, another ayurvedic oil (cannot recall name) and peppermint EO. Not sure if it is a good idea to use as spritz. My hair felt a little hard after using it. I did apply my Curls products so not sure if it was the combination of products or the brahmi tea. I will use it to spritz my hair again to see the results. I did not get any particles in the water after brewing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 14th June 2010, 5:32 pm

I don't know what's going on here, I missed an entire 2 pages of the challenge(no notifications :-(
Juice-N-Berries after a 2nd application it should lighten it up a bit more as is typical of henna (the more you do it the more pronounced it becomes) the cocoa mix definitely takes the red out of the henna, but I think it's beautiful in the sunlight. What color are you shooting for exactly :-) Perhaps we can help you tweak your mix!
CHRS yaay no particles, lol, they are a total pain. The first time I did a cassia treatment I had these little gold flecks in my hair for what seemed forever (my kids thought it was cool but.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.])
I used the Amla Gold as an oil rinse on my twisted hair and it was really nice. Didn't leave it on for long (maybe 15 minutes I was rushing, but wanted to give it a try in the shower) when I got out I squeezed my twist of excess water and sealed just the ends with 'grow my hair butter'. When It dried I was once again pleasantly surprised. I don't usually twist my hair to the ends I just let them curl up and the ends of my twist had the sweetest loopy curls on the ends and hair was super soft!
OMG, WHY DID I DO IT WHY DID I DO IT!
Reading Nikki on Naturallycurly and ran across her comb, her new comb, her OUIDAD double wide teeth comb for $24.00 plus shipping. It is a pretty big comb, lol, haven't tried it yet just came today I will definitely keep you all posted. I have a tenderhead daughter and a pending twistout that are just dieing to give it a spin [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 14th June 2010, 6:02 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
carfi366 wrote:Hi BQ-
I am so excited to hear I am a few days closer to my first henna experince. YIPPEE!!! I can hardly stand the wait. Now I'm stalking the mailbox for my products and my Ebony subscription with Prince on the cover.
Prince, Ebony, cover, OMGoodness! I have to find that one. What month is he on the cover for, July?!

TerraD wrote:I received my purchase today! Tomorrow I plan on prepooing for about 6-8hrs with the shikakai oil because it has a really strong scent. I will then use my shikakai poo bar (hehe, poo, childish!), condition with a mix of condish and amla powder and follow with a DC of vatika or amla oil mixed with my DT. How does this sound, you guys know I'm still a rookie! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Not sure if I missed it but are you mixing your amla with water then mixing it with condish?

ButterQueen wrote:Hi Terra,
remember the amla is a deep conditioning treatment in and of itself so maybe you should save the vatika/amla mixture for another day or maybe just moisturise with one of the oils (use it as a sealant, I suppose that would really depend on how your hair reacts to the oils...I have to have shea butter, lol, but many many people just use the oils ;-)
Sounds like your off to a great start though...welcome Aboard!
CHRS! Tell me about your steamer, I'm itching to get one and would love to know how you incorporate. Have you ever steamed while hennaing? or do you only use it for other times???
I'm not a product junkie, but I absolutely love new toys [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I have not used steamer with henna. I may try it one time. The only thing is after about 20 minutes, the steamer requires more water. I use the steamer for my DC's. I really like it. I have the Huetiful steamer. Not sure if they are in stock yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a tea with brahmi. After boiling two cups of water, I placed a tea bag with 4 teaspoons of brahmi in the water. I added tea tree EO, another ayurvedic oil (cannot recall name) and peppermint EO. Not sure if it is a good idea to use as spritz. My hair felt a little hard after using it. I did apply my Curls products so not sure if it was the combination of products or the brahmi tea. I will use it to spritz my hair again to see the results. I did not get any particles in the water after brewing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

Yes that is the July cover of Ebony. I finally got my subscription. He looks so pretty, as usual. This is definitely one for the ziplock bags and keepsake box. Who knows when we will se Prince on the cover or any magazine again.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainiac 14th June 2010, 9:11 pm

ButterQueen can you use the Himani Navratna Hair Oil everyday? How long did it take you to see growth?

Brainiac

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 14th June 2010, 9:24 pm

hi brainiac,
if your hair needs it everyday you then yes, it is safe for use everyday. Personally this is a new oil for me so I wouldn't be just in saying anything about noticing growth but I think CHRS has been using this oil for longer than I perhaps she can share her experience with it as well.
Also I would like to note that combining a few different oils and powders to achieve a certain result like sheen or growth seems to work better for most people (including myself ;-)
Kind of rotating between the different oils and powders to find what your hair likes and responds to and using them in different ways like DC and rinses or pre-poo's etc.
hope this info helps [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 15th June 2010, 6:07 am

Is it safe to use the ayurvedic oils overnight as a pre-poo?
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainiac 15th June 2010, 7:44 am

Hey CHRS

how long have been using the Himani Navratna Oil? Any Growth?

