CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 different textures, how do i blend them?

2 posters

Go down

2 different textures, how do i blend them? Empty 2 different textures, how do i blend them?

Post by curlista 15th July 2010, 8:06 pm

My hair is 95% natural except for the top layer of my hair. I don't know if it's due to heat damage or the remainder of permed edges growing it but it's limp and frizzy. Meanwhile the rest of my hair (underneath that layer) is curly and shines. How can I blend the two textures? Small rollers don't work. Thanks in advance! Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

2 different textures, how do i blend them? Empty Re: 2 different textures, how do i blend them?

Post by krys419 15th July 2010, 10:53 pm

It may not be heat damage. Do you think that maybe that is just the texture of your hair?

Nonetheless make sure you use products that help with heat damage or even one with sunscreen. I use IC Fantasia Hair Polish for colored and heat damaged hair. It has sun screen. You may not like it because it has silicone in it (also aloe). But I think a drop or two on that top layer would protect it from the sun and the heat. Remember this layer of hair is the most exposed
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414FI2GFlmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I understand why you are concerned since yes the curls underneeth look a lot different, but it may just be your texture. Pretty hair.

Oh and to blend them are you sure you put enough product on it? Because the under layer looks liek it has more product? or perhaps it loses moisture less quickly. Make sure you keep top layer moisturized

krys419

Back to top Go down

2 different textures, how do i blend them? Empty Re: 2 different textures, how do i blend them?

Post by curlista 17th July 2010, 11:46 am

I know the "waviness" could partly be my texture but it's COMPLETELY straight on the ends and when I wear it in a ponytail it hangs so straight that it makes my hair look layered compared to the rest of my hair.

I definitely put enough product, not too much but enough to moisturize my hair. I just want to be able to wear nice WnGs because right now it just looks awkward and funny.

Thanks by the way! Smile
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 17th July 2010, 8:22 pm

Also my hair wasn't like this when I was younger, I mean i know hair pattern can change with age but it's always been pretty curly throughout but now everything curls EXCEPT the top layer.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 18th July 2010, 2:53 am

It sounds like it is heat damage if you like to straighten your bangs a lot or something. Possible perm still there but that does not look like any relaxer to me, unless maybe just the ends. But just lay off teh heat and start doing treatments to strengthen the hair. At least it does not look fried or anything. It looks good

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 18th July 2010, 2:20 pm

So more DC treatments or like hot oil treatments?And thanks Smile
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 18th July 2010, 3:32 pm

Yes oil treatments are always good whether you have damage or not. Also deep conditioners. Sometimes I dont liek the oil because it's hard to wash out the hair, but it seems like when you do your normal weekly or bi weekly treatments you should put on teh deep conditioner but mix some oil with it jus for that area of teh hair, if you dont want the healthy area to get too oily.

I would say to also do a pre poo where you put oil or condish on hair before you shampoo so the shampoo has less drying effects. Also do you use a reconstructor when you wash? Once a week use a reconstructor. It is basically a high or low protein treatment. I think protein is usually what the hair needs when it loses the curl. The one I use is IC fantasia reconstructor.

And try not to put heat on that area anymore. Just put a leave in and comb the hair as it dries a little. Or use your blow dryer on teh cool setting. Don't use a flat iron. Once your hair dries and if your bangs needs to be straigher just put some product on it to smooth it then maybe put it on a roller so it smooths, then just brush out the curl later on in the morning

Is your hair 3c on top and 4A underneath?
Check out this girl for some tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gqddf9Zma0&feature=related

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 18th July 2010, 4:34 pm

I think I'll try the DC w/oil because too much oil tends to make my hair "stringy". I tried a prepoo once and liked the outcome so I'll have to try that again. I've never heard of a reconstructor but it sounds interesting.

I consider myself a 3c because my curls resemble that and aren't as tight as 4a but it does shrink and becomes tight like 4a. My roots are definitely 4a (thicker than the rest of my hair and the hardest part to keep detangled.) And I love chisellecouture I love you I follow her channel, I think we have similar hair.

Last edited by curlista on 18th July 2010, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 19th July 2010, 4:23 pm

Curlista Oh yeah she has some really good tips? Or is that all natural? Also, I don't think curl pattern has anything to do with the thickness. 4a curls are just tighter..well as far as I know. But I guess a 4a would probabaly seem thicker so I take that back. haha. But yes def check out a reconstructor. And I had my coconut oil/DC in last night. My hair looks great :-)

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 19th July 2010, 6:46 pm

O ok, I have some coconut oil too I guess I'll try that tonight and your hair looks really healthy by the way. Also, earlier I asked whether there was some type of tool/aid I could use to imitate the curl I already have so I can blend the two textures (at least until the heat damage is gone.) Do you have any suggestions, like certain rollers, rods, etc? Small rollers don't work.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 19th July 2010, 7:44 pm

Sorry i meantto ask in the otehr post if that is all your natural hair and no perm or texturizer on it. But I guess it is all your natural hair.

I'm sort of new to this hair process since I am transitiong from a relaxer. So what you see in my pic is me growing out my relaxer.

Since you said rollers don't work then i'm at a loss. Have you tried the tiniest rollers? The ones for straw set. They are very narrow and I think they would help you. fastforward to the end result
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMy1TS7uik

or maybe find really skinny flexi rods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTCoXZP618&feature=related

if that doesnt work then I think you will have to stretch the rest of your hair out. Not with heat or anything, but just prevent the rest of your hair from shinking up to that tight curl. When it is drying maybe keep it all in some big braids (except the damaged part) to prevent the shrinkage while it dries

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 20th July 2010, 3:09 pm

Oh, yes this is all my natural hair except for some old permed edges growing out. I used to have my hair fully permed but it started to break off so it had to be cut out. My mom insisted i continue to get my edges permed so i wouldn't sweat them out. Now I'm waiting for those to grow out, but besides that it's all natural.

But anyway I think I'll try the straw set rollers, I think it's because the rollers were too soft it didn't help hold the curl.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down