CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Nikki & All the ladies: That's not your hair!

+16
niknak19
naturalhonney
CurlsGalore
Mz. Thang
lexibugg004
Dricka
KeetaRay
tsa919
Janique
StephanieB
jamaicacurl
AfrikanLatina
ChrsLvsBks
sweetdrk1
Curly Film Chick
MsLizziA
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

To Nikki & All the ladies: That's not your hair! Empty To Nikki & All the ladies: That's not your hair!

Post by MsLizziA 5th January 2010, 3:16 pm

So i was on 1 of my favorite youtubers channels, rusticbeauty, and i
came across this video of her talking about people thinking that it
wasn't her real hair. Well she ran down like 3 stories of what happened
to her and i couldn't help but think that it was absurd for people to
approach her like that or whisper behind her back. Well any way here is
the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDoSS_q9yy8

My question is, how many times has this happened to you?

I think that it is so absurd to think that just because you are of
african descent, you can not and will not have long hair unless its
fake. Thoughts ladies??

Last edited by MsLizziA on 5th January 2010, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

To Nikki & All the ladies: That's not your hair! Empty Re: To Nikki & All the ladies: That's not your hair!

Post by Curly Film Chick 5th January 2010, 3:20 pm

I used to get this in Junior High school. All the other girls had relaxers and weaves and I didnt. So they taunted me repeatedly about how I can't be black with all that hair...I hated it with a passion, but folks are ignorant!
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

To Nikki & All the ladies: That's not your hair! Empty Re: To Nikki & All the ladies: That's not your hair!

Post by sweetdrk1 7th January 2010, 4:29 pm

LOL If that ever happened I would say feel it..no tracks..it's all me baby!

Yes Curly folks are ignorant for sure!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th January 2010, 4:33 pm

Sweetdrk1, I LOVE your avatar--beautiful sis, simply beautiful!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th January 2010, 4:39 pm

thank you Chrs, thanks to you and all the sharing that happens on this site, my hair is loving me as much as I love it!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 7th January 2010, 5:14 pm

I'd say screw you and keep it moving lol. No, but really some people are just going to be ignorant. Something that irks me like nothing else is when people talk about things that they have no experience with as if they have lived it, breathed it, done it, etc.
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 7th January 2010, 5:24 pm

Ugh that is the horror story of my life in school growing up. Always black girls refusing to beleive that it's all my hair, even some who I didn't even know (and a guy 1 time in college) put their hands in my hair to see if they could feel tracks!!! It's terrible and hurtful how ignorant people can be. Then to be told "you're not black or black enough" and things like that..grrr!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieB 9th January 2010, 5:59 pm

Some lady in a store asked my mother if her hair was fake and my mother said no and walked off. The lady apparently was not satisfied with my mother's response and she actually walked up behind my mother, grabbed a handful of hair and yanked it to try and prove that my mother's hair was fake. I really don't know how my mother controlled herself in that situation. I believe they would have had to call mall security if that happened to me.

StephanieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 9th January 2010, 6:40 pm

I agree. I don't know how your mom handled herself. I would've taken that as assault and had to lay hands on this woman. Would've been a natural reaction!
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 9th January 2010, 7:12 pm

awww hale..we would have redecorated that store!!!

AND I got asked the infamous question today. "is that your hair?" to which I answered. "Every inch of it!!!"
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by MsLizziA 9th January 2010, 8:24 pm

Oh hell naw. Excuse my language but that crap wouldna happend! I can tell u she woulda got bodied in that store! Oh no... we don't do things like that
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tsa919 10th January 2010, 4:09 pm

Yes I got that alot in school myself. Are you mixed? Is that your hair? It can't be.Im like yes it is.People are just ignorant.Why do I have to be mixed to have nice,healthy,natural long hair?Then they start to question the race of my parents.Then I start goin off at the mouth on them!lol.
tsa919
tsa919

Back to top Go down

Post by KeetaRay 10th January 2010, 8:55 pm

I get that question more when I wear my puffs. I've seen "fake" puffs before but to just come out and ask someone (when we're out at an event/gathering, mind you) is weird and rude. I don't get it. All I can say is that people are ignorant, indeed.
KeetaRay
KeetaRay

http://keetaray.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dricka 11th January 2010, 7:14 pm

I went to a friend's coworker's suprise party a couple weekends ago and one of her coworkers (who is of a different race) is trying to date her. My hair was straightened and she has a relaxer (but long healthy hair). He started talking to me (I remained unresponsive the entire time) about how he had no issues dating a black girl but the only thing he would have to get used to is the weave!!!! Then he went on to tell me that his buddy was dating a black girl and when he slept with her, he accidently pulled her weave out.

