CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hairyuveda Challenge

+50
Ladybird
K.DES
slimwithabs
ginabina
ajsimmons8
dajewel
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
noski
misskris
Sebastain13
SheeTacular
bajangyrl
Choctaw
jamaicacurl
swoodward
CrissyQ
Alanija
tshala
libs2001
Karyn
Curlock Holmes
s4pphir3
Natural-In_Me
jasikazenith
KeAnia
naturalnat
Steveburner
Keesh
DMCC
Kurly4theKid
Carolina Natural
Ms Hood
adamseve
letha
CurlyCaramelCutie
envizionj
Brainiac
AfrikanLatina
freckledmom4
curlydpm
krazy coils
newday
TerraD
carfi366
ChrsLvsBks
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
gennatay
Juices-n-Berries
ButterQueen
54 posters

Page 18 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 32  Next

Go down

Hairyuveda Challenge - Page 18 Empty Re: Hairyuveda Challenge

Post by KeAnia 9th September 2010, 12:01 am

Nubbie

I got some Henna, Cassia, Alma powder, Hisbicus leaves, and vatika oil. I also purchased me some more Castor oil and jojoba oil. I am looking at my local health food stores for some coconut oil.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 9th September 2010, 12:04 am

wow girl ur stash bigger than mine! i love the vatika oil though, the unrefined coconut oil is about the same just minus the extra herbs so dont rush if u cant find it yet.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnat 11th September 2010, 10:51 pm

Tried my first ayurvedic pre-poo treatment today. I used Amla, Neem and Methi powder mixed with coconut milk, coconut oil and conditioner. I did notice that my hair felt nice and strong. I have yet to style my hair though, I am sitting with my DC in right now (Jessicurl WDT, honey and EVOO).

I am planning on buying burdock root, horsetail and nettle tomorrow (if I can find them) to make an herb infused rose water mix and a herb infused evoo or a pre-poo treatment.
naturalnat
naturalnat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 13th September 2010, 4:35 pm

Sooo..... i want a reddish/burgundy tone to my hair instead of the orangish tone I get with henna. I have the hibiscus flowers so the question is do I just make a tea with it and mix it with the henna & just let it sit for a spell?

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 13th September 2010, 5:20 pm

naturalnat wrote:Tried my first ayurvedic pre-poo treatment today. I used Amla, Neem and Methi powder mixed with coconut milk, coconut oil and conditioner. I did notice that my hair felt nice and strong. I have yet to style my hair though, I am sitting with my DC in right now (Jessicurl WDT, honey and EVOO).

I am planning on buying burdock root, horsetail and nettle tomorrow (if I can find them) to make an herb infused rose water mix and a herb infused evoo or a pre-poo treatment.
Just curious, why did you use the powders for a pre-poo? I know about neem and amla. I'm unfamiliar with methi. What is methi, is that the whole name? From you mix, it sounds like a cleansing and conditioning. Why did you follow up with DC? TIA
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 13th September 2010, 5:41 pm

Nubie

Girl I decided to go big Laughing
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 13th September 2010, 9:23 pm

hi everyone! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] =P

in the midst of starting to work out and eat better, i was thinking of trying an ayurvedic regimen for my hair, but i'm scared and don't know what to buy. i henna my hair once a month (with coconut milk), but that's the only thing i use right now.

so far in my cart (yay for online shopping haha), i have:
amla powder
hibiscus petal powder
orange peel powder
fenugreek seed powder
kalpi tone powder
brahmi powder
neem oil
maka powder
vatika oil (sans mineral oil)
shikakai shampoo bar

....is that too much? what should i take outta my cart? what should i add? lol. i'm not planning on purchasing it until the end of the month (most likely), but i might cave and buy it earlier. i'm a noob and just used moptop mavens two part blog post about ayurvedic things as my guide haha.

help! please? Smile
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnat 13th September 2010, 10:53 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
naturalnat wrote:Tried my first ayurvedic pre-poo treatment today. I used Amla, Neem and Methi powder mixed with coconut milk, coconut oil and conditioner. I did notice that my hair felt nice and strong. I have yet to style my hair though, I am sitting with my DC in right now (Jessicurl WDT, honey and EVOO).

Just curious, why did you use the powders for a pre-poo? I know about neem and amla. I'm unfamiliar with methi. What is methi, is that the whole name? From you mix, it sounds like a cleansing and conditioning. Why did you follow up with DC? TIA

I am new to the ayurvedic world. From my research/understanding none of the powders I used are cleaning agents; I thought Shikakai and Aritha were the powders that can be used to cleanse the hair. Methi (Fenugreek) is a conditioner, mild protein. I washed the pre-poo treatment out my hair then did my normal DC.
Can the neem and amla be used to cleanse? If so, how?

naturalnat
naturalnat

Back to top Go down

Post by libs2001 14th September 2010, 12:14 am

I did my second ayurvedic DC and I'm hooked so I'm joining the challenge (if its not too late Very Happy ). I used amla, brahmi, and maka powders mixed with water. I also added 2 tbs of EVOO and honey. My hair was very soft and moisturized.

