CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hairyuveda Challenge

+50
Ladybird
K.DES
slimwithabs
ginabina
ajsimmons8
dajewel
SCRUG_A_LICIOUS
noski
misskris
Sebastain13
SheeTacular
bajangyrl
Choctaw
jamaicacurl
swoodward
CrissyQ
Alanija
tshala
libs2001
Karyn
Curlock Holmes
s4pphir3
Natural-In_Me
jasikazenith
KeAnia
naturalnat
Steveburner
Keesh
DMCC
Kurly4theKid
Carolina Natural
Ms Hood
adamseve
letha
CurlyCaramelCutie
envizionj
Brainiac
AfrikanLatina
freckledmom4
curlydpm
krazy coils
newday
TerraD
carfi366
ChrsLvsBks
KinkyNappyHappy
NubieNatty
gennatay
Juices-n-Berries
ButterQueen
54 posters

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

Hairyuveda Challenge - Page 16 Empty Re: Hairyuveda Challenge

Post by carfi366 14th August 2010, 7:35 pm

keania wrote:Wow

This sounds really interesting. I have read a couple of the pages but I have to go back and read a lot of the others to really understand all of this new stuff. I would love to try some of these powders and oils but where can I get them from. I live in Bossier City and there are no Indian stores here that I know of. I have asked a few of the Indian families I work with and they have told me that the closest Indian stores are in Dallas or Houston.
Help guys I want to do everything I can to make and keep my hair healthy.

Keania I order my ayurvedic products on-line from www.butters-n-bars.com. I have read other posts with other websites also and hopefully those bellas with chime in with the website. Hope you have as great an experince with the ayurvedics as I have. My hair is healthier, stronger and not shedding as much since I started the challenge. I'm relaxing right now in hair mask of brahmi, maka and neem powders.

Last edited by carfi366 on 14th August 2010, 7:46 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : correct link)
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 14th August 2010, 7:47 pm

This sounds really interesting. I have read a couple of the pages but I have to go back and read a lot of the others to really understand all of this new stuff. I would love to try some of these powders and oils but where can I get them from. I live in Bossier City and there are no Indian stores here that I know of. I have asked a few of the Indian families I work with and they have told me that the closest Indian stores are in Dallas or Houston.

The correct wubsite is www.butters-n-bars.com
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalnat 14th August 2010, 9:16 pm

naturalnat wrote:Thanks Bfor the infor about the oils Butter Queen.

I did a Henna treatment with Dulhan Henna on Saturday. I mixed it by adding 2 cups of green tea, some honey and a bit of giovanni conditioner. If anyone has some other good recipes for Reshma or Dulhan brand, please do share!!

Twisted my hair for the week (I'm part of a protective style challenge as well).

I'll add some more Vatika oil mid week and get ready for my Ayurvedic pre-poo treatment Saturday. The one I found includes a mixture of the Neem, Brahmi and Methi powders. I was excited about it until reading Carolina Natural's post about the smell... I hope the mix isn't too bad.

Question... do you clarify before the ayurvedic treatments? (I have a lot to learn about ayurvedic)

ButterQueen wrote:Naturalnat,
have you tried just using the henna alone without conditioner, the method you used is more of a gloss recipe?
You can mix with something as simple as henna and amla powder and water!
as far as clarifying beforehand what I find is if I'm using a cleansing powder like shikakai or jaswand or aritha powders which also cleanse then there is no to do a pre-wash or clarify. So to mix for example
100 grams of henna
50 grams of shikakai
lemon juice
since the mix has a cleansing powder you dont have that extra chore its a one step process, but just to henna without those kinds of powders you need to start with a clean head of hair for best results

I normally don't add the conditioner, but decided to give it a try. Everything else I got from curlynikki's henna tutorial. The conditioner really didn't make much of a difference, so I probanly wouldn't use it again.

Next month for my henna treatment, I will give that mix you mentioned a try.

What's a henna gloss? I have some leftover henna and thought it could be made into a gloss. Is that possible?

Does anyone use Brahmi Oil? If so, how??
naturalnat
naturalnat

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 14th August 2010, 9:46 pm

@ Natural Nat, the conditioner is what makes it a gloss from my understanding.

I did my amla gloss today-just 1/4 c of amla and gvp conditioning balm and left it on for about 2 hrs (had a lot of mopping to do [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ).
I just rinsed until the water was clear and my hair felt soft and silky. My curls are popping now, but I forgot to coat my hair with oil before I appled the powder so my hair is a little dry now, but I know the moisture will return in a few days.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 15th August 2010, 1:16 am

Ok so I have been reading and reading and reading and learning all kinds of new terms and ways to condish. I have a couple of questions.
1. We have some aloe vera plants andI want to use the juice for my hair what do I have to do and is there an oil I need to mix it with.
2. I have some left over henna(not BAQ. I didn't know the importance when I purchased) in the freezer and I want to do a gloss can I add some pepprika for color?
3. My daughter is 4 and I want to know is she to young to put some cassia on her hair for a good strengthening?
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 15th August 2010, 9:08 am

Hi Keania

You can purchases the powders and oils from this link...http://butters-n-bars.com/ I usually purchased my henna and hibiscus from this link http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/ only because I did my first henna using products bought from AyurNaturalBeauty...and I'm scared to switch.

