CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Salon prices

+13
poeticlyspkng
Curly Film Chick
BeautifullyFree
DeeKay
CurlsGalore
DvaAuNaturel
Nikcoils
LadyV69
HAMPTONSFNST
jlowman1
NikG20
labon10
tiashaunteé
17 posters

Go down

Hair Salon prices Empty Hair Salon prices

Post by tiashaunteé 12th May 2010, 1:15 pm

I got beef Evil or Very Mad

Back in 2008 I got a professional flexi-rod set and it cost me $90. A friend (relaxed) got the same thing and it cost her $25. WTF(reak) ?!?!?!?!?!

Why is there such prejudice in the professional world when it comes to naturally curly clientèle.

Needless to say, I have not been back (and will never go back) and if I want a style - I learn to do it myself. afro
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Hair Salon prices Empty Re: Hair Salon prices

Post by labon10 12th May 2010, 2:10 pm

They charge more because it's more work. I paid $60 and never been back.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 12th May 2010, 2:25 pm

$90 for a flexi-rod set?! Wowwwww!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't think it's only like that with naturals though. When I used to get my hair dyed I would call and ask how much it would cost and they said they have to see my hair first. I would get there and my hair would be long and super thick, so they would examine my hair, run their fingers through it, etc. and I would be thinking "greaaaat". One time I spent $200 to get my hair dyed, and it wasn't even the color I wanted. She charged by the hour and I actually ended up leaving with a horrible blonde/orange color, she told me to come back the next day and she would do the rest for free. Dang right you will! Needless to say I NEVER went back after that. lol

Nowadays I only go to someone else when I need a hair cut, and I go to the cheapest places. lol
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 12th May 2010, 2:41 pm

Thats a whoooooole lot of money, just for a flexi rod set! OMG!!!!

I dont think I'll ever set foot in a salon anymore. I think I handle my hair much better and its soooo much cheaper for me to just do it myself.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th May 2010, 2:52 pm

That's ridiculous! I was dumb enough before to go to salon on the the Upper West Side in NYC after viewing the salon owner's reality tv show. I went for a touch up and a trim I believe and also got my facial. Well when I left I had spent about $200. It was definitely not worth it and as newly natural I will not be going to any stylist except if I want something fancy and that probably won't be until I get married. Many moons from now.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyV69 12th May 2010, 3:26 pm

I don't necessarily believe that natural hair is inherently more work than relaxed hair. Doing straw sets, flexi rod sets, flat twists and whatever other style that permies get in addition to getting chemicals slapped in their heads take a lot of time. I think natural hair salons get away with charging more because highly textured hair is stereotyped as being "unmanageable."

When I first went natural, I went to a natural hair salon near my house and was charged nearly $200 for a cut, color and for the stylist to put twists in my hair (she called it the "Jeudy." Never heard of twists referred to that way before or since.) Since I could have done the same things for a tenth of the cost, I never went back.

LadyV69

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 12th May 2010, 4:23 pm

I remember when straw sets first came out I was in the shop getting my hair done. I asked how much is that hair style...they said $60 and I asked are they special straws she to me nope they got them from burger king. So I asked how much would it cost to get my hair done like that she said because my hair is longer and thicker it would cost $120 because of the length of my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] For some drinking straws and bobby pins and becasue of the thickness of my hair! I would be under the dryer for over an hour and a half. so me and my friends we were college students on a budget ended up getting straws from various restaurants and some lottabody setting lotion and and some bobby pins and a hot and gold dryer. And did them ourself for a fraction of the cost and time because there were 2 of us working on one persons hair.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 12th May 2010, 4:42 pm

I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I was taking advantage of folks. I know we all have bills but geesh. I'm in the wrong line of work!
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 13th May 2010, 10:53 pm

Some of what you all are discussing here are the primary reasons that Black salons are losing business to the Dominican salons (http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/general-f3/dominican-and-black-hair-salons-in-the-wall-street-journal-t4004.htm).

