CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treece: Braid Out

+20
naturallychelsea
Hurricane Curly
Nikcoils
LaToya28
Ladybug83
KeAnia
freckledmom4
CocoEuro
kim
sweetdrk1
poeticlyspkng
SheeTacular
CrissyQ
BellaLuna
swoodward
mrsmackey
BrownSkinDiva
krazy coils
KinkyNappyHappy
Treece
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 Empty Re: Treece: Braid Out

Post by Treece 24th October 2010, 3:23 pm

Thank you for your reply swoodard!

I was planning to use it oonly as a sealant as there's no study out there like coconut oil, that says that shea butter definitely can penetrate the hair. I put the mix in the fridge so I will try it again, or try to add AVJ to it, or a new batch and see what I get! So I appreciate the advice because I would like to use for what I intended lol.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 8th November 2010, 2:52 am

Today I went to Target because I wanted some more moisturizers. Upon getting there I realized that only curly girls used moisturizers! I went down the HE isle, and the Pantene, and Garnier Fructis and I didn't find much along the line of moisturizers. That was very interesting to me. But anywho, I found myself in the Natural Isle since the expensive stuff seems to be the only way in Target. I came across Curls and Shea Moisture. I literally stood there for 30 mins - 1hr deciding on which one I wanted.

If I chose Curls, I would get two products (Cream Brule, & Lavish Curls) equaling about $22, or the Shea Moisture Smoothie for $9.99. At one point I grabbed them both but just when I was getting into line I changed my mind, figuring I may need the money soon and such, and I got cheap, feeling a burn in the bank acount. On my way back I saw a rack dedicated to curly hair styling products! Miss Jessie's being on the top shelf. I thought, wow, they have Miss Jessie's too? I hear about that a lot, nice packaging.... $58.00??? Said what? It was Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercream I mean it was a big jar though but it still seemed overwhelming, and I guess if you're not heavy handed like me (working on it) then it won't matter either, it will seem like a tub of EcoStyler lol. Obviously a lot of women like her (their?) stuff or she wouldn't be able to sell it, so congrats to her, would love to be in her shoes!

Anyways, I ended up leaving with just the Shea Moisture Smoothie and some more scunci headbands...and a magazine. When I got home I was finally able to wash and condition my hair.

I shampooed with Aussie Moist, add the EVOO rinse, then V05 Moisturizing conditioner, and finally Aussie Moist Conditioner to detangle. After about 5-10 Minutes of gentle combing I finally rinsed the conditioner out and gave my hair a quick shake to remove water, and spritzed my hair with my AVJ mixture in hopes that it cuts back on frizz.

Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics9283
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics9284

Then I opened the jar of Shea Moisture

Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics9285

If you haven't smelled this stuff...just..just do it lol. It smells Fantastic! I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that my hair product makes me want to eat it (well almost).

So, I apply the cream and hated it. It did the same thing my shea Butter mixture did. But then I remembered I had found a solution for my shea butter. So I grabbed my water bottle, scooped up some of the cream into my palm, poured in some water and mixed it and finally I was happy! I think I may be able to pull this off in 30 degree weather. Suspect

At the moment, my hair still feels soft after 3 hours, and that's really I want. So regardless, here's the end result:

Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics9286
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics9287
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics9288
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 8th November 2010, 7:42 am

Hey Treece....

Like what you did with the smoothie...you hair came out nice!!!

Remember to keep a journal of what works and what doesn't. I didn't do that, and I would have great styles and couldn't re-create them. I didn't write down what I did or used....that was a little frustrating.
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 8th November 2010, 1:50 pm

Thank you KNH! That's a good idea on the journal. I really should do that since I try new "techniques" all the time lol.
-------

Here's my 2nd day curls, I always pull my hair back with a headband because the front flops in my face:

Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics10022
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics10023
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics10024
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 8th November 2010, 2:01 pm

Hey Treece! Your hair is so pretty...I really love your puff. I just bought the Shea Moisture Smoothie and Curl and Style Milk and they definitely take some getting used to I guess because shea is so high on the list. They do smell great though lol

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 8th November 2010, 2:37 pm

Thank you LaToya! ^_^

Did you like the Curl and Style Milk? I was eyeing that too but took the smoothie since water was the first ingredient. The curl and Style Milk seems more like a sealant but since coconut oil is first and has been shown to penetrate the hair shaft them maybe it could be moisturizing??

I would agree with the shea butter comment. Adding more water gives it a Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 consistency and helps a ton for me.