I hoped that the ayurvedic DC would decrease my shedding, but it's still the same. Does anyone know which powders will help with shedding?

libs2001

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 14th September 2010, 11:08 am

naturalnat wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

I am new to the ayurvedic world. From my research/understanding none of the powders I used are cleaning agents; I thought Shikakai and Aritha were the powders that can be used to cleanse the hair. Methi (Fenugreek) is a conditioner, mild protein. I washed the pre-poo treatment out my hair then did my normal DC.

You are right about the Shikakai and Aritha. From my undersstanding, the neem and amla are conditioners for the hair and you don't need to dc afterwards. I wash before I use them and add a little honey and evoo to help them rinse out easier and combat the dryness. I just thouroughly rinse them out, apply leave in and seal.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 14th September 2010, 11:14 am

libs2001 wrote:I did my second ayurvedic DC and I'm hooked so I'm joining the challenge (if its not too late Very Happy ). I used amla, brahmi, and maka powders mixed with water. I also added 2 tbs of EVOO and honey. My hair was very soft and moisturized.

I hoped that the ayurvedic DC would decrease my shedding, but it's still the same. Does anyone know which powders will help with shedding?

All the powders you used are supposed to decrease shedding.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 14th September 2010, 11:49 am

naturalnat wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

You are right. When I think of neem, I think of cleansing since it helps with scalp issues. I guess it is more of an antiseptic than a cleanser. Sorry for the confusion. Hmmm, I use fenugreek tea. I may have to look into methi. I like the sweet smell of the tea.

freckledmom4 wrote:
naturalnat wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

You are right about the Shikakai and Aritha. From my undersstanding, the neem and amla are conditioners for the hair and you don't need to dc afterwards. I wash before I use them and add a little honey and evoo to help them rinse out easier and combat the dryness. I just thouroughly rinse them out, apply leave in and seal.
I agree. No need to DC afterward.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by libs2001 14th September 2010, 4:29 pm

freckledmom4 wrote:
libs2001 wrote:I did my second ayurvedic DC and I'm hooked so I'm joining the challenge (if its not too late Very Happy ). I used amla, brahmi, and maka powders mixed with water. I also added 2 tbs of EVOO and honey. My hair was very soft and moisturized.

All the powders you used are supposed to decrease shedding.

Hmmm, maybe I should just give it more time. I'm planning to do an ayurvedic DC each week, so hopefully my shedding will start decreasing soon. Thanks for the info!

libs2001

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 14th September 2010, 5:21 pm

^I hope so!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnat 14th September 2010, 9:29 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
naturalnat wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

You are right. When I think of neem, I think of cleansing since it helps with scalp issues. I guess it is more of an antiseptic than a cleanser. Sorry for the confusion. Hmmm, I use fenugreek tea. I may have to look into methi. I like the sweet smell of the tea.

freckledmom4 wrote:
naturalnat wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

I agree. No need to DC afterward.

Thanks for the info and clearing it up for me ladies. I guess I could do the same treatment as a DC... I would hate to replace my Jessicurl but I could alternate between the two.
My hair thrives from pre-poo treatments though... what other ayurvedic pre-poo treatments can I try other than the plain vatika oil or brahmi oil?
BTW... the powder does NOT smell sweet. It's not awful, but not quite pleasant either.
naturalnat
naturalnat

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 14th September 2010, 10:11 pm

Wow, I have some catching up to do, I have been out of commission for about a week , had a dental abscess that covered the entire right side of the roof of my mouth. Went to the dentist after an emergency room trip (they put me on intravenous antibiotics for bout an hour sent me home and told me i needed to see the dentist ASAP, the abcess was totally infected) I couldn't do anything but sleep for about 4 days:sleep: due to the infection causing malais and I couldn't eat. But once I woke up, lol (btw, once I made it to the dentist I had to have emergency surgery ended up having the root tips cut through the gum and had to have stitches after the surgery and root canal affraid) I did do a henna/brahmi treatment just for my own sanity, but I'm back on track now and so happy to see everyone has been so busy!
Welcome to any newbies that joined while I was away, working on a new herbal spritzer and ready to get back to my experiments What a Face
Newbie that was a lovely pic, I dunno I was thinking of a major like trim myself (take of maybe 6 inches) I miss my afro puff (when it started looking like I had a head of cabbage on the back of my head I figured it was time to move on, lol)
Either way, I'M baaaaaaaa-aaaaaccckk cheers
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 14th September 2010, 10:25 pm

lmaoooo@ head of cabbage! that reminds me...i need to take myself to the dentist too Crying or Very sad

i want to try chrs infamous tea spritz'z but i'd be too busy drinkin em Rolling Eyes i do wanna get some neem to start applyin to my son's hair. the end of his last day of school this pass june he had a ringworm in his head Evil or Very Mad so i make sure i thoroughly wash n oil his head up!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 14th September 2010, 11:00 pm

