CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Submit Your Mix and a Picture

+79
gennatay
MicaiahTy
qshukura
Blex
carlaface
CurlsGalore
summerbreeze76
jjleo
nbella
CocoEuro
agore07
LaToya28
Starrchild
envizionj
BrownSkinDiva
YLONDA
metrocntry girl
DvaAuNaturel
poeticlyspkng
AimWard
BohoStreet
Superfly Sister
nulynaturalali
FemmeFox
Tiffy2
FritterFritter
laleepop14
CurlyLadyButler
angelic7
naturalhonney
RoseNaturalBeauty
Mrs. Hudson
Jonezy
TheBeautifulSaffiyahO.
cdawnlujan
Sunflower
JennikaDe'Nae
soulsearch72
Maricopa
asanterochelle
BajanPrincess82
Freestyles
curlyamazon
Mimi
TerraD
wild_honey
.:Eden:.
jlowman1
TaSiaJaY
xtremelyperfect
oooop2
TerriB92
vonda4b
TinyLissa
nalena
mml
islandfilly
beauTifulcurls
Curlytrini87
LuvMeLuvMyFro
RandRlove
NylaCoils
curlykinkynfrizzy
CarlsM
loveself247
ohnatural
natural83
MixedStraightUp
laughlovelivelife
WarriorPrincess
rebelrocks
AfrikanLatina
lexi1
AhhMazeIngTrini
JoyCurl
veggiegirl314
gammainme
leightred
*CurlyNikki*
83 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Submit Your Mix and a Picture - Page 7 Empty Re: Submit Your Mix and a Picture

Post by vonda4b 30th March 2010, 1:27 am

Ok. I just got my Jamila Henna in the mail today and it's sitting now. I plan to henna for the 2nd time after 3 weeks and see what happens this time.

The first time i did this was about 3 1/2 weeks ago and my hair was so DRY!!. it was horrible. I don't think my hair likes ACV very much. I did a ACV and BS rinse the other day and my hair is still dry. Will post back once I have completed my 2nd attempt at this.
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 30th March 2010, 2:23 am

Hi,

I'm new to the site, but so grateful to find ya'll !

I was wondering I did my first powders a few days ago, some Alma, Brahmi and Maka Bhringraj Powders, oh and the Vadika oil and warm distilled water , ok so right and my hair is sooo dry, I did a DC with some of Oyin's Honey Hemp Conditioner and Jamican Castor oil, then I sealed with some melted shea butter and coconut oil. and pulled my hair in a pony in hopes to trim my ends the next day, well, my hair was so dry. I don't know if mixing the powders caused this. I didn't measure. I had more of the Maka Bhringraj more than any. This is my first time so I'm not for sure which one is best in just promoting strength. I want to Henna but now I am so scurred from the drying.

So my question is this,

Should I pre-poo with oil or anything else prior to doing the powders ?

Should I just use one powder at a time ?

I kept it on for an hour, is this too long ?

I'm a bit discouraged about all of this at this point.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 30th March 2010, 1:03 pm

agore07, you applied too many products on your hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Amla (gives body) and Brahmi (defines curls). I know Maka cures alopecia, but have never used it.

I believe the Vatika oil was the problem. This should be used alone, but I would NEVER combine it with Amla and Brahmi powders since it already contains it in the mixture. Also, it has henna (we don't know if this is body art quality henna or regular henna), lemon oil (drying), and cow's milk (protein).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
"Dabur Vatika Hair Oil 150 ml

Dabur Vatika Hair Oil is a premium coconut hair oil enriched with Henna, Amla (Indian Gooseberry), Lemon and five other trusted herbs. Vatika's unique natural formulation ensures deeper oil penetration. Giving your hair and scalp complete nourishment for problem free, healthy hair. While Henna forms a protective coat to prevent oxidation, Amla strengthens the hair-roots and the astringent action of Lemon prevents dandruff.

Key Ingredients:

Henna - colorant, hair conditioner & restorative
Amla - hair nourishment, delays graying & hair fall
Harar - protects from UV rays, delays graying
Bahera - maintains hair color
Neem - anti-microbial, fights dandruff & hair fall
Brahmi - hair vitalizer
Kapur Kachari - antiseptic
Lemon Oil - astringent, fights dandruff, controls sebum flow
Coconut Oil - promotes hair growth & nourishment
Cow's Milk - natural nourishment for scalp & roots

♦️♦️♦️ Contains NO Mineral Oil!! ♦️♦️♦️
"