UMMM EXCUSE ME?!?!? First off I didn't want to hear any sex stories about him or his friends.... SECOND OFF..... I proudly told him that not all black women wear weave. He had the nerve to question me and my friend about us not having weave and both our hair is past our shoulders. I PROMISE if he would have asked to touch it... I would have been posting from jail!
Dricka
Dricka

Back to top Go down

Post by lexibugg004 11th January 2010, 10:00 pm

i have been getting that all my life, especially when i was in elementary school before the relaxer,and began again when i began to do my own hair again freshman year up until i cut off my relaxer in 05'!!!! i remember when i live in Belltown, and girls form the central district were all ways stopping me on the street either politely asking about my hair, or being catty and letting their insecurity flags fly high, and making comment about it not being mine and daring each other to pull it(they would have seen the north Memphis explode from the "bourgeoisie" chick)! even women outside the womens' crisis center yelling across the street "that ain't yo hair"!! as if they didn't have more pressing matters to attend!!! or a lady mad that i had no cigarette to give her, stating that she knew someone who do my hair so the tracks didn't show in the back, but there were no tracks to speak of(that day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )

i just think that as more of us go natural, (or even learn to properly care for relaxed hair) and grow our hair long (if you so choose), the assumption that it is not our own will subside!!! i just think we should be patient with ignorant people. there is a reason for the assumption, for many years, not all but some black women have had weaves, and if you are interacting with someone whose closest interaction with us is a damn beyonce video, they will assume that is a common practice for us all!!! you would think they would know that the behaviors of a few does not dictate the behavior of all, but if that were the case there would be no such thing a a stereotype!!!!
lexibugg004
lexibugg004

Back to top Go down

Post by lexibugg004 11th January 2010, 10:15 pm

OH MY GOD, I FORGOT ABOUT AN INCIDENT IN THE MIDDLE OF A CROWDED NORDSTROM RACK. TWO YOUNG LADIES WHO LOOKED GLARINGLY OUT OF PLACE, WERE LIKE "WHAT KIND OF HAIR IS THAT??" SINCE I AM IN MY OWN WORLD, WITH MY MIND ELSE WHERE, I'M LIKE "WHAT??" AND ONE OF THE GIRLS ARE LIKE, "OH I GUESS AIN'T NOBODY SUPPOSE TO KNOW!!!" I GUESS SINCE MY HAIR WAS IN TWO BRAID WITH A BIG PART DOWN THE BACK OF MY HEAD, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN OBVIOUS THAT IT WAS MINE!!! OBVIOUSLY NOT!!! sorry that really annoyed me, it was as if the whole point was to attempt to embarrass me, since "civilized" individual are typically more discreet when asking such questions!!!
lexibugg004
lexibugg004

Back to top Go down

Post by Mz. Thang 12th January 2010, 2:08 am

I have definitely experienced this pretty much most of my life. When i was younger walking home from school ppl would stop me and ask me if my hair was real. Even my relaxed days I was always knwn as the black girl wit long hair b4 I started over doing it with color. I remember a girl told ppl in middle school tht I thought I was the stuff cuz my hair blows in the wind...I knw ridiculous right. Even now everytime I do something different 2 it someone ask is tht all urs and it is nowhere near as long as it used 2b.
Mz. Thang
Mz. Thang

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 12th January 2010, 1:38 pm

Growing up this wasn't unusual for me. When I was relaxed, black women always questioned whether my hair was mine or not. I never got offended, but it got redundant. Now that I'm natural, lately strangers have asked if I'm wearing a wig (twistout styles). I just smile and say no. Then they proceed to look at my hair all awe-struck. It's really sad that some of us cannot conceive the idea that black hair is beautiful hair; that anything to enhance beauty has to be fake.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 12th January 2010, 2:36 pm

Yep Teased so bad in junior high school I had my mother cut it all off! I was taunted on pic day in about the 7th grade my hair was messed up by the time I had to sit for the pictures. My hair had no relaxer don't even think I had vigarol in it but it was so thick and long. Didn't know what I had back then now I want it back!!!!! Won't quit till I get it!

