CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning Motivation

+5
samwri07
missartistic
Treece
Janique
MochaSoul
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Transitioning Motivation Empty Transitioning Motivation

Post by MochaSoul 2nd April 2010, 9:16 pm

CN Family,

I am coming to you as a humble transitioner who is in need of encouragement and guidance...I took out my mircros today with the intent of triming (which i did). I was looking at the line of demarcation and realized that i wasnt as long as i wanted to be and therefore still needed to continue on my transitioning journey. I guess i was wanting more and became very discouraged. Sooo..after my trim, i started two strand twisting my hair, which i think was a total disaster (we will see in the morning how i acurate i was). I guess its back to the drawing board..i know that the curlie journey is a process but i am starting to have my doubts. I dont know what to do!! Any advice or encouragement for this curlie in training? Anyone wants to be a Big Sis?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Motivation Empty Re: Transitioning Motivation

Post by Janique 2nd April 2010, 10:27 pm

I don't think I would be a big sis, more like a little sis lol...but I've been transitioning for 19 months. It's no going to be very easy, but there are things that will help your journey more bearable. What is your current routine and how long have you gone without a relaxer?
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 2nd April 2010, 11:06 pm

@ Janique
Ive been creamy crack free since Dec 09....
I havent had much of a routine, but today I poo'd with Taliah Waajid conditioner
Heard about "Curls" products and used some of the gel, in addtion some organic butter mix (cant think of the name right now)
For about 2 weeks ive been using Mega Tek (massaging it in 3x per wk)
No heat !!!
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 2nd April 2010, 11:23 pm

Today, I put henna in my hair. That helps condition and strengthen the hair, as well as deposit a slight red tint. I wash my hair about once a week or so. I used to use baking soda to wash m hair. I would braid my hair in about 6 braids and mix the baking soda with water, then rinse it out. During the winter however, my scalp got very dry, so I started using Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo. it doesn't have any sulfates in it and it is a natural shampoo. I also use Aussie conditioners. They work so well. It sounds like you are starting ogg good using mostly natural products. At the beginning of my transition, I didn't have nearly as much knowledge about hair care as I do now. For the first year of my transition, I used the technique found at http://www.growafrohairlong.com/
I also bought Chicoro's book called Grow It! That is what helped me turn my hair around for the better and help me deal more with the two textures.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 2nd April 2010, 11:37 pm

@ Janiquea....i clicked on the link....still dont understand what the technique is? Can u shed some insight? Your hair seems very long, i am envious!
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 3rd April 2010, 12:12 am

The technique is pretty much using braids, cornrows, or extensions to grow your hair long. You use protective styles for an extended amount of time, giving your hair a break from daily manipulation. For a while, i wore kinky twists. And thank you!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 3rd April 2010, 8:17 am

ok, i do that anyway just for convience and to grow my hair...will be going to somebody's braiding salon today, figuring those two strands that i mentioned were indeed a hot mess!!! i hope this is all worth it in the end [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 3rd April 2010, 10:18 am

when you get your hair braided, are you mostly doing cornrows or single braids???
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 3rd April 2010, 10:22 am

both....but i was considering yarn braids....any suggestions?
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 3rd April 2010, 12:20 pm

Here is a pic I had with my kinky twists

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I really liked this style and it lasts a long time. I also would do different styles where I had cornrows and then put a fake ponytail on.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 3rd April 2010, 6:48 pm

cute pic....was today your first time putting henna in your hair and do you think that it works?
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 3rd April 2010, 9:19 pm

Hair grows slow, for the average person 1/4-1/2 inch a month, and then on top of that our beautiful curls shrink up! Sad

So, I know you must feel discouraged, but it only takes time. Love your hair and it will love you back. Very Happy What makes you think your twist won't/didn't turn out so well? This may be a good time to watch videos, and experiment on products to give you the nice twist you want.

I am glad you left your old stylist because he won't be any good, spoiling what you want. Maybe you can find a natural hair stylist in your area? She will be good for encouragement when you go see her, and especially just looking at her hair may be encouragement enough!

I wish you luck on your journey, never give up, keep your head up, and...Oh! I find that watching Youtube videos made by Naturals help alot for giving me some motivation. Smile

Last edited by Treece on 3rd April 2010, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 3rd April 2010, 9:40 pm

@ Treece..thanks for the encouragement...i feel like such a youtube/curlynikki stalker..lol! ive been looking at videos the last few weeks and in envy of all the photos and things that ive seen. The reason i wanted to go natural was #1-i am a military wife and moving from place to place tends to be grumsome in effort trying to find good stylist and #2-seeing the movie "Good Hair"..boy was that a rude awakening!!!

My twist looked a hot mess this morning..partly because there is soo much new growth and relaxed hair and in addition i probably didnt know what i was doing for them to look nice...you never lied about the shrikage..sigh..

your hair looks nice and long...are you tranisitioning or are you 100% natural? Either way it still looks good.

Thanks for your encouragement!!!
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 3rd April 2010, 9:56 pm

Lol, I'm a stalker too. ^-^ I stalk another forum and youtube all the time. I love all the info/tips. Oh and props to your DH for being in the military, man do they do great stuff, and I know what you mean about finding a good stylist. I love the one I have now, but I don't plan to be here forever, and I am in college and don't have money to spend on another hair stylist. Good Hair was a good movie I thought, though some things irked me, such as the Barbershop men. Mad

I am in the process of transitioning, the picture was when I did twist outs, and I didn't like the way it turned out. My relaxed hair was limp and weighed down by the gel I used. From a distance I guess it was fine, but not up close lmao.

