CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna and Gray Hair

+17
carfi366
Allaboutlife
luvlylocs
FloridaSunshiny
DvaAuNaturel
jamaicanmecurly
Sebastain13
MicaiahTy
tiashaunteé
NylaCoils
LilMsPuddles
curly+kinky+fierce
SisterBoyd
flyahead
brownsugar09
ChrsLvsBks
CurlyMo
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Henna and Gray Hair - Page 2 Empty Re: Henna and Gray Hair

Post by Sebastain13 13th July 2010, 1:56 pm

I did a post here a while back about tha Henna & I never did it I decided to buy some but wasnt sure what to buy so I went to Earth Fare & bought some Surya Henna Brasil Powder according to the box it doesnt cover gray but its for hair treament only

I really dont want to cover the gray now I have got use to it now & kind of like it now but would love to use it for shine & conditioning

So wish me luck ladies I'm kind of scared [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyMo 13th July 2010, 2:58 pm

Your going to lose your gray if you henna
CurlyMo
CurlyMo

Back to top Go down

Post by Allaboutlife 13th July 2010, 3:30 pm

ok everyone, I have read every thread. Can you tell me why henna and indigo is so popular? I have never heard of henna for your hair, sorry if I sound inexperienced, but I guess I am with this subject.

I have gray around my edges, and my color is a light brownish.
Allaboutlife
Allaboutlife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 13th July 2010, 3:44 pm

Even if I jus use it 4 jus treatment & shine
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 13th July 2010, 3:48 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:Even if I jus use it 4 jus treatment & shine

Your gray hair more likely to turn a copper color. ChrsLuvBks did and so did mine - we have different textures. However, after about a week - my roots were gray again.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 13th July 2010, 4:54 pm

So wat do u suggest that I do use tha Henna or not I jus want 2 use it as a deep conditioning treatment not 2 ocver tha gray n my hair
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 13th July 2010, 6:10 pm

You can still use it as a deep conditioning treatment but just keep it mind that it will more than likely cover the gray. If you are adamant against covering the grey then I would not use Henna at all and just stick to traditional deep conditioning treatments.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 13th July 2010, 8:07 pm

I will keep that n mind but dont think I will do it though

Thanks
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 17th July 2010, 9:36 am

Allaboutlife wrote:ok everyone, I have read every thread. Can you tell me why henna and indigo is so popular? I have never heard of henna for your hair, sorry if I sound inexperienced, but I guess I am with this subject.

Henna and indigo ar ayurvedic or India herbal powders that are natural products that are really great for your hair. Henna is a natural conditioner and one of the by products is the fiery red copper color it will turn your hair. Indigo is used by some, including myself, that want to tone down the red and create a soft black or brown shade in the hair. My avi pic is my hair after a fresh henna conditioner. The brightest red is my gray. I later followed up with indigo to tone it down. Check out the Hairyuveda Challenge under the Challenges forums.
I love henna and how wonderful it is for my hair leaving it stronger and softer. Since I have been in the Hairyuveda challenge I have noticed a lot less shedding, no dandruff, less itchy scalp, more sheen to my hair. Check out the challenge and the link below for more info on henna. I hope this helps.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 19th July 2010, 10:48 pm

Allaboutlife wrote:ok everyone, I have read every thread. Can you tell me why henna and indigo is so popular? I have never heard of henna for your hair, sorry if I sound inexperienced, but I guess I am with this subject.

Henna has been around forever and because of the natural hair movement it has regained popularity. Truth be told, I tried it because Curly Nikki wrote a great post about henna and made a tutorial that took the mystery away.

Although I stopped using relaxers in 2000, I never felt completely natural because I used chemical dye to color my white. This presented a dilemma for me - I hated chemical hair products but I hated my white more so I held my nose and touched up my roots every 4 to 6 weeks. This meant that for two weeks my white would be gone and for two to four weeks I had white roots. I would have touched up my roots every two weeks if it wasn't for the fear of developing brain cancer from some chemical in the dye. I was still willing to risk cancer to have dark roots, I was just trying reducing the odds.

