CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey

+30
1rasheda
MahoganyCurls
StephanieB
Pinkrage
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
truet
MsJay1121
vmichelle
SheeTacular
Juices-n-Berries
Babs2009
curly+kinky+fierce
traveljunkie08
sweetdrk1
Intelligentbeauty
Courtie
Preezie
Freestyles
Lynnieluve
Winnielours
CocaColaCutie
cococurly
ChrsLvsBks
AfrikanLatina
Kea::curls
nmoultry
LilMsPuddles
lena73
adiaha
34 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Empty Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey

Post by adiaha 6th December 2009, 3:26 am

Hi all, Im Adiaha (Ah-dee-ah-ha) but most call me Dee but its easier to pronounce. I've been transitioning with a sew-in weave. It worked for a minute but now as Im ready to do my big chop its just annoying. I have an appointment at a natural hair salon on December 16 and I have count down to it like Christmas.

I have learned early that going natural isn't cheaper, because I definitely have product junky tendencies. Ive already spent well over $100 on products in preparation for my big chop and I have MANY more things bookmarked on my computer. I want to try it ALL.

I've already ordered Qhemet products, Jamila's henna, Aloe Vera gel and essential oils (to make the "Aloe Gro" moisturizing spray), a new silk hair wrap (www.prettywrap.com) and I can't think of anything else but Im pretty sure Ive bought/ordered more. And this ALL before Ive cut my hair. Im not buying anything else because I dont know what will work but I figured I have a nice starter kit.

Hi I'm Adiaha, and I'm a product junky. Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Icon_redface

More about me. Im 25 years old, a registered nurse, a nurse practitioner student (hoping to graduate May 2011) and a mommy to a 3 year old. Im from and live in New Orleans and between school, work and family thats my life. Thats why this website is a horrible guilty pleasure. I read it all day everyday although there are many more productive things I could be doing (studying for one). I just love all the knowledge I get from it, this website has decreased my fear in taking the final step towards going natural. I

I look forward to learning with all of you guys, and thanks for the wealth of information thus far. Im sure I'll have many questions in the coming weeks.

Dee
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Empty Re: Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey

Post by lena73 6th December 2009, 10:24 am

Welcome Dee!

Yes we all are product junkies!
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 6th December 2009, 10:59 am

Yea what she said Laughing
You have a very pretty name by the way...
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 6th December 2009, 11:10 am

Welcome!!! Yes Lena73 is correct. I'm signing up for PJ rehab though LOL

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 6th December 2009, 12:26 pm

i love your name &&& am trying my best NOT to be a PJ Smile

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th December 2009, 2:12 pm

Welcome sis! 10 days left Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey 678474 Are you getting nervous at all or are you just ready to get it done? I can't wait to see your hair after the BC. Its such a great feeling to let the relaxer go...very freeing. Is your 3 year old a boy or girl?
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 6th December 2009, 2:14 pm

One question...have you already received your silk wrap from that site? If so have you used it and how do you like it? Does it stay on?
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Empty Thanks guys for the welcome

Post by adiaha 6th December 2009, 4:16 pm

@nmoultry Im gonna sign up for PJ rehab as soon as I get the right routine, and after reading your reviews of the steamer I'm sure thats gonna be a part of my routine in the near to distant future.

@African Latina - I have 3 year old boy and he's a handful at times but sweet as pie. I just ordered the silk wrap so I haven't received it yet but it was recommended by someone on this site, I think Maysay (sp?).

To be honest I am kind of nervous about my BC because unlike many people, I remember my natural hair. My mom never wanted me to relax my hair so it took 9 years of me whining about the kids teasing me at school for her to concede to letting me relax my hair. Its been a downhill battle since with dry brittle breaking hair. So I remember my very thick, coarse hair and I don't remember it being pretty. Of course Im remembering 9 year old thoughts which im sure was very influenced by my 9 year old peers, and now that I have the knowledge of how to care for my hair type I am excited about the growth and potential. I know it will be trial and error for awhile so I'll be looking to all of you along the way.