Brainiac

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th June 2010, 7:59 am

i'd think it would be pretty safe to use the oils as an overnight pre-poo
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 15th June 2010, 10:02 am

Thanks NubieNatty, I thought so, but I'm new and wanted to ask the questions. I know the oils are natural, but I recall reading a post of someone that got a headache she believed was from the oil.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th June 2010, 11:04 am

probably got a headache from the smell, lol. i say try it out cuz im sure i'll do an overnight with the vatika more often than not!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 15th June 2010, 11:13 am

Hello Everyone!
I got my order from Butters-n-bars yesterday-yay! I did an amla gloss last night. I mixed amla with gvp conditioning balm and honey. My waves and curls were so defined, I reconsidered bcing again, but I will be patient. I know that once I bc i will be doing amla treatments on a regular basis. The only bad thing is that I neglected to put on gloves thinking that it wouldn't stain, but now I have grimy looking finger nails. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Okay, so in my package, I got cassia and maka powders. I'm really not sure how to use or mix them. I got the cassia to add shine to my hair and the maka to repair damage. Any suggestions for mixes or how long to leave them in my hair?
You all are doing a great job keeping up with your treatments. Have you noticed any changes in your hair/scalp so far?

Last edited by freckledmom4 on 15th June 2010, 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th June 2010, 12:37 pm

Brainiac wrote:Hey CHRS

how long have been using the Himani Navratna Oil? Any Growth?
Hi, I have only used the oil three times. I cannot say it has helped me retain length or with hair fall.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 15th June 2010, 12:41 pm

Like the new avi NubbieNatty, the hair and makeup is rocking. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainiac 15th June 2010, 1:01 pm

The Himani Navratna Oil said on the website that rapidly increase hair growth on Butters and Bars

Brainiac

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th June 2010, 2:44 pm

thnx carfi [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 15th June 2010, 6:08 pm

I use ayurvedic powders on a daily and weekly basis. I have maka powder (bhringraj) mixed into my shea butter mix (organic shea butter, Black Jamaican castor oil (1/2 teaspoon), sweet almond oil (1/2 teaspoon), extra virgin olive oil (1/2 teaspoon), organic coconut oil (2 tablespoons), maka powder (1 teaspoon).

On Saturday, I mix up hibiscus (aka sorrel) in water (enough water to add to my powders to make a paste) 7 dried flower petals and let them boil, remove from stove to cool a bit, strain and then mix in the following powders:

Hesh Amla (1 1/2 tablespoon)
Hesh Brahmi (1 1/2 tablespoon)
Hesh Maka (1 tablespoon)

I apply this mixture to freshly washed sectioned off hair that is coated with Black Jamaican castor oil, coconut oil or olive oil. Then I apply it and leave it on for 2-3 hours. The powders clump your hair into thick waves and your hair is supersoft when you wash out the mixture. I do a quick shampoo to wash out any powder residue, and apply Aussie moist conditioner for a few minutes. Then I rinse out and style with my hair butter mix.

When I henna with Jamila Summer Crop 2009, I add in 1 tablespoon each of Hesh Amla, Brahmi, Maka in hibiscus (aka sorrel) mixed in spring water.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 15th June 2010, 6:14 pm

Thanks envizionj for the info & recipes. I had no idea that you could mix the powders into oils!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 15th June 2010, 6:21 pm

wow envi i can see u are a true mixtress over there! i gots to get me some black castor so i can compare it to the regular castor!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 15th June 2010, 6:43 pm

Freckledmom, that is how you make my own hair infusion. You can take any of the powders and mix them into your favorite oils. Look at this woman here on the web https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1C1Ngm8Dkc ... now she really uses a lot of oil for a treatment, but it works for her. I only apply a little of the oil to my hair before I apply the paste since the powders can be somewhat drying on some hair typs although they strengthen the hair.

NubieNatty, I love to experiment with the powders to see the results. Imagine these powders have been around for years and we didn't know about them until now.

I have never used the regular castor oil. I always heard about the Black Jamaican castor oil, so I decided to buy it and use it. It is not as strong in odor as the regular castor oil. Here is a link as to why it is supposedly better than regular castor oil
http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=black+jamaican+castor+oil+vs+regular+castor+oil&fr=yfp-t-701&u=www.blackhairplanet.com/blog/difference-jamaican-black-castor-oil-castor-oil/&w=black+blacks+jamaican+castor+oil+vs+versus+versus+regular+castor+oil&d=TOVPhu8_U3ee&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=6H_VNksazzSlNhx_.kxXXw--
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by curlydpm 15th June 2010, 10:46 pm

Wow, Envizionj, Thanks for sharing, you have truely enlightened me. How exactly do you mix the powders into the shea butter?

Last edited by curlydpm on 15th June 2010, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling.)
curlydpm
curlydpm

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 15th June 2010, 11:19 pm

Thanks for the link envizionj. I don't plan on mixing any oils/butters during this challenge, but in the future who knows. I'm just trying to see what affect each powder has on my hair. Thanks again.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 15th June 2010, 11:20 pm

HEY ENVIZION!
I was wondering where you were, I am so pleased to see you here [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
How have you been?!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 32  Next