When I watch videos on twists, I see a lot of people doing smaller twists, so that may help to add volume, and to "stretch" the new growth. I suggest giving it another try when you're ready. ^-^You'd be surprised how switching one thing makes a difference.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 3rd April 2010, 10:01 pm

LOL...yeah the Barbershop Men were a little Xtra!!! Glad im not the only stalker on here..lol..its just sooo addicting! I feel you with being in college and broke...i work full time and i am in graduate school so i clearly understand!!

how long have you been transitioning?
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 3rd April 2010, 10:16 pm

Oh what are you in Graduate school for? You sound like you have a lot on your plate! You go girl! Very Happy

I have been transitioning since August of 2009. I was transitioning before that, but I didn't know what to do, and I was home for summer and just decided to get a relaxer before school, but when I got to Uni I decided that I want this to be it, and I want to go natural. Sooo, that's how that happened in short lol.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 3rd April 2010, 10:23 pm

Social work....yeah its alot, im managing..lol! sounds like ur on the right track!! i will definately be following ur progress
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 3rd April 2010, 10:26 pm

I thought about Social Work..but it just sounds so stressful. Sad You're brave! Lol.

And thank you very much, I wish you the best of luck during your transition, and would love to see how it goes for you as well. Don't hesitate to ask a question or get advice! It may just save you. Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by missartistic 3rd April 2010, 10:42 pm

I also just started to transition recently, Ive been off relaxers since January. This website is mt main point of motivation. I think that what is most important is to keep your hair goals in mind. You just have to suffer through the creamy crack withdrawls lol, I find that keeping my hair very moisturized makes everything a lot easier. Just keep hope alive, a lot of girls got through this, we can too!! Janique...is it possiable to get twist with a different type of hair?
missartistic
missartistic

Back to top Go down

Post by samwri07 3rd April 2010, 11:25 pm

Hello MochaSoul. I am so happy that you have decided to go natural. The transition phase can be a random experience but as your hair begains to grow you to appreciate you texture and the hair that you are developing. I am still transitioning even though my last relaxer was Feb 08. I never wanted to cut off my hair so I got it trimmed about twice a month. And I always got it cut in a bob. So now my hair is long in the front with relaxed ends and short in the back and all natural lol, and it looks random at times. The way I transitioned was to get it straightened, but looking back on it I dont think that was the best way to go. I never experiemented with weave or braids, but I wish I did. I recently did a sew in which was really great!!

Anyway during the begining of my transition I didn't research any info on the internet or have the support that I have now. I felt that I didn't have any other option than to have my hair straightened. Now I am joining online support groups, researching the best tools and products, even looking on you tube to see what other peoples journeys are like. Doing all these things motivate me and excite me about my hair journey and future. I even was inspired to make some of my own products that responds well to my hair!!

In the end you have to just ignore the negative comments and surround your self with people who support your hair goals and even aspiring to reach the same goals you are. Also if some of your freinds and family have not decided to go natural try to encourage them join the journey. Once they see how beautiful and strong your hair is they may want to get off the creamy crack too lol. (i am still tryin to get my cousin and sister to transition to the good side of hair)

Just remember that natural hair is simply better hair!!! Give your self and your hair time to make the transition and you will DEFINATELY be pleased with the results. And also remember that every body is blessed with a different curl pattern and once all of your relaxed hair is gone you will appreciate your decision to be natural Smile.
samwri07
samwri07

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 4th April 2010, 3:30 am

No today wasn't my first time putting the henna. This will be like my 6th time. I definitely think that it works. I feel like it has strengthened my hair and loosened the curl pattern somewhat. I also like the color it gives my hair, although I wish it would show a little better.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by MochaSoul 4th April 2010, 7:23 am

@ sam-thanks honey!! my husband is suppportive but as long as i dont look like a chickenhead...lol!! Ive tried to get my mother on the no creamy crack ride, but she isnt taking the bait right now, she still doesnt believe that i will keep it up...but i love to challenge nay sayers!!!
wow you have been transitioning for a long time...has the journey been worthwild? what products have you whipped up and what do you think works best?

these sites and you tube have been very helpful..as you can see janique are self admitted stalkers for those type of sites..lol!

@ missartistic-your hair looks beautiful...were you naturally curlie from the begining? it is hard trying to resist the crack, im trying to be strong...i guess i will feel better once i get my hair braided

@ treece- thanks! i will be asking questions and seeking more motivation along the way from you guys...i dont want to be so frustrated that i make a brash decision (like go back to creamy crack).

@ janique-from reading forums on this site..do you let the henna sit over night, what do you use to release the henna and maybe a different brand might release more color.
MochaSoul
MochaSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 4th April 2010, 1:07 pm

I just let the henna sit for 4-6 hours during the day. I have lit it sit overnite before though. I use lemon juice, and sometimes I might add honey or extra virgin olive oil....at first I was using henna from mehandi.com, but now I've been using jamila henna (because it's cheaper!)
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by samwri07 5th April 2010, 12:03 am

mochasoul~~omg i love my natural hair and I feel more free and renewed, but I know some people dont appreciated just because of how it looks now. But I must honestly say I will never ever ever get another relaxer in my life. I hate to say never b/c you never know what may happen in the future but I love my natural hair so much and i cannot wait until i reach my hair goals. then every one who has doubts can be put to shame when they see my beautiful locks lol!

yeah i have an addiction to youtube and other ppls transitioning stories b/c it is so inspiring.

@treece your hair is so pretty. Look i tried to do a twist out twice and both times it looked extra random......especially the second time i did it.....it turned out a hot mess. I dont think my hair is thick enought for that style. my twist just come out so random :/ i gotta find something else lol
samwri07
samwri07

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 5th April 2010, 12:25 am

Thank you Sam. ^-^ Your hair is pretty too though! Don't give up on twist outs, I just set up my second try tonight a littl smaller, so I'll see how these turn out. Smile Have you tried Bantu Knots?
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next