------------

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 8th November 2010, 8:38 pm

Hey Treece! Love your post on the SHea moisture Curl Smoothie I've been eyeing it at Target. I did get the Curl and Hibiscus Shampoo, but haven't tried it yet. I am a closet product junkie but i like to wait til i am finished with my curent products before i purchace a new one.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Hurricane Curly 8th November 2010, 9:16 pm

Hey Treece,

I love your story!!... And yes I would consider you a long term transitioner. I have tried the yellow shea butter and it does not work for me at all. It was heavy and weighed my hair down. But. I kept trying it because I really wanted to like it. Then I finally broke down and stopped. Then ChrsLvsBks told me about the different types and quality of shea butter. So, I ordered some of the white and wow! Its very pliable and melts in my hands and my hair loves it. Since it's getting cooler now I mix it with castor oil. What's in my spray bottle always changes, I might have to give your mix a try. Smile
Hurricane Curly
Hurricane Curly

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 8th November 2010, 10:52 pm

Hi Moore. Smile I wish I could do the same because I have a bunch of shampoos and conditioners just laying around, but I tend to just restoc up on what I ran out of lol.

Hi Hurricane! Thanks for the info about the other colors. I always knew there was different shades but I didn't think I mattered when I ordered it. It goes great on skin, I think, like Cocoa Butter, so if you have any left over maybe you could use it for that?? That was my plan anyways if I decided to order the Ivory.

If you're really interested in my mix this is what I put in it: 3oz AVJ, 1oz Rose Water, and I fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water (or whatever you like) which is about another 1-2oz. Let me know how you like it, and what you put in yours! I may have to test using it w/o AVJ to see if it really helps or not. I feel like a chemist sometimes lol.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 12th November 2010, 12:50 pm

Hey Treece...

I've been MIA...a post here and there, so I thought I would stop by and check on yah!! I see you had awesome 2nd day hair!! cheers

My hair does not like Shea Butter at all...it has to be way down the list of ingredients of any product I use, or it has to be mixed with other butters and tons of heavy oil!! Anywho....I use all of my old leave-in conditioners in my spray bottle with mineral water, jojoba oil, peppermint oil and lavendar oil. I love the way the peppermint oil in my mixter makes my scalp tingle!!

I read that peppermint oil is great for stimulating hair growth. So is Rosemary oil!! Just thought I would share that with you!

Keep up the good work!!!

TTYL
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 12th November 2010, 1:17 pm

Hey Treece,

I actually like the Shea Moisture Hair milk on dry hair to refresh my hair. I use it more as a moisturizer when my hair is dry. I tried it on wet hair and didn't like it, but when I was redoing a dry twistout I liked it much better.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 12th November 2010, 1:22 pm

Hi Treece,
I'm glad you found a way to make the smoothie work for you. I like that it dries faster and softer than gels. I love it on my twists as well. The milk is a pretty good moisturizer if your hair likes shea (mine doesn't). It makes my hair feel soft, but shea butter products tend to build up on my hair and make it look dull and feel gummy after a few days-which is also the case with the smoothie for me. I think I'll use what I have left and repurchase in the summer when I wash more frequently.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 13th November 2010, 10:15 pm

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:Hey Treece...

I've been MIA...a post here and there, so I thought I would stop by and check on yah!! I see you had awesome 2nd day hair!! cheers

My hair does not like Shea Butter at all...it has to be way down the list of ingredients of any product I use, or it has to be mixed with other butters and tons of heavy oil!! Anywho....I use all of my old leave-in conditioners in my spray bottle with mineral water, jojoba oil, peppermint oil and lavendar oil. I love the way the peppermint oil in my mixter makes my scalp tingle!!

I read that peppermint oil is great for stimulating hair growth. So is Rosemary oil!! Just thought I would share that with you!

Keep up the good work!!!

TTYL

I actually picked up some peppermint oil, and I have some left over TTO, so I was going to add that to some almond oil in an applicator bottle for my scalp. I'm hoping it will help keep away the terrible itchiness I get. I've heard about the tingle and peppermint just smells GOOD! The stimulated hair growth will just be a plus if it happens. Smile

Thanks for sharing that. Smile

krazy coils wrote:Hey Treece,

I actually like the Shea Moisture Hair milk on dry hair to refresh my hair. I use it more as a moisturizer when my hair is dry. I tried it on wet hair and didn't like it, but when I was redoing a dry twistout I liked it much better.

