CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Joys of Transitioning

+11
kitkat
kdenise
Peachtree
marbar1908
neethair
HAMPTONSFNST
curLEIGH
natural_nance
TiffNotANY
Butterfly126
Muz
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Joys of Transitioning Empty The Joys of Transitioning

Post by Muz 9th March 2010, 2:59 pm

The further I get into my transition, the more rewarding I find the experience. I still am getting anxious to BC, but I'm going to wait out my year. Anywhoo, I was setting my hair after washing it (I'm doing bantu-knots, but I'm twisting them first, something I don't normally do) and I saw this part after putting my products on it, and I had to take a picture and share. I sooooooo can't wait to do WNGs. Only a couple more months to go!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm not pulling here, so the curls aren't stretched. Days like this I love my hair!

So what has been your hair joy lately?
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Joys of Transitioning Empty Re: The Joys of Transitioning

Post by Butterfly126 9th March 2010, 3:35 pm

WOW!!! Thats a good amount of growth you got there! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] My last relaxer was in January so I only have an inch or so of new growth but I can't wait until its as long as yours. Your natural hair looks so much healthier than the relaxed hair. What do you use?
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by TiffNotANY 9th March 2010, 3:40 pm

I love seeing the progression of others while I'm still in the beginning. =)
It's so pretty.
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 9th March 2010, 3:41 pm

@ Butterfly Usually Aussie Moist Hair Insurance Leave-in, Castor Oil mixed with a little Jojoba Oil, and ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion. Sometimes I'll use some raw shea butter, but not lately.

I like to DC with ORS Replenishing Conditioner and Castor Oil, but the last couple of times I over-night DC'd with a mixture of Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Raw Honey, and Olive Oil.

@Dukes Thanks!
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 9th March 2010, 4:11 pm

My hair joy is finally being able to style my hair without the "terrible two's" fustrating me! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm actually at a point now where the fact that I'm transitioning doesn't even bother me, not sure now when I'll do the BC.
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 9th March 2010, 4:32 pm

For some reason the two textures didn't really bug me as far as being difficult. Lately I've come to think my permed ends are really ugly ~lol~ I'm even at the point when I unconsciously scowl when I see perm commercials on TVOne Laughing
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by curLEIGH 11th March 2010, 10:50 am

Gorgeous hair, Muz! And kudos for transitioning for so long. I know you said your hair wasn't stretched in the pic, but technically it may be. The relaxed ends are possibly making your curl pattern look more straightened/wavy. Possibly...I can't be certain since you know your hair better than me LOL. But that was my case; my new growth looked wavy when I had the permed ends, and then when I chopped I got these springy curls

<<<<<

So be prepared for your curls to change a bit once you BC. Good luck! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curLEIGH
curLEIGH

http://curleigh.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 11th March 2010, 11:14 am

Thanks for the compliment! By "not stretched", I meant not stretched all the way out to the point where it looks straight you can still kinda see the coiliness in the pic. LOL. But yeah I know when I cut it it's not going to look wavy, here's a pic of a small piece I cut in the front a couple of weeks ago

and here it is stretched

I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'm going to have serious shrinkage. LOL

My FB friends keep telling me to BC, and I keep telling them not until at least May. Laughing I set a goal and I'm determined to reach it Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 11th March 2010, 11:33 am

You have so much growth Muz and I'm glad you're committed to the goal you've set for your hair. I've been trans for 18 months and had planned to BC this month initially but changed to June and now it won't be until Septemeber on my 2yr. anniversary. I get excited too when I see those all natural coils in my hair.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 11th March 2010, 5:00 pm

Yeah, I don't think I could do 18 months, I wanna see my hair! LOL
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 11th March 2010, 11:22 pm

Muz-

Your hair looks great. We got our last perm the time and my new growth does not look like that (a lil green w/ envy) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by marbar1908 11th March 2010, 11:22 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:You have so much growth Muz and I'm glad you're committed to the goal you've set for your hair. I've been trans for 18 months and had planned to BC this month initially but changed to June and now it won't be until Septemeber on my 2yr. anniversary. I get excited too when I see those all natural coils in my hair.

