CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Transitioning...Help!

2 posters

Go down

New to Transitioning...Help! Empty New to Transitioning...Help!

Post by AmaiShokora 16th February 2011, 11:32 pm

Hi!

1 week ago today, after much much thought and talking it over with future hubby-to-be, I have decided to stop getting relaxers and to embrace my natural looks. I have decided not to do the 'Big Chop' since my last relaxer was mid-December and I'm not comfortable with cutting my hair off completely. I am ready to commit to getting my back to it's natural state, two textures and all, and I know it will not be a easy process. I came upon this site when searching for ways to transition w/o the BC and I am so glad I did! All the testimonials, helpful product advice, homemade products, and just overall support had me almost jumping in joy and almost in tears b/c this site has answered some of questions and fears and made me realized that it's all about trial and error. I have no family or friends that are naturals and when I tell them that I want to do this, they think I will only let my hair 'rest' then go back to a relaxer before my wedding so I won't have to wear braids or be bald...

Enough of my rambling, I have some questions:

1. Since I am new to transitioning, I planned on getting cornrows, w/ extentions, as part of my process. I have done this before while permed, kept my hair moisturized and very careful when taking them out a month later and came out with 3 extra inches after my deployment! Will this be good for my hair during this time of transitioning b/c of the weakness at the permed and natural point?

2. Products: Currently I am using KeraCare products (LOVE these products!) The Hydrating Shampoo Sulfate-free, (which works great for detangling), Humecto Creme Conditioner, and the Oil Moisturizer w/ Jojoba Oil. I just started using African Pride Olive Miracle Anti-breakage formula as a hot oil treatment, so can't really tell just yet. I need a deep conditioner and I have noticed that my new growth get dryer more quickly than my permed hair, should I change the products I'm using or would I need a new moisturizer?

3. Styles: My main thing is to keep my hair away from heat (except for deep conditions) But in between my letting my hair rest from the cornrows and getting them done again, what are good low maintenance, low stress styles I can use on short, still mostly straight, hair?

Those are all the questions I have for now and I'm really excited about all of this. I thank you all in advance for the advice and I can't wait for my journey to begin. Very Happy
AmaiShokora
AmaiShokora

Back to top Go down

New to Transitioning...Help! Empty Re: New to Transitioning...Help!

Post by tashacu02 17th February 2011, 12:56 pm

Welcome!

I'm 5 months post relaxer and it gets harder, so prepare yourself. But as for your questions, I will try my best to answer. I'm not a pro or anything, but I will tell you what I learned from my experiences.

1. It will be a trial and error thing (as with most things when transitioning) to see if it works for your hair. All of our hair is different and what may work on my hair may not work on another person's hair. I had senglease twist for about a month when I was 3 months post and it did great on my hair. My hair grew a lot during that month and I didn't have much shedding after I took them out. As a matter of fact, my hair is shedding the least it ever has now that I'm transitioning and I thought it would be the opposite. So like I said it all depends on your hair and it is in a fragile state but it may be stronger than you think.

2. I have realized that I need to change products as I get more new growth, but I'm already a product junkie so I'm trying to use what I have before I buy anything new. When I began transitioning I also started cowashing (washing with conditioner only) and this makes a huge a difference. I'm getting to the point where I need to start treating all of my hair as if it is natural. I currently use Aussie 3 min deep conditioner, I don't love it but it does the job and I'm going to use all of this before I try anything else or I may try to doctor that up with some EVOO, honey, or some type of other oils. I currently shampoo and deep condition twice a month and any other time, I cowash (usually twice a week) with Aussie moist conditioner which I loooovveee!!

3. I haven't used a blow dryer or a flat iron on my hair is about 4 months now. My go to style when all else fails, is a braid out. I just do about 5 or 6 cornrows at night, spray with a little leave in conditioner and take them down in the morning. I have also tried bantu knot outs but they don't work good on my hair. I also do roller sets and double flat twists when I want more curls. The more new growth I get, the harder it is to find something that works for my hair, but I'm trying to transition for a year so I keep trying different things.

I hope this helps. Like I said, I'm still very new to this but we all have to start from somewhere right??? Good luck and happy growing Smile
tashacu02
tashacu02

Back to top Go down

Post by AmaiShokora 17th February 2011, 1:23 pm

Thank you very much for the advice ^^ I did a bit of experimenting with a style, but with my hair being damaged and needing a trim, it didn't work out well to say the least lol. But I will keep trying (after the trim) and I might go for braids Smile

Thank you again and good luck to you also. Smile
AmaiShokora
AmaiShokora

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down