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4818798

This is what I do ...
I mix the Brahmi powder with hot water and let it sit for 15-20 minutes while I shampoo
my hair. I shampoo because conditioning washes alone don't seem to clean my hair and scalp with my hair butter mixture I apply. I apply shampoo to my hair when it's dry
rather than wet so it works up a lather faster. I shampoo twice. Then I towel blot my hair and section it off. I then apply the Brahmi mixture to my sectioned off hair and watch my curls clump as I apply it. I leave on the mixture (45 minutes - 3 hours maximum, since I left it on that long this past Saturday). I put on a plastic cap so it won't drip and for a deep conditioning. I then rinse out the mixture in the shower with plain water. Then once it is all rinsed out, I apply my Aussie Moist conditioner mixed with a little Head & Shoulders for Dry hair conditioner, and place on my plastic cap. I shower/bathe and then when I am nearly
finished showering/bathing, I take off the cap and rinse out the conditioner. I then towel blot and style my hair with unrefined shea butter, unrefined coconut oil, Black Jamaican castor oil and a dab of Nature's Blessings. I normally do braid outs or 2 strand twists. I wear my hair in a bun in the back and a braid out/twist out in the front.
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 30th March 2010, 4:24 pm

agore07 wrote:Hi,

I'm new to the site, but so grateful to find ya'll !

I was wondering I did my first powders a few days ago, some Alma, Brahmi and Maka Bhringraj Powders, oh and the Vadika oil and warm distilled water , ok so right and my hair is sooo dry, I did a DC with some of Oyin's Honey Hemp Conditioner and Jamican Castor oil, then I sealed with some melted shea butter and coconut oil. and pulled my hair in a pony in hopes to trim my ends the next day, well, my hair was so dry. I don't know if mixing the powders caused this. I didn't measure. I had more of the Maka Bhringraj more than any. This is my first time so I'm not for sure which one is best in just promoting strength. I want to Henna but now I am so scurred from the drying.

So my question is this,

Should I pre-poo with oil or anything else prior to doing the powders ?

Should I just use one powder at a time ?

I kept it on for an hour, is this too long ?

I'm a bit discouraged about all of this at this point.

You should ALWAYS pre-poo with an oil before applying Ayurvedic powders (that is how they are used by Indian people--by always applying coconut oil to hair first). The oil protects the hair from being too dried out by the powders--so I'd say thagt was the major factor.
I did a similar mix--Maka Bhringraj (3 tbsp, as Maka is a moisturizing powder), Amla (2tbsp), Shikakai (1 tbsp, as it's known the be the most drying powder). I put coconut oil on my hair for an hour+ before applying the mud to my hair. My hair was very moisturized, soft and strong after. Then I deep condition & style as usual.

So always oil before your powders even if you're just doing a tea rinse with your powders. The oil pre-poo is key!
Using 3-4 powders is usually just fine--research what each powder does and use the powders with the benefits that your hair needs. You can even find premixed powders with more in their mix.... but I'd say with your own mixes stick 4 or less.

Here is more info stressing the importance of the oil pre-poo and other great info on powders: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194049

I hope you have more success with it next time!!! Smile
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 30th March 2010, 5:10 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:I did my first henna treatment Tuesday night. Overall I am satisfied. It was super easy. I made a mess but had fun while doing it. It was fun trying something new and different. But my color didn't come out as planned. It is a little lighter than I would have liked so I will try again to get it a deeper brown, almost black/warm black. At least the gray hair is covered though. I am lovin' me some henna right about now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

100g Yemen henna
juice of 2 fresh squeezed oranges
approx. 1/4c water

I let that sit overnight and then I mixed my indigo and mixed the two together.

Here are my results.

Before:

After:

Your henna came out really nice!! I usually mix with Lemon Juice...I will try Orange Juice next, I heard it's less drying.
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 30th March 2010, 5:33 pm

Jonezy wrote:You should ALWAYS pre-poo with an oil before applying Ayurvedic powders (that is how they are used by Indian people--by always applying coconut oil to hair first). The oil protects the hair from being too dried out by the powders--so I'd say thagt was the major factor.
I did a similar mix--Maka Bhringraj (3 tbsp, as Maka is a moisturizing powder), Amla (2tbsp), Shikakai (1 tbsp, as it's known the be the most drying powder). I put coconut oil on my hair for an hour+ before applying the mud to my hair. My hair was very moisturized, soft and strong after. Then I deep condition & style as usual.

So always oil before your powders even if you're just doing a tea rinse with your powders. The oil pre-poo is key!
Using 3-4 powders is usually just fine--research what each powder does and use the powders with the benefits that your hair needs. You can even find premixed powders with more in their mix.... but I'd say with your own mixes stick 4 or less.

