CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey

+8
DvaAuNaturel
kim
SheeTacular
krazy coils
cyclingchick
CrissyQ
summerbreeze76
DaButterflyBAP
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey Empty ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey

Post by DaButterflyBAP 18th September 2010, 10:31 am

Hi! Guess what? Today is my one month curliversary! Yay! I have so much to share.

Wednesday I went to the hair shop. My hair guy asked if I had any regrets.

Back story - My mother made the decision to relax my hair when I was eight years old. She thought that she was being a good mother and that *they* wouldn't do anything that would be harmful to black women. So, she thought that it would be best for the two of us (she has 3-something hair) to get relaxers.

We have both gone through all of these years from long hair that flourished and was thick and healthy to thin, shedding, lifeless hair. Cycles of breakage plagued our journey. She stopped getting relaxers six years ago. She would flat iron.

About two years ago, we started going to my hair guy. From day one, he pulled me aside and said, "WHY are you getting relaxers?" I was like, "Don't I need one?" He said, "You don't need anything. You really need to consider wearing virgin hair. You have a thin/weak patch. I'm afraid that it will get bigger."

He convinced my mother to wear her hair curly about a year and a half ago. Meanwhile, I spent a year and a half researching natural hair styles and watching 80% of his client base convert to virgin hair.

In March, I decided that I had enough and was going to transition. I thought that I would have a longer transition period. I transitioned for six months. One day I got tired of dealing with two textures and went in and did the big chop.

So, when my hair guy asked if I had any regrets. I answered that I did.

I regret not doing it sooner. I think about how I could have been more active this summer, but I was too busy transitionin'.

I. Love. My. Hair!

Last edited by DaButterflyBAP on 19th October 2010, 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey Empty Re: ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey

Post by DaButterflyBAP 18th September 2010, 10:35 am

Oh yeah. Today I am going to be in a fashion photo shoot with other naturals. I'm representin' for the TWA wearers. Wink
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 18th September 2010, 11:02 am

Good for you! Your TWA is smokin.
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 18th September 2010, 11:16 am

love your story, your hair looks great. You better represent today for the TWA-ers. Have fun!
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 18th September 2010, 11:27 am

Hey Diva! Thanks for the birthday wishes and happy 1 month to you too! I am feeling the same way...why did I wait so long to go natural?!?

Have fun at the photo shoot...I know you're going to rock it...can't wait to see pics! cheers
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 18th September 2010, 3:08 pm

Welcome to curl street! Love your story and I look forward to following your hair journey.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by SheeTacular 18th September 2010, 5:34 pm

Loved your story!! Welcome to the block!!
SheeTacular
SheeTacular

http://www.ThoughtsInspirationsEtc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 19th September 2010, 12:42 pm

Hey y'all. The shoot was sooo much fun. It is hard work. Models should get paid every dime they make.

OK. Here's what we had. We had two curly TWAs, 1 Frohawk, 1 Caesar, 1 mid-length curly 'fro, 3 big huge fros (there were a set of twins!). We all wore black outfits and serious shoes. We did three scenarios - studio shoot (against white walls), street scene, and a dark dank hallway scene. I can't WAIT to see the pictures.

The name of the exhibit is "I Dream Of You". It is highlighting the beauty in being a woman with no relaxers. There have been exhibits with women of all ages, shapes, sizes, hair textures, lengths...It was a very empowering experience.

The unveiling and reception is in two weeks. If you are from the St. Louis area, send me a PM and I will share the details.

Here's a shot that I did at the studio...

ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey 49150_1277440704_4981_n
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 19th September 2010, 12:56 pm

I guess one day I'll have a routine and I'll talk about it. LOL!

One thing that I will say is that my hair guy said that I shouldn't co-wash my hair every day. I agree with his sentiment. It took a few weeks for me to recognize that my hair looks better on the second day and every fly-er on the third day. That makes it easier for me. Especially now that the winter is approaching.

In terms of products, I use:
Trader Joe Shampoo (once a week or so)
Shea Moisture (every other week)
Trader Joe Conditioner (for co-wash)
Coconut Oil, Olive Oil or Aloxxi Oil (for oil or pre-washes)
Eco Styler Olive Oil gel (I love this stuff)

I have tried Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. I love the results! However, I refuse to buy a bottle because I don't like the way it smells. Blech!

One thing that is getting on my nerves is the question, "What are you going to do with your hair?" I can't figure out if I am mad because of the question or because I really don't know what I am going to do with it.
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by kim 19th September 2010, 5:54 pm

very nice TWA
kim
kim

http://msdumfries.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 20th September 2010, 10:12 pm

Thanks Kim! I love it! I never would have thought that I would rock this look and feel extremely feminine.

Whodathunk it?
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st September 2010, 10:47 am

Hey DaButterflyBAP,
I enjoyed reading your story. Your hair guy is the bomb IMO. It's rare to hear of stylists who encourage going natural - that's awesome.

Looking forward to more pics of the model shoot. That sounds like fun and the pics you describe sound amazing. How empowering.

Had to check out a fellow TWA'er after the shoutout from Cycling Chick. I recently re-choppedn after 6 mos. so I could color my hair since color would not take on top of my henna/indigo colored hair. I've come to terms with my hair and it's length. It is what is is and my hair is healthy. Just rocking it best I know how. Your TWA is really cute...I like the cut/shape. It looks a little tapered.

How often do you co-wash now since your stylist recommended you stop doing it daily? Did he say why daily was not the best to do?

