CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 Months Transitioning... Losing Patience...

+8
mimigirljoy
NaturalNubie
Delta87
Muz
Tay
naturallyunique
raina
Music8192
12 posters

Go down

3 Months Transitioning... Losing Patience... Empty 3 Months Transitioning... Losing Patience...

Post by Music8192 13th December 2009, 3:05 pm

Hey all, this is my first post in this forum, and i have a question about when I should BC.

So I've been transistioning for only a few months and i have about 1inch of new growth. And the relaxed hair is starting to pop off silent I have been trying to be as careful as I can and have been using some transitional styles but small chunks of my hair comes out every time i detangle. I'm starting to lose patience and wondering if I should BC really soon. I don't know how much longer my hair is going to last, and it's starting to look bad lol. But Im really scared to BC.... I know that eventually I would have to cut it but it might be sooner than I thought. Any thoughts,suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated Smile
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

3 Months Transitioning... Losing Patience... Empty Re: 3 Months Transitioning... Losing Patience...

Post by raina 13th December 2009, 7:49 pm

Hang in there!Dont give up! You might have to cut you hair sooner than you want to. Hopefully you will get some help from the ladies who have had similar experiences.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

3 Months Transitioning... Losing Patience... Empty Re: 3 Months Transitioning... Losing Patience...

Post by naturallyunique 13th December 2009, 8:50 pm

I TOTALLY feel you on the frustration w/ detangling!! That's my biggest biggest enemy and I always seem to lose chunks of hair too. (Btw im about 5 months into transition)

One thing that helps me is doing twist n curls...(I actually didnt know it was called that till I found this site)...but basically just twist your hair while damp, use something for hold (I use Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue) and then put perm rods on the end. You can sleep on it..then wake up, remove the perm rods and untwist. It comes out looking pretty curly (<-------Check my avatar) and you don't have to mess w/ your hair for a good week (besides moisturizing), maybe even 2 weeks.

Another option is extensions...right now, I have some kinky twists in cuz I just about HAD it w/ my hair. With the kinky twists, I dont even have to mess w/ my *often tangled* hair...I just moisturize moisturize moisturize! I plan to keep them in for 2 months.

Anyways, hope that helps!! HANG IN THERE!!! It gets frustrating but trust me you can do it and it will be so REWARDING!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallyunique
naturallyunique

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay 15th December 2009, 2:16 am

Hang in there!!!
Tay
Tay

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 15th December 2009, 2:27 am

Make sure your hair isn't just doing it's natural shedding (look at the ends and see if the whole shaft is coming out or of it's breaking). Another thing I saw on YouTube was tracking how much hair you normally lose by putting it in a plastic bag and labeling it while detangling so you know if it's just regular or if you're experiencing extreme breakage so you don't freak out.

As far as BCing, you should do it when you feel ready. If you think you can handle short hair and you won't regret it, then go for it!

How exactly are you detangling your hair?
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 15th December 2009, 4:11 pm

I understand how you feel. I am currently wearing a sew in weave. I am getting really tired of it. I am not a big fan of weaves [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]. My current picture was before I decided to transition, as you can see I already had short hair. I am trying to wait until May or June to BC but A- I live in IN and it is freezing. B do not have much new growth yet. Hang in there:)
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 15th December 2009, 7:09 pm

Thanks you guys for the responses and encouragement!!!:-) I'm still gonna try to transition for as long as I can. *Fingers Crossed* What I have been doing as transitioning style as naturallyunique mentioned is the two strand twist with the perm rods. I absolutely LOVE this style however it doesn't last very long at all. A good 80% of my hair is still relaxed so after a few days, the curls in my hair don't stay and go back straight Neutral

Also my hair is sooo dry. It literaly eats up any kind of moisuture I put in it. So the new growth is coming out, in which in so happy about but the permed hair is looking a hot mess lol. My hair overall is damaged, and the ends are thin so the idea of just cutting it of and getting a new start is sounding great. But I don't think I have the guts just yet.