Here is more info stressing the importance of the oil pre-poo and other great info on powders: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194049

I hope you have more success with it next time!!! Smile
Jonezy, I never oil pre-poo before applying Brahmi. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But then again, I pack in my shea butter infused mix daily so my hair is conditioned all week long with oils.
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by agore07 30th March 2010, 10:31 pm

@ Jonezy Should I pre-poo with the Vatika oil or just my coconut oil, I thought the Vatika was made to use with the powders, so I mixed it in, but I will use that as a pre-poo instead, but I really don't plan on ordering anymore, so is it cool, to just pre-poo with coconut oil instead ? and should I rinse it out or leave it in afterwards, envizionj said to use the Vatika oil alone, but didn't mention if I should rinse it out before the powders.
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonezy 31st March 2010, 2:24 am

agore07 wrote:@ Jonezy Should I pre-poo with the Vatika oil or just my coconut oil, I thought the Vatika was made to use with the powders, so I mixed it in, but I will use that as a pre-poo instead, but I really don't plan on ordering anymore, so is it cool, to just pre-poo with coconut oil instead ? and should I rinse it out or leave it in afterwards, envizionj said to use the Vatika oil alone, but didn't mention if I should rinse it out before the powders.

You can pre-poo with your Vatika--or whatever oil your prefer. Make sure you saturate the hair and let it sit atleast and hour--cover with a plastic cap or silk scarf...Do not rinse the oil before applying your powder mix.
Jonezy
Jonezy

http://www.bleucoiffure.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nbella 5th April 2010, 7:47 pm

Today was my first time trying Henna. I used the Jamila with green tea and honey. MY hair was supper dry and didn't color at all. After I DCed and used Uncle Funky's daughter my hair feels better.

How long should I wait to try another henna? I really want my hair to be in the reddish family. I bought Nikhar. The lady at the store said that it would turn my hair red. Thoughts?
nbella
nbella

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 6th April 2010, 1:41 pm

nbella, what is your hair color before hennaing, and where did you purchase your Jamila henna? I hennaed with Jamila on Saturday and my hair was very soft when I washed it out and added conditioner/shampoo/conditioner. If your hair color is black, you won't see any color unless you have gray roots. Now standing in the sun, your hair will give a reddish glow, and indoors it will look black

I have never heard of Nikhar.

envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by nbella 6th April 2010, 6:03 pm

envizionj: I purchased it from an Indian grocery store. It looked like all of the boxes that I have seen on this forum.

Currently my hair is growing out color. My roots are an dark brown and the tips are highlighted. What did you mix your henna with? And how long should I wait to re-henna?

thanks
nbella
nbella

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 7th April 2010, 1:06 am

I have seen those Jamila boxes at the Indian Grocers, but I was a little weary of purchasing them at $1.49 - $1.99 since they don't have an expiration date on the bottom of the box. The Jamila Summer 2009 Crop has an expiration date of May 2012.
See bottom of box here ...

Here is a link explaining the difference in boxed Jamila with the date stamp and without...
http://hennablogspot.com/giving-back-to-the-community-jamila-henna/

I now mix my henna with water, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice or orange juice, 25 grams of Amla and a teaspoon of cloves to help camouflage the smell.

You may henna as often as you like since it is made up of natural plant leaves -- weekly, every 2 weeks, monthly, etc. Since it is time consuming, most of us henna every 2 weeks or monthly
. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrchild 7th April 2010, 3:10 pm

If someone could answer this question I would really appreciate it. I used henna last night and I have the perfect color for my hair. It is a copper color which I love. My question is, how do I maintain this color? I know henna grows out and eventually I will have to reapply to the roots, but I also know that some of you ladies henna every week or twice a month. What is the reason for that? I thought the conditioning effects last up to a month and if you henna to often, will if effect or alter ther color you have? like make it even darker or redder? I want my color to stay as is, but I also want the continued effects of the henna. I hope all this makes since!!!! thanks so much!!!!!

Starrchild

Back to top Go down

Post by nbella 7th April 2010, 8:53 pm

envizionj: Thank you much! That is the box that I used. I think I will purchase my next henna from the online store that everyone talks about on this thread. Today my hair feels alot better than it did on the first day.

Thanks
nbella
nbella

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 7th April 2010, 11:16 pm

nbella, you are welcome. Glad your hair is better. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There are several online stores that sell henna. I get my henna from the Butter Queen at Butters-N-Bars
http://butters-n-bars.com/henna4hair.html The products are fresh and the shipping is fast. Also, if you place "curlynikki" in the coupon code area, you will get an additional 10% off your order. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by jjleo 14th April 2010, 1:36 am

oooop2 wrote:I used to use henna every 10 days, but noticed that my hair was feeling a bit too dry, so I change to change my regime. I now use it once every 2-3months.