HTH
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by KinkyNappyHappy 15th August 2010, 9:19 am

I did another henna Thursday with the henna I had left over from two weeks ago. I had enough to cover my entire head, but I mainly concentrated on the roots..(to cover the grey)

I think I can live with a deep purple...LOL My roots are so dark that unless I'm under some sort of light you can still only see the color on the ends!!

I'll keep posting updates,(as I henna) and I'll post a picture as soon as I achieve the color I'm looking for!!
KinkyNappyHappy
KinkyNappyHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 15th August 2010, 6:22 pm

Envizionj thanks for the powder mix suggestion. I mixed 4tbspns brahmi, 2 tbspns maka and 2 tbspns of neem with water. Plastered my entire head, put on a plastic conditioning cap and enjoyed the rest of the day.Left it on for 5 hours rinsed with water and detangeld eith Yes To Carrots. Curls popping everywhere and hair soft as silk. Tried the tightly curly method hair really curly and full. Will try to post pics later.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 16th August 2010, 10:57 am

Sooooo...... i made a mix with all my herbs & I added a little bit of neil oil, tea tree oil and jojoba oil & water until I got a nice paste. Placed a placed cap on my head along with the steam cap from treasured locks. Sat with the steam cap for 2 hours and rinsed out the powders then I conditioned with VO5 moisture milk, but my hair didn't feel to moisturized so I followed that with Oyin honey hemp and sealed with jojoba oil. I did a twist and curl and went to bed. This moring my hair was felt nice and strong. Came to work thinking I was cure when i smelled something that smelled like fresh cut wild onions. I paid it no attention because I thought maybe they had cut the grass until....... the odor kept following me. Low & behold the odor was coming from me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . That darm neem oil struck again and had me smelling like fresh cut wild onions. The tea tree oil was not enough to combat the funk from the neem oil. At least my hair looks cute even if it doesn't smell that way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 16th August 2010, 11:27 am

Carolina Natural wrote:Sooooo...... i made a mix with all my herbs & I added a little bit of neil oil, tea tree oil and jojoba oil & water until I got a nice paste. Placed a placed cap on my head along with the steam cap from treasured locks. Sat with the steam cap for 2 hours and rinsed out the powders then I conditioned with VO5 moisture milk, but my hair didn't feel to moisturized so I followed that with Oyin honey hemp and sealed with jojoba oil. I did a twist and curl and went to bed. This moring my hair was felt nice and strong. Came to work thinking I was cure when i smelled something that smelled like fresh cut wild onions. I paid it no attention because I thought maybe they had cut the grass until....... the odor kept following me. Low & behold the odor was coming from me [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . That darm neem oil struck again and had me smelling like fresh cut wild onions. The tea tree oil was not enough to combat the funk from the neem oil. At least my hair looks cute even if it doesn't smell that way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LOL, love this story because I had a similar experince the first time I used neem oil. It's a powerfully good oil with a just as powerful funk, but it keeps my scalp and hair healthy. I try to now use it with amla gold or as a pre-poo. The neem powder is also good without the funk. But good consolation your hair feels and looks good.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 16th August 2010, 11:42 am

My scalp looks wonderful & my hair feels good, but the funk oh lawd ham mercy. Good thing I'm married cause my husband doesn't care what I smell like (ok, that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean) this is a smell only people in love can deal with. Even after I wash it out or use other products the funk fights it way through!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 16th August 2010, 1:41 pm

Carolina Natural wrote:My scalp looks wonderful & my hair feels good, but the funk oh lawd ham mercy. Good thing I'm married cause my husband doesn't care what I smell like (ok, that didn't come out right, but you know what I mean) this is a smell only people in love can deal with. Even after I wash it out or use other products the funk fights it way through!

LOL! Try peppermint oil. It does a decent job of masking the smell. I try to use it as a prepoo because it seems ike the smell intensifies when I go out in the hot sun.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 16th August 2010, 2:12 pm

@ freckledmom4, maybe the sun is the culprit. I didn't smell as bad when I was in the house, but once i hit that door and the sun hit my head I started smelling onions. I'll try pepermint oil next time because I didn't really like the smell of the tea tree either.

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 17th August 2010, 1:49 pm

@carolinanatural, I think all of us who have used neem oil or know what it smells like have been there. That stuff is potent. I hope the peppermint EO helps 'cause I know cleansing can be a hit or miss for getting rid of the smell.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 18th August 2010, 8:56 am

@keke-now i cant answer the cassia question but im gonna be using paprika for my henna for color too! As far as the aloe gel, i've been using the "aloe gro" recipe n the gel from ur plant will do just fine (if not better than what we buy in the store). u can pretty much twirk it to your liking becuz the recipe consists of: aloe gel, water, eucalyptus-sage-peppermint EO (essential oils, i got mine from whole foods but im sure u can find em in local vitamin shops n etc).