If you see in my sig it says that I wanted to transition either until July (well I already made my BC appt) or wait until December (when I'd been 18 months) But, I'm a little nervous. Since you're transitioning for such a long period, have you had any noticeable breakage at the line of demarkation? How do you usually style your hair since a majority of it is Natural?

(sorry for the questions, but just in case I don't do July, I'll have an idea of what life is like to make it through 18 months).....
marbar1908
marbar1908

http://perilsofmylife.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th March 2010, 11:05 am

No prob Marbar,

I usually just wear TnCs and preserve this style at night by protecting my hair with bantu knots and a satin cap. I don't like to fuss over my hair and less manipulation is key. This style lasts until my next wash which is about every 4 days. I haven't really observed any breakage and I've noticed less hair in my wide tooth combs as I progress. Each time I wash I stretch my hair to see if it needs protein or moisture. I've been balanced as far as I can tell and I try to be gentle as possible but I will admit sometimes I do experience some knots when I take down my hair in the morning.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 12th March 2010, 1:03 pm

neethair wrote:Muz-

Your hair looks great. We got our last perm the time and my new growth does not look like that (a lil green w/ envy) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].

Thanks Smile What's your regimen? We might have different hair types (I don't know), but I can share mine Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by marbar1908 12th March 2010, 6:13 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:No prob Marbar,

I usually just wear TnCs and preserve this style at night by protecting my hair with bantu knots and a satin cap. I don't like to fuss over my hair and less manipulation is key. This style lasts until my next wash which is about every 4 days. I haven't really observed any breakage and I've noticed less hair in my wide tooth combs as I progress. Each time I wash I stretch my hair to see if it needs protein or moisture. I've been balanced as far as I can tell and I try to be gentle as possible but I will admit sometimes I do experience some knots when I take down my hair in the morning.

Thanks. I figure that even though I have in mind to do my BC in July... in case i chicken out (lol) I'll still have an option. I'm excited either way and I need to perfect this TnC because I try to do mine like CN, but I just can't get it...
marbar1908
marbar1908

http://perilsofmylife.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 26th March 2010, 4:15 am

Beautiful new growth ladies! I remember when I was on the boards postings these types of messages...that time surely flies by...enjoy ur journeys!!
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 26th March 2010, 11:49 am

@Marbar: Because I'm still transitiong and don't have the lenght of CN yet, I use gray perms rods to blend the two textures. Take a look at what it looks like before I unravel and fluff:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]]

[/url]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by kdenise 26th March 2010, 4:28 pm

Muz, you hair looks great!! It's good to see the progression of others! I'm 4 months into my transition and I'm enjoying it.

You said that you use castor oil w/ORS Olive oil condish, have you ever used any other oil with it? What is it that the castor oil does for your hair?? I'm trying to learn about the different oils and the benefits.
kdenise
kdenise

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 26th March 2010, 7:18 pm

I think it moisturizes my hair, but there's a thread on Nappurality that explains what all of the different oils do, and I'm pretty sure you can put just about any oil under the conditioner depending on your preferences.

Thank you for the compliment Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by kitkat 26th March 2010, 9:29 pm

Hello ladies! i am new to this site. I have been transitioning since October. I have shoulder length hair and want to know about how long it will take to transition. I wasn't contemplating a bc but maybe a small c lol. How long did it take those of you w/ shoulder length hair to transition?

kitkat

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 27th March 2010, 4:32 am

I started transitioning at shoulder length hair and I'm still transitioning after 19 months.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyFree 29th March 2010, 2:54 am

I am loving seeing my new growth..its so pretty & soft an just natural the way it should really be...ccan wait to see my new growth in 2 more months
BeautifullyFree
BeautifullyFree

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 3rd April 2010, 9:36 pm

Ohh Muz you got a lot of hair! ^-^

I can't wait to BC. My hair joy at the moment is the progress I've made. I feel like I've come such a long wayy and I've grown to love and embrace my hair. Makes me happy. I never really understand the texture change when you cut the relaxed ends off, but I'm about to go cut a piece right now, lmao!
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifullyFree 16th April 2010, 2:16 pm

BeautifullyFree
BeautifullyFree

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 16th April 2010, 5:55 pm

I'm counting down to the chop right about now, I think I'll be ready by the end of May Smile
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next