CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treece: Braid Out

+20
naturallychelsea
Hurricane Curly
Nikcoils
LaToya28
Ladybug83
KeAnia
freckledmom4
CocoEuro
kim
sweetdrk1
poeticlyspkng
SheeTacular
CrissyQ
BellaLuna
swoodward
mrsmackey
BrownSkinDiva
krazy coils
KinkyNappyHappy
Treece
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Treece: Braid Out Empty Treece: Braid Out

Post by Treece 14th October 2010, 2:45 am

I guess I feel like I should make a Curly Journal. Very Happy I don't blog much (even though I do like to write), but I'm always on Curly Nikki, so, I guess this is a combination of the two! Plus I'm feeling the Writing Bug.

From The Beginning
Treece: Braid Out YoungMe5
I begged my mom for a relaxer, that's how it started. I had a terrible self esteem and people made fun of my thick nappy hair. My mom made me wait, but for my 13th birthday, my mom granted my wish and I got my first relaxer.
Treece: Braid Out YoungMe3
All was right with the world. My hair was long, and smooth and silky, and when I went back to school, I get tons of compliments on my freshly tamed hair. Then, having switched hairstylists, I was told my hair was breaking. Being 13 almost 14 and having my first relaxer I didn't know what breaking meant or what to look for! I got my hair cut to my shoulders as a result. It grew back, but it was never where my hair was when I got my first relaxer.

Fast forward 6 more years and here I am writing something similar to a diary entry about the big mistake I had made due to peer pressure. I think my mom would have eventually gave in and given me a relaxer anyways, considering the way she spoke about my transitioning hair. So now to begin with my FIRST transition, yes I did do it once before. I always believe that to have a good recovery, you have to relapse. I've never given up a habit without relapsing first.

I decided to transition the first time because going away to college I had no one else doing my hair (my stylist in another city). I don't trust anyone with my hair and on top of that I was broke anyways since I would be staying on campus and not working. Plus, as my hair sat growing, untamed now, I wondered: why did I get my hair relaxed in the first place? For someone else? What about me? And what was wrong with the hair I was born with? So I decided to just let my hair grow. I didn't know what to do with it though, it never looked cute! I didn't have the support of friends (because they didn't know) or a wonderful forum like this for hair tips, so when Christmas break rolled in, I gave in and got a relaxer.

The next year came around and it was time for me to head back to College once again. This time I vowed to make it through, and I got one last relaxer for good luck. These pics aren't specifically from my last relaxer, but just a snippet of what I left behind. They do happen to be from my first year of college though.
Treece: Braid Out 000_1632
Treece: Braid Out 000_1619
Treece: Braid Out 000_1618
Then began the long journey to natural freedom. Breakage, ripping, knotting, crying, it all went down...well, maybe not crying, but everything else, and then some, yes. When do you say enough is enough? All I knew is that this time around I wasn't going to quit. I wanted to be a long-term transitioner and having made it past a year, I think I can say I am, but maybe not in the eyes of those who transitioned for 2 years, hard work indeed. My stylist talked me out of my most recent desire to get my hair cut, and at the time it was probably better, I may just have regretted my decision had I done it then.
Treece: Braid Out 0531101813-02
Treece: Braid Out 0429101119-01
Treece: Braid Out 0411101719-00-1
Treece: Braid Out MicroSDPics8025
Treece: Braid Out MicroSDPics8031
After 13 1/2 long months I made the decision to do the big chop. I purchased a pair of Barber Shears, and at ~1 AM on 10-11-10 I cut the first piece off.
Treece: Braid Out 1011100120-00
And ended up with this:
Treece: Braid Out 1011100238-01
Today, I'm the proud owner of a head of curly locks that I can embrace and show off, and be proud to do so...
Treece: Braid Out 1012100912-01
Treece: Braid Out 1012100910-01
My First Braid Out

More to come, hope you enjoyed. Very Happy

Last edited by Treece on 17th November 2010, 8:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Treece: Braid Out Empty Re: Treece: Braid Out

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 14th October 2010, 8:18 am

Hi Treece

Congratulations on your BC!!! woot! I enjoyed reading about your journey to this point. It takes patience to transition as long as you did, and it shows you were serious about reaching goal this second time around.

Your natural curls are beautiful, and you are so going to love this natural forum. Welcome to CS!! Headed to your blog now!!

Happy growing and all things healthy hair!!

KNH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 14th October 2010, 8:22 am

Love your blog spot!! You've been at this for a minute!! Very Happy

I'm a follower now the one with no picture...LOL I haven't figured out how to add a picture on this particular blog spot.

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 14th October 2010, 8:52 am

Congratulations on your BC and welcome to Curl Street!
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 14th October 2010, 1:55 pm

Thank you Ladies!