I think I will try the hair milk, I wasn't sure if I'd like it since it's oil based, but it doesn't hurt to try I guess!h

freckledmom4 wrote:Hi Treece,
I'm glad you found a way to make the smoothie work for you. I like that it dries faster and softer than gels. I love it on my twists as well. The milk is a pretty good moisturizer if your hair likes shea (mine doesn't). It makes my hair feel soft, but shea butter products tend to build up on my hair and make it look dull and feel gummy after a few days-which is also the case with the smoothie for me. I think I'll use what I have left and repurchase in the summer when I wash more frequently.

Thanks! So what have you used in stead of the shea moisture? It's a shame it can't be the universal product (I have to face facts that there never will be). I'm super hooked on the smell lol.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 14th November 2010, 2:15 am

love your CSJ treece just stopping by and gorgeous hair gurl! Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 14th November 2010, 9:57 am

ok so how in the world did i ever miss ur thread? i love it. what a great story. i need to catch up on ur blog too! so glad u got the writing bug cuz its like therapy. i have no idea where the craziest things that pop outta my mind come from. i did use to tell my mom i was from Mars alien

so how did u manage to survive as a long term transitioner? i think u made a good choice in choosing the shea moisture over the target brand curls line. i havent tried it but i havent heard many raves over the target one so when i do finally try it, im goin for the original version; which u may have to order online unless salons have em.

i've yet to use rosewater and its on my 'to do' list, as far as the shea; i do prefer the yellow one for my skin only. the only shea butter i used whipped for my hair is kbn though which im sure you'll love if u try it. hahaha u would think im a spokesperson, lol. but no really, even though u can make it urself with the oils n etc added, im too lazy n just prefer to buy it Razz i had got the mango butter last year (bnb) n didnt get around to mixin it cuz my brother ruffed it to use on his skin Rolling Eyes also on my 'to do' list is to do a shea/mango n cocoa butter combo with some oils. i knw it'll be awesome on my skin but i wanna see the effects on my hair!

ur in good hands with these laydeez! do u have any favorite products yet? or something ur anxious to try?
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 14th November 2010, 10:28 am

hahahaha i love ur blog! u remind me of...me Cool
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 14th November 2010, 11:24 am

NubieNatty wrote:ok so how in the world did i ever miss ur thread? i love it. what a great story. i need to catch up on ur blog too! so glad u got the writing bug cuz its like therapy. i have no idea where the craziest things that pop outta my mind come from. i did use to tell my mom i was from Mars alien

so how did u manage to survive as a long term transitioner? i think u made a good choice in choosing the shea moisture over the target brand curls line. i havent tried it but i havent heard many raves over the target one so when i do finally try it, im goin for the original version; which u may have to order online unless salons have em.

i've yet to use rosewater and its on my 'to do' list, as far as the shea; i do prefer the yellow one for my skin only. the only shea butter i used whipped for my hair is kbn though which im sure you'll love if u try it. hahaha u would think im a spokesperson, lol. but no really, even though u can make it urself with the oils n etc added, im too lazy n just prefer to buy it Razz i had got the mango butter last year (bnb) n didnt get around to mixin it cuz my brother ruffed it to use on his skin Rolling Eyes also on my 'to do' list is to do a shea/mango n cocoa butter combo with some oils. i knw it'll be awesome on my skin but i wanna see the effects on my hair!

ur in good hands with these laydeez! do u have any favorite products yet? or something ur anxious to try?

Thank you for stopping by Nubie! I feel the same way about my own thoughts. My DB tells me I'm random all the time!

Making it as a long term transitioner, girl I don't even know. It was easy at first, but after awhile I just let go. I started doing ponytails the majority of the time for the last like.. 4 - 6 months and trying to get the smoothest ponytail was my goal. Too bad I purchased EcoStyler AFTER the BC. I don't think all the stretching was good either.

I had no clue that the one sold in Target was different, it's too bad, I'm not too big on S&H, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

What's KBN? After the mess I made with my shea butter, I think buying something would be just fine lol, can't give up yet though. That's too bad your brother used your mango butter! It sounds like it smells "fruity", but I'm guessing it didn't if he used it! My DB won't touch my lotion.. I would love to hear how that mix works for you though. Gotta love butta!

