CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning...WHY?

4 posters

Go down

Transitioning...WHY? Empty Transitioning...WHY?

Post by MellowOne 23rd February 2010, 1:55 am

I'm sure that everybody has been asked the question why are you transitioning, and not in a really inquisitive way but more sarcastically. I have been getting relaxers maybe since I was around 7 or 8. I remember when I was a little girl and my mom would wash my hair and looking in the mirror at all the curls in my hair and being so happy. Apparently my mom wasn't so happy with them because she took me to the salon to get a relaxer, against everyone telling her not to.

Since I was so young when I got a relaxer I really don't remember the exact texture of my hair, so all I have ever known is when you see new growth its time for a relaxer. I am the only one in my family on my moms side that has more of a 4a or b hair type they all have like 3a hair so I felt like I had to get my hair relaxed because they would tease saying how nappy my hair was [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . They would also and still do say that their hair is "nappy" (I don't like that term) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I look at them like are you serious I would love to have your hair. The funny part is I liked my "nappy" hair. I attempted several times to go natural but was never confident enough to stand up to my family or peers until...

After having my baby in september I was loving my long thick hair I had only put one relaxer in the whole time that I was pregnant and was thinking of going natural but for some reason 2mos after I had the baby I decided to put a relaxer in my hair myself. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Why did I do that. It should have been a sign when I went to the store that I always go to and they didn't have the relaxer I get. I ended up putting in a different brand that I thought I shouldn't put in but did it anyway. It was super straight and super thin. I don't know if it was just postpartum shedding or the relaxer or a combo but my hair started shedding like crazy. The next thing I knew I didn't have any hair around my edges all around the temple area [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Yes I did cry but being busy with a newborn kept my mind off it. So that was when I said no more creamy crack for me. One of the ladies on another website that I was on told me to check out CurlyNikki.com and here I am. Now I tell people to come to this website because it has helped me so much.

The products I have been using so far are Wild Growth, Pantene relaxed and natural, henna n placenta, coconut oil,and parnevu leave in conditioner. I don't have a set regimen yet but I have been co washing every week and washing with a shampoo every other week. I think I will go to the salon once a month or as need to get trimmed.

I am really ready to bc just waiting on my edges to grow a little more.

I hope to gain a healthy hair regimen and get back my edges. I was really embarassed by my edges even in the salon but I know that I am not the only one and hope that I can help someone with the hair knowledge I have gained from the lovely cn ladies by keeping it really real despite some members of my support system being not so supportive on my journey to curly freedom [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My Staple Style the Flat Twist Out
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The Lost Edges

Roller Set

Flat ironed and rolled at night

Rolled at night with medium rollers

Relaxed Days
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Transitioning...WHY? Empty Re: Transitioning...WHY?

Post by MomnWife 23rd February 2010, 2:21 pm

Your hair is gorgeous. Good luck on you journey.
MomnWife
MomnWife

http://www.youravon.com/dsumner

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 23rd February 2010, 6:17 pm

thank you
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by CreoleLady88 23rd February 2010, 6:41 pm

I transitioned because i was just so tired of getting relaxers! Relaxers always burned, i always got chemical burns, and they ultimately made my hair thinner and coarser. Embracing my curly hair was the best thing i could've ever done for my hair! And dont worry about what other people say, do what makes u happy :-) Good luck on your transitioning journey!
CreoleLady88
CreoleLady88

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 23rd February 2010, 6:53 pm

Thank you CreoleLady88, I guess it is easier for me now because I am older so what people say now doesn't really matter.
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by pardigm 7th March 2010, 8:05 pm

MellowOne wrote:I'm sure that everybody has been asked the question why are you transitioning, and not in a really inquisitive way but more sarcastically. I have been getting relaxers maybe since I was around 7 or 8. I remember when I was a little girl and my mom would wash my hair and looking in the mirror at all the curls in my hair and being so happy. Apparently my mom wasn't so happy with them because she took me to the salon to get a relaxer, against everyone telling her not to.

Since I was so young when I got a relaxer I really don't remember the exact texture of my hair, so all I have ever known is when you see new growth its time for a relaxer. I am the only one in my family on my moms side that has more of a 4a or b hair type they all have like 3a hair so I felt like I had to get my hair relaxed because they would tease saying how nappy my hair was [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . They would also and still do say that their hair is "nappy" (I don't like that term) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I look at them like are you serious I would love to have your hair. The funny part is I liked my "nappy" hair. I attempted several times to go natural but was never confident enough to stand up to my family or peers until...

After having my baby in september I was loving my long thick hair I had only put one relaxer in the whole time that I was pregnant and was thinking of going natural but for some reason 2mos after I had the baby I decided to put a relaxer in my hair myself. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Why did I do that. It should have been a sign when I went to the store that I always go to and they didn't have the relaxer I get. I ended up putting in a different brand that I thought I shouldn't put in but did it anyway. It was super straight and super thin. I don't know if it was just postpartum shedding or the relaxer or a combo but my hair started shedding like crazy. The next thing I knew I didn't have any hair around my edges all around the temple area [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Yes I did cry but being busy with a newborn kept my mind off it. So that was when I said no more creamy crack for me. One of the ladies on another website that I was on told me to check out CurlyNikki.com and here I am. Now I tell people to come to this website because it has helped me so much.

The products I have been using so far are Wild Growth, Pantene relaxed and natural, henna n placenta, coconut oil,and parnevu leave in conditioner. I don't have a set regimen yet but I have been co washing every week and washing with a shampoo every other week. I think I will go to the salon once a month or as need to get trimmed.

I am really ready to bc just waiting on my edges to grow a little more.

I hope to gain a healthy hair regimen and get back my edges. I was really embarassed by my edges even in the salon but I know that I am not the only one and hope that I can help someone with the hair knowledge I have gained from the lovely cn ladies by keeping it really real despite some members of my support system being not so supportive on my journey to curly freedom [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My Staple Style the Flat Twist Out

The Lost Edges

Roller Set

Flat ironed and rolled at night

Rolled at night with medium rollers

Relaxed Days

Sorry to hear about your shedding but you be sure that it was probably not due to your relaxer. I have had 2 kids and that happened to me (although not as much) and everyone else I know. It has something to do w/ hormones and it will grown back. Check this out on BabyCenter http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc. Hang in there!

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 7th March 2010, 8:35 pm

@pardigm I tried the link but it didn't work for me. Thats funny though because someone on babycenter told me to come on this site. I did have shedding before with my first child and I know also that birth control can effect your hair. I had so much going on around the time that it started dropping who knows. It is growing back now and I am happy for that. Thank you for the encouragement...not sure why the link didn't work
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by pardigm 7th March 2010, 9:18 pm

Sorry about that link. If you go to babycenter.com and type in postpardum hair loss you will a few articles but glad to see it's come back Smile

pardigm

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 7th March 2010, 10:11 pm

ok thank you!
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down