KinkyNappyHappy: I'm glad that it wasn't too boring lol. I'm not much an active blogger but I tried. I love reading other blogs so I joined yours as well. Smile

Here's how to add a picture to your blogspot. Go to: htttp://www,blogspot.com then go to "Edit Photo" It should be to the left underneath your name. If it's not there, go to "Edit Profile" and somewhere in the middle is the "Photograph" section. HTH Smile

EDIT: Okay I'm silly, you don't have blogspot lol. It may be the same as if you go to onsugar.com though...if you haven't tried that already
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 14th October 2010, 2:27 pm

congrats on your BC and welcome to curlstreet Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsmackey 14th October 2010, 4:30 pm

CONGRATS!!!! NICE HAIR!
mrsmackey
mrsmackey

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 14th October 2010, 10:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your story!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 14th October 2010, 10:35 pm

Thank you ladies! Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaLuna 14th October 2010, 10:36 pm

Congrats!!! Lovely hair Smile
BellaLuna
BellaLuna

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 15th October 2010, 12:25 am

Thank you. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 19th October 2010, 1:30 pm

just stopping by to say hi,
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 19th October 2010, 1:37 pm

Hey Crissy, thanks for stopping by! Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19th October 2010, 1:42 pm

ur hair is cute! good for u Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 19th October 2010, 5:06 pm

Thank you. Smile
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 19th October 2010, 6:37 pm

Welcome!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 20th October 2010, 11:36 am

Hey Treece- fellow Ohioan! Congrats on your big chop! You're the real deal- a do-it-yourself-er! I was scared to do that! But I enjoyed reading about your journey, your curls are lovely and can't wait to follow your story as it progresses
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th October 2010, 11:56 am

Welcome to curl street! Love your story! I will check out the blog later!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by kim 20th October 2010, 6:13 pm

All the best on the natural journey. I enjoyed reading your story.
kim
kim

http://msdumfries.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 21st October 2010, 11:23 am

Welcome to curl street!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 21st October 2010, 4:31 pm

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your story! I love your curls! Congrats again!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 22nd October 2010, 10:41 pm

Hi Welcome to CS.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 23rd October 2010, 11:43 am

Congrats on the big chop. Your hair is beautiful!

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 23rd October 2010, 11:53 pm

Thanks to all the ladies for the compliments, welcomes, and congratulations. Smile
---------------------
Today I Deep Conditioned with Pantene's Pro-V Curly Deep Moisturizing. And I also finally made my first Shea Butter Mixture. Did not like it all and on top of that, I used a food processor to mix the shea butter and whip it, and the butter just made a complete mess! I'm so disappointed but I think the mixture will be nice for my skin. I think I've also learned a lesson to just mix in a container. I mean, I spent I don't know how long cleaning everything trying to get the greasy feeling off and it wouldn't budge! It's still greasy! I can't imagine how that would be on my hair, to try to get it off (which the little bit seamed to have come off with shampoo). I also ended up cutting my finger cleaning the blade, which I kept saying to myself... watch for the blade, watch for the blade, and I still cut myself, 3 times actually, but the other 2 times only cut the skin.

I got the yellow shea butter, by choosing no preference when I ordered, and so, I don't know if maybe the ivory one would be any different. But the butter didn't glide on my hair like I thought it would, I don't even know how to describe it! And I guess because of the yellow color, it tinted my hair and made it look, grayish. It dried my hair out immensely, just terrible. But at least I was able to try it for myself. But it goes on great on my skin. At least I know it's not a waste in that regard, it was kinda like putting cocoa butter on. Maybe I'll try mango Butter, or even Cocoa for my hair. Hopefully not for the same results.

In other news, I tried another talked about product, Aloe Vera Juice. Hate the smell, don't even think I could dare to drink it lol. I mixed it with Rose water, and Bottled Water (the tap water here is gross) in a spray bottle. I'm not sure if the rose water increased the intense of the smell, but I guess I'll find out when I finish the spray!

So that's all for now!
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 24th October 2010, 3:11 pm

Here's my take - shea butter is a great sealer. Just like silicones, it keeps everything in its place. It also evaporates - or something. To me, it also acts like a humectant. It draws moisture to it and when it evaporates or dries, it takes the moisture with it. Bottom line? It is not a good moisturizer for me. Like a butter it's got to be warm to spread. And a little goes a long way.

Try mixing shea butter with aloe vera juice. I have tried it mixed with aloe vera gel and the effect is not the same. The juice gives the shea butter something to grip and makes it softer and easier to work with. I prefer to use it exclusively as a sealer on top of a leave-in. Like this, it keeps my hair well moisturized for days at a time. It's so good mixed with the aloe vera juice that I only use it in warm months. It's too dang heavy for summer.

Other ladies seem to use it well as a moisturizer but it doesn't work for me. I don't know why it works so well for some and not for others. Some swear by it plain.

My sis gave me this recipe: Keep the butter in the kitchen or in a warm room until soft. Slowly add a little aloe vera juice at a time to about 4 oz of softened, shea butter. Add a little at a time and stir. Keep adding the juice slowly while stirring until the mix becomes creamy like cake frosting. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to use. Shea mixed with aloe will never get as hard as shea alone so you can still dip, warm in your hands and apply.

(I am planning to use a mango shea mix this winter).
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next