CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning Newbie SOS

+8
curlytee
Cruzangirl30
feelinme
herlucidsKy
dajewel
cutephantasm
Cygnet
suesue710
12 posters

Go down

Transitioning Newbie SOS Empty Transitioning Newbie SOS

Post by suesue710 24th October 2009, 4:01 pm

please help.. first time transitioner here.. No products, no routine, no clue [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]..... Where are my natural divas?

suesue710

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Newbie SOS Empty Re: Transitioning Newbie SOS

Post by Cygnet 24th October 2009, 5:43 pm

Hi, Suesue, what are some of your specific questions? You probably will find at least some of your answers in other threads on this forum, but I'll help if I can.

Cygnet

Back to top Go down

Post by suesue710 24th October 2009, 7:06 pm

how many times should i wash my hair a week?

suesue710

Back to top Go down

Post by cutephantasm 24th October 2009, 8:02 pm

There is info on this on CurlyNikki's website...here is the direct link - http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/06/resource-for-newbies-and-transitioners.html =)
cutephantasm
cutephantasm

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 24th October 2009, 8:12 pm

hey, suesue!!! the best way to find out how many times to wash your hair is by experimenting. also, keep in mind the climate that you are living in. we all have varied products/regimes, and we got them by experimenting. don't feel overwhelmed because we are here to help!! keep in mind that you will good and bad days, but the end result will be amazing!!!! keep reaching!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 24th October 2009, 11:26 pm

Hi suesue! Patience, experimenting, research and finding the right technique that works for you will help you greatly.
Great products in my opinion are;
Aubrey organics GPB conditioner for light protein.
Aubrey organics white camellia ultra smoothing conditioner is the best at detangling. This will help a lot with the two different textures preventing you from losing lots of hair while detangling.
Unrefined Shea butter or Qhemet biologics Amla & Olive oil heavy cream. The best moisturizers!
Giovanni direct leave-in. You can try mixing it with water in a spray bottle, it works great that way also.
Giovanni 50:50 shampoo. This really cleans your hair without leaving it dry and brittle. I can actually finger comb with this.
Olive oil and coconut oil.

Best wishes to you on your hair journey [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 25th October 2009, 11:12 am

suesue,
the amount of time you wash you hair depends on how your hair responds and what products you use. Some product ingredients cause buildup and dryness over time if not washed out sooner so again, it all depends on how your hair responds to products and frequent washes. Some people dislike washing their hair frequently because it cause severe dryness so instead they cowash(wash with conditioner) some do this daily while others do it once a week. It all depends on what your hair can take. If you find that you need to wash with shampoo frequently then make sure it is a very good moisturizing shampoo that would not give you that overly dry squeaky clean feeling (unless you like that feeling, there are some folks that do). But I think using a clarifying conditioner instead would be helpful also.
Also, there are many people that wash their hair once a month and because of that, when they do wash they use a clarifying shampoo. So as i mentioned before, experimentation and research because some techniques that work for others may not necessarily work for your hair..each head is unique so do what works for you.
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Newbie SOS Empty I so feel you!

Post by feelinme 25th October 2009, 2:57 pm

Hello Suesue! I feel your pain. I have been in transition since Aug and I dont know what moisturizers or sealants to use, is a moisturizer the same as a conditioner...so on and so forth. I have had the worse time so far so I want to do the BC. I figure if Ima do this thing I might as well dive in. So I am tyring to get my natural hair to look healthier. I noticed I have like 3 textures of hair in my head. It is so crazy. How long have you been transitioning/natural.
feelinme
feelinme

Back to top Go down

Post by suesue710 25th October 2009, 3:58 pm

Hi Everyone... Im glad you guys are here to help... ( me, spayton, and other natural newbies ) .... I have been natural since April 09... Its been a challenge, but thats life in itself... I'm so loving the three textures in my head also... Society have the perception of beauty all WRONG... wigs, weaves, and relaxers is not what true beauty is...

suesue710

Back to top Go down

Post by Cygnet 25th October 2009, 7:20 pm

Suesue and spayton, if you ladies go over to curlynikki.com and do some digging, you will find not only some of the conditioners she has used as part of her routine, but you will also find a recent post she did about good moisturizers and stylers to use now that it's colder. The ones she says to shelve are good for summer, but they contain humectants, which we are advised to avoid during colder months and in less humid climates.

Cygnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruzangirl30 25th October 2009, 7:36 pm

Hi Suesue,

I feel you....I'm currently in my fifth month of transitioning. It's not easy. You have to experiment with different products, hairstyles and routines to find out what is best for your hair and your schedule. Check out curlynikki.com and you tube. You'll get lots of ideas.

Cruzangirl30

Back to top Go down

Post by suesue710 26th October 2009, 12:18 pm

Will do. thanks ladies ( FEMALE POWER ) lol

suesue710

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Newbie SOS Empty the best I can

Post by curlytee 5th November 2009, 9:34 pm

Hi SueSue, I to am new at this. everything is trail and error because everyones hair is different. as a newbie myself i have wash my hair twice in one day. (dont do it ) I just love playing in my hair watching the curls defining. When you get some some time check out curlynikki the tabs on the top of her website. like communtiy, videos, transitioners ect. there is some great information, stories and pictures. And, finally stay connected, as i will, with people you have things in common with
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 2nd December 2009, 1:48 pm

Hi everyone,

As previously mentioned our hair is not the same and it's best to research and experiment. I'm new to this site but have found all the info very helpful. Some basics you should know are: 1. Avoid sulfates, cones, and alcohol in the products you use.
2. Make sure your ends are always moisturized. Use braid sprays or H2O mixtures and seal with oils/butters like jojoba, olive or shea.
3. Wear protective styles.
4. BE PATIENT!

Discover what your hair likes and dislikes. This journey is all about trial and error for all of us. I'm glad we have resourceful websites like CN.com, blackhairmedia.com, longhaircareforum.com to educate and support one another. Happy Healthy Growing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Transitioning Newbie SOS Empty Transitioning

Post by Zumbalicious 10th December 2009, 1:00 pm

I am ashamed to say I did the BC about 2 years ago and I keep cutting my hair and wearing a texturizer because I am afriad of my natural HAIR TYPE. PLEASE HELP!! I am letting the texturizer grow out, but I did that once and my hair was so dry! I have tried so many different products. My cousin has natural hair and it is BEAUTIFUL! She uses MORROCAN HAIR OIL, anyone ever heard of it, or use it? I found a place on line to purchase it. Any suggestions
Zumbalicious
Zumbalicious

Back to top Go down

Post by dr.neely 10th December 2009, 8:19 pm

Do lots and lots of research. I'm a newbie too (only 1 month in) and I did the research before I started the process. Other natural sisters will tell you what products to use and how to keep your hair moisturized. Hello Hydration for co-washing is good, keep shea butter, jojoba oil and coconut oil on hand for moisturizing, and wear your hair in two-strand twists and roller sets to blend textures. Personally I am getting excited seeing wave patterns of new growth. I would recommend you stay way from heat. Hair grows best when left alone.
dr.neely
dr.neely

Back to top Go down

Post by KWi11R0CKU 13th December 2009, 11:31 pm

I am a newbie to the transition game. Went natural once before and I have come to the conclusion that natural is the only way for me. I have been using Keracare products to shampoo and wash my hair. I use Shea butter and coconut oil to moisturize my hair. I am almost two months into the transition game so we shall see....

KWi11R0CKU

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down