And @Muz, I would deep condition my hair and, while rinsing out the conditioner I would just comb through my hair. Using a wide tooth comb of course. But I should probalbly detangle in sections Embarassed .. lol
And that is a great idea btw to track how much hair is falling out. I think I may do that. I'll will also try to see if it's just my hair shedding or breaking off. I don't think it's drastic breakage but when my hair is dry, it's so uneven[the permed hair] so im just guessing it's not coming out at the root.

We shall see what happens...
Like a Star @ heaven
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 15th December 2009, 8:21 pm

Music8192 wrote:

And @Muz, I would deep condition my hair and, while rinsing out the conditioner I would just comb through my hair. Using a wide tooth comb of course. But I should probalbly detangle in sections Embarassed .. lol
And that is a great idea btw to track how much hair is falling out. I think I may do that. I'll will also try to see if it's just my hair shedding or breaking off. I don't think it's drastic breakage but when my hair is dry, it's so uneven[the permed hair] so im just guessing it's not coming out at the root.

Okay, when you detangle, make sure you start at the end and work your way up to the root, that will help a lot of with breakage. And when you detangle it is better to detangle in sections instead of just raking a comb through. Also, try not combing your hair only when it's wet, I know for me when I get to my new growth, there is no way to comfortably comb it dry (which is funny because when I had a perm I was always told to never comb by hair while wet.
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalNubie 16th December 2009, 2:10 pm

Many of your transitioning dilemmas are common for many, including myself. My question would be how do you get more out of the transitioning styles. Like you said, any twist-outs, braid-outs, rollersets, etc. just do not last; for the most part, the relaxed ends are not holding up past two days. This leads to co-washing or detangling, which causes strain on the hair and shedding. If you are like me, I hardly did my own hair-I would have my stylist do all the work. It just seems silly to go to a stylist while transitioning because the styles are not making a week (money down the drain [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) So you go through the cycle of co-washing, rollersetting, within a few days co-wash again, style, so-on-so forth. So I opted to get a sew-in but after a week I have itchy and dry scalp that I do not want to irritate. I really want to keep it in to avoid the vicious cycle mentioned earlier. Help me to hold out before BCing-I don't want a TWA! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NaturalNubie
NaturalNubie

https://www.facebook.com/edie.jones?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 16th December 2009, 5:32 pm

NaturalNubie wrote:Many of your transitioning dilemmas are common for many, including myself. My question would be how do you get more out of the transitioning styles. Like you said, any twist-outs, braid-outs, rollersets, etc. just do not last; for the most part, the relaxed ends are not holding up past two days. This leads to co-washing or detangling, which causes strain on the hair and shedding. If you are like me, I hardly did my own hair-I would have my stylist do all the work. It just seems silly to go to a stylist while transitioning because the styles are not making a week (money down the drain [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) So you go through the cycle of co-washing, rollersetting, within a few days co-wash again, style, so-on-so forth. So I opted to get a sew-in but after a week I have itchy and dry scalp that I do not want to irritate. I really want to keep it in to avoid the vicious cycle mentioned earlier. Help me to hold out before BCing-I don't want a TWA! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bantu-knot outs usually last a week for me, try doing them smaller and on damp (not soaking wet) hair. I did them for about a month and it worked out great, of course I got tired of the style ~lol~ so I need to figure out other ways to do it. But that's the only style I've found that I can do (I'm also not used to really doing my own hair) that lasts a long time. I'm trying to step by flat twist game up so I can wear them around. Also try buns.
Muz
Muz

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 16th December 2009, 10:38 pm

Yea i think i might try the bantu knots next. Haven't tried that one yet but I'll see how it turns out. I was seriously thinking about getting box-braids, but the people braid sooo tight and I just didnt want to go through the agony of getting them and taking them out. My hair really grows the fastest that way but I'm really trying to avoid that. And because i'm not messing with my hair and pulling it and stuff like that it really grows..
So I hope i can hang in there.. im not sure i'll look as cute as the other women with TWA.. No
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by mimigirljoy 17th December 2009, 2:32 pm

hey All,
Reading all this about shedding made me wonder, how much hair loss is the normal amount for a person to lose?? Because it is said that the average hair loss is 100 strand a day and so after detangling after a week you should have 700 strand, I guess. But how do you know how much that is? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mimigirljoy
mimigirljoy

