CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning - What to Use??

3 posters

Go down

Transitioning - What to Use?? Empty Transitioning - What to Use??

Post by Curlienurse 26th May 2010, 3:11 am

Hello CN Sisters,

I need some help BADLY!! I began transitioning just recently (Last relaxer - 3/26/10), and I don't know where to begin with maintaining and styling my own hair. I have always relied on salons. I have read on the forums about HEHH, shea butter, co-washing, KCCC, and ACV. Right now, I have coconut oil and headbands [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. I don't know the first thing to do, so I have some specific questions?

1. What are the key products I should buy right now (not sure of hair type, I'm still relaxed, so who knows)?
2. What is the first thing I should do with my hair now that I have about 2" of new growth?
3. Should I use shampoo at all?
4. What is a co-wash? When should I do one? How often?
5. Is it too soon to do the CG method or two strand twists since I am still relaxed?

I have a short bob right now.

Thanks so much!!!!

Curlienurse

Back to top Go down

Transitioning - What to Use?? Empty Re: Transitioning - What to Use??

Post by Tmochava 26th May 2010, 11:07 am

Hey Curlienurse, I've been transitioning for 11 months now and it hasn't been that bad for me. If you find that you are having a hard time with your hair, which I do every now and then, then opt for protective styles such as braid or twist extensions.

The type of products you should buy should be the same type of products you were using when you were relaxed. A shampoo if you choose to shampoo, a conditioner, a deep conditioner, a moisturizer, any oils for sealing in moisture, and a styling agent. I can't tell you what exact products to use because you will have to find what works for your hair based on trial and error. I've found 3 staple products and I am still in search for a great moisturizing shampoo.

If you want to shampoo or not, that is a decision you will have to make. Some curlies do and some curlies don't. I do and its because I like shampooing my hair. I like a lather and for my hair to feel clean.

The first thing you should do to your hair is to continue to take care of it, I treat my hair as if it is fully natural because that is the most important and the relaxed ends will be chopped off eventually.

A co-wash is washing your hair with conditioner only and I opt not to do that, it irritates my scalp.

Like I said, this is a trial and error process. You have to try things out in order to see what works for your hair. Good Luck! Wink
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlienurse 27th May 2010, 4:19 pm

Thanks Tmochava! I went to Target and lost my mind yesterday. I bought some Kimble Bounce Back Curl Revitalizer (thumbs down), Tresemme condish, HEHH, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in, L'Oreal Sulfate-free shampoo, and coconut oil. So far, so good.

Curlienurse

Back to top Go down

Post by jadore04 27th May 2010, 9:21 pm

Hey CurlieNurse

You should try Giovanni deep moisture conditioner and Direct leave in conditioner they work so amazing for my transitioning hair!! I found them at marshalls but they are also at whole foods, vitamin shoppe, and tj maxx. Also you should try mixing together unrefined shea butter and essential oils(coconut oil, evoo, almond oil..etc) and using that as ur moisturizing after putting in your leave in.
jadore04
jadore04

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlienurse 27th May 2010, 10:29 pm

Good looking out overactiveimagination! I'll try that.

Curlienurse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down