CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To cut or not to cut...this is the question?!

+4
natural_nance
natural813
Muz
mixedchic08
8 posters

Go down

To cut or not to cut...this is the question?! Empty To cut or not to cut...this is the question?!

Post by mixedchic08 18th March 2010, 3:53 pm

OK ladies, so I'm soooo frustrated!!! I have been transitioning for about 9 months now. I've got about 3 to 4 inches of natural hair, and another 4 to 5 inches of relaxed hair attached to it. I have been hanging on, for dear life, to the relaxed hair so as not to sacrifice length, but now I'm noticing A LOT of breakage. I've done some research, and I see that my method of transitioning (wash, blow dry, flat iron and wrap) isn't the best...in fact it's probably the worst! I was clueless, never did any research on the subject until I started noticing my hair all over the pillow every morning, and now I feel like I'm at a fork in the road. I feel like I either need to bite the bullet, cut off the relaxed hair, or just perm it and forget about the whole natural thing completely! I have an appointment with my hair dresser on Saturday, and I just don't know what I want to do! I lust for the healthy, beautiful, long curly/wavy hair that I naturally have as a biracial woman, but do I really wanna do the short thing to get there? Some of my girlfriends say yes, some say no, and my boyfriend is REALLY opposed to the cutting. HELP! I'm so confused!

mixedchic08

Back to top Go down

To cut or not to cut...this is the question?! Empty Re: To cut or not to cut...this is the question?!

Post by Muz 18th March 2010, 3:59 pm

You don't have to cut it all off if you don't want to. Just get your ends trimmed if you aren't ready to BC, and after that start taking care of all of your hair like it's natural and you'll be good to go Smile
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

To cut or not to cut...this is the question?! Empty Re: To cut or not to cut...this is the question?!

Post by natural813 18th March 2010, 6:43 pm

I say just get it over with and cut. You have to do it eventually anyways. Good luck.
natural813
natural813

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 18th March 2010, 8:41 pm

I would say do what you feel you're ready for, if you think it's time to BC then go for it! If you do decide to not cut you should try finishing the rest of your transition without so much direct heat. Good luck!
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 18th March 2010, 9:56 pm

mixedchic08 wrote: I lust for the healthy, beautiful, long curly/wavy hair that I naturally have as a biracial woman, but do I really wanna do the short thing to get there? Some of my girlfriends say yes, some say no, and my boyfriend is REALLY opposed to the cutting. HELP! I'm so confused!

If you naturally have the type of hair you want, it seems your decision should be pretty easy.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KoKo 9th April 2010, 10:47 pm

mixedchic08 I feel your pain I have been transitioning for 8 months. I am used to long hair! I bought a Deman brush (buy it at Sally's) that helps to detangle my hair use it with a conditioner in it and have it soaking wet there is a conditioner you can get at Walgreens that can be used as a leave in its by Organix "nourishing coconut milk conditioner. I haven't Bc'd I was supposed to today and I chickened out! You are not alone girl we can do this dont perm! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Try a HOT oil treatment....there are tons of sites that can inform you on your new hair journey I had to realize that the products I used while relaxed isn't gonna work in this season of transitioning.
this site helped me
and
www.tightlycurly.com

Last edited by KoKo on 9th April 2010, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
KoKo
KoKo

http://pamelakorenn@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karameldiva1978 9th April 2010, 11:19 pm

I agree with not cutting it now. If you were ready to BC, you wouldn't have to ask for anyone's opinion. I think you should buy yourself some time. Four months is a lot of work if you back track and then decide next week you made the wrong decision. I would schedule an appointment to protective style--braids or a sew-in and give yourself another 2 months to decide without the hassle of the textures. Take of your hair in the process by moisturizing and keeping your scalp clean and you will be pleasantly surprised at what your hair looks like from good care.
Karameldiva1978
Karameldiva1978

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 17th April 2010, 9:22 am

Don't give up on having the gorgeous natural hair of your dreams! You can do it!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down