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 18th December 2009, 10:57 am

Maybe you can do a mini BC. Try doing a DC with oils and keep heat away from your hair.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by nekajack 29th December 2009, 9:12 pm

I AM 3MTHS INTO TRANSITIONING ALSO AND I AGREE IT IS A HEADACHE MY NEW GROWTH IS COMING IN SO FAST AND I DONT THINK I WANT TO DO THE BC YET B/C I ALWAY HAD LONG HAIR. BUT I AM TRYING TO FIND SIMPLE HAIR STYLES TO WEAR DAILY SO I WONT HAVE TO DO SO MUCH TO MY HAIR.I SEEN ON HERE WHERE SOME WOMEN DONTSHAMPOO OR COMB THEIR HAIR THEY JUST DO CO-WASHS AND CONDITIONS BUT I DNT THINK I CAN I HAVE TOOO MUCH HAIR AND ITS SO THICK.
nekajack
nekajack

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala 30th December 2009, 4:07 am

nekajack wrote:I AM 3MTHS INTO TRANSITIONING ALSO AND I AGREE IT IS A HEADACHE MY NEW GROWTH IS COMING IN SO FAST AND I DONT THINK I WANT TO DO THE BC YET B/C I ALWAY HAD LONG HAIR. BUT I AM TRYING TO FIND SIMPLE HAIR STYLES TO WEAR DAILY SO I WONT HAVE TO DO SO MUCH TO MY HAIR.I SEEN ON HERE WHERE SOME WOMEN DONTSHAMPOO OR COMB THEIR HAIR THEY JUST DO CO-WASHS AND CONDITIONS BUT I DNT THINK I CAN I HAVE TOOO MUCH HAIR AND ITS SO THICK.

I'm 3 months into my transition as well and I also have long thick hair so trust when I say you can co-wash. I co-wash once sometimes twice a week and I deep condition every time I co-wash. The key for me is to do it in sections and detangle as I go. I usually do sections of 4. I work the conditioner into each section, then I comb out each section and I let the conditioner sit until I've worked through all 4 sections. I rinse out all 4 sections at the end.

I hope that helps!
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

http://twitter.com/MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by nekajack 30th December 2009, 5:42 am

@ms.kendrala thx so much i will do that
nekajack
nekajack

Back to top Go down

Post by Eisani 30th December 2009, 11:43 am

Hmmm...for you ladies that are around the three month mark and having tangling issues; are you transitioning from bone straight? I ask because I'm starting to think it makes a difference. I've been transitioning for 25 months now (yep, you read that right lol) and while I don't totally remember the 3 month mark, I don't recall having tangling issues and the like until I hit 8 or 9 months post. Texlaxing and being a super long stretcher in the first place may have played a role in this (when chemically treated, I only tex(re)laxed 1-3 times a year). I know cowashes and DC's have always been my best friend. You're on the right track OP by trying to wash, condition, detangle in sections. Also try some preshampoo treatments. What products are you using? As far as styles are concerned, I was a bunning fool for the most part, but at 3 months I could still rock a rollerset and use a flat iron to get the wave out of the roots. HTH!
Eisani
Eisani

Back to top Go down

Post by nekajack 30th December 2009, 8:48 pm

@Eisani my hair is wavy i have type2c texture but i co-washed lastnite with herbal essence totally twisted and used just for me leave-in conditioner spray it keeps my hair soft and sealed my ends with coconut oil.
nekajack
nekajack

Back to top Go down

Post by Eisani 31st December 2009, 1:39 am

nekajack wrote:@Eisani my hair is wavy i have type2c texture but i co-washed lastnite with herbal essence totally twisted and used just for me leave-in conditioner spray it keeps my hair soft and sealed my ends with coconut oil.

Are you referring to your relaxed or natural portions of your hair when you mention hair type? That chart makes me roll my eyes everytime I look at it lol. I'm totally in LOVE with HE TT conditioner! I use it to cowash and as a leave in sealed w/JBCO. Yummy!
Eisani
Eisani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down