CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

transitioning anyone?

+4
pretty,Pleaseee
purplec18
CherryWill_1
SimplyNzuri
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

transitioning anyone? Empty transitioning anyone?

Post by SimplyNzuri 1st December 2010, 1:54 pm

Soo I've been transitioning for about 5 months now Very Happy, I started june 30th, and I'm super happy about how it's turning out. For the first 3 months, I wore my hair in micros(my avi pic is from when I first took them out), then I wore twist outs for the longest lol. This Sunday, I got two strand twists for my winter protective style, and I love them.

Anywho, I was wondering, to all my transitioning teen sisters, what have you been doing, as far as washing, your regimens, and what are you doing for the winter?

-peace, love, and hair grease Very Happy
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

transitioning anyone? Empty Re: transitioning anyone?

Post by CherryWill_1 1st December 2010, 6:26 pm

congrats on your transition!
i reached 9 months a couple of days ago and...it's a challenge
I mean, so far I've got it down pat with the deap conditions, washing once a week, and moisturizing but my main problem is styling.
oh my gosh, im style challenged fa real! The only thing I've managed to do is a twist n curl (which looks really good!) but it takes me an hour and a half to set it, and so far I can only make it last probably 3 days at the most. and im lazy so I really only want to spend 30 to 45 mins at the most to doing my hair...so my main 99.99% of the time style is buns...and I have a lot of new growth so it really doesn't look that good. maybe i'll get kinky twists soon...
another problem I have is breakage...especially when detangling. I have a good detangler leave-in (yes to cucumbers) but I feel like I look A LOT of hair and I want to make it to june (after graduation) before I big chop...but I might have to do it in during spring break of something, which would be about 14 months...idk if I'm ready for that, but hey, it is what it is...
overall I'm pretty happy with my decision and hope I can make it!

CherryWill_1

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 1st December 2010, 9:16 pm

congrats big time! 9 months... that's really good. I plan on bc'ing in the summer also, butvi don't think I'm going to last either lol.

how has your hair been doing with washing once a week? that's what I've been doing, but my neighbor is is natural, told me I should stop because its unhealthy for my hair, even though I use organic sulfate free shampoo...? so far, my hair has been doing great with the weekly washouts, but idk?

but the kinky twists sound like a good idea for the winter. and I have the same problem with styling ideas lol. and my twist out regimen is mad time consuming Sad too.
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by CherryWill_1 3rd December 2010, 12:00 am

i don't think its unhealthy. if washing once a week is going good for you, you should keep going.
I think it's good to wash my hair at least once a week because any longer than that I start itching like crazy. When I was completely relaxed, I would get my hair done every two weeks and the second week itching was killing me! Very Happy i also had dandruff problems but since I've started washing more, I don't really worry about that problem anymore.

CherryWill_1

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 3rd December 2010, 7:06 pm

ohk, thats what i was thinking Smile. thanks a bunch!
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 7th December 2010, 12:56 pm

i am going to do a roller set and..i am going to buy curls esctasy conditioner for my new deep conditioner...i use tresemme naturals as my shampoo and i love it, i doesn't strip my hair. I wash my hair once a week and i leave-in with shea butter and evoo..thats about congratz to the both of you and i am going on 10 months im like 9 1/2 months

-happy holidays!!!!!!!!
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by CherryWill_1 7th December 2010, 6:02 pm

thank you purplec18.
i tried a roller set...a couple of times, and it was a disaster but that was partly due to me not having a clue what I was doin' with myself at the time haha.
hope it looks great!

CherryWill_1

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 7th December 2010, 6:22 pm

my first wasn't that much to talk about either...i guess it just what works for you now, then and later...good luck on journey
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 7th December 2010, 9:37 pm

hi purplec18! Smile, and congrats to you on your 9 months of transitioning! lol like CherryWill_1 i tried a roller set also, but it didn't work too hot for me.
I wanted to ask you guys also, since you have been trasitioning for so long, does length(your hair length, and the length of your new growth/natural roots) play a role in how you style your hair?
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 7th December 2010, 10:59 pm

for me the only thing is you have to be more cautious...but styling doesnt really drastically change because my staple style is to bun my hair under but i find the my relaxed ends are thinning and...my newgrowth are thick so...it makes my bun look weird and my head look big...but newho! lol, the same rules apply
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 8th December 2010, 1:29 am

i'll be 5 months post on Christmas , this saturday i am going to get a curly weave and wear that for maybe 1 - 2 months. I am having the biggest problem with frizzy hair right now though , how do you ladies manage it ?
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

http://helloprettyy.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 8th December 2010, 9:33 pm

what do u mean by friz like no matter what you do to your hair it frizzes? try buying a good strong gel (eco styler) if you dont wanna use gel then try putting oil (a little on finger tips) and rub throw hair
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 9th December 2010, 2:38 pm

hi pretty,Pleaseee Smile. when you do get frizz, is it mostly on curly styles such as twist-outs or braid outs, or straight styles? because if your hair mostly frizzes when you do curly styles it could be from taking your hair down while it's stil wet. sometimes my twist outs can get really frizzy when i don't sit under the dryer the night i wash it and twist it when i take it out, it frizzes like crazy.
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyporsche_ 10th December 2010, 12:32 am