Hey BQ,
Glad you are feeling better! I have a dentist appt. on Monday that I have rescheduled 2 times already. Now you got me backpeddling to see how I can get out of this one. I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 15th September 2010, 12:10 am

Nubie

I am glad you brought that up. I am having some problems with my daughters scalp and would like to know what I can use to clear it up besides the meds the doctor has her on. I wish I would have know this problem was comming up before I made my order last week.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th September 2010, 12:14 am

Glad all is well now for you BQ!

I really like how smooth the Jamila 2010 henna was. It did not seem too hard to rinse out. I did an indigo treatment right after. In order to keep my hair dark, which I love, how often should I do an indigo treatment? I plan to do a henna gloss every two weeks and a full henna treatment on the sixth week.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th September 2010, 12:15 am

KeAnia wrote:Nubie

I am glad you brought that up. I am having some problems with my daughters scalp and would like to know what I can use to clear it up besides the meds the doctor has her on. I wish I would have know this problem was comming up before I made my order last week.
Knowing what types of problems can help KeAnia.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 15th September 2010, 12:26 am

Frecledmom4, girl go to the dentist, lol, I absolutely dread going so much so that as I sat in that chair I told my husband "I have given birth to 8 children and I would rather give birth than spend one hour in this chair" OMG, I hate this dentist but I wouldnt wish this one on my worst enemy!
Nubie, maybe you could use neem powder in his shampoo or just make a paste and wash with it to act as a preventive. Remember too that peppermint, eucalyptus and tea tree are antiseptics and help with scalp issues.
CHRS... everyone is different so do what you need, but about once a month should be good for you. Do you have itchies like many people complain of from the indigo?
OH BTW, I'm making my call for indiog heads(or people looking for an alternative. My herbal mix without the indigo for dark hair(actually this one uses a black clay instead of red or brown) and I am not a black hair person so I am calling for a couple of volunteers who'll give it a try for me...PM me if youre interested and Henname officially tarts next week!!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 18th September 2010, 12:15 am

Hi Ladies

I have been searching around to buy me some essential oils. I am looking at pepperment, tea tree and maybe some others. I was wondering what was the difference between just regular oil and essential oil. I notice there is a price difference but I would like to know does one work better than the other.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 18th September 2010, 2:35 am

im noooo expert so feel free to chime in, esp BQ; the essential oils come in the smaller dosage but more potent so u only need a few drops. there's an article around somewhere that breaks down the use of the EO's and its purpose.

i found my EO's at whole foods, but u should also be able to find em in the vitamin shoppe's and i pretty much used em in my spritz'z and/or DC's or poo's when i wanna get creative.

the peppermint, sage, eucalyptus i've used for my aloe gro spritz and i like tea tree n peppermint when i want my scalp to tingle
my other eo's:
lavendar, ylang-ylang, and lemongrass for a clean scent
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 18th September 2010, 7:11 pm

ButterQueen wrote:Frecledmom4, girl go to the dentist, lol, I absolutely dread going so much so that as I sat in that chair I told my husband "I have given birth to 8 children and I would rather give birth than spend one hour in this chair" OMG, I hate this dentist but I wouldnt wish this one on my worst enemy!
Nubie, maybe you could use neem powder in his shampoo or just make a paste and wash with it to act as a preventive. Remember too that peppermint, eucalyptus and tea tree are antiseptics and help with scalp issues.
CHRS... everyone is different so do what you need, but about once a month should be good for you. Do you have itchies like many people complain of from the indigo?
OH BTW, I'm making my call for indiog heads(or people looking for an alternative. My herbal mix without the indigo for dark hair(actually this one uses a black clay instead of red or brown) and I am not a black hair person so I am calling for a couple of volunteers who'll give it a try for me...PM me if youre interested and Henname officially tarts next week!!
ButterQueen, I am glad you are feeling better. Toothache is just as bad as a migraine or foot pain. Please count me in on the Black Clay experiment. I am tired of the color since it shows how much gray I am covering. Mad In my last henna mix, I included 3 tablespoons of Plantation brand blackstrap molasses with my 2 tablespoons of Amla, 1 tablespoon of Brahmi and 1 tablespoon of Maka. My auburn was much brighter and noticeable because more people commented on the color than before. I was hoping the molasses would tone down the color, but it just seemed in combination with the other powders to make my roots more of a strawberry auburn. scratch

Can the black clay be applied after the henna treatment like you would apply the indigo or could you add it right in the henna mix to get black hair? flower
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 32  Next