CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you transitioning with two textures?

+14
natural813
Krystality
MsIconic
msjakkia
p_nuttie43
natural_nance
lovelynika
traveljunkie08
nmoultry
lacesonia
MrsLambsWool
bevyboo628
Pi*Jay
loveself247
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are you transitioning with two textures? Empty Are you transitioning with two textures?

Post by loveself247 5th November 2009, 12:36 am

Ok, so my last chemical application was September 14, 2009. I have more chemically altered hair than my own natural hair. I'm not ready to do the Big Chop and I was wondering how are you ladies in my position getting through this process?

Are you going to wait till your natural hair grows out a certain length before doing your big chop?
Have any of you planned on a Big Chop date? How are you wearing your hair in the meantime as you transition?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Are you transitioning with two textures? Empty Re: Are you transitioning with two textures?

Post by Pi*Jay 5th November 2009, 1:05 am

I've never really been attached to my hair so I could possibly BC at any time. I want to transition for a year before BCing, but there is a good chance that may not happen. I am already tiring of the two textures. As for styles, Bantu Knot Outs are a godsend for my hair length! I tried the twist and curl but that didnt quite work for my hair.

I think its all about time and creativity- in your down time, when you dont have any where to go, try something. If that doesnt work, try something else. Pin it here, spray it there, tie is down, band it up. I've definitely had to get creative cuz I have an odd length.

Also, a lot of transitioners wear braids and sew-ins so that could be an option.
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Are you transitioning with two textures? Empty Re: Are you transitioning with two textures?

Post by loveself247 5th November 2009, 1:09 am

I would BC before wearing weaves, wigs or braids. Braids are too tight for me and I am not bold enough to rock a weave or wig...lol
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by bevyboo628 5th November 2009, 4:31 pm

I feel your pain Loveself I cant do wigs or weaves. I usually try to to do my hair on sunday when i have nowhere to go becuase they take a long time. The good part is that they usually last me the whole work week. The bantu knots and twist and curl are definitely the best.

Last edited by bevyboo628 on 6th November 2009, 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 5th November 2009, 11:39 pm

I'm transitioning right now and have a loooong way to go. My last relaxer was October 9th but it didn't "take" so my hair is quite kinky. The short of the long is that I've been wearing half wigs that are "crinkly." I use a braid out for the front of my hair so that it matches the wig. I've been wearing it for 3 weeks now and I love it.

My plan is to transition for one year, but I know I won't last because I've already begun snipping some of the relaxer out of my hair. Next month I'm planning to get braids or kinky twists that will carry me for at least 3 months.

Good look transitioning!
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 6th November 2009, 12:19 am

thank you ladies.....I will find something to do with this mess...lol
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by lacesonia 6th November 2009, 10:17 am

Hi loveself247,

I've been transitioning since July 08 and in the beginning (first 3 months) I continued to straighten about once every two weeks. I then stopped and got braids. I only had the braids for a week and a half. I was allergic to the hair so they had to come out.

After that I was in your position, confused and going nuts b/c I didnt want to keep straightening. Thats when I found out about curlformers on maneandchic. I also explored youtube to find other styles I could try. Over about 2 months I spent every weekend trying out one or two hairstyles. During the week and when I tried something that didn't come out right I wore buns. I'd cowash, moisturize, seal and then pull my hair back into a wet bun and let it dry over night.

When I dont want to wear a bun I do a curlformer set overnight. I sleep wild and havne't figured out how to get second day hair with these, yet. So after one day of those I'll moisturize and seal before bed and do bantu knots and take them out in the morning before work. I can do the bantu knots very quickly so at night I'll moisturize, seal, and redo them. Sometimes I just pull it back into a curly ponytail.

I hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be finding styles.

