CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JUST USED HENNA FOR THE FIRST TIME

+8
slimwithabs
ajsimmons8
msmyles
palomastewart
MissyCee
naturallynola
CarlaAR
mrscoutrmmm
12 posters

Go down

JUST USED HENNA FOR THE FIRST TIME Empty JUST USED HENNA FOR THE FIRST TIME

Post by mrscoutrmmm 30th January 2011, 8:40 pm

So last night was my first time using Henna. I hit up my local Indian store yesterday (PS LOVE my local Indian store. Had everything I needed or wanted to order online plus all my questions were answered without making me feel ignorant, lol). It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be! Messy a little, I actually enjoy the smell and getting the color I wanted wasnt an issue bc at the store the large 18 oz jars have colored tops for the corresponding color the Henna will make your hair. Anyway, the results- I dont know what I was expecting but I did read prior that some have noticed that Henna can change your curl pattern and shrinkage. After washing out the Henna this morning my first thought was "did I get a perm?" because my curls werent as tight. I also noticed the color wasn’t what I thought it would be. It didn’t take on sone of my hairand I don’t know if that’s my fault that I didn’t apply it evenly, that the color will come in or if I need to Henna more than once (any advice?). After washing out with conditioner (2x's) I used the shea deep conditioner (mmmmm smells so good I really wish I could eat it). Then used coconut oil (side note has anyone noticed that coconut oil really smells like the left over milk from a bowl of frosted flakes? Maybe its just me...). Anyway when I prepped the Henna by mixing it with Herbal tea. Does anyone have any "special mixes" people use to really get their Henna to pop? I guess Im a 4a/4b hair type. Any other info I could be given would be great. I plan to Henna every other week.

mrscoutrmmm

Back to top Go down

JUST USED HENNA FOR THE FIRST TIME Empty Re: JUST USED HENNA FOR THE FIRST TIME

Post by CarlaAR 31st January 2011, 5:22 am

mrscoutrmmm wrote:So last night was my first time using Henna. I hit up my local Indian store yesterday (PS LOVE my local Indian store. Had everything I needed or wanted to order online plus all my questions were answered without making me feel ignorant, lol). It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be! Messy a little, I actually enjoy the smell and getting the color I wanted wasnt an issue bc at the store the large 18 oz jars have colored tops for the corresponding color the Henna will make your hair. Anyway, the results- I dont know what I was expecting but I did read prior that some have noticed that Henna can change your curl pattern and shrinkage. After washing out the Henna this morning my first thought was "did I get a perm?" because my curls werent as tight. I also noticed the color wasn’t what I thought it would be. It didn’t take on sone of my hairand I don’t know if that’s my fault that I didn’t apply it evenly, that the color will come in or if I need to Henna more than once (any advice?). After washing out with conditioner (2x's) I used the shea deep conditioner (mmmmm smells so good I really wish I could eat it). Then used coconut oil (side note has anyone noticed that coconut oil really smells like the left over milk from a bowl of frosted flakes? Maybe its just me...). Anyway when I prepped the Henna by mixing it with Herbal tea. Does anyone have any "special mixes" people use to really get their Henna to pop? I guess Im a 4a/4b hair type. Any other info I could be given would be great. I plan to Henna every other week.

Henna only comes in one "color": red. Colored henna doesn't exist unless the henna has additives or other herbs mixed in it. Do you remember what kind of henna you got?

Henna can loosen your curl. It doesn't happen to everyone (not me), but it is very possible. If you want to prevent that, you can mix 1-2 tablespoons of amla powder to your henna mixture.

I usually just mixed my henna with hibiscus or green tea which is good for the dye release.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 31st January 2011, 11:10 am

Mrsscoutrmmm,

Congratulations for having the courage to henna and getting through the process. I think that is the biggest thing. Once you do it the first time, you have more confidence, learn, and can tweek your process. Now, I endorse what Carla said about the color and the simplicity of the mix. I make a hibiscus tea from the flower pedals that serves to enhance the color and, of course, it is acidic. I def. use amla b/c my curls have a tendency to loosen easily (and amla is also acidic). If you are prone to the loosening, I suggest you use 3 - 4 tablespoons of amla, minimally per 100g of henna (I would favor the 4T. I didn't want to go towards the 4T and my curls loosened a bit, so that was a lesson learned). You can use up to a 50/50 mix. You could start with the 4T and increase a little at a time from there. Now, the first thing is to arm yourself with enough knowledge so you will have realistic expectations and not be frustrated b/c this is just too much work to feel you didn't get good results Smile

1. The darker the hair is that you start with, the more faint the red/burgundy highlights will be in the light/sun (that is where you will notice the color).
2. Any deposits on the hair will affect the color to some degree (This means hair that is not freshly washed, ladened with oils, build-up, etc., will not have as strong of an uptake as freshly washed hair without dirt, oils, etc.
3. Viscous materials in the henna also diminish the color uptake (oils, and other thick liquids or a paste that is too diluted.
4. Improper dye release time
5. Not leaving the henna on long enough
6. Using henna that has lost some of its strength (For ex. I order henna online and it is double bagged, foil wrapped, and has a fresh date (within the last year).

