CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Submit Your Mix and a Picture

+79
gennatay
MicaiahTy
qshukura
Blex
carlaface
CurlsGalore
summerbreeze76
jjleo
nbella
CocoEuro
agore07
LaToya28
Starrchild
envizionj
BrownSkinDiva
YLONDA
metrocntry girl
DvaAuNaturel
poeticlyspkng
AimWard
BohoStreet
Superfly Sister
nulynaturalali
FemmeFox
Tiffy2
FritterFritter
laleepop14
CurlyLadyButler
angelic7
naturalhonney
RoseNaturalBeauty
Mrs. Hudson
Jonezy
TheBeautifulSaffiyahO.
cdawnlujan
Sunflower
JennikaDe'Nae
soulsearch72
Maricopa
asanterochelle
BajanPrincess82
Freestyles
curlyamazon
Mimi
TerraD
wild_honey
.:Eden:.
jlowman1
TaSiaJaY
xtremelyperfect
oooop2
TerriB92
vonda4b
TinyLissa
nalena
mml
islandfilly
beauTifulcurls
Curlytrini87
LuvMeLuvMyFro
RandRlove
NylaCoils
curlykinkynfrizzy
CarlsM
loveself247
ohnatural
natural83
MixedStraightUp
laughlovelivelife
WarriorPrincess
rebelrocks
AfrikanLatina
lexi1
AhhMazeIngTrini
JoyCurl
veggiegirl314
gammainme
leightred
*CurlyNikki*
83 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Submit Your Mix and a Picture - Page 6 Empty Re: Submit Your Mix and a Picture

Post by Superfly Sister 5th March 2010, 4:30 pm

I'm so glad I read this thread! brillant information and such wonderful results! I hope to be able to contribute tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Superfly Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by BohoStreet 8th March 2010, 6:57 pm

I have very dark hair and have been itching to try henna but am fearful that I'll need to bleach it first. I don't want a rinse look. I want a color. Reddish tones work for me. Does anyone have any recipe combos to share for creating a deep red (not burgundy) look?
BohoStreet
BohoStreet

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 11th March 2010, 4:38 am

My henna mix:

Henna/Indigo bundle from Mehandi.com for African hair
1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
Distilled water
nothing else

I squeeze the lemon into a cup of distilled water and taste. If it makes me suck my cheeks and squeeze my eyes shut, I know it's acidic enough. If not, I add more lemon. I mix the lemon water with the henna and let sit about 12-14 hours.

The night before I henna, I detangle, wash with Jessicurl Gentle lather poo, and condition. The next day I apply the henna, wrap with a Target plastic bag and wait 4 hours. I rinse the henna out, mix the indigo with distilled water, apply, wrap my head in a wal-mart plastic bag, wait 1 hour then rinse.

My natural hair color is sort of a dusty dark brown with a few grays sprinkled along my hair line (I've been gray since I was a child). The henna/indigo makes my hair a nice, soft, natural black.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by AimWard on 11th March 2010, 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 11th March 2010, 1:41 pm

Boho- why would you need to bleach first? I henna and my hair is a reddish tone in the sun, but looks pretty dark inside. I know some people mix with cinnamon for more reddish brown coloring. Hopefully one of those ladies will comment. Good luck!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Submit Your Mix and a Picture - Page 6 Empty honey & egg?

Post by BohoStreet 11th March 2010, 1:47 pm

Naturalhonney: Why would one add egg, honey, and jojoba oil to your henna mix?
Poetic: you're right. I don't need bleach. I actually don't want a noticeable color in my hair. I just want it to be jet black. I don't know about the indigo part though so I'm wondering if I need indigo in order for my hair to turn jet black.

naturalhonney wrote:I used

Herbal Henna
Lemon Juice
Honey
One egg
EVOO
Jojoba oil

I kept this on for 3hrs DC overnight and rinsed out in the morning, I then applied my Cantu Shea Butter as my leave in. Didn't get the color I was looking for but will watch for a day or two for changes. My hair is very soft!

BohoStreet
BohoStreet

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 11th March 2010, 2:20 pm

Yes, the indigo will make it jet black. Henna does not lighten but can give a reddish tint.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 11th March 2010, 7:28 pm

I did my first henna treatment Tuesday night. Overall I am satisfied. It was super easy. I made a mess but had fun while doing it. It was fun trying something new and different. But my color didn't come out as planned. It is a little lighter than I would have liked so I will try again to get it a deeper brown, almost black/warm black. At least the gray hair is covered though. I am lovin' me some henna right about now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

100g Yemen henna
juice of 2 fresh squeezed oranges
approx. 1/4c water

I let that sit overnight and then I mixed my indigo and mixed the two together.