Sorry so long
lacesonia
lacesonia

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 6th November 2009, 10:44 am

Goodmorning ladies,

I just did the big chop in July. I transitioned for 12 months and got trims every 8 weeks. I purchased curlformers but I haven't used them yet. In the beginning of my transition I also flat ironed every two weeks. I then decided not to do that. I've always worn my hair rolled some kind of way because I could never mastered wrapping my hair. Anyway my favorite style now as 100% natural, as well as transitioning and permie days is rod set. The rod set will last a good week and I'm a rough sleeper. I just make sure I put on my satin bonnet. I also used the satin pillow rollers to get a curly effect. Attached are pics where I used pillow rollers. Good Luck Curly Q's

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 6th November 2009, 10:44 am

Goodmorning ladies,

I just did the big chop in July. I transitioned for 12 months and got trims every 8 weeks. I purchased curlformers but I haven't used them yet. In the beginning of my transition I also flat ironed every two weeks. I then decided not to do that. I've always worn my hair rolled some kind of way because I could never mastered wrapping my hair. Anyway my favorite style now as 100% natural, as well as transitioning and permie days is rod set. The rod set will last a good week and I'm a rough sleeper. I just make sure I put on my satin bonnet. I also used the satin pillow rollers to get a curly effect. Attached are pics where I used pillow rollers. Good Luck Curly Q's

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 6th November 2009, 10:53 am

Goodmorning ladies,

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by bevyboo628 6th November 2009, 11:07 am

nmoultry your hair is beautiful!!!!
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 6th November 2009, 2:20 pm

@lacesonia, yeah,,,I feel you on the braids. Not allergic but they are too uncomfortable for me. I am sitting her now wondering if I should try getting them again. I start back school in January and I will have almost zero time to be doing my hair.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by lacesonia 6th November 2009, 2:31 pm

Well, maybe you could try flat twists...going back like cornrolls. I've tried these. Had a coworker do them. They looked pretty good but what I loved most was when I took them down. It looked sorda like a braid out but better.
lacesonia
lacesonia

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 6th November 2009, 2:35 pm

@lacesonia,,that sounds cute,,,thanks

@nmoultry, LOVIN the hair style and the color is on point.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 7th November 2009, 10:25 am

loveself247 wrote:@lacesonia,,that sounds cute,,,thanks

Thank You! I just wanted to post some pics because when I was transitioning I was pretty much winging it because my friends were clueless as to what I was doing. I went natural no perm but I love my highlights so I decided not to get rid of that just yet. Have fun transitioning, even try to create new styles. I was able to do a lot because then I still had those perm ends. i did my best to try to be in control. I had every intention on transitioning for like 2 years just as a project but the more my new growth appeared the more I had those ends. When my one year perm free got here I chopped. I have no regrets except I would be further along my journey if I'd done it sooner. HTH!!

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 7th November 2009, 1:47 pm

@nmoultry so you think your hair would have grown more hd you did your BC before letting your natural hair grown in more?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 7th November 2009, 2:06 pm

It's been almost 4 weeks since I did the BC after transitioning for 10 months. I had planned to do the BC in April 2010, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

Although getting used to having short hair and adjusting to the new look has been a challenge for me, I can now say that I'm glad I went ahead and cut off the relaxed ends because I can settle into a routine/products and concentrate on healthy hair. I have found that transitioning and being completely natural are different. Some of the products I was using during the transition don't seem to be working. That makes me feel like I'm starting all over again and adds to the frustration. I also think back to how much time and money I spent on hair that I just ended up cutting off and throwing in the trash.

Everyone has to BC when they are ready. But, I would suggest just doing it and getting it over with so you can focus on caring for your natural hair. I know it's easier said than done and that there's a mental transition (or "deprogramming" as one of my natural friend's says), but there is a bit of relief in just getting it over with. Every day I'm getting more and more confident and comfortable with my hair. It's not easy, but well worth it. I couldn't even say that last week.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 7th November 2009, 2:08 pm

@nmoultry: Your hair looks great! I've wondered if those pillow rollers work, and now I see that they do!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 7th November 2009, 5:01 pm

loveself247 wrote:@lacesonia,,that sounds cute,,,thanks

Thank You! I just wanted to post some pics because when I was transitioning I was pretty much winging it because my friends were clueless as to what I was doing. I went natural no perm but I love my highlights so I decided not to get rid of that just yet. Have fun transitioning, even try to create new styles. I was able to do a lot because then I still had those perm ends. i did my best to try to be in control. I had every intention on transitioning for like 2 years just as a project but the more my new growth appeared the more I had those ends. When my one year perm free got here I chopped. I have no regrets except I would be further along my journey if I'd done it sooner. HTH!!