7. All types of henna are not created equal (richness of color is what I mean). Personally, I use Rajasthani Indian henna. It has great color qualities and it is very finely sifted (another plus, so it doesn't take all day to rinse it out). It is a great color.

Be not dismayed, henna color builds each time you lay down another layer = each henna yields a deeper, richer color. Its cummulative.

Also, cummulative conditioning effects alone are worth it. You will see and feel wonderful things, i.e, if you have porosity issues (me), you will notice a BIG different (you will need less conditioners, stylers, and other products to get your desired results, less frizz, hair doesn't dry out as quickly, yielding more time to set after washing without the constant need to spritz with water, etc.) Hair feels good (just ensure proper moisturization, especially that week post henna. This is the only time, I moisturize and re-braid, roll, or whatever I will do every night.

I have Indian friends and one of the ladies who threads my brows is from Pakistan. These ladies grew up with henna and I def tap into their deep knowledge base. It may be helpful to identify someone locally, if you can, who you can bounce things off without any delays. Also, Khadija, at Henna Sooq is wonderful, knowledgeable, resourceful, and prompt to respond. I buy my henna there and this time I bought my amla there and I can tell a difference with the amla. Check out Khakija's website and the blog at hennasooq.com and http://hennablogspot.com/ Hang in there. Don't give up. We are all here to help. Bueno suerte!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee 31st January 2011, 11:22 am

Thanks naturallynolla. I am still on the verge of getting this henna and just found henna sooq. Glad to know they are responsive and helpful. And your help was great also.
MissyCee
MissyCee

Back to top Go down

Post by mrscoutrmmm 31st January 2011, 3:48 pm

@ CarlaAR
The Henna actually had indigo in it.

mrscoutrmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by mrscoutrmmm 31st January 2011, 3:53 pm

@ naturallynola
Thank you for all your help! I will make sure to carefully look into all of the tips you have listed above!

mrscoutrmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by palomastewart 3rd February 2011, 10:14 am

Hair is increase our beauty. People apply many things in hair like die, egg, buttermilk, henna and many more. I apply henna many time in my hair. Due to this my hair become silky, strong and cool.

palomastewart

Back to top Go down

Post by msmyles 8th February 2011, 3:49 pm

I used henna for the first time last night. I used Nupur & a recipe I got off of "A Girl Can Mac" blog. It was very easy to apply & rinse out. I had little to no mess. I didn't let my mix sit overnight before applying, & I left it on my head for an hour & 30 min. When I did my final rinse my hair was a bright red. I'm about 30% grey so I expected those strands to change color but not my whole head. After I calmed down I loaded my head up with conditioner, bagged it & went to bed. This morning after I rinsed, my hair is more of a cherrywood color. I actually like it. Besides the color I didn't really see much of a change in my hair hair texture. I'm a 4a with relatively good curl definition except for a small patch in the back. I will use henna again, but maybe next time I'll apply indigo afterwards.
msmyles
msmyles

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 8th February 2011, 7:30 pm

Congratulation msmyles on your first henna dance The more you henna, notice that hair becomes healthier and more stronger.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by slimwithabs 9th February 2011, 1:16 am

Congrad U will LOVE it.
slimwithabs
slimwithabs

Back to top Go down

Post by annadevis 25th February 2011, 9:00 am

Hair is most important for our beauty. I apply henna for make strong and silky hair. Many people use different type of things on hair but I like most henna. Because of Its volume for my hair.

annadevis

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyes301 15th March 2011, 6:23 pm

i love my henna its the best ive used it twice and seen drastic results. Thicker, fuller and stronger hair. I will continue hennaing bi weekly bounce
ladyes301
ladyes301

Back to top Go down

Post by darkbeautytt 24th March 2011, 4:15 pm

so i hennaed before didnt like the result, used indian store henna, got orange tint in my hair and my hair got really really dry but i noticed when i stop, my hair broke off really bad. its been over a year now so i guess i will try jamila henna and see the difference if i like that better and probably indigo too cux i want black hair not orange tint in the sun, i was hoping it would be red or something but congratulation to all the successful henna heads
darkbeautytt
darkbeautytt

https://www.youtube.com/darkbeautytt

Back to top Go down

Post by slimwithabs 24th March 2011, 4:41 pm

@Darkbeautytt Sorry U did not get good results. I have a suggest try a professional. It's very inexpensive and U will get the results U desire.
slimwithabs
slimwithabs

Back to top Go down

Post by santa3 27th March 2011, 6:02 pm

Hi everyone. I want to henna and my hair is black. Would my color change once I get it done. I am psycho about my hair being no other color than black. However, I see that the Henna has other benefits as well. Please help.......

santa3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down