P.S. New here and not home with my computer will post a pic in about a week.
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 12th January 2010, 2:37 pm

Wow, interesting stories. I do not remember anyone ever asking me if it was mine, thank goodness. I guess I am fortunate based on what some of you have had to go through, wow.

As far as someone reaching in or pulling another's hair, those people are asking for a beat down or a very rude awakening using harsh words. That is absolutely crazy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] !
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalhonney 12th January 2010, 2:42 pm

Oh forgot to say of course it was NEVER,NEVER my hair. All I got was "Is that your hair" My mother and two sisters and I all had the same hair looong,thiccccck and pretty and ppl couldn"t stand it!! I didn't know what a weave was back then, did they even have weaves in the 70"s??
naturalhonney
naturalhonney

Back to top Go down

Post by niknak19 13th January 2010, 4:35 pm

I use to get that a lot when my hair was relaxed. I was working in ladies shoes in Nordstrom's while in college. I had just helped this older white woman. We finished up her transaction and she stopped like she had something else to say. She leaned over to ask me if I was wearing a wig. I had to laugh. I said no it was my hair. It was not that long just past my shoulders in layers. But I could tell she was a little envious of how healthy it was. At least she was polite.

The next time was in the beauty shop. I decided to cut my hair short in a pixie. My beautician was having a fit. Anyway she cut my hair and it was all over the floor. The shop is up in arms over me cutting my hair. This girl comes in and they tell her what I did. She looks at my hair on the floor, my head and heard what everyone had said about me cutting my hair. But she insisted that that was a weave on the floor. She claimed it was too much hair and to healthy looking to be mine. Never mind there where no tracks to be seen anywhere. Foolishness.

I understand people are curious. The thing that gets me is that the white woman was more polite about it and respectful. Whereas, the sistah was just down right rude. There will always be haters

Now I get the "your hair is natural" when it is flat ironed. .
niknak19
niknak19

http://www.helixwellness.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EmpressTaTa 13th January 2010, 4:51 pm

I have forever gotten "that's not your hair" and "is that all your hair" and "what kind of relaxer you use (when i blow my hair out)" and "you indian?" and "you got good hair"

I'm so used to it now.....I even allow some people to touch it...some though, not all of them.

Its funny how black people can be so amazed at my hair curly and straight. Like its the lochness monster. My white counterparts love my hair natural. My stylist (I go to a "white" salon) and her colleagues are fascinated by hair.

I just find it amusing.....and everyday I get that comment, I laugh.

EmpressTaTa

Back to top Go down

Post by PyreFli42 14th January 2010, 4:32 pm

I've had people ask that, both in my relaxer days and natural, although usually not in a nasty or teasing way (or I just didn't notice, which is entirely possible too!). It's only really bothered me when this guy kept prying to find out what my ancestry was. Otherwise, I just say something to the effect of yes, it's mine, it's real, and you too can have healthy hair! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PyreFli42
PyreFli42

http://public.fotki.com/pyrefli42/

Back to top Go down

Post by EmpressTaTa 14th January 2010, 7:30 pm

PyreFli42 wrote:I've had people ask that, both in my relaxer days and natural, although usually not in a nasty or teasing way (or I just didn't notice, which is entirely possible too!). It's only really bothered me when this guy kept prying to find out what my ancestry was. Otherwise, I just say something to the effect of yes, it's mine, it's real, and you too can have healthy hair! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oh yes the "ancestry" questions drive me crazy. And mostly because I have dark skin. If I was of very light complexion, it probably wouldn't bother me as much. It's like that comment "You're pretty for a dark skin girl" (and i get that very often and it sickens me lol). I just feel like people shouldn't assume that you can't be pretty or can't have more manageable hair because you're of a darker complexion than most with the same "type" of hair. Annoying! lol.

EmpressTaTa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next