Thanks guys for the compliment on my name as well. That also took me years to appreciate. Its African, and means first born daughter (turns out Im an only child Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Icon_biggrin )
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 6th December 2009, 7:31 pm

Welcome!

I look forward to following your journey.

I am sure you will find products that work for you. You sound like you have a great start in product selection.

We all learn from one another so please continue to share.

Take care
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cococurly 6th December 2009, 7:54 pm

Welcome Adiaha,
I know your excitement, I too am scheduled to "BC" on Dec. 16th. I probably have about 2 inches of new growth now. My last relaxer was Aug. 4th and Ive been transitioning with 2 strand twist for the last 2 1/2 months. Also, we seem to have more than hair in common, I too am a nurse, a practicing nurse practitioner to be exact. Dont feel bad about being a PJ already, I have also brought/ordered a great amt. of product already, in preparation for my big day and I still have a few more essentials to purchase. How much new growth will you have when you "BC"? Maybe we can be each other support along the way, since were "BCing" @ the same time. Good Luck! Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Icon_biggrin
cococurly
cococurly

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 7th December 2009, 7:28 pm

@cococurly I'm honestly not sure how long my hair is. I haven't relaxed most of hair since like April, but the very front I last relaxed in July. I don't plan to cut it all even as I know I have much more length in the back then the front, I'll just cut off the relaxed ends and go from there. I'd estimate 3-4" in back 1.5-2" in the front. I'd love to have a BC buddy and dont be shocked if I come to you with NP related questions.

I found a new product I like. At least I like it for the moment, who knows how I'll like it once my hair is cut. Its Creme of Nature's Lemongrass and Rosemary Leave-In Creme Conditioner for dehydrated hair. It's very moisturizing and leaves my hair extremely soft. Its probably not as good as some of the more natural products, but for someone looking for a cheaper quick fix I'd recommend giving it a try.

9 days to the BC, still not nervous just anticipatory!!!
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 8th December 2009, 6:36 pm

So last night I went to Family Dollar to buy christmas wrapping paper, or at least thats what I told my boyfriend. I really wanted to buy some Organix coconut milk conditioner and/or leave in. They didn't have it but I did get HE Hello Hydration and I cowashed with it last night and I LOVE IT!!!

I intended to use it as a leave in as I read many of you do that but it was thick and white on my hair I rinsed it out and used my creme of nature leave in. How do u guys use it, do u dilute it or does the white go away once it dries?

I received my Qhemet products today and I can't wait to try them. I will give a review of each product once I use it.

Also Im going to go out today and buy some Organix since Im dying to check it out...Im sure before the end of this year (whats that like two weeks). I'll have enough hair products to last me a year or more. I never had a PJ problem when I was relaxed, whats this about, and does it pass the longer you're natural?
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 8th December 2009, 6:48 pm

lol to "at least that's what i told my boyfriend!" I feel tempted to lie to my bf all the time about how much i'm on this site (he doesn't get it Razz )

-->i can't believe you can get Hello Hydration @ the dollar store, lucky!

i'm excited 4 your countdown to the BC, too! It's almost as fun as reliving mine (sigh!)

Back to top Go down

Post by CocaColaCutie 8th December 2009, 7:02 pm

Welcome!

Good idea about having a starter kit. I sent my sister who just told me that she's ready to BC an email about all the stuff she should buy before BC'ing.

Make sure you take loads of pics of your BC so we can all see! Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Icon_biggrin
CocaColaCutie
CocaColaCutie

Back to top Go down

Post by Winnielours 8th December 2009, 7:43 pm

Welcome Welcome Adiaha!!! (love the name!)

Girl I just started this battle with PJism and im about to go broke! I cant talk about hair anymore around my mother cuz she thinks im getting obsessive! lol
It should die down a little...I hope!