Have a great day!

~Dva
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 21st September 2010, 12:43 pm

Hi Diva. He is pretty cool. I was paying $$$ for a relaxer, color and cut PLUS in between maintenance. Far more than any other hair stylists. He could have continued to accept my money to the detriment of my hair but he didn't.

I have been co-washing it every three days. He didn't say that it was bad for me to daily co-wash. He said that he thinks it looks better once the curls have relaxed and expanded.

I was daily co-washing because:
1. I could. Never would I have imagined that I could have wash n go hair. LOL
2. I like the well defined curl look. I wanted it to be moist looking at all times. If I had my way, I would add some jheri curl juice to this! LOL Actually, before I BC'ed, I sent him an email asking if my hair would look crispy or dry/dull.

But I live in a very cold winter climate. I don't want to leave home with a wet head, so I am thinking of how I can stretch a wash.
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 22nd September 2010, 11:22 pm

Well, since we are cool....

Um. I should have given more HEAT!!! I was tired and hot. I can't wait to see the rest! Smile

ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey 63287_1520554508113_1662061035_1252914_4909329_n
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 23rd September 2010, 12:57 pm

What a cool photo!
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 23rd September 2010, 12:59 pm

That is a nice pic. You guys are showin off
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 28th September 2010, 9:01 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I am soooo excited about the exhibit.

Here's the promotional article...

http://www.stlamerican.com/articles/2010/09/22/entertainment/living_it/livingit03.txt

I also gave an interview...I hope that I represented US well. Smile

I am honored to be a part of it. Especially since I am newly natural!
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 29th September 2010, 2:26 pm

Aww...wish I could be up there for the exhibit. What an inspiring project. I'm going to post the article on FB. Smile
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 29th September 2010, 6:29 pm

Smile My hair guy HATES the article. He felt that they had the opportunity to show the beauty of natural hair and they chose to use the word "nappy". Also, that little tidbit "to be fair our staff member has planned".

I had to tell him that it was a local newspaper. A local paper that has the reputation of doing a really good job of promo'ing someone's rump shaker house party than show something to make you think.

LOL!
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 10th October 2010, 8:17 am

I am a body butter addict. It is a luxury to buy the Mango Shea Butter from Carol's Daughter. When she changed the smell, it wasn't right.

So, this morning I am thinking that I can buy a tub of raw shea butter for $10. I can get a drop of essential oil. I have every other oil that you can imagine.

I am about to go BACK in the kitchen.
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 10th October 2010, 8:36 am

First I would like to say congratulations on you BC, so it has taken me so long to get here. CS has gotten so large that I it takes me a while to make it to everyone's house. :-)

Love your hair, and you should be thankful for your hair man. (cute name) I couldn't see all of the pictures, but the few I saw were beautiful.

Good luck on your journey, and watch how fast your hair is going to grow.

KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 10th October 2010, 10:47 am

DaButterflyBAP wrote:I am a body butter addict. It is a luxury to buy the Mango Shea Butter from Carol's Daughter. When she changed the smell, it wasn't right.

So, this morning I am thinking that I can buy a tub of raw shea butter for $10. I can get a drop of essential oil. I have every other oil that you can imagine.

I am about to go BACK in the kitchen.

LOL, you sound like a mad scientist Laughing Hope it works for you. We need som pic of the hair, I know it has grown.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 10th October 2010, 11:10 am

Thanks for the compliments KinkyHappyCurly! I really appreciate it. I used to look at everyone's pictures and hope that my hair would at least look decent.

Crissy - The ?Afroveda controversy has me tripping. It shows me that I better learn to do my own thing because no products are guaranteed!

I have researched ingredients and such this morning. I purchased said ingredients. Now I am going to run to Old Time Pottery to find "jars". Yep. I'm being fancy with it.

Who remembers when Carol's Daughters products came in glass jars with metal latches? I remember that I had a friend SHIP me products from the New York Store (like that was cost effective). I remember freaking for a scrub that had real rose petals in it. Man. Those were the good ol' days.
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 11th October 2010, 3:01 pm

love the avi.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 16th October 2010, 11:03 am

Hey ladies! I am currently sitting under the huetiful. I got my hair colored on Wednesday and I think that I should baby my hair and scalp. So, I am steaming with a dose of Shea Moisture deep treatmeant masque. Then I'll do a condition wash with something fruity (V05).

After I am done...

Well, see um. Product junky-ism hit me last week. I did a youtube search on Kinky Kurly Curling Custard and TWA and 4A. I had to have it. So, I RAN to Target and bought a small container.

I am going to use it for styling. I'll post a review and an after photo.

My mother (who is a thin, fine 3A used it). OMG! Her curls were very well defined. We hated the results. It emphasized how thin her hair is. We could see her scalp. We could read what was on her mind. She said, "I can't WAIT to wash this out!"

In case you wondered...

ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey 61131_1613944709989_1277440704_1684644_8347876_n

I also got my first natural hair shirt. Notice that I said first. I got the !Regret t-shirt.

ButterflyBAP's Hair Journey Regret11

I was very impressed with the quality and sizing of the t-shirt. Sometimes I buy tees and they are sooo tight and feel cheap. This is a soft cotton, but it doesn't feel like it is going to shrink. My only complaint is that I like a baby t-shirt. This ain't a baby t. But I love it!

I am going to see my style icon tonight...Mary J. Blige. Wink

Have a good one!
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next