i actually dont use water w/my aloe mix n i also add tea tree EO as well. this actually reminds me i need to re-up on my aloe!!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by KeAnia 18th August 2010, 8:08 pm

Thanks Nubie

I think I may make up a little mixure this weekend. Unfortynately we don't have a Whole foods here but I am going to be checking the local vitamin and health food stores.
KeAnia
KeAnia

Back to top Go down

Post by jasikazenith 20th August 2010, 4:56 am

Hairayuveda ,you use a natural things for a hair you use a henna,coconut oil,almond oil or a egg and you also use a amla,aritha this a best for a Hairayuveda and this a best for a hair and it be your hair silky and strong and it be a growth.

jasikazenith

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 20th August 2010, 3:16 pm

Hi All!!
So I henna'd last sunday and was quite pleased with the result, the color (with the clay added) gave me a deep red, less like a burgundy more like a maroon. I think this week as a part of this experiment I will add more clay (or I may try it with the red oxide) and less henna (btw, if youre wonderin what I'm rambling about these are my latest hijinks to find alternatives in terms of coloring, to give us deeper color with fewer apps and hopefully find a subby for indigo for those of us who cant tolerate the acidity) What a Face

I'm going for different shades of red (darker ones, more firey ones), browns, blacks and another important thing is how they cover grey so I'm doing my homework and as I get this thing more developed will definitely be asking for some willing volunteers What a Face

Okay so Baidyanath Mahabhringraj Oil is love Laughing
I use it every night before bed, simply rub a little right onto my spritzed hair and wrap it. Today I used it as an oil rinse I love it and my hair has been soo soft without the need for very much of anything else.
This is a bittersweet comment though, I used to carry this and am having a super hard time getting a hold of it (like its going to take months before i can get it again) so I had to take it off my website, but I'm telling you all if you dont have any get some...FROM SOMEWHERE, LOL

Another disturbing thing, ordering from some websites they just give the product and dont list ingredients.
Well I'm adding some new things and saw that our beloved Dabur has a few new shampoos a Vatika root strengthening shampoo and Black shine Shampoo.
Sounds perfect right???
Well i order a few cases and when they arrived rushed to open it up. Smells absolutely divine as I look at the ingredients amidst the SLS I see formaldehyde affraid
yes, there is embalming fluid in the shampoo. i remember being in high school and some of the girls would use formaldehyde from the Chem Lab to make their nails grow, but that was a little too freaky for me. I mean its a cancer causing chemical that is used to preserve dead bodies...Just a little heads up. I was on the floor and shipped all of it right back!!
Herbal Shampoo will do just fine for now Wink
Oh and I also was in a state of disbelief when I detangled my hair post henna and found (sit down here) about 15 strands of hair in my comb!!! OMG, I can't believe I usually have hair running all down my shower drain and I wont even get into the hair in the comb ...reduced to nearly nothing. I love this stuff ya'll run
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Natural-In_Me 20th August 2010, 9:15 pm

BQ-That is great can't wait to try it can you post a picture of the box/bottle so that we can be sure that we are purchasing the right product.
Natural-In_Me
Natural-In_Me

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 21st August 2010, 12:43 pm

Here it is comes in 50 ml and 100 ml I believe but it goes a long way
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 21st August 2010, 10:03 pm

so BQ do u have any left?
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th August 2010, 1:01 pm

Last night, I DCed with amla and maka. I used three tablespoons of each. I added enough water to make it a thin mud-like consistency. I added two tablespoons of olive oil and honey and mixed well. Lastly, I added Giovanni’s 50-50 conditioner (the moisturizing one). It was probably 1/2 c – ¾ c. I mixed it all until it was a thin mud-like consistency. I did not cleanse my hair beforehand. I had done so Saturday. I spritzed my hair with water and detangled with my Jibere shower comb (hair had conditioner in it). I sectioned my hair in 10 and applied it thickly to each twisting my hair afterward. I sat under the steamer for 20 minutes or so then rinsed and co-washed. Of course, I did my final rinse in cold water. My hair is soft. It appears as if it is growing. The longest part of my hair is MBL (an inch or so past my bra strap).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 24th August 2010, 7:10 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:Last night, I DCed with amla and maka. I used three tablespoons of each. I added enough water to make it a thin mud-like consistency. I added two tablespoons of olive oil and honey and mixed well. Lastly, I added Giovanni’s 50-50 conditioner (the moisturizing one). It was probably 1/2 c – ¾ c. I mixed it all until it was a thin mud-like consistency. I did not cleanse my hair beforehand. I had done so Saturday. I spritzed my hair with water and detangled with my Jibere shower comb (hair had conditioner in it). I sectioned my hair in 10 and applied it thickly to each twisting my hair afterward. I sat under the steamer for 20 minutes or so then rinsed and co-washed. Of course, I did my final rinse in cold water. My hair is soft. It appears as if it is growing. The longest part of my hair is MBL (an inch or so past my bra strap).

Your hair look so beautiful and healthy ChrsLvsBks.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th August 2010, 9:59 am

Thanks carfi!
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 25th August 2010, 2:23 pm

BQ

What type of clay are you using? Unfortunately, you are waking up my pjism!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next