Here are my results.

Before:

After:

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 13th March 2010, 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correct text)
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 11th March 2010, 7:31 pm

@AimWard....love your henna color. I think I will try to do darker next time...not quite black black...but brown black, Your curls look fabulous.

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 12th March 2010, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct text)
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 12th March 2010, 3:38 pm

Hello All :-) Ok. I did my first henna yesterday. I applied it (after letting it sit overnight) at about 12:30p.m and rinsed it out at about 8:30p.m. I deep conditioned under the dryer for about 30min. I applied my mix of Shea Butter, Coconut Oil and a lil bit of honey. I don't really see a change. I already have soft hair to begin with, I noticed it felt a little more silkier but still no shine. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or if it will just take a few times of doing Henna for it to show a difference? I notice a lot of people notice changes right away...I followed the instrunctions from Butters N Bars. Any advice ladies?
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 12th March 2010, 8:06 pm

Mrs. Hudson, it's funny you say that. I don't notice any difference in my hair either other than the color. I was thinking it was a little softer or fuller or something - anything since everyone else talks about how they instantly see a change. I am thinking that maybe after a few treatments it'll be more noticeable.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by BohoStreet 13th March 2010, 12:33 am

FritterFritter: Your cat picture is cute!!
BohoStreet
BohoStreet

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 13th March 2010, 2:11 am

DvaAuNaturel wrote:@AimWard....love your henna color. I think I will try to do darker next time...not quite black black...but brown black, Your curls look fabulous.

Thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by metrocntry girl 13th March 2010, 4:57 am

My first henna was 6 days ago. It was a 1/2 Jamilla 2009 henna, 1/2 indigo mix (50g. of each) and I basically followed CurlyNikki's method. I used green tea instead of lemon juice, and added only 1 Tbsp honey. I'm trying to condition my hair but if I can cover the grays naturally that would be great. I did the indigo mix because I didn't want orange roots, but that's still what I got.

I'll try to post pics below showing the orange gray roots. I'd been coloring my hair with a commericial dye prviously so it may be hard to see the difference in the gray and the natural. Some of my gray was actually resistant to even the henna so I have a mixture of gray, orange and brown hair. Tomorrow I'm going to just try the two part rinse, first henna, then indigo for a darker more natural color, I hope.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/14/92/88/88/hennae10.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/14/92/88/88/hennae11.jpg
metrocntry girl
metrocntry girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Hudson 14th March 2010, 1:38 am

@ DvaAuNaturel yeah I'm with you, I was expecting soo much more because that's all I ever hear. I won't give up yet though. I'm going to try at least 4 or 5 times.
Mrs. Hudson
Mrs. Hudson

Back to top Go down

Post by YLONDA 18th March 2010, 12:40 pm

I'm on my 4th month of using henna. I wanted to try indigo but I haven't gotten up the courage, but to my suprise you can't see the henna color unless I'm in a really bright light. If I'm in a regular setting it still looks black.

I use 100g of Jamila henna, 4 bags of green tea, coconut milk and 2 drops of honey. The past 4 months I've let it sit 12 hours and then applied it and let it sit for an additional 2 hours.

In the bathroom with Hollywood lights

In regular light

I like the results. Henna stretches it out my hair but makes it thicker. My curls have became loose but I guess thats just part of it. I like the pros over the cons so I will keep using it.
YLONDA
YLONDA

HTTP://2BLESSEDAKA.BLOGSPOT.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 24th March 2010, 9:04 am

i heart this thread i wanna try henna ASAP!!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 25th March 2010, 3:50 am

YLONDA wrote:I'm on my 4th month of using henna. I wanted to try indigo but I haven't gotten up the courage, but to my suprise you can't see the henna color unless I'm in a really bright light. If I'm in a regular setting it still looks black.

I use 100g of Jamila henna, 4 bags of green tea, coconut milk and 2 drops of honey. The past 4 months I've let it sit 12 hours and then applied it and let it sit for an additional 2 hours.

