CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Thank You To Nikki, or How Moisture is Saving My Hair

+3
Lynnieluve
ktoliver5303
cinephan
7 posters

Go down

A Thank You To Nikki, or How Moisture is Saving My Hair Empty A Thank You To Nikki, or How Moisture is Saving My Hair

Post by cinephan 13th March 2010, 6:40 pm

My hair drinks up anything I put on it sooooo fast. I'll put a mixture of Jojoba Oil and Unrefined Shea Butter on my hair at night, two strand twist it, and wrap it with a scarf, and by morning, my hair is BONE DRY. Then I put Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa Oil on it, and it does its job, but I have to use a lot of it. A lot. That makes it greasy, but it keeps the moisture in. I had run out of all of my usual products--Cantu Leave-In was my go-to--and I was itching to try new products I had read about on this site.
But in the meantime, my hair was dry.
I took pics and decided to send them into Journey to Natural. I won Afroveda Whipped Shea Butter Creme and was elated. It has done much for may hair to keep in the moisture with just a little bit (I can only use a little bit because the smell is pretty strong for me). But, looking back on my pics, I realized that my hair looked and was dry and unhealthy. So, here are some new pics to say thank you for the Creme, and to remind myself that moisturizing is EVERYTHING.

BEFORE

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

AFTER

cinephan
cinephan

http://public.fotki.com/cinephan612/

Back to top Go down

A Thank You To Nikki, or How Moisture is Saving My Hair Empty Re: A Thank You To Nikki, or How Moisture is Saving My Hair

Post by ktoliver5303 13th March 2010, 6:55 pm

My goodness... Your hair really has a major difference between before and after... SOOOOO.. ordering now.. LOL!! You and your hair are beautiful.

I have that same issue. I can go to bed with all kind of oil and leave ins in my hair and my hair is DDRRYY when I wake up. I will try this ( I know my husband is going to send me to get help with all these products I keep ordering), but I MUST TRY!

What is your regimen with it? or period?
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

A Thank You To Nikki, or How Moisture is Saving My Hair Empty Re: A Thank You To Nikki, or How Moisture is Saving My Hair

Post by Lynnieluve 13th March 2010, 7:03 pm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

Here is a great article you both should read. Oils do not equal moisture. They help seal in moisture. Water equals moisture. If you use a water based product then seal in the moisture with an oil.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 13th March 2010, 11:56 pm

What Lynnieluve said. If there is no water based moisture on the hair when you put the oils/shea butter on then you will be sealing dry hair. This could be a possible cause of your dryness issue.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by rnewsome 14th March 2010, 2:12 am

should i switch to oyin products or to mazani products? which is better
rnewsome
rnewsome

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 14th March 2010, 7:34 am

No keep what you have as you need them for sealing but get some kind of water based moisturiser to put on your hair before you put the shea butter/oils on.

Water based hair moisturisers always have water or aqua as their first ingredient and quite often glycerin not far behind. Examples are S Curl no drip, Care free curl Gold activator, Carols daughters hair milk or you can make your own water/glycerin spray. Many naturals make their own as you can buy glycerin cheap at the store. Also some people co-wash as a source of moisture and then straight away seal with oil but this may not be enough for some people.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 14th March 2010, 9:55 am

@rnewsome - I SWEAR BY AND LOVE OYIN.. The only thing is that the shipping takes a while but... I love it!!

let me know if I am doing right. For example: I go to bed with Oyinhandmade Honey Hemp conditioner in my hair mixed with castor oil. Then when I wake up and I rinse it out and then spray Juices and Berries on my wet hair. Seal with Castor Oil and then make it to work.
Yet my hair looks and feels dry at the end of the day..

Today I used Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter for the first time.. (I have had it for months.. so that tells the story of the PJism). And my hair feels great to the touch, but when I look at my fingers they are OILY!! But my hair has a great sheen to it.. AND feels good.. Should I continue to use the hair butter on a daily or switch up my regimen?
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by baby-dee04 14th March 2010, 11:24 am

Try Qhemet Biologic... I use Burdock Root Butter Creme.... Since i started using these product i can go 2 or 3 day without adding anything. The first thing listed on this product is water then i seal with shea butter
baby-dee04
baby-dee04

Back to top Go down

Post by cinephan 14th March 2010, 4:24 pm

Thank you guys so much for the advice!! I'm going to try all of those products (the pj in me!). And thank you lynnieluve for that article! No kidding--that was a lifesaver! I washed my hair last night with some new shampoo and conditioner that aren't worth me mentioning and sat under the dryer for 30 min. dc-ing with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. Then I rinsed it out, put some Cantu Leave-In on and sealed it with a jojoba/shea butter mix. I two strand twisted it and put a scarf on it, and when I woke up, my hair was so soft and not dry at all! It was frizzy, but that was more the way I twisted it than the products. All I had to do this morning was put in a little Afroveda Whipped Shea and a little Carol's Daughter Honey Mimosa, and I don't think I'll need to touch it for the rest of the day!! Pics!

cinephan
cinephan

http://public.fotki.com/cinephan612/

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 14th March 2010, 4:49 pm

ktoliver5303 wrote:@rnewsome - I SWEAR BY AND LOVE OYIN.. The only thing is that the shipping takes a while but... I love it!!

let me know if I am doing right. For example: I go to bed with Oyinhandmade Honey Hemp conditioner in my hair mixed with castor oil. Then when I wake up and I rinse it out and then spray Juices and Berries on my wet hair. Seal with Castor Oil and then make it to work.
Yet my hair looks and feels dry at the end of the day..

Today I used Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter for the first time.. (I have had it for months.. so that tells the story of the PJism). And my hair feels great to the touch, but when I look at my fingers they are OILY!! But my hair has a great sheen to it.. AND feels good.. Should I continue to use the hair butter on a daily or switch up my regimen?

The Healthy Hair Butter will leave your fingers greasy, lol. But it will help keep your hair moisturized for days. I use it to seal my water based conditioner and oil. I don't use it on a daily basis. I use it to seal once a week. Also, try switch it up by not sleeping with the conditioner in your hair, sometimes you can over condition.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica5417 14th March 2010, 4:50 pm

rnewsome wrote:should i switch to oyin products or to mazani products? which is better

If you had to choose one, I say the Oyin. The Mizani ingredients don't seem worth the cost.
Erica5417
Erica5417

http://ericathurman.ennoir.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down