CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning without the BC

+3
letha
TiffNotANY
NaturalMahogany
7 posters

Go down

Transitioning without the BC Empty Transitioning without the BC

Post by NaturalMahogany 6th October 2010, 4:41 am

Hello ladies. I am new to CurlyNikki and I am excited that there is so much support for transitioning to natural! I decided to do the Long Transition because I have bsl hair and I would like the long length natural hair. I must say the transition is hard because when my hair was relaxed, I hardly had any breakage. I am not used to seeing so much of my hair around my sink when I do my hair. It is discouraging sometimes, but I try to be encouraged. I would like to know what do you ladies use to help with breakage? I have very thick and long back hair and it dries out very easily. Suggestions on great products would be helpful! THANK YOU!

Love being Happy Naturally!

NaturalMahogany

http://naturalmahogany.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Transitioning without the BC Empty Re: Transitioning without the BC

Post by TiffNotANY 6th October 2010, 2:23 pm

From what I've learned, we have to keep our hair moisturized. Although I haven't tried it yet (ordering soon), I've heard Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) helps with breakage. HTH
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 6th October 2010, 2:31 pm

Keeping your hair moisturized does help a lot.. When I 1st started into my transition I am 10 months now.. I just kept a spray bottle of water, honey vegetable glycerine and just kept my roots lightly misted sometimes I just used plain ole water with some emu oil in it.. I wore my hair in a bun a lot too so I wasn't messing my style by keeping it damp at the NG...
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by tatertotz 6th October 2010, 2:38 pm

9months into my transition and my relaxed is still pretty long and thick for the most part. My keys to reducing the breakage have been keeping my hair moisturized, doing protein/henna treatments every month to strengthen and taking my time when I detangle. 'cuz I tried to detangle quickly like when my hair was all relaxed and all I heard was snap, crackle, and pop like some dang rice krispies...
tatertotz
tatertotz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashima 12th October 2010, 6:03 pm

Hi Natural Mahogany,
I think breakage is natural. I believe that is the why it is suggested that one get a touch up every 6 to 8 weeks. Deep condition and moiturize. Also get big trims every couple of weeks. Don't be afaid to cut off those straight ends. If you plan on going natural you have no intentions of keeping them anyway. Work on taking care of the new growth that is the hair you want to keep! Do not freak out when you see all those straight ends in the sink. They gotta go anyway! Laughing

Ashima

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 12th October 2010, 7:22 pm

I transitioned for 12 months with no noticeable breakage. I agree with the advice above. I clairifed once every other week, deep conditoned every week, conditioned again, then applied my leave in. I applied protein treatments every other week.
You can do it!
HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 12th October 2010, 8:26 pm

I didn't do anything specifically to my hair to reduce my breakage. I washed it and detangled once a week. Of course if I detangled more often I would have seen less hair. My hair still grew down to APL from SL before I cut it.

Find out what type of moisturize works best for your hair, and get a leave in, or use your best conditioner as one as long as there's no "bad" ingredients. An example is Herbal Essences Hello Hydration.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down