Here is my HENNA stash...LOL

Purchased all while living in Japan. Haven't noticed a difference in quality between any of my hennas.

My mix is simple.

In 2 cups hot, I add 2 teabags of green tea and let brew. Once cool, I open 1 of my henna boxes and slowly stir into the 2 cups of green tea. I then add 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup olive oil. My mix ends up being the consistency of thick soup. I like it this way b/c it's easier to rinse out of my hair.

Hair with henna:

I let it sit on my hair for about 1hr. Then I rinse until water is clear. After, I apply cheapo condish like Suave and saturate my entire head with it. I make sure to massage my scalp and hair then rinse. I do this about 3 times. I then apply my DC condish t/o hair and place hair in about 10 chucky twist. Once hair is twist, I grab my shower comb, untwist 1 twist at a time, detangle, then retwist. I don't rinse this out.

I DC for about 30min. Then I rinse hair twisted. I then squeeze out the excess water and apply some leave in condish.

I then untwist 1 twist at a time and apply my shea mix to hair and retwist, this time going from 10 to 20. Once mix has been added to hair, I tie with silk scarf.

And in the morning, I untwist....Here is my finished style.

I just noticed that your henna doesn't seem to add color or is it just the lighting?
jjleo
jjleo

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 19th April 2010, 11:23 am

veggiegirl314 wrote:My mix:

100g Reshma Henna
about 1 cup of green tea
about 5 tablespoons honey

Reshma henna usually releases color quickly, so I apply it right to my hair and leave it in (with a heating cap) for 5 to 6 hours or overnight. The next morning, I rinse, deep condition, and that's it! I LOVE henna!

Where can i order Reshma Henna from. I have looked and cant seem to find it. Thanks
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 4th May 2010, 3:41 pm

Ok curlies! I'm really anxious to try my first henna treatment. My hair is jet black! Is it even worth trying? I do like my jet black color, but wouldn't mind a little hit of color, too. Suggestions?
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 5th May 2010, 5:56 pm

CG would you be doing it solely for the color benefits? If so I'd say don't waste your time sis lol. If your hair is jet black its highly unlikely that you'll notice a difference my dear. Check out the site hennaforhair.com. There is an ebook that is soooooooo helpful. Smile
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by carlaface 5th May 2010, 6:06 pm

omg i am loving this thread!!! everyone's hair looks gorgeous; it makes me want to henna so bad!

but... i colored my hair with naturtint hair dye about a week ago... right now it's a brownish/reddish color (i was hoping for it to be more bronze, but i like it anyway!) so here's my question: if i henna, will it get darker? i don't mind getting a lighter red, but i don't want to go back to the color i had before! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

i really want to soften and strengthen my curls though. sigh. any help is much appreciated!

carlaface

Back to top Go down

Post by Blex 11th May 2010, 12:00 am

How often can you henna? Is there a certain amt of time you should wait bw each henna?
Blex
Blex

Back to top Go down

Submit Your Mix and a Picture - Page 7 Empty my henna mix

Post by qshukura 15th May 2010, 11:31 am

This is after monthly henna treatments since December 2009. My first henna mix was Jamila Summer crop 2009 with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar; however, my last mix in April 2010 was Jamila Summer crop 2009 with coconut milk and organic yoghurt.
qshukura
qshukura

Back to top Go down

Post by MicaiahTy 17th May 2010, 1:11 pm

Ok, I did my first henna this past weekend.

I made a video of everything on my youtube site:
www.youtube.com/micaiahty

I used alma too, this is a twist and curl (a new hairstyle for me)

my roots are normally white but i still love the outcome. in the sun, it is beautiful.
MicaiahTy
MicaiahTy

https://www.youtube.com/micaiahty

Back to top Go down

Post by MicaiahTy 17th May 2010, 2:26 pm

JJleo,

I bought some of that Afshan Henna you have, how was it?
MicaiahTy
MicaiahTy

https://www.youtube.com/micaiahty

Back to top Go down

Post by gennatay 30th May 2010, 11:14 am

I doing a henna treatment right now for the first time. This is what used:

Nupor Henna
Hesh Alma
2 Green Tea Bags
Coconut Oil

I placed the tea bags in hot water and let it sit for 5 minutes. I mixed the water and henna with 2 tablespoons of alma and let it sit for 20mins. I then added 2 1/2 table spoons of coconut oil.

I put the mixture in like I was giving myself a relaxer. I am going to let it sit on my hair for about 6-8 hours. I thought this was best since I'm not going anywhere today.

I'll come back with results.
gennatay
gennatay

http://lifeamateur.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next