Hmmm. My favorite Shampoo and Conditioner is Aussie Moist, great smell and the Condit gives a great slip, but I'm cheating with HEHH too. Suspect Even though I love the Shea Moisture, I'm not ready to claim a favorite moisturizer, but girl I was eyeing the Miss Jessie's real hard lol. I just don't have the money for all that! That's really about it. My favorite oil is Jojoba, but I only put it on when styling, not for WnGs
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 14th November 2010, 12:26 pm

Ok is this really my first visit? I love your curls! And I am jealous you found shea moisture at target! The ones by me suck! Lol! Great second day hair btw! Very Happy
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 14th November 2010, 3:00 pm

It's not, your on the first page. Very Happy I think the Walmart's by me suck (not that one isn't popping up in every shopping center), Have you tried all the Target's within "range"? Thanks for the compliment. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 14th November 2010, 4:33 pm

lol, mango butter (unrefined) doesnt have a scent. i thought the same thing when i opened it. i kept my nose in the tub for like 5 min thinking "where is the mango scent". its alot harder or shall i say...more firm than shea. i love aussie moist (and smooth too) i got both of em in the family size w/the pump Very Happy so when u see it on sale for $5 grab it!! u are not cheating wit the HE HH, that comes in handy and is definitely good for the winter time. now THAT should come wit a pump as thick as it is Rolling Eyes i did the 3 min miracle when i had a twa so i know dmn well with as much hair as YOU rockin that one lil tube is ONE application, lol.

KBN is koils by nature http://koilsbynature.com/ you wont be disappointed. i would send u some, cuz the owner is local to me but i've pretty much given all my jars away n im down to 2. i need to re-up on my mango scent THIS one actually smells like mango's, lol and my other jar is for my son! im not gonna spark ur pj-ism but u gotta try it, even if its just the sample packs!

as far as the MJ (miss jessie's) u better off ordering it with the BOGO sale, which is what i did last year. i wanna try the curly pudding but i dare NOT spend $60...oooh no! i used MJ when i first started my journey last year n i started out wit the curly buttercreme. i didnt like it cuz i had too much build up IF used daily and i didnt like how u cant mix em with any other products or else u'll get those white ballz Evil or Very Mad i did however, get the baby buttercreme (from the bogo) with much better results but again, build up after a few days and my hair feels icky about Day 3 or 4. u get some EXCELLENT twist outs though. the curly meringue i didnt like at all becuz my hair felt dry from the moment i slathered it on and it dried kinda crunchy n felt like hay Crying or Very sad the rapid recovery which is the DC, is/was one of my fav's. i didnt even care that it didnt smell good cuz the results are awesome! hooooooowever, since i've been finding other DC's that have topped it, i wont repurchase anymore.
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 14th November 2010, 7:11 pm

Awww, I think it woulda been nice for the Mango butter to have a scent. I just figured though since Shea butter has such a strong scent! I also didn't find the shea too firm, but then again my room is warm since I'm a freeze baby, but even out of the fridge it warms up quick with no problem.

I think the pump would be way more convenient than flipping a bottle over every single time...and sometimes...it's slippery.. It would probably last forever too, I don't go through too many of em.

I actually have the 3 Min repair and I've used it's twice..and yes it's almost empty lol.

Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it and thankfully her prices look very reasonable, so I can't wait to try it out, but I'll be keeping the PJbug away until after Christmas. What products have you tried from there?

You're comments on MJ are very helpful lol. Gives me a good reason not to try it, on top of the fact that I'd have to rob a bank first.. silent
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 14th November 2010, 9:08 pm

Let's see:

I love your hair.

If something doesn't work don't forget we have a swap forum here!

You can buy a pump for a bottle at Sally's for dirt cheap. That's what I did for my giant bottle of Tresemme.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 15th November 2010, 12:16 pm

PaganWifey wrote:Let's see:

I love your hair.

If something doesn't work don't forget we have a swap forum here!

You can buy a pump for a bottle at Sally's for dirt cheap. That's what I did for my giant bottle of Tresemme.

Thank you! I didn't know you could get pumps @ Sally's!I'll have to check it out, or at least try this BSS near me.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th November 2010, 12:45 pm

I dropped the bottle of Tressemme on my toe and headed straight to Sally's. Broken toes are not cute.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 15th November 2010, 1:13 pm

Okay, so DB is sleeping nice and soundly, and as I sit here bored (and could be doing a paper that I promised myself to do after this) I decided, why not update on my braids. I'm still wearing them, but I guess because of the way I sleep the front doesn't lay down anymore. it doesn't bother me because I pin the front back anyways. I have not co-washed yet like I planned and my scalp is not too bad but it's getting there. The braids are a little frizz, and I should probably moisturize them today too. All kinds of bad going on lol. So here are the pics, Sorry they're a bit blurry. Sad

Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics12030crop
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics12028crop
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics12027
Treece: Braid Out - Page 2 MicroSDPics12026

So there ya go!
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down