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelynika 7th November 2009, 9:31 pm

Hello-

I have been transitioning since July 09. Transitioning has been really hard. It has taught me patience because I literally have to do my hair every weekend either saturday or sunday. But the styles that I normally wear are flat twist (which i got the style from Kimmaytube, her Corrine Bailey Rae look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuhamqzKbNI) and this hairstyle is my profile pic on here, or Bantu knot out (which i got from xGoldn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5sMmejNg0A, and if i have the energy I will do a perm rod style similar to @nmoultry hairstyle.

But I am already getting tired of the process. I told my boyfriend that i was thinking about cutting it all off at the beginning of 2010. But I am trying to hold on strong!!!!! haha... As you can see I love looking on youtube to find hairstyles so I hope the videos that I have shown you will help you just as much as they have helped this process. =)
lovelynika
lovelynika

Back to top Go down

Post by natural_nance 9th November 2009, 4:14 pm

Hi

I'm also transitioning, going on 5 months now. I think at this point I would have did the BC but I had my edges relaxed so I have straight/ curly edges and a curly middle (very fustrating). I think the main thing is finding a style that works, I'm still on my hunt so good luck and hopefully you, myself, and anyone else in this boat will make it to a healthy 100% natural state!!!!
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Post by p_nuttie43 9th November 2009, 4:26 pm

ive been transitioning for a couple of months and have way more relaxed hair than natural hair so i've been basically doing twist outs and bantu knots. my hair is pretty short so I can't just wash and put it in a bun. I HAVE TO DO IT and the styles dont last more than 2 days (im stretching it on the 2nd day as it is now!) I just sit in front of the tv with my little hand held mirror propped up on a chair and do my twists and watch tv. lol.
p_nuttie43
p_nuttie43

Back to top Go down

Post by msjakkia 9th November 2009, 6:02 pm

I have been transitioning since January 08. I am about to have my first anniversary. I have to stay focused daily on the end result, I see myself with Nikki hair and am inspired to go another day. I am not BC'ing. The little fro is not for me. I also am not ready to wear wigs, and good weaves and braids are a bit too costly for my taste right now. So, I have learned to stick with buns, twist outs and braid-outs. There is alot I have not tried yet. Curlformers looks cool, but are too pricey for me at the moment. My hair is so thick and coarse it's crazy!!! I plan to just keep trimming until the relaxer is gone. I just got a cut where an inch was removed, but the ends were damaged there was some breakage due to the different textures. I read the sites daily, and use them as my hair bible of sorts. The time has really flown by and I am so in love with these waves and curls I see. It just confirmed for me that the relaxers were never really necessary in the first place.
msjakkia
msjakkia

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 9th November 2009, 6:06 pm

msjakkia,,,I'm in total agreement with you about not doing a mini fro, wigs or braids. I will be doing my hair in bantu knots and pulling it up in a wild pony tail or pinning it up in a bun. I plan to trim my hair over time too.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by MsIconic 10th November 2009, 10:09 pm

msjakkia wrote:I have been transitioning since January 08. I am about to have my first anniversary. I have to stay focused daily on the end result, I see myself with Nikki hair and am inspired to go another day. I am not BC'ing. The little fro is not for me. I also am not ready to wear wigs, and good weaves and braids are a bit too costly for my taste right now. So, I have learned to stick with buns, twist outs and braid-outs. There is alot I have not tried yet. Curlformers looks cool, but are too pricey for me at the moment. My hair is so thick and coarse it's crazy!!! I plan to just keep trimming until the relaxer is gone. I just got a cut where an inch was removed, but the ends were damaged there was some breakage due to the different textures. I read the sites daily, and use them as my hair bible of sorts. The time has really flown by and I am so in love with these waves and curls I see. It just confirmed for me that the relaxers were never really necessary in the first place.

I really agree with you. I plan to transition for a year and a half (2 YRS if i can make it)...so i won't be seeing those scissors til right after feb. 2011! i do plan to do mini-chips/trims as i see fit, but like you said, i can't do short hair. i think it's cute on a lot of people, but i have a really round face and i think i would look weird. plus, i've had hair that was at least to my armpits since i was 5. i'm gonna have to do it the long way! LOL
MsIconic
MsIconic

http://www.almostsimple.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next