I just reached four months last week. I have tons of new growth. Right now, my hair is in micros & it has really helped me retain length despite what ppl say about micros breaking off their hair
prettyporsche_
prettyporsche_

https://facebook.com/porsche.olivia

Back to top Go down

Post by pretty,Pleaseee 10th December 2010, 2:01 am

purplec18 wrote:what do u mean by friz like no matter what you do to your hair it frizzes? try buying a good strong gel (eco styler) if you dont wanna use gel then try putting oil (a little on finger tips) and rub throw hair

yes thats what i mean , the frizz is only in some areas though. And when I do use gel the frizz of course is gone but I wanted to know if anyone has "eliminated it" without the productss
SimplyNzuri wrote:hi pretty,Pleaseee Smile. when you do get frizz, is it mostly on curly styles such as twist-outs or braid outs, or straight styles? because if your hair mostly frizzes when you do curly styles it could be from taking your hair down while it's stil wet. sometimes my twist outs can get really frizzy when i don't sit under the dryer the night i wash it and twist it when i take it out, it frizzes like crazy.

Hi SimplyNzuri , I get frizz in certain areas , at the nape and sides with ANY style its like magically there all the time. a couple of ladies told me it might be natural frizz Mad but this leads me wondering about "scab hair"
pretty,Pleaseee
pretty,Pleaseee

http://helloprettyy.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 12th December 2010, 4:35 pm

@prettyporsche- congrats on your fourth month! Razz and i can totally relate to what your saying about the micros, alot of people have told me bad things about them, but the always seem to do wonders for my hair.
@pretty,Pleaseee- ohh, the natural frizz i can understand... but as far as the "scab hair," i can't really help you there, unfortunately i don't know anything about that... sorry
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 12th December 2010, 4:44 pm

I almost wish I was still transitioning. When I was I did for like 10 months then got frustrated from never being able to pull off good hairstyles. I cut it now but I'm still gonna follow this thread and add a lil input when I can.

You guys are doing awesome keep it up.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 12th December 2010, 4:54 pm

Purple I hear you on the bun front. The transition styles did not work for me an buns were a godsend but as my hair got longer the thickness started to make my hair look big an the ends really thin.

Pretty please the friziness is probably as a result of your hair not binding properly. The curly hair can't bind properly to the straight hair. When I cut my hair the problem was resolved and my hair stopped being a frizzy mess.

HTH
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by tgrant4 13th December 2010, 12:46 pm

Hi, I'm in the transitioning state. Haven't had a relaxer since April 1 so that make about 8 months. thinking about bc-ing this friday. i can't seem to do anything with my hair now because it's like half and half. half relaxed and half natural

tgrant4

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 13th December 2010, 6:14 pm

tgrant if you do decide to go ahead with the BC good luck!! But just make sure you're really ready for it. Trust me the styling and everything is oversimplified sometimes. It is alot of hard work. But worth it. Report back if you do.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 13th December 2010, 11:57 pm

hi tgrant4, and super congrats on your transition! Razz. i totally feel you 100% on your half and half hair. haha ive only been doing it for about 5 months and already my mother and i are getting tired of the half and half. so i can only imagine how you feel 8 months in! but yeah, im considering bc-ing also, i might do mine over Christmas break? confused.
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 14th December 2010, 12:00 am

The two textures is a pain but your hair looks really long in your avi nzuri. Be sure this is the road you wanna walk down cuz that is alot of hair to lose lol. But if you do BC I'll be your biggest fan. I hate being the new girl so you guys can come over to the natural side.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by prettyporsche_ 14th December 2010, 3:51 pm

1 month with micros! transitioning anyone? 00213
prettyporsche_
prettyporsche_

https://facebook.com/porsche.olivia

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 17th December 2010, 4:06 pm

@chelsea- haha yeah, my hair is really long and thick too lolz. and thanks for the tip, this is actually my third attempt at going natural(the other two times i quit for the exact reason you named above Embarassed). but this time, im absolutely positively sure this is what i want Very Happy!
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 17th December 2010, 4:13 pm

You have to post pics once your done Very Happy I'll be waiting by the comp until lol.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next