CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hibiscus Petal Powder in Henna!

+2
simplysloan
Niqui36
6 posters

Go down

Hibiscus Petal Powder in Henna! Empty Hibiscus Petal Powder in Henna!

Post by Niqui36 18th October 2010, 8:37 am

Has anyone mixed hibiscus powder in their henna? I was reading about it on a website and thought it would be interesting to try it but I would like to get thoughts of anyone who has done it. Here is what the website said about it:

In Ayurveda, Hibiscus (Jaswand) is known as one of the best secrets to beautiful and healthy hair. Hibiscus promotes hair growth, stops hairfall, gives hair a healthy luster with bounce, and delays premature graying. Hibiscus has been a wonderful ingredient in hair treatments that combine other ayurvedic herbs such as alma and brahmi. For henna color treatments, hibiscus is used to achieve a burgandy to black cherry color on hair. It is also slightly acidic and helps to aid in a faster henna dye release. As a drinkable tea, hibiscus is a natural body coolant and makes a great refreshing drink. Even better is using hibiscus powder in a tea rinse for hair!

Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Hibiscus Petal Powder in Henna! Empty Re: Hibiscus Petal Powder in Henna!

Post by simplysloan 20th October 2010, 1:27 pm

I've used hibiscus tea in my henna before... The powder sounds interesting though!
simplysloan
simplysloan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrinkage 20th October 2010, 7:23 pm

I used hibiscus flower petals. I steeped them in lemon juice and then sifted the mixture into my henna. I have never used the powder but I hear the petals are better for color and it definitely gave me more of a burgundy than a fiery red.
Shrinkage
Shrinkage

Back to top Go down

Post by transitionedgal 21st October 2010, 3:10 am

Hi,

I don't know if this will help much. However, I used hibiscus petal powder in my henna gloss mix when I was a relaxed head. The hibiscus powder made my curls and waves pop more then. I didn't use a lot either -- maybe like one or 2 spoonfuls approximately. I eyeballed it.

I am a new natural and haven't used henna yet again with hibiscus powder so I can't tell you about it on my natural hair. However, if I were you I would add a little to your henna mix when/if you do decide to see what it can do or do a strand test first.

take care and good luck.
transitionedgal
transitionedgal

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 21st October 2010, 8:48 am

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go ahead and try it. @transitionedgal I'm glad you mentioned only using 2 spoonfuls because I was thinking of mixing equal amounts of henna and the powder. Embarassed That might have been bad. lol!
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by Talisa3636 22nd October 2010, 4:08 pm

If you have an indian or west indian store nearby its much cheaper to purchase the petals from there. Sometimes its called Sorrel on the bag but it is hibiscus flowers which is what you need. Drop about 5 of them in about a cup of hot water and watch the color change! Its great plus you could use some to make a sorrel drink! The hibiscus powder might be good but the flowers are great and most likely local :-)
Talisa3636
Talisa3636

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 22nd October 2010, 5:44 pm

Thanks Talisa3636. I was just in my local indian store a few days ago. Picked up some amla powder and vatika oil. I'm sure he'll be glad to see me coming back! Smile
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd October 2010, 6:57 pm

Glad I dropped in on this one. I am currently planning my 1st henna strategy for November and plan to incorporate Hibiscus. I just saw it in one of the Indian stores and it did read Sorrel. I mentioned to the lady how it is a very popular drink during the holidays in Jamaica (with or without spirits lol). Niqui, keep us posted on what and how you decide to do it. If you haven't done so, you might visit www.hennaforhair.com, http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/products/Hibiscus-Petal-Powder.html, and http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/henna.html, and http://leonsbeautytipsandsecrets.com/hibiscus-hair-mask-for-beautiful-lustrous-hair/. These are some of the ones I viewed when I was evaluating whether I wanted to add hibiscus. Unfortunately, I have a few gray hairs and didn't want them to be orange. That would not be good!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 23rd October 2010, 1:53 pm

The ayurnaturalbeauty.com website is actually where I got my information and its where I'm going to order the powder from. I plan to henna on Tuesday and I'm sure the powder won't be delivered before then, so guess I'll be waiting until next month to try it with the powder. I'll try to remember to take pictures to keep you all updated.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 23rd October 2010, 4:52 pm

Niqui, you can probably find it locally. I saw it a a local healthfood store a few weeks ago. So, it is not exclusive to Indian/Asian stores or businesses. I am excited to hear your feedback.

I am doing my 1st henna next month because I will feel comfortable that I have researched it adequately. Plus, I am going to get a sample to do a strand test and henna rehearsal, so there are no surprises.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 23rd October 2010, 9:14 pm

naturalnolagirl1900, let us know how your first henna treatment goes.
I didn't even think to check my local healthfood stores. I haven't placed my online order yet so I can check that tomorrow. Maybe I will be able to add the powder to this months henna treatment!
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 23rd October 2010, 9:16 pm

That would be great. I know how it is when you are anxious to try something. Plus, not having to pay shipping. LOL

Will keep you in the loop!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down