African American stylists need to stop trying to get over on people with outrageous prices, and the crazy reasons for the prices (thick hair-WTH?!). It's sad how people have no integrity.

There was a salon I used to go to (in Greenbelt, Md.) and would get flexis or color or a blowout. I'd leave after paying $200+ and wonder what did I REALLY get for my money. I would feel so cheated.

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 14th May 2010, 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 14th May 2010, 12:29 am

That's why I'm a do-it-yourselfer! I haven't been to the salon since my last relaxer in March 2009. I'll make the attempt to style and practice until my fingers bleed before I go and pay a stylist an outrageous amount of $$. That's just crazy how they get over on the curlies!!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeKay 14th May 2010, 7:32 pm

I agree it's ridiculous. I live in Detroit and last year I paid a stylist over $100 just for a press-n-curl! Sad thing was I should never have gone in the first place. She had done my hair twice before and increased the price with each visit. After the first visit which was sort of reasonably priced ($80), she said she had to charge me more because my hair is thick and long. I mean really? Do you charge your clients with short/thin hair less? I think not!
DeeKay
DeeKay

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyFree 14th May 2010, 10:02 pm

My stylist for like 12yrs actually just gave me a simple clip of my ends an blow dry..do you know this chic charged me $51 ddollars..now that may sound cheap BUT normally it only costs me like $35...now i could be assuming, but what made me mad was that i told her i was no longer doing perms and she laughed [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] an then after i explained to her that i was dead serious she was like ok..an straight overcharged my a**...12 YEARS this chic has watched me grow from a teenager to an adult an had the NERVE to hike my price up ..i hope she knows i will ONLY see her when i'm due for a trim which won't be til maybe near the end of the year!!! I was done!! Like is it really that much of a prejuidice towards doing natural hair? like really its not that serious!
BeautifullyFree
BeautifullyFree

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 17th May 2010, 12:20 pm

I stepped into a salon once to get my hair straightened....the stylists saw the amount of hair on my head and looked horrified, as if this was a huge challenge she would have to take on. She told me it would cost a whole lot to "manage" my hair. I had never been to a salon to get my hair done, so needless to say, when I saw the women looking at me in that way I decided that the whole salon thing wasn't for me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 17th May 2010, 1:57 pm

That's really sad. My stylist only charges me $40 for a wash and style with a flat iron and she specializes in natural hair. She's a little scissor happy and makes me mad sometimes but reading this makes me slightly more grateful to have her as a go to.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalmommyGA 17th May 2010, 2:38 pm

Salons are way over priced these days especially here in Atlanta. I know co-worker who is natural also that paid like 90 bucks to get her hair washed..deep conditioned..and two strand twisted for that price. I was amazed that she paid that much. I went to someone who had reasonable prices and will more than likely go back soon. However I refuse to pay a boat load of money to get my hair done!
naturalmommyGA
naturalmommyGA

Back to top Go down

Post by Deva_87 17th May 2010, 6:12 pm

I actually felt guilty about asking my hairdresser to cut my relaxer because i felt like i took his biggest money maker away. because i wont be going unless i want a trim and deep condition.
Deva_87
Deva_87

http://members.fotki.com/Deva87/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden 17th May 2010, 10:42 pm

my stylist typically charged 45 for a shampoo, blow dry, flat iron and eyebrows... a relaxer added to all of that was typically 60. when she cut my relaxer out, showed me how to style it, she charged me 35. not once has she said anything about taking money out of her pocket... she is good at her craft... each week she receives calls from people waiting on an opening in her schedule...most of her appts are standing appts...i've been going to her for over 20 years... when i started out, she charged 40 for the (now 45) service... she went up 5 dollars after 10 years and apologized for having to increase her prices...
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 18th May 2010, 3:33 pm

Girl, that is GOOD! My hair dresser has been going up $5 every year. A press n curl is now $55. Therefore, i am now seeking other natural stylist.

I can do my own natural styles and only get my hair straight about once a quarter.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down