I'll just cut to the chase: Henna has changed the texture of my hair in ways I could only dream of. My hair has never been silkier, shinier, or softer. I've had 4 hennas between June 13 and July 3 because I've been experimenting a lot - henna alone, henna & indigo mixed vs henna first, then indigo after (for black). Each time I wash my hair it seems that it gets even more silky, shiny and soft!

The number one attraction for me is that henna is a natural dye that comes from a plant and this means that I can touch up my white EVERY WEEK and not have to worry if I'm killing myself. And not only am I not killing myself but I am giving my hair a treatment that is no less dramatic than a chemical relaxer yet comes directly from nature. Not only does henna enhance the color of hair but it also permanently improves the texture. For me henna has been a major game-changer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 20th July 2010, 10:45 am

Estiscurls wrote:

Henna has been around forever and because of the natural hair movement it has regained popularity. Truth be told, I tried it because Curly Nikki wrote a great post about henna and made a tutorial that took the mystery away.

Although I stopped using relaxers in 2000, I never felt completely natural because I used chemical dye to color my white. This presented a dilemma for me - I hated chemical hair products but I hated my white more so I held my nose and touched up my roots every 4 to 6 weeks. This meant that for two weeks my white would be gone and for two to four weeks I had white roots. I would have touched up my roots every two weeks if it wasn't for the fear of developing brain cancer from some chemical in the dye. I was still willing to risk cancer to have dark roots, I was just trying reducing the odds.

I'll just cut to the chase: Henna has changed the texture of my hair in ways I could only dream of. My hair has never been silkier, shinier, or softer. I've had 4 hennas between June 13 and July 3 because I've been experimenting a lot - henna alone, henna & indigo mixed vs henna first, then indigo after (for black). Each time I wash my hair it seems that it gets even more silky, shiny and soft!

The number one attraction for me is that henna is a natural dye that comes from a plant and this means that I can touch up my white EVERY WEEK and not have to worry if I'm killing myself. And not only am I not killing myself but I am giving my hair a treatment that is no less dramatic than a chemical relaxer yet comes directly from nature. Not only does henna enhance the color of hair but it also permanently improves the texture. For me henna has been a major game-changer.

Estiscurls your hair is gorgeous and I so agree with you on the wonderful hair benefits from henna. My texture and scalp have greatly improved from the use of henna, other ayurvedic powders and oil.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 20th July 2010, 11:18 am

I did a henna/indigo treatment and my gray is completly covered. I had a lot of gray in the front and sides. I took pics, but I can't figure out how to post them sorry!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Henna and Gray Hair - Page 2 Empty henna

Post by cocoma 20th July 2010, 2:10 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the whole henna thing. This is my second time going natural and I have been perm free for almost 2 years now. I am interested in trying henna and was wondering if anyone with sandy brown hair has hennaed and how did the color turn out?
cocoma
cocoma

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 25th July 2010, 9:03 pm

Can you apply indigo after a henna gloss or do you have to do a complete henna treatment?

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 26th July 2010, 7:22 am

Carolina Natural wrote:Can you apply indigo after a henna gloss or do you have to do a complete henna treatment?

I think it would be better to do a complete henna treatment so that the base colour underneath the indigo is nice and deep. The purpose of a gloss is for strengthening rather than colour deposit, although that can happen. Usually with a gloss, a smaller amount of henna is mixed with other ingredients such as oils and conditioners and left on for a shorter period of time compared to a full treatment.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 26th July 2010, 7:27 am

cocoma wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to the whole henna thing. This is my second time going natural and I have been perm free for almost 2 years now. I am interested in trying henna and was wondering if anyone with sandy brown hair has hennaed and how did the color turn out?

You'll probably get something like a coppery red.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2