In the bathroom with Hollywood lights

In regular light

I like the results. Henna stretches it out my hair but makes it thicker. My curls have became loose but I guess thats just part of it. I like the pros over the cons so I will keep using it.
Henna stretches out the hair because it is applied thick like a relaxer and really coats the hair strands. ButterQueen mentioned somewhere in one of these posts that if you incorporate 25 grams of Amla http://heshpharma.com/gifs/amla-powder1.jpg in your mix, your curls should bounce back over time. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] "Hesh"
Amla Powder

Dark and Healthy Hair Naturally

Hesh Amla Powder has the following advantages:

- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair fall
- Cures scalp infection
- Controls premature graying of hair

I use Brahmi
http://heshpharma.com/gifs/brahmi-powder1.jpg in between hennaing for curl definition. I mix 1/2 a bag with warm water into a soupy consistency, not thick like henna, then let the mixture sit for 15-20 minutes, then apply to my hair like henna. My curls start to clump and wave during the application. I then put on my conditioning cap. I leave on the Brahmi for 30 minutes - 2 hours if I'm caught up with housework. I then wash out with plain water, then add some conditioner and leave on for about 5 minutes or more, wash out, towel blot, add my shea butter mixture and style. The result is defined, thick, soft curls. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Hesh"
Brahmi Powder

Ayurveda's most potent hair vitalizer

Hesh Brahmi Powder has the following advantages:

- Cools the scalp and induces sound sleep
- Controls dandruff
- Makes hair long, dark, Dense & lustrous
- Strengthens hair roots

envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 25th March 2010, 7:53 am

AimWard wrote:My henna mix:

My natural hair color is sort of a dusty dark brown with a few grays sprinkled along my hair line (I've been gray since I was a child). The henna/indigo makes my hair a nice, soft, natural black.

Your hair is gorgeous!!
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrchild 25th March 2010, 11:42 am

Hello everyone!! I'm new to this site and I love it!! I have a question, I will be using henna this weekend (Jamilla) can I mix it with coconut milk only? This is what I planned to do. Mix with coconut milk and apply to my hair. Since it has a slow dye release, I was gonna leave it on over night and let it work and rinse the next day. Do you guys think this will be ok?

Starrchild

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 25th March 2010, 11:52 am

Starrchild, check out the following posts for more information on coconut milk and henna ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/henna-f1/henna-and-green-tea-t2807.htm

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/henna-f1/my-first-henna-a-henna-and-indigo-mix-t2629.htm [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrchild 25th March 2010, 12:18 pm

Great infomation!! @ envizionj that is excatly what I was searching for!! Thanks!!!

Starrchild

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 26th March 2010, 3:03 am

BohoStreet wrote:Naturalhonney: Why would one add egg, honey, and jojoba oil to your henna mix?
Poetic: you're right. I don't need bleach. I actually don't want a noticeable color in my hair. I just want it to be jet black. I don't know about the indigo part though so I'm wondering if I need indigo in order for my hair to turn jet black.

naturalhonney wrote:I used

Herbal Henna
Lemon Juice
Honey
One egg
EVOO
Jojoba oil

I kept this on for 3hrs DC overnight and rinsed out in the morning, I then applied my Cantu Shea Butter as my leave in. Didn't get the color I was looking for but will watch for a day or two for changes. My hair is very soft!

@ Bohostreet I added the egg for protein, the honey because its a humectant and it draws out impurities and the oil to combat dryness b/c henna is very drying. I like to play with different products when I mix my henna but decided not to add the egg my hair doesn't seem to like protein. But I use honey and oil in my deep condish as well.
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 29th March 2010, 7:33 pm

3.5 TBsp of Jamila henna
1 capful of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp of cinnamon
100% coconut water (couldn't find coconut milk) I used enough to get the consistency I wanted, covered the bowl with saran wrap and let it sit for about 13 hours.

This was my first henna experience. I shampooed my hair with Suave daily clarifying shampoo then applied the henna mix. I covered my hair with a plastic cap then put a towel turban over it. I let it sit for 4.5 hours. It didn't harden and it was pretty easy to wash out. My hair is not dried out, but the smell is lingering even after a few cowashes. Hopefully the smell will go away after my overnight DC.

I love the color I got from the henna. I want to do it a few more times to see if I get better results. Here are my results, but the pics really don't do it justice. You can see a lot of color in the sun.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maricopa 29th March 2010, 8:31 pm

@ LaToya28 love the color, did it get any darker after a couple of days? I am looking to acheive something similar.
Maricopa
Maricopa

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 29th March 2010, 9:16 pm

Maricopa wrote:@ LaToya28 love the color, did it get any darker after a couple of days? I am looking to acheive something similar.

Thanks Maricopa! I just did it today, so I'll see how it changes over the next few days.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next