Im so excited for your BC...looking forward to your updates!
Winnielours
Winnielours

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 9th December 2009, 7:27 pm

One week until my BC Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Icon_biggrin I should be studying for finals and I have been, but boy am I hair obsessed. I cant wait to post pics of my hair journey

Ive been watching YouTube videos, and I love looking at this user (
https://www.youtube.com/user/RusticBeauty) because her hair type is very similar to mine and her hair is LONG!!! Love it.

Also I just went to Walgreen's and randomly got a free $5 coupon with to spend on anything in the store. Of course Im gonna get the Organix Coconut Milk = 2 bottles for 1.99 *SCORE* Am I lame or what LOL
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th December 2009, 12:38 am

I cant wait to see the pics of your BC! **I'll be back in one week**

I wish I had that coupon when I purchased two bottles of Organix Mandarin Olive Oil Conditioner!!!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 10th December 2009, 12:41 am

I used HE HH as a styler for WnGs this summer. I would brush it through after applying handfuls of it on two sections of soaking wet hair. I never had any problem with residue. Did you use something under or over it?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 10th December 2009, 8:25 pm

adiaha wrote:One week until my BC Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey Icon_biggrin I should be studying for finals and I have been, but boy am I hair obsessed. I cant wait to post pics of my hair journey

Ive been watching YouTube videos, and I love looking at this user (
https://www.youtube.com/user/RusticBeauty) because her hair type is very similar to mine and her hair is LONG!!! Love it.

Also I just went to Walgreen's and randomly got a free $5 coupon with to spend on anything in the store. Of course Im gonna get the Organix Coconut Milk = 2 bottles for 1.99 *SCORE* Am I lame or what LOL

LUCKY!!! but i guess you deserve it, being a product junkie & all. lol. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 10th December 2009, 11:46 pm

My henna arrived today. I ordered it from Amazon. I think I got a good deal but Im not sure. I paid about 36 for 600g. They had a buy 5, get one free sale so figured why not buy five. If I don't care for henna (which i cant imagine based on all the wonderful reviews on here) I'll have plenty of product for a product swap.

I used some Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy cream on my hair last night before going to bed. I used it smooth my very thick new growth. I tied down my hair and when I took my scarf off this morning my hair was so soft. I was so excited I couldnt keep my hands out the front of my head. I can't wait to wash my hair and apply it to damp hair, Im sure its even more effective then. Love it and the smell is light!!!

All of my friends are asking when Im doing my BC, I wanna say its because theyre as excited as I am but Im sure the true reason is its because this sewin is getting TIRED LMAO

@ChrsLvsBks I used it alone to detangle and I figured after I detangle I was supposed to leave it on my hair but it was really white. I rinsed it because I wasn't sure, maybe I just used too much or maybe it wouldve dried fine had I allowed it do so.

@Kea I dont know whats up with product junky in me but after I get my organix coconut milk shampoo (2 for 1.99) Im done buying stuff. I think I have more than enough and hopefully my regimen wont need tweaking (but im sure I wont get so lucky to get it "right" on the first try).
6 more days until my BC Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey 678474
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 14th December 2009, 7:19 pm

So I dont have pics yet, but I did the BC. I still have an appt Dec 16 so they can get all the permed ends cut off, but Im rocking two strand twist (thanks to my mom, cuz I cant do it, but I plan to learn). I did it today to avoid the salon from charging me to remove the sewin. I have save money every where I can. I'll post pics when I get home
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2009, 7:38 pm

Congratulations on your BC!!!! How do you feel? What was your first reaction? I cant wait to see the pics!! I know you look great!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 14th December 2009, 8:46 pm

cool !!! &&& congratulations &&& everything that she said ^^^ !!!

i hope you enjoyed getting rid of those relaxed ends... What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post by adiaha 15th December 2009, 12:43 am

Before:
Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey 100_1013

After:
Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey 100_1014

Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey 100_1012
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th December 2009, 1:05 am

Your hair looks so thick and healthy!!! Let the fun begin!! Adiaha's Natural Hair Journey 678474 I hope the products you used during